• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What kind of deal did you get buying Resale? Advice please

gilbbr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, fairly new Tugger hear, looking to purchase a Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch 3/3 Diamond Lockout with 2950 annual points.

I am having a hard time determining if this is a good value or not.... Hoping some would chime in....

MF seem low at approx. $0.59 per point.
Initial Purchase price is $4.23 per point.

The Initial Purchase price would be paid in cash, not financed. According to the ROFR data from the sticky above, the $/Point seem to bee somewhere in the middle to a tad high, but the MF are on the low end for sure.

Actual details are as follows:
Diamond 3/3 lock off at Wild Oaks Ranch.
$12,900 plus $1750 MF (approx.) for 2950 points.
2018 first use, starting week 31, with 2950 LUCP available but look like they will expire shortly after closing.

We are so excited to become Hyatt RC owners, and I "think" we have found a fair deal. But I over analyze EVERYTHING, and could use some affirmation, or redirection. Candid replies are welcome and appreciated, criticism is not.

We live about 5 hrs away from this resort, and I think we would use it every so often, but we would really like to trade over to Colorado and Florida, both in the off season, and smaller units. We are trying to purchase enough points to make a few trips per year, while only paying 1 maintenance fee.... Are we on the right track?

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
The maintenance fee per point is good, however (and some may debate this) the purchase price seems a bit high to me. You have a few options. First is to haggle with Angie to get the price down. You can say the points it currently has are irrelivent as they will be expired before the closing process is over. If she tries to say Hyatt will ROFR for anything less, that's BS RIGHT NOW because of the current situation with HPP, and the ILG / Marriott purchase. Second is to buy off flEabay, but that might be months or a year of watching and waiting for something interesting to come up, and even when/if it does, you may be dealing with a scammer or it might take a ridiculously long time to transfer. Angie, the agent for option #1 is a known (you can search for her name here) individual who is not a scammer. Third, you can wait for a different listing. They will come along, you may or may not be able to get a better deal down the road. That being said, once the Marriott / ILG purchase is done, and Marriott comes in and straightens out Hyatt / HPP (and they will), ROFR will become a thing again. What I'm saying is that right now, I believe we are in a sweet spot or a window where ROFR is temporarily not being exercised, so you have a time limit to "sit and wait" for options 2&3. Personally, if you like Wild Oaks, and you are OK with owning long term with all the uncertainties that brings (see the previous postings re HPP and the Marriott purchase), I'd take a hard look at option 1.

All this being said, Hyatt has been a wonderful purchase for my little family. Good luck.

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
I'm with Sapper in that the price seems a little high, with the points due to run out soon, and the possibility of not being able to use them. Not knowing what the due date to runout on the points, and if the paper work was completed in time, thus being recognized in Interval as an owner you may be able to transfer and use the points in EEE if they aren't already there(EEE). That being said I wouldn't hold my breath.
It should also be noted that as a Hyatt owner you can't trade into a Hyatt in Interval, trading only with the availability within Hyatt. Best of luck and WELCOME TO TUGG!

gilbbr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies! After doing the math for the last 2 years on similar properties, the points do seem to be on the higher end... I love the opportunity and flexibility that the 3000 points would offer us. IF ROFR was enacted again, and we choose to sell in say 5 years. (not planning to, but you never know where life will take you!) Do you think we would get close to what we paid back from the sale? Maybe 75%? If they do start to act upon ROFR, that should HELP resale value, correct?

Our intention is to USE our points, not to sell anytime soon, but I also don't want to throw $13,000 away if "life" happens, and its really difficult to see how easily timeshares sell on the resale market. Are there any ways to obtain "comps" for Hyatt, aside from the ROFR info that Kal collected?

Thank you so much for any additional insight!

scsu_hockey_fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, fairly new Tugger hear, looking to purchase a Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch 3/3 Diamond Lockout with 2950 annual points.

I am having a hard time determining if this is a good value or not.... Hoping some would chime in....

MF seem low at approx. $0.59 per point.
Initial Purchase price is $4.23 per point.

The Initial Purchase price would be paid in cash, not financed. According to the ROFR data from the sticky above, the $/Point seem to bee somewhere in the middle to a tad high, but the MF are on the low end for sure.

2018 first use, starting week 31, with 2950 LUCP available but look like they will expire shortly after closing.

We are so excited to become Hyatt RC owners, and I "think" we have found a fair deal. But I over analyze EVERYTHING, and could use some affirmation, or redirection. Candid replies are welcome and appreciated, criticism is not.

