• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What is the progress on the new Kihei resort on Maui? Is it in progress?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Just wondering because I have never been on a Hilton timeshare presentation in my life, and I would like to go on one on Maui, if I ever go on one at all. We leave for Maui 8/20. However, we are staying in West Maui at Kahana Beach, so not close to where the resort is going to be.

We tried to find it last trip in March and couldn't find anything new in Kihei, and I told Rick I thought it was supposed to be by the Maui aquarium. No activity there at all, and I don't see how anything would fit there.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Hello Cindy,

We think the HGVC Maui property has been discontinued. I drove past the site (in Kihei) last week and it looked unchanged from when I drove past it 3 years ago. We've heard they lost their financing and we do not expect this to return. HGVC rocks and worth looking at for the Big Island and Oahu though! Enjoy your trip to Maui.

Best,

Greg

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This past March when we were on Maui and staying in Kihei nothing was being done at that property. We'll be going back March 2019, I'll report back after that trip.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Well that would be great news if true! They don't have any earning releases for while, but HGV often doesn't wait for those to make announcements.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Wow, I agree, that would be great news. I will be in Maui also (in March). Unfortunately, I had to rent instead of using HGVC.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed at that property when it was the "Maui Lu" more than 40 years ago. Location is great. Last time I stayed in Kihei (last year) the hotel rooms on the water side of the road were still standing.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Very cool. I love that HGVC is expanding like they are! Maui, Barbados, Chicago, Myrtle Beach, these are all destinations I am looking forward to. I’m sure the points will be outrageous (the reports on Barbados points in another thread confirm), but it would be worth it for some of these locations.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I’m not getting my hopes to high. If it gets built, they’ll probably make it some sort of exclusive resort us commoners can’t reserve unless it’s less than 60 days before check in.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Thanks for the update :thumbup:

From the above article...

The Maui Planning Commission granted a seven-year, 11-month time extension Tuesday to the timeshare project taking the place of the old Maui Lu Resort in Kihei.

The extension moves the completion deadline from Feb. 2, 2020, to Dec. 31, 2027, for the 388-unit project, which has changed hands and undergone major design changes over the past few years....

Kupono Partners has recently started “pre-site work” and plans to start work on the buildings in the first quarter of next year, Beaton said. The developer is looking for an extension now “to ensure that both the financial and operational viability of the project is achieved.”Beaton said it would give Kupono Partners time to find, hire and train employees; phase out the more than $400 million it expects to invest in the project; maximize the use of local contract labor; and install off-site infrastructure.

The estimated opening date of the project’s first phase is December 2020. It would include four timeshare buildings with 131 units, as well as all the support buildings on site, including the clubhouse, pool, operations building, beach club and off-site improvements.

The second phase of four buildings with 149 units is expected to start construction in September 2022 and open by August 2024. The third phase of four buildings with 108 units is expected to start construction in November 2025 and open by July 2027.

Once completed, the Maui Bay Villas would employ a total of 346 people......

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Unless I missed it, I didn't see any mention of the TS being built for HGV.

holdaer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Parc Soleil, a HGVC
Paradise, a HGVC
In February 2015, when the Maui Lu was being torn down, Beaton said that the development would become a Hilton Grand Vacations Timeshare Resort.

Will Beaton is development manager and representative for project owner Kupono Partners.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Same development manager as before, and NO mention of change. Article does include the line above that holdaer added that stated in Feb 2015 it was HGVC. So whether it is still HGVC is now the question. The developer and Manager are still the same players. What did the last HGVC investor meeting state?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Same development manager as before, and NO mention of change. Article does include the line above that holdaer added that stated in Feb 2015 it was HGVC. So whether it is still HGVC is now the question. The developer and Manager are still the same players. What did the last HGVC investor meeting state?

I was kind of surprised that there was not a change of the developer. The article spoke of reducing the density, which i would guess was requirement from the local government, as most developers want the greatest density so they can sell more units.

As for HGV, they have not mentioned Maui in a long time. I just finished listening to the webcast from the Investor day the held the first week of December. They discussed a some of the other upcoming resorts, but no mention of Maui. All of the resorts they mentioned have already been announced.

Based on everything they are doing Maui still makes sense for them, so they still seem like the logical partner for this resort, but until its announced again it hard to really know.

They did share at the Investor day that do plan to resume acting a developer for more resorts than they have in the recent past. Perhaps Maui would be a good location to develop on their own, but its pretty built up, so finding a better location may be tough.