• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2016 - to present ] What is the best movie and or Tv series you have watched on Netflix or Amazon Prime??

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I've started Call the Midwife on Netflix after it was mentioned here. I'd only seen the first episode on PBS -- at 9PM on Sunday night it's impossible to stay awake with a low key show with British accents. I do better with the zombies instead!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed binging on 7 series of Doc Martin recently. Had to get the 7th on Acorn TV.
This was a good recommendation. Thank you. We looked for this series after your posting. We finished watching Seasons 1-6 and finishing Season 7. We had been watching so many murder mystery series so it was a good change, although it could still get bloody. Puke! :)

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
This was a good recommendation. Thank you. We looked for this series after your posting. We finished watching Seasons 1-6 and finishing Season 7. We had been watching so many murder mystery series so it was a good change, although it could still get bloody. Puke! :)

I've read that they are filming season 8!

"Roger"

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, ep 1 should be in Acorn. I read that each episode is being made available in Acorn a day after it is shown on British telly.
Episodes 1 and 2 (season 8) are currently (Sept. 30) available on Acorn with the following note ...

You might have gotten the email from Acorn that they are having troubles streaming from iOS and Android devices. Not sure why this has become an issue. With most programs, no difficulty. It appears that they are having trouble only with the most recent additions. (Don't know what has changed.)

In any case, Doc Martin and Loch Ness (haven't watched it, but looks interesting) are two that they seem to be having trouble with. So, to watch, you need to bring it up on your Chromecast browser and then cast it from there (as opposed to using their tablet app).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Episodes 1 and 2 (season 8) are currently (Sept. 30) available on Acorn with the following note ...

You might have gotten the email from Acorn that they are having troubles streaming from iOS and Android devices. Not sure why this has become an issue. With most programs, no difficulty. It appears that they are having trouble only with the most recent additions. (Don't know what has changed.)

In any case, Doc Martin and Loch Ness (haven't watched it, but looks interesting) are two that they seem to be having trouble with. So, to watch, you need to bring it up on your Chromecast browser and then cast it from there (as opposed to using their tablet app).

We watch them on our Smart TVs. No problem getting the programs but Acorn's quality is certainly inferior to Netflix in terms of streaming quality and stop/start of the next episode. With Acorn TV, we get fuzziness for a few seconds and then the image sharpens again and it can happen on any part of a show. The other annoying part with Acorn TV, if we don't let the credits at the end of an episode finish showing before stopping it, when we come back to it later, it starts from the beginning of an episode that we had already watched.

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Manhunt on Netflix was an excellent 8 episode series released just recently. I didn't think I would enjoy it because I thought there would be nothing new or interesting. Totally wrong was I. Excellent story and some excellent acting.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Is there that much on Acorn that isn't on Netflix or Amazon Prime? I took the free month's trial of Acorn but only watched the 7th season of Doc Martin. Didn't want the additional charge. Need to know if it is worth it.

So what do others here like best that is available only on Acorn?

remowidget

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar X3
I realy enjoyed Justified and Dexter. I have watched both series twice.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We rarely watch USA made movies and TV series as they typically carry too much swear language, violence, blood and gore. After going through several Australian, Canadian and British TV series, we seemed to have run out of series which we enjoy. We have checked out manyl of the shows mentioned in this thread and finally found an American series that is intriguing - Blacklist. We still turn away from the TV when there is blood and anything revolting but this series is interesting enough to keep our attention. Blacklist reminds us of Dark Angel (Jessica Alba) and Alias (Jennifer Garner), which we had enjoyed.

Update... after one season, we stopped at the start of season 2. Too much blood and body parts. Cannot do it. My main complaint about USA made shows. Back to UK, Aussie and Canadian shows.

Last edited:

Mosca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Binged the first season of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt while convalescing from an incident. It started pretty good, but after a dozen episodes or so it fell into a routine where every plot was pretty much the same, only the wisecracks changed. I stopped watching after Season 2, episode 2. Maybe I'll pick it back up, maybe I won't.

northwoodsgal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad someone mentioned Father Brown! My husband and I, and now our 20's daughters, like to watch it. I would also suggest Sherlock - it's one of the smartest shows I've seen in awhile.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Binged the first season of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt while convalescing from an incident. It started pretty good, but after a dozen episodes or so it fell into a routine where every plot was pretty much the same, only the wisecracks changed. I stopped watching after Season 2, episode 2. Maybe I'll pick it back up, maybe I won't.
That happened to me too. Funny at first and then just seemed like repetitive silliness. I couldn't take any more.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That happened to me too. Funny at first and then just seemed like repetitive silliness. I couldn't take any more.
Reading this reminds me of watching The Minions. Stupid funny for the first 5 minutes and thereafter I got bored.... punched the remote control for next...