We live about 5 hrs away from this resort, and I think we would use it every so often, but we would really like to trade over to Colorado and Florida, both in the off season, and smaller units. We are trying to purchase enough points to make a few trips per year, while only paying 1 maintenance fee.... Are we on the right track?
I was looking at this one also. The purchase price seems good for a 3 bedroom in diamond season, from what I've seen in the past. Does the timing of the points work for you? What time of year do you like to travel? Do you have a lot of friends and family in the Texas area? Is august a time you would go to san Antonio if the trading system goes down the toilet, as we don't know what's going to happen with hpp and Marriott taking over. I passed on this one as the timing of the points are not ideal for us and August is to hot and humid in San Antonio for us. If June was diamond season then the story might be different.

gilbbr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was looking at this one also. The purchase price seems good for a 3 bedroom in diamond season, from what I've seen in the past. Does the timing of the points work for you? What time of year do you like to travel? Do you have a lot of friends and family in the Texas area? Is august a time you would go to san Antonio if the trading system goes down the toilet, as we don't know what's going to happen with hpp and Marriott taking over. I passed on this one as the timing of the points are not ideal for us and August is to hot and humid in San Antonio for us. If June was diamond season then the story might be different.
Thank you for your reply!

Does the timing of the points work for you?

Yes, we actually live in Texas, worst case scenario, we would use the deeded week, as it is the week before school starts.
We plan to go to Orlando In the Fall, Florida panhandle (or keys :)) in April-May, and Colorado at least 1x in the summer each year.

Is august a time you would go to san Antonio if the trading system goes down the toilet, as we don't know what's going to happen with hpp and Marriott taking over.

This was one of the reasons this unit was appealing to us... because if trading diminished, we could still enjoy a nice family vacation in a location we could drive too. The unit is a bit larger than we would likely ever use, but the ability to pay the least amount of MF per point seems of greatest value in the long term.

scsu_hockey_fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply!

Does the timing of the points work for you?

Yes, we actually live in Texas, worst case scenario, we would use the deeded week, as it is the week before school starts.
We plan to go to Orlando In the Fall, Florida panhandle (or keys :)) in April-May, and Colorado at least 1x in the summer each year.

Is august a time you would go to san Antonio if the trading system goes down the toilet, as we don't know what's going to happen with hpp and Marriott taking over.

This was one of the reasons this unit was appealing to us... because if trading diminished, we could still enjoy a nice family vacation in a location we could drive too. The unit is a bit larger than we would likely ever use, but the ability to pay the least amount of MF per point seems of greatest value in the long term.
Gilbrr, sent you a p.m.

Renzo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin lagunamar/Marriott
New to Hyatt. I own mvc and Starwood. A friend wants to sell me a 1 bed Hyatt highlands wk 4, 1880 points for $500 Maintenance $1600 aprox. Does Hyatt have something similar like Marriott where you can’t use the point system if u buy resale. Is this a good deal? I would imagine 1880 points won’t take me anywhere really? Please advise. Ty

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
New to Hyatt. I own mvc and Starwood. A friend wants to sell me a 1 bed Hyatt highlands wk 4, 1880 points for $500 Maintenance $1600 aprox. Does Hyatt have something similar like Marriott where you can’t use the point system if u buy resale. Is this a good deal? I would imagine 1880 points won’t take me anywhere really? Please advise. Ty

Well, it depends on where and when you want to go. I call our little gold week our energizer bunny. We recouped our initial cost long ago. You need to take a look at the Hyatt points chart and see how 1880 points will work for you. I've considered buying a diamond week, but really can't justify it when our little gold week gives us at least 2 nice trips a year.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That is a good deal, and you CAN use the points resale, but I would expect those to be lost to ROFR.

northjerseyjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Wellington (Newport, RI), Hyatt Residence Club Coconut Plantation (Bonita Springs, Fl), Inn on Long Wharf (Newport, RI)
We are on the other end of the spectrum. We bought at HRC Coconut Plantation week # 44. We have no desire to trade this.

We travel to Florida every year in the first week of November. We paid $500 for the 2br unit. The original owner paid $13000.

This has but 1300 annual points, but if we do not plan to trade, who cares?

bdh

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are on the other end of the spectrum. We bought at HRC Coconut Plantation week # 44. We have no desire to trade this.

We travel to Florida every year in the first week of November. We paid $500 for the 2br unit. The original owner paid $13000.

This has but 1300 annual points, but if we do not plan to trade, who cares?

