TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

What it's like to fly Southwest to Hawaii: Impressions & thoughts

Discussion in 'Vacation Travel Information' started by MULTIZ321, May 30, 2019.

1. MULTIZ321

MULTIZ321 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
    ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
    Luanne, BDMX2 and Fredward like this.
  2. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Thanks,:thumbup: . Richard this thread is very close to my heart.

3. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Good article. My sister flew United to Maui non-stop to/from Denver, and when she arrived at the airport to visit with me (while I was waiting at the airport for Rick to bring the rental car, which took 3 hours!) before heading up to West Maui, she was ravenous. She said United offered one bag of peanuts. She didn't know they stopped all meal services on those flights. They used to give a substantial snack. It's like 7.5 hours without anything to eat.

4. SandyPGravel

SandyPGravel Guest

OTOH I was totally amazed to be served an entire boxed meal on American from Maui to Dallas last year. I didn't realize American did that. (We flew United to Oahu on the way there.) It was a pleasant surprise although I wasn't ready to eat a full meal when I was trying to force myself to sleep. Food wasn't too bad either. We were originally supposed to fly on Alaskan airlines to Oahu but that completely fell apart. Alaska was serving food as well.

5. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

This article was eerily similar to my report here on TUG about our being on the inaugural SW flight San Jose to Maui. We will fly home on SW to Oakland all too soon.

Yep, it's still Southwest, and if you like flying Southwest, taking it to Hawaii is just a longer SW experience.

If you don't like SW, you won't like taking it to Hawaii, either.

Jim

6. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I love SW. I will probably use it to fly to Hawaii if I can use miles, or if the price is significantly less than other carriers. I'm used to bringing food on board.

7. slip

slip TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pono Kai, 20 wks: Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
    I fly Denver to Maui or Honolulu or Lihue on United all of the time when we go to Hawaii. Once in a while we go though LA but there is always food available. It’s not free. The only free things are soft drinks and pretzels. We had one flight where they ran out of some things but never no food. I don’t think it’s correct that they stopped all meal services on those flights. We just flew that route two weeks ago.

linsj likes this.
  8. andysnovel

andysnovel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Flex, Vistana Bella Section
    SW would be too cramped for me on long flights. I constantly fly with them to ISP from RDU, mostly connecting flights. Flight staff is always friendly, but seats are tight and cramped. I want food options and more comfortable seats, there is no upgrading on SW. They are ok for short flights and no cancellation fees are huge, but not enough for long haul flights.

9. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    I am sure my sister expected it to be free. She flies to Europe a lot for work and doesn't have to pay for meals, so I guess that is just her expectation. Plus, I remember flying Hawaiian and getting free food in Feb 2004. Now we fly 1st and always get food, such as it is.

slip likes this.
  10. slip

slip TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pono Kai, 20 wks: Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
    Ok, that makes sense. I just didn’t want others to think there was no food. :thumbup:

11. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    The best part is Southwest also doing island hopper service. I never pay for bags on United or Alaska because I'm Gold on both but then I have to shell out to Hawaiian for a short hop.

I was able to snag the $29 intro fare from Maui to HNL during our October trip and free bags!

klpca likes this.
  12. Luanne

The cramped part is my biggest concern. We try to get exit row seats whenever we can when we fly SW, but even with their regular seats I feel they have more room than most other carriers economy seats. But we do purchase United's economy plus or Alaska's seats with more room when we go to Hawaii.

13. Passepartout

That's kind of the thing. The 'standard' seats on SW have almost as much room as Economy Plus on other carriers. Again saving more money, along with no baggage charges. We also found that SW had better East bound schedules too. We will be able to leave Maui about mid-day and sleep in our bed at home that night. All the other carriers require a red-eye or layover on the West Coast to connect to home. More savings!

chalee94 likes this.
  14. chalee94

chalee94 TUG Member

Just got back from Kauai and American was extremely cramped. Word is that they are planning to add even more seats to their plans. American had pay-only meal options and their 6.5 to 7 hour flight from PHX to Kauai didn't have wifi. They also didn't assign me a seat at check-in, despite charging extra for me to supposedly choose a seat when I booked the flights originally.

Needless to say, I won't make that mistake of choosing American next time...

15. Passepartout

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... On SW, wi-fi is $8 for a whole day (still too high for me) and movies, live TV, music, and access to SW.com on your device is free.

16. Firepath

Firepath TUG Member

I think it's funny that the airlines are concerned about hungry passengers from the west coast to Hawaii. They think nothing of flying us cross-country with short connections and no food and longer flight times than to Hawaii. We have to bring our own food if we want to eat.

17. davidvel

davidvel TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
    As others have noted, this is not accurate at all. Lots of food options on that flight. And I can't imagine why someone would be on a plane for 8 hours and not eat anything, arriving to Hawaii starving, to avoid paying $10 for a meal.

18. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    I flew AA LAX to LIH last week and it was a great flight overall. It was crowded due to a DFW flight that missed the earlier connection to LIH but otherwise good. And this trip I did carry on only, so was able to quickly get out of the airport and move on...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Luanne

But you still have to change planes on the west coast don't you? Is it just a shorter connect time?

20. Passepartout

Yes, we will change in Oakland. 55 minutes between flights.

Luanne likes this.
  21. Luanne

Oakland is a nice little airport to get in and out of. That's where we fly into when we come to the San Francisco Bay Area since we can get a nonstop flight from Albuquerque.

22. OldGuy

OldGuy Guest

Resorts Owned:
    some
    Not Southwest, but from Kansas City to Kauai, and back, me and mine found the flights out and back to be grueling. We were exhausted.

There's nothing more enjoyable than being cooped up in a metal cylinder with a bunch of coughing and hacking people. :(

Because of the flight times from Lihue to Honolulu to Dallas to Kansas City, the day coming back started at 6:00 AM and ended at 8:00 AM the next day. I was the only one awake for the drive from the Kansas City airport to our home. Good thing I was the driver.

Probably why we have not gone back, that and Scotty's transporter being so unreliable. Beam me to Lihue, Scotty.

23. jjking42

jjking42 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinion Pointe, Westin Kierland, Wyndham Flagstaff
    I am A list preferred with SW and have lots of miles but won’t fly with them to Hawaii until they get the 737 Max back in the air. The older planes are too cramped. We fly SW to the west coast then get on Alaska or Hawaiian Airlines in either premium class or first class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slip likes this.