• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What new benefits could Marriott offer...

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I have seen a lot of discussion/speculation on possible increases of benefits for the Chairman level or the possibility of a new tier all together. Salesman are trying to get presidential owners to get to chairman level in order to get grandfathered in to it. Others feel that there will be a new level for owners with gazillions of points.

Are there any thoughts about what Marriott could offer to sweeten the pot for the higher levels to give chairman some distance from presidential? Do you think there may be another higher tier added. What could they offer that would get your attention?

Just wanted to hear what folks thought on this.

BigDawgTUG

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently, only one Marriott Bonvoy account can be linked to your MVC account, meaning that only one person, for example, is able to get Titanium Elite status. My account is the one that is linked, and I get the Titanium Elite status. My wife gets nothing. I would love to see them permit spouses/partners to be able to link both of their accounts so that both can get the elevated status.

I would also like to see a top tier where cancellations within 60 days don't go into a holding account. Either no holding account penalty or shorten the window to 15 or 10 days out.

Finally, I would love to see some breakfast benefits commensurate with the Bonvoy status. Currently, I can book at hotels using Bonvoy points and get breakfast or book a timeshare and fend for ourselves. It would just be nice to have the choice.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently, only one Marriott Bonvoy account can be linked to your MVC account, meaning that only one person, for example, is able to get Titanium Elite status. My account is the one that is linked, and I get the Titanium Elite status. My wife gets nothing. I would love to see them permit spouses/partners to be able to link both of their accounts so that both can get the elevated status.

I would also like to see a top tier where cancellations within 60 days don't go into a holding account. Either no holding account penalty or shorten the window to 15 or 10 days out.

Finally, I would love to see some breakfast benefits commensurate with the Bonvoy status. Currently, I can book at hotels using Bonvoy points and get breakfast or book a timeshare and fend for ourselves. It would just be nice to have the choice.

Of those I think the later cancellation window is the most likely. More status bumps would require them to pay more money to MAR, and breakfast would require them to pay for breakfast. (I don't see how they could possibly make the HOA's pay for a benefit many owners wouldn't get...)

But a later cancellation window just tightens availability for everyone a bit, which doesn't cost them any actual money I don't think.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
They could offer Ambassador Bonvoy membership. They could offer some method of getting into the new timeshare acquisitions. 14 months reservation window.

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think a new tier will be introduced. If they do, that takes away existing benefits from Chairman. Raising the point threshold achieves the same thing while leaving existing grandfathered.

These are the benefits I would like to see.

• 2 hour early check-in or 2 hour late check-out
  • Chairmen Reservations line that opens 3 hours earlier than the others to snag prime days.
  • Sunday phone support
  • Waived resort/destination fees at Marriott Hotels
  • Complimentary TSA precheck or Global Entry
  • Complimentary Children Activities where a charge is normally incurred (Under $5 activity)
  • Complimentary Midweek Tidy where a charge is normally incurred.
  • Complimentary 2nd parking pass where a charge is normally incurred.
  • Complimentary 30 minute massage session at the spa.
I’m sure I could come up with more.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
All some good suggestions. I’m thinking more about vacation options I’d like to see offered to Chairman level using points:
- all-inclusive resort options such as stays at Sandals or other upper end all-inclusive resorts
- new Explorer collection benefits such as using points for stays at high end beach condos or ski resorts in season (other than MVC locations)

These are ideas that would require more points to access and would encourage owners to increase their portfolios to get more points for these uses as well as achieve chairman status.
I don’t think a new tier level would/ should be added as the “grand fathered in” issue would be very controversial.

And what about a separate MVC VISA card where $$ spent accrue to MVC points or other timeshare benefits (this would probably have to be offered to all MVC members but with enhanced Chairman benefits).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
My two cents.....the more you try to cater to the higher elites in the timeshare business you are going to create a perceived customer service issue for those in the lower tiers. Can't get what you want, etc.

