• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What non-HGVC timeshares do you own

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I'll address this from a slightly different angle - we are in the process of adding HGVC as a supplement to our Marriott ownership. We've owned Marriott since 2014 - an off-season week in Hilton Head, Marriott Destination points, and are just now working on closing on the purchase of a Maui Ocean Club 2BR EOY unit. We're also adding a 7000 point HGVC contract at SeaWorld (closed last week; waiting on HGVC to transfer ownership) to give us access to HGVC. Hilton will offer us more options on the Big Island of Hawaii and in Waikiki, and give us access to some other places at a lower ongoing occupancy cost than Marriott points.

As to the other question of II vs. RCI, we have been RCI members since 1999 with an ownership at Kaanapali Beach Club. We sold that KBC right after we bought our Marriott points, but still have 51 RCI TPUs left over that we haven't been able to use yet. We keep paying to extend the expiration date so as not to lose them. We had two trips we had to cancel, and that has contributed to the long carryover on these TPUs. Other than the HGVC locations, we are singularly unimpressed with RCI. The quality is spotty - at best - and, other than a known brand like HGVC, we have found it hard to find consistent quality in RCI. Disney is obviously another quality RCI option, but those are difficult to find and since our kids are both basically out of the nest, Disney has limited appeal (My wife is still a big Disney fan, and we may from time to time do an 'adults' trip to Orlando, until grandkids come along, but HGVC and Marriott will serve us adequately there.)

Because II has Marriott, Westin/Vistana, and Hyatt, I think they have more quality offerings than RCI, but there's plenty of junk in II as well and it's overall, a smaller exchange company than RCI. We have only used II to trade to other Marriotts, though. I suspect that someone hoping to buy into an II resort just to trade into Marriott/Westin/Hyatt may want to consider that all of these resort groups have some sort of internal trading priority that gives other owners within each group priority over traders from outside those groups. So while it is certainly possible to trade into these high-quality systems as a non-member of each group, you would be behind other owners in that system. So, I think it's best to pick the resort system that works best for you for the internal booking/trading, with any external trades you can get as a bonus.

Last edited:

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Bay club is II only. Buy a marriott resort in florida platinuma season and use that as a trader in II. That is what i do with my marriotts. Complements hgvc nicely.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I think this is incorrect. Bay Club is only RCI.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Thanks, so Bay Club on the big island is II? We would enroll with HGVC but if II trading were feasible in addition to HGVC this might justify the higher maintenance fee.

Similar to the Maui Marriott response, our Westin OF maint fee is so high that trading in II or even within Vistana is not worth it. We will trade the studio lock-off sparingly and mostly use or rent it out.
Sorry auto correct got the best of me. Meant RCI only.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Thanks, so Bay Club on the big island is II? We would enroll with HGVC but if II trading were feasible in addition to HGVC this might justify the higher maintenance fee.

Similar to the Maui Marriott response, our Westin OF maint fee is so high that trading in II or even within Vistana is not worth it. We will trade the studio lock-off sparingly and mostly use or rent it out.

I think a Vistana Villages with 81000 might work for you. You can use the points for Vistana's system or exchange the whole week in II. You can pick one up for $1500 or less. Mine is a EOY odd year and I got it for $100.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I think a Vistana Villages with 81000 might work for you. You can use the points for Vistana's system or exchange the whole week in II. You can pick one up for $1500 or less. Mine is a EOY odd year and I got it for $100.

Thanks, I will check it out. What is the annual maintenance fee on this? Do you have to pay Vistana club fees if you already own a Vistana unit?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Thanks, I will check it out. What is the annual maintenance fee on this? Do you have to pay Vistana club fees if you already own a Vistana unit?

About $1400 for an annual. I don't believe you have to pay another club fee but I'm no expert since I just purchased mine. Just make sure it's a Bella or Key West phase because none of the others come with Star Options.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I have 2 Vistana units in addition to my Bay Club one. Sometimes I wish I had more HGVC points and less Vistana, but I'm sure it'll flip next year. I guess I'm one of the few who prefers the Big Island to Maui

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We sold that KBC right after we bought our Marriott points, but still have 51 RCI TPUs left over that we haven't been able to use yet. We keep paying to extend the expiration date so as not to lose them. We had two trips we had to cancel, and that has contribute/

Keep your eye on the sightings forum coming up in March, HGVC will have a bulk deposit for 2019 and I’m sure you can find something to spend your 51 tpus on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Keep your eye on the sightings forum coming up in March, HGVC will have a bulk deposit for 2019 and I’m sure you can find something to spend your 51 tpus on.

That's the exact plan. Hoping to be able to use the March RCI HGVC bulk bank to find a Big Island week to pair with the Marriott Maui Ocean Club unit we're buying and hope to book for March 2019. We could also use our recently acquired HGVC points to book the Big Island when Club Season opens, but I would rather burn the RCI TPUs first, so we can close our old standalone RCI account. That will also let us use the HGVC points for something else.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's the exact plan. Hoping to be able to use the March RCI HGVC bulk bank to find a Big Island week to pair with the Marriott Maui Ocean Club unit we're buying and hope to book for March 2019. We could also use our recently acquired HGVC points to book the Big Island when Club Season opens, but I would rather burn the RCI TPUs first, so we can close our old standalone RCI account. That will also let us use the HGVC points for something else.