An excellent example of there is no one singular "best" TS for everyone. Bought correctly and used correctly, the TS product is hard to beat. The key to determining the "best" is a function of how much money an individual deems appropriate for the purchase/annual maintenance fees and what their travel objectives/patterns are.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score

Re-sale can use the points with in Hyatt. They may also be moved over to II. IF you are using it as a points only, there are other properties with lower maintenance fees. That being said, Highlands Inn is a wonderful property. If you are going to use the property, you might want to find out what the unit number is, and see what the view will be (garden vs horizon vs ocean). 1880 points is what I would consider a minimum quantity of points, but everyone is different. Right now, I would not worry about ROFR... this time next year may be a different story.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Right now, I would not worry about ROFR... this time next year may be a different story.

I agree. If one is inclined to buy a resale unit in HRC, this is the time. Once Marriott begins to consolidate its portfolio, changes will be coming and they likely will be more aggressive in exercising ROFR.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Are we on the right track?

As an owner of 2BR diamond week, I would say this is a good deal. Just buy it and don't overanalyze. Just be aware that Hyatt's program is in the midst of changing due to the HRPP program and the purchase of ILG by MVC. Personally, I believe HRC owners will come out of this with more options so will be a positive but you never know. I also expect more ROFR activity once the ILG purchase closes so you should buy now if you like the property.

Renzo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Re-sale can use the points with in Hyatt. They may also be moved over to II. IF you are using it as a points only, there are other properties with lower maintenance fees. That being said, Highlands Inn is a wonderful property. If you are going to use the property, you might want to find out what the unit number is, and see what the view will be (garden vs horizon vs ocean). 1880 points is what I would consider a minimum quantity of points, but everyone is different. Right now, I would not worry about ROFR... this time next year may be a different story.
How difficult is it to exchange internally to siesta key? I know with ii is impossible....Also, would I be allow to rent an exchange if I can’t use it?

I know other hyatts have lower maintenance but they could also be more pricey for 1880 points.

Thanks you all for your help.

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score
How difficult is it to exchange internally to siesta key? I know with ii is impossible....Also, would I be allow to rent an exchange if I can’t use it?

I know other hyatts have lower maintenance but they could also be more pricey for 1880 points.

Siesta Key is the hardest to trade into (both due to fewer quantity of units, and owners renting their units as opposed to trading them). This is not to say it is impossible, I have seen it a few times... but I have seen more availability at every other property... including Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek and the new one in Hawaii.

Think of it like this, depending on the unit view, if you don't like it, you can list it here on TUG... or even eBay and make more than the $500 your friend wants.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
I am wondering what the chances will be to get a weekend or a week during ski season in any of the CO properties if you own elsewhere. What would the chances of a week during a holiday be?

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what the chances will be to get a weekend or a week during ski season in any of the CO properties if you own elsewhere. What would the chances of a week during a holiday be?

For a full week during peak ski season, you need a diamond week elsewhere to exchange into the the CO resorts. The chances of an exchange is very good especially if you are not particular which week - with Breck being the easiest trade and Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek being the hardest. In general, a Jan week is the easiest month to trade into (from Jan-Mar).

Sapper

TUG Member
Reaction score

I picked up a Park Hyatt for this December about nine months out.

Marathoner is correct about Main Street Station in Breck being the easiest, then Mountain Lodge in Beaver Creek, then Aspen, then the hardest is Park Hyatt in Beaver Creek. You have to be very flexible on the use week... not sure you would ever see a holiday week though.

Venter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Club Son Antem, Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve, Marriott Vacation Club @ Los Suenos, MVC points, Sheraton Lakeside Terrace, Sheraton Flex, Westin Flex, Aventuras
Thank you for your replies.

I may actually not do a whole week but maybe some weekends and would consider one bedrooms and studios as well. Diamond is a bit pricy so I am looking at a platinum or gold two bedroom. Hopefully I can get a platinum for a reasonable price with fair MFs.

Any recommendations for what to look out for? I may consider every other year to just dip my toes in the water.

ivywag

TUG Member
Reaction score

You would not be able to rent an exchange. Hyatt only allows you to rent the deeded week/unit that you own.

Renzo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You would not be able to rent an exchange. Hyatt only allows you to rent the deeded week/unit that you own.
Good to know. Thanks. I didn’t know

Renzo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If it’s against the rule I wouldn’t do it but how would they know? Just being curious......at check in maybe?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
If it’s against the rule I wouldn’t do it but how would they know? Just being curious......at check in maybe?
I wouldn't do it but at our owners update the sales supervisor said it was fine. He did it all the time and no one cared. Of course it was part of his sales pitch.