• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

what is included in the $/point breakdown?

Jenie13

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none- newbie
Hi Guys!
I'm debating purchasing a timeshare on ebay for the HGVC. I've been researching this forums for days (great info!!) but can't seem to find the answer to this question. When people state the 7000 point timeshares go for ~$1/point does that mean for everything including the closing costs or just the purchase with an extra $2-4k in closing and current year's maintenance?

Also has anyone experienced ROFR being used lately?
thanks for your insight!
Jen =)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham points
When you look on ebay, it will tell you transfer and closing costs, points, maintenance fees, and club dues. I copied and pasted an example. The winning bid and the additional fees are for these.
upload_2017-1-26_16-33-3.png

Jenie13

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none- newbie
Thank you! That is actually one of the ones I was looking at. So for a timeshare like that would it go for somewhere close to $5000 purchase price (with a total amount closer to $8000 with all the fees and due maintenance) equaling the $1/point average or $8000 (totally closer to $11,000 with the fees + maintenance) to equal the $1/point average? I'm trying to gauge what a 'fair' market value is these days for the 7000-9600 point value excluding fees. thanks! =)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham points
Those maintenance fees are yearly. what we did was set the price we were willing to pay ( we went over it by 65 bucks opps), then looked at all that was available, some pay the transfer fees, some don't. Watch a few, and wait until near the end to place your bid. I personally noticed, it would go for lots more if I bid early. And sometimes, I thought they had people in there upping the bid, so I would quit and watch. Some asked me if i was still interested after it closed, for my top bid. If you so end up buy more than 1, try and use the same seller, in hopes to get a deal on the closing fees. (you'll have contact the seller to) One last piece of advise. As for an estoppel letter to make sure everything is current and there are no liens or mortgage still owed.

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
When people say $1/point for a platinum week, they are not including the closing costs. So, a 7,000 point platinum week could sell for $7,000 and have all the closing costs on top of that.

ROFR does get exercised. You can actually get specifics from a broker if you go through one of them. Ebay sellers probably won't be able to help you with that info. It ultimately won't matter, though. If the auction closes at $5,000 for 7,000 points and HGVC decides to take it back via ROFR, you get all of your money back. There's always the chance that they won't take it back, too. It's a gamble.

EDIT TO ADD: People have different strategies for bidding on Ebay. I set it and forget it. I'll bid the maximum I am willing to pay and wait it out to see if I got it or not. Often, I will be outbid by a small amount, but since it was more than the maximum I was willing to pay, I just move on to the next listing.

JDHPE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Waikoloa: Ocean Tower,
Kohala Suites + Kings' Land;
Wyndham
Regarding the HGVC Estoppel letter, is there a concensus if it negates the need for Title Insurance?
Thank you