My suggestion would be to open up the Destination Club to the house rentals that you get in Bonvoy. This is where the market is moving and we should start getting into the Air BnB business.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
My two cents.....the more you try to cater to the higher elites in the timeshare business you are going to create a perceived customer service issue for those in the lower tiers. Can't get what you want, etc.

My suggestion would be to open up the Destination Club to the house rentals that you get in Bonvoy. This is where the market is moving and we should start getting into the Air BnB business.
Don’t they sort of have that perk with villas of distinction already? That’s what almost had me buying 7K DC points, to reach the level that allows for booking those villas. I would agree with you, the next generation is traveling differently. Many enjoy the villa (airbnb, VRBO, etc) rental lifestyle. I know i do.

Back to VOD, Thankfully everyone here said the conversion rate wasn’t the best and using DC points for VOD wasn’t the best use of Points.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

FYI...For comparison HGVC allows any level member to combine their Hilton hotel account so both spouses benefit from hotel elite status.

HGVC never charges for mid-week tidies and will deliver/take away towels and sheets daily if desired - no charge other than to tip housekeeping for bringing. You don't need to be an elite to get these benefits. Works for resale too.

In some HGVC's such as Elara Vegas and NYC you call housekeeping anytime and they will come in your room and take away your trash - similar to hotel.

For Vistana, mid-week tidy was free at WKORVN during our home week. We are resale and not elite(!) I hope MVC doesn't change these policies.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
FYI...For comparison HGVC allows any level member to combine their Hilton hotel account so both spouses benefit from hotel elite status.

HGVC never charges for mid-week tidies and will deliver/take away towels and sheets daily if desired - no charge other than to tip housekeeping for bringing. You don't need to be an elite to get these benefits. Works for resale too.
If mid week cleaning is being asked for as a benefit of chairman in MVC, am I to understand that bookings don’t have mid week cleaning? Is that something that weeks owners also experience or do weeks owners get midweek included with no fee? Or do points owners get only one?

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
If mid week cleaning is being asked for as a benefit of chairman in MVC, am I to understand that bookings don’t have mid week cleaning? Is that something that weeks owners also experience or do weeks owners get midweek included with no fee? Or do points owners get only one?

In Aruba at the Surf Club, weeks owners get a mid week cleaning for free and points renters do not (unless we pay).

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate getting the highest villa assignment priority (within view reserved). Reserved parking spots would also be a nice perk. Actually, I think it would be great to have numbered parking spaces at each resort that are assigned for specific villas. We sometimes avoid going out at night because we will lose our space. NCV and resorts with lockoffs often have parking issues.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score

Many/most mainland MVC resorts do not provide a mid-week cleaning to anyone without extra charge. I was suprised when I learned that as well, as I belive it is standard at every other high end timeshare brand, and many legacy ones do it as well.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Many/most mainland MVC resorts do not provide a mid-week cleaning to anyone without extra charge. I was suprised when I learned that as well, as it is standard at every other high end timeshare brand, and many legacy ones do it as well.
Yeah that is very “shocking”. I’ve stayed in vistana in Orlando and received midweek cleaning when I booked for 5 nights with star options. I’ll expect no cleaning when i stay at MVC for the week this December. I hope MVC doesn’t implement that at all of their resorts in the future. But I’m in agreement then with everyone else who said that should be a perk with chairman club. I know with vistana you get it if your elite on all of your reservations. Otherwise you get cleanings per reservation for the amount of ownerships you own? I think I have that correct. But yeah, MVC should give it to CC

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
On balance, other systems don't get access to 5 night travel packages, HGVC stays don't count as elite nights and there are no Hilton hotel discounts so perhaps it all evens out. The systems invest in different benefits.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don’t they sort of have that perk with villas of distinction already? That’s what almost had me buying 7K DC points, to reach the level that allows for booking those villas. I would agree with you, the next generation is traveling differently. Many enjoy the villa (airbnb, VRBO, etc) rental lifestyle. I know i do.