I used to own SVR fixed week and got 56 tpu one year. I was able to pick up 2 weeks back to back at Kingsland. I added on a bonus week at KBC and a rental at Shell Holua. We were so chill after a month in Hawaii...

OP: I’m down to just the one HGVC contract now, but I kept the separate RCI and Interval accounts. I’ll just use last calls/AC/Cash Getaways/ TUG LMR to add on weeks now. I can still log in to my GPX account, that one is gone too.

My advice if you want to add on is to be picky about what you take, make sure they will be easy to get rid of in the future. I got rid of 4 contracts easily because they were desirable weeks and traders.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was considering adding another system to my portfolio just to have some options (I have been looking at Wyndham since I live in Metro NY and HGVC doesn't really have very much within day trip distance). Just wondering what other systems some of you folks own, and what you like/don't like about it.

I own Hyatt (HRC) in addition to HGVC - and they are the only two in my modest "portfolio". Just like HGVC, there is no points restriction using their club points with a resale. They are not large, but have 4 locations in Key West, then Bonita Springs Fl (not directly on the ocean but take a ferry to a private island and it has a lazy river), San Antonio, Sedona, Tahoe, Carmel, Maui, Colorado, etc. I have been to Bonita Springs and Key West and loved it. I bought a lower point property mostly as an II trader - because it has very high trading power and I was not impressed with RCI either and wanted access to II and HRC. Just like with HGVC, you have to do external (II) trades thru their website and cannot upgrade - it is points per unit size. We often travel off season in FL, and Marriott (and many Hyatt) studios are bigger than HGVC and sleep 4 with a sleeper sofa. We often do shorter trips since we have friends and relatives to visit while we are in FL.

If I ever expand more, I would likely buy another Hyatt and not HGVC. The reason is that I think Hyatt has the best system for fixed week in that you own a SPECIFIC unit and week - so you are guaranteed the same room and view if you choose to pay for it. In fact, you can choose to reserve part of YOUR week (4,3,or 2 days) and still get your unit and the extra points to boot. So you will find inventory is high seasons is minimal in a place like Key West since most folks use their week. If you are like me and use points, you cannot "save" or "borrow" them easily like you can in HGVC - but you can put them into Interval and they are good for 2 years after you owned week as long as you do it 4 months before your owned week.

They are currently trying to implement a new points program, which is not going well. Resales are not easy to get past ROFR either, but like HGVC is easier with a low points package.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
My advice if you want to add on is to be picky about what you take, make sure they will be easy to get rid of in the future. I got rid of 4 contracts easily because they were desirable weeks and traders.

Great advice. What do you consider the attributes of timeshares that are desirable weeks and traders to sell?

FWIW, it would be nice if we could somehow access the average time on market, volume of sales per resort per year (i.e. how often people buy) similar to ROFR.net tool or $MF/point spreadsheet.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
What is the quality of Shell? I've been considering it.

I think the Shell properties are kind of eclectic, especially in the West club as many of the properties are urban. Vino Bello in Napa is probably their premier property and it is very high quality. Purpose built and beautifully done. Many of the other properties that we use are conversions of one sort or another. The Donatello in San Francisco was/is a hotel and they are very nice very large studio/hotel units. Suites at Fisherman's Wharf was a 60's apartment building. Furnished nicely and great location but small bathroom and kitchen. We love Inn at the Park in San Diego. It was a hotel conversion.

I think the Hawaii properties are a bit more traditional timeshare and appear to be nice quality. Our niece said nice things when we sent them for their honeymoon. We've even stayed in the New Hampshire property. While I felt the best outside the unit feature was that it was in the middle of nowhere, the unit was very nice.

Take a look on their website (www.shellvacationsclub.com). I think you can see the resorts without logging in. The pictures are pretty accurate.

Be aware that Shell has a number of individual clubs (West, Hawaii, Americana and Pacific). Each have their own MF structure and ability to book at 12 months in your own club. At 9 months you can book anywhere in Shell. Be sure you know what you are buying.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I agree with others that Marriott is a great complement to HGVC and that II is superior to RCI. I keep my Worldmark because it trades extremely well, and trade it in II and for HGVC bulk banks.

I do want to put in a plug for Starwood. The quality of the properties is excellent and, like HGVC, the point system can be acquired relatively inexpensively. Until HGVC Maui comes online, Starwood is a great way to access Maui for the resale StarOption buyer.

Timeshares rock!