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
TURN: Washington's Spies. First three seasons are on Netflix, last one is still not on. Really good show.

Reactions: jme

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad someone mentioned Father Brown! My husband and I, and now our 20's daughters, like to watch it. I would also suggest Sherlock - it's one of the smartest shows I've seen in awhile.
I read father brown books when I was very young, is this series based on those old books?

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The newest season of Bosch is now available on Amazon Prime.

We just finished watching both seasons of Hand of God with Ron Perlman and Dana Delaney. I really loved that show, and I definitely will be watching and hoping for a new season of Sneaky Pete. Hand of God concludes season 2 well, and I couldn't see any plans for a 3rd season. But Sneaky Pete, if they don't do additional seasons, I will be very disappointed. I loved Giovanni in that series. He is so talented. I could read him well.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
The newest season of Bosch is now available on Amazon Prime.

Since S4 is less than one month released, I will not provide any spoilers here but S4 is a departure from S1 - S3 and even though I really enjoyed S1 - S3, S4 sort of left me less than impressed. I have not read the books on which this series was developed but the storyline for S4 does not compare quality-wise with S1 - S3. With S1 - S3, there were so many storylines in play that it seemed the writers felt they had to touch them all in S4 and that may have been one of the most significant weaknesses of S4. I'm also sensing that S4 was an attempt to play the same old TV racial line plots that far too many series seem to be using these days. Perhaps this is another way to say the freshness of approach I found with S1 - S3 of Bosch seems to be wearing off. I hope S5 proves me wrong but now we have to wait until 4/2019 to find out.

Czahara1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a few I don't think I saw mentioned. Search them on Rotten Tomatoes for story line and audience score.

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
Sneaky Pete
Mozart in the Jungle
Goliath
The Last Tycoon
The Last Post
The Wire
Santa Clarita Diet

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Since S4 is less than one month released, I will not provide any spoilers here but S4 is a departure from S1 - S3 and even though I really enjoyed S1 - S3, S4 sort of left me less than impressed. I have not read the books on which this series was developed but the storyline for S4 does not compare quality-wise with S1 - S3. With S1 - S3, there were so many storylines in play that it seemed the writers felt they had to touch them all in S4 and that may have been one of the most significant weaknesses of S4. I'm also sensing that S4 was an attempt to play the same old TV racial line plots that far too many series seem to be using these days. Perhaps this is another way to say the freshness of approach I found with S1 - S3 of Bosch seems to be wearing off. I hope S5 proves me wrong but now we have to wait until 4/2019 to find out.
I generally agree with your critique of Season 4, which was an amalgam of several storylines presented both in the Netflix series as well as a number of the books upon which the series is based. There are now 22 books in Michael Connelly's Bosch series, and I have read them all. The primary storyline of Season 4--dealing with the murder of an attorney who was ready to expose racial profiling and mistreatment of suspects by the LAPD--held quite faithfully to Connelly's Angel's Flight, which was published in 2011. What I wish the producers of the Netflix series had not done (without giving anything away for those who want to watch it) was to squeeze too many plotlines into Season 4. The second plotline dealing with the events surrounding a Chinese Mafia gang were part of a completely different book, which was--IMO--one of the best of the book series. But by shoe-horning it into the TV series they way they did, they really short-changed that particular story.

Nonetheless, it's great to see Bosch so faithfully produced, and Titus Welliver does a great job portraying Heironymus Bosch--the dogged, no-nonsense, meticulous detective whose modus operandi is to go over the evidence again and again and again until he finds the angle no one else has been able to see in order to get himself on the trail of the murderer(s).

By the way, other than reading a large number of Nero Wolfe mysteries when I was younger, I've never read a fictional series with such gusto before--but last year I read all 21 Bosch books (there has been one more added since) between January and April. Obviously, I'm pretty into the Harry Bosch genre!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Bosch is very good on audio tape as well!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Ok, one that I haven't seen recommended here yet is Red Oaks on Amazon Prime. Comedy/drama centered around a NYC-area country club in the mid-80's, featuring some good performances from some well-seasoned actors including Paul Reiser, Jennifer Grey and Richard Kind. At first I thought it was going to be like a Caddyshack knock-off, but it turned out to be very good with some decent plot lines. It ran for three seasons of 1/2 hour episodes, so easy to binge-watch in a short time. Received a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 93%.

Kurt

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you liked Breaking Bad, you will like the prequel:

Better Call Saul

Love the Southwest style and unique camera angles that Vince Gilligan uses to tell the story.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Downton Abbey, Upstairs Downstairs on Amazon Prime

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
Our latest find is on BBC America—Killing Eve. Eve is a British agent on the hunt for a female serial killer who's amazingly scary.