Back to VOD, Thankfully everyone here said the conversion rate wasn’t the best and using DC points for VOD wasn’t the best use of Points.

There is also Third Home which has had some excellent conversion values for DC points users.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
On balance, other systems don't get access to 5 night travel packages, HGVC stays don't count as elite nights and there are no Hilton hotel discounts so perhaps it all evens out. The systems invest in different benefits.
No elite night credits at Harborside resort at Atlantis which stinks because that’s where I always go.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I don’t think a new tier will be introduced. If they do, that takes away existing benefits from Chairman. Raising the point threshold achieves the same thing while leaving existing grandfathered.

These are the benefits I would like to see.

• 2 hour early check-in or 2 hour late check-out
  • Chairmen Reservations line that opens 3 hours earlier than the others to snag prime days.
  • Sunday phone support
  • Waived resort/destination fees at Marriott Hotels
  • Complimentary TSA precheck or Global Entry
  • Complimentary Children Activities where a charge is normally incurred (Under $5 activity)
  • Complimentary Midweek Tidy where a charge is normally incurred.
  • Complimentary 2nd parking pass where a charge is normally incurred.
  • Complimentary 30 minute massage session at the spa.
I’m sure I could come up with more.
I think any benefits added should not impinge on the rights of other owners. CC should give perks but not at the expense of any other owner.
Earlier access to reservations would mean that other owners might effectively be licked out of prime reservations, and I really think that would be a huge mistake both public relations-wise and likely legally, since don’t documents guarantee that at least 50% of the units will be available at the 12 month mark?

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

It varies by property and the type of "stay" you are on. For example, when we go to OceanWatch as points owners we do not get a mid-week tidy service (but can buy one at check-in). However, when we stayed there about 4 years ago on an 'Encore' visit, a mid-week tidy service was included as part of our stay.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Examples of new benefits I would personally enjoy seeing:

Ambassador Bonvoy Level (but there are costs to MVC associated with making that happen).
Shorter 'Holding Account' window allowing reservation cancellations up to 30 days prior instead of current 60 days.
Higher discount for last minute points bookings than the current 30% and/or a longer 'last minute' discount window of 90 days instead of 60 days.
Included Mid-Week Tidy Service for stays of 5 nights or longer.
DW would love a spa credit (even just a 30 min. massage or mani/pedi).
Building preference within the view category reserved. (My requests have been hit/miss over the years.)
A $50 resort credit usable for activities or F&B on stays of 5 nights or more. (When you pay $15 to tie dye a T-Shirt that cost $3 for the resort to buy, how much is it really costing the resort?)
Early Check-In / Late Check-out. (I think Steven's idea of +2 hours is reasonable on both ends.)
Earlier same day phone access for inventory release reservations. (I think Steven's idea of +3 hours is reasonable.)
Expanded/longer 'Signature Experience' opportunities - Concerts/Award Ceremonies/Sports Championships. Some of the ones I've seen are too short and I'm still holding out for court-side seats to an NCAA Championship.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
This is really eye opening as I learn about the MVC system:

HGVC allows reservation cancellations up to 31 days prior for all members (incl. resales) not 60 days. They charge for cancellations $100 but you can change to a new reservation for free.

HGVC will also give building preference within view category if you call ahead and it is available. Vistana honored my building request based on timestamp of reservation and calling ahead. No need to be elite or developer sale.

As a MVC owner, be careful what you ask for wrt mid-week clean. It means increased operating costs which translates to increasing the already high MF.

Housekeeping may not be much. For Worldmark, I believe housekeeping is < $100 extra per week. Most HGVC MF and Hyatt are sub $1.5k MF, which is less than many MVCI MF yet HGVC includes a midweek clean as a standard part of the visit. I believe Hyatt does too.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Grande Ocean
No phone calls from MVC sales/concierge trying to schedule a sales presentation during your stay. ;)

We should do it during the time the villa is being cleaned (as part of the bribe for attending)! LOL