• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What happens when your resort files for bankruptcy?

chazpbg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own at Rayburn Country Club in Texas. They let us know this week that they're beginning the bankruptcy process (RCI also let us know that they were "suspended" from the system -- at least for now.) Resort said they hope to reorganize as a smaller resort and come back to life, but it will be up to the courts to work this out.

Any idea what this means? I gather resort is not planning on sending bills for 2020 maintenance fees -- at least for now. I'm kinda hoping I'm done with this resort even if they can come back to life, but could they come back and make us pay more and/or recover the 2020 maintenance fees? How long does the process typically take to sort this out?

Or is it possible they could come back with a new owner and things might be better -- meaning our fees would be lower and/or we might get more points? I kinda doubt that, but curious what others might have to say in terms of how this could play out...

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
It's hard to say. We went through that with Ramada Vacation Suites with was sold a couple of times and then to a group that wanted to start an independent timeshare company -- fail. Our resort was purchased by Westgate (We are the Borg ... resistance is useless ...) and we have a new master. It was an improvement.

For Rayburn, my money would be on liquidation. They will still probably hit you up for MF, but might offer you a Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure to clear the property in hope of a sale to an outside investor.

That is what happened to us with Inverness by the Sea in Galveston. They implemented a special assessment of $4K or an option of the Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure.

chazpbg

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you say deed in lieu of foreclosure, do you mean they'll take back the property from you (at no charge) versus foreclosing on you? That's what I'm hoping for... (I'm not expecting to get any money out of my unit -- I just want it to be gone at no additional expense to me, unless there was some great value in keeping it.)

And would we still be expected to pay MFs while this deed or lieu of deal is going on...?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
When you say deed in lieu of foreclosure, do you mean they'll take back the property from you (at no charge) versus foreclosing on you? That's what I'm hoping for... (I'm not expecting to get any money out of my unit -- I just want it to be gone at no additional expense to me, unless there was some great value in keeping it.)

And would we still be expected to pay MFs while this deed or lieu of deal is going on...?
Bottom line: All bankruptcies are different. The settlement is decided in a Federal court between the owners and a BK trustee. They decide who gets what when the assets (including receivables like your MF) are divided by the liabilities. So, just a guess here, your MF would continue as long as the property is still in the hands of the current owners (which is you) or the HOA.

Jim

chazpbg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Indeed. I'm sorta getting that sense that no two timeshare bankruptcies are the same. But question: What would propel me to pay the MFs if a timeshare is in bankruptcy? What's the worst case scenario -- that they would foreclose on me on a property that is already essentially defunct?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
What would propel me to pay the MFs if a timeshare is in bankruptcy?

Nothing. In most cases it will be throwing money away. There may be a rare case where you think there will be value in the reorganized entity. This is probably not one of those cases...

George

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Someone shared the letter they sent out.
Hundreds have walked away and rci sends people to stay there but they don’t have the funds to keep up all the units, less than half are paying maintenance,

castleo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tahoe Beach & Ski, Polo Towers, Palm Canyon, 200,000 RCI points, other deposit
Does anyone know what Bankruptcy court it is in and if there is any new info. I have 3 weeks there--one in the golf course unit and 2 in the other.

Rich Castello castleo@aol.com

Reaction score
Does anyone have any update as to the status of the Rayburn Country Timeshare property? I have not heard anything further and based upon the silence I would assume it will not be resurrected. I recently retired and this is the time that I could actually use the points but obviously I have no control over this situation.

themvpservice

Reaction score
I would like to jump in now, albeit VERY late to this. But only now can I shed some light. Our company has been hired to do the wrap up and termination at Rayburn. There will be NO invoices or costs to owners, just the deeding back. All owners have a package coming in the mail. There are webinars next week and an annual meeting in June, June 26. Email me and I can get you information in detail. joe@themvpservice.com