Best,

Greg

capjak

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC BC & SSR, Marriott GV+MVC Pts, WKORV & SVV, HGVC Flamingo
Open HGVC and Westin Maui and Sheraton Vistana and Marriott Grande Vista and Disney Beach Club and Saratoga Springs. Each has its purpose. I recommend buying something you can use. My

Marriott I like to trade it is a three bedroom which is unusual for trading so has higher power and is part of Florida club.
Disney’s I rent to reduce my fees on other timeshares and Westin/Sheraton is for an annual 3 weeks on Maui which is where I am right now looking at the Ocean from my balacony

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Open HGVC and Westin Maui and Sheraton Vistana and Marriott Grande Vista and Disney Beach Club and Saratoga Springs. Each has its purpose. I recommend buying something you can use. My

Marriott I like to trade it is a three bedroom which is unusual for trading so has higher power and is part of Florida club.
Disney’s I rent to reduce my fees on other timeshares and Westin/Sheraton is for an annual 3 weeks on Maui which is where I am right now looking at the Ocean from my balacony

Wow. I am jealous! BTW...What do you use your HGVC for? What do you consider its best and highest use?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
There is a rumor that Marriott Vacation Club has a bid to acquire Interval International which also owns Vistana/Starwood and Hyatt timeshares. See Marriott thread for details. https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...der-activism-merger-talk-merged.256217/page-3

Although it is tempting to add more to our portfolio, I am going to let the dust settle on our new Westin Kaanapali/Vistana/II relationship and see what II cash getaways offer before adding another property in one of these 3 systems.

I also want to see how the HGVC system plays out with Maui and Ocean Towers (OT) e.g. I wonder if BI properties such as high point Kingsland resale values will temporarily dip with the addition of Ocean Tower similar to what happened with Lagoon/GI and West57/Residences when ROFR was relaxed and owners trading up added to market supply. Alternatively, if OT or GI high point units offer low maintenance fees, it may be worth consolidating our position once resales fully emerge.

Last edited:

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In addition to HGVC I own Vistana, Hyatt, Shell, Wyndham, some TPU generators for trades (trades used by family and friends) and soon a Marriott. HGVC, Shell, Hyatt and Vistana are for internal trades ONLY, and Marriott will be for both internal trades and premium II trades. Wyndham is used equally as often for internal trades as it is for an RCI trader.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
I bought retail at the Iron Blosam at Snow Bird/Alta because I ski. The Cliff next door is more upscale but both are very nice particularly if you ski. MFs are high but what else is new. I have fixed weeks which I like at that location. Buying retail at the Blosam was extremely cheap, I bought in 2007 and people were dumping them for MFs back then (many were just defaulting on there units as well). I usually use my units there but they do have a rental pool that will get you pennies on the dollar if you enter into it.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Maui: Rep told us that current project is dead (but who knows?) With all new construction and waiting for resale pricing, we won't see anything for years. That's why we pulled the trigger on Westin/Kaanapali.
Yes. I was waiting for their project. When it died, that's when I bought at the Marriott.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great advice. What do you consider the attributes of timeshares that are desirable weeks and traders to sell?

FWIW, it would be nice if we could somehow access the average time on market, volume of sales per resort per year (i.e. how often people buy) similar to ROFR.net tool or $MF/point spreadsheet.

Its a constant moving target, I try to follow TUG threads on buying/selling/trading. There is the former RCI rep spreading his wisdom, I tend to agree with his advice on fixed high demand weeks. I owned Vistana fixed week 12 which hit the week before Easter every few years, XMas and NYE weeks are good too. He also advises summer beach fixed weeks in low supply areas.

The few Sheraton/Westin that provide SOs are a good bet.

Vegas Grandview rci points gets high marks if you can find the right one 2br 122k points.

CA beach weeks are all high demand low supply, even the float weeks if you book our September second summer when all the crowds have dissipated.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Starwood is a great way to access Maui for the resale StarOption buyer.

Greg, is Maui really a reasonable expectation for a resale StarOption buyer? Last year when I was evaluating whether to add either a HGVC or Vistana/Westin to complement our existing Marriott ownership, everything I read on the VSE Board was how hard it was for StarOption owners to book the Maui Westins at the 8 month StarOption booking point, except in the shoulder seasons like May or November/early December. As a result, we opted to buy resale EOY at Marriott Maui Ocean Club and a 7000 point HGVC SeaWorld resale for the Big Island/Waikiki. Working on finalizing both as we speak.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Greg, is Maui really a reasonable expectation for a resale StarOption buyer? Last year when I was evaluating whether to add either a HGVC or Vistana/Westin to complement our existing Marriott ownership, everything I read on the VSE Board was how hard it was for StarOption owners to book the Maui Westins at the 8 month StarOption booking point.

It is challenging but if someone is flexible about travel dates and unit sizes, I believe they can book WKORV. I was able to book a 10 night reservation in a 1BR for June 2017 (but didn't keep the reservation) -- I booked online when the system loaded (it loads the night before). However, there weren't any 2BR units available and even the 1BR and Studios were gone by the following morning.

But it is possible -- it's kind of like booking HHV -- you have to be on it exactly when the inventory loads. And I really like WPORV, and prefer it to Marriott Waiohai/Kauai Lagoons/Kauai Beach Club. It's my favorite Kauai property.

All that being said, I really like your MOC purchase and your 7,000 HGVC point purchase. You're going to create lots of options for yourself with your ownership.

Best,

Greg