• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you lose not buying directly from HGVC?

ProdedgySon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So my friend just purchased a 3400 point unit for 14k. He was told you can resell the deed back to Hilton for 14k. It appears you can buy used deeds here for much cheaper, is this true? If so, why wouldn't the owners just sell back to Hilton? I'm personally interested in this program as well, are there any downsides to the membership and what price could I expect for a week-two week unit?

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
So my friend just purchased a 3400 point unit for 14k. He was told you can resell the deed back to Hilton for 14k. It appears you can buy used deeds here for much cheaper, is this true? If so, why wouldn't the owners just sell back to Hilton? I'm personally interested in this program as well, are there any downsides to the membership and what price could I expect for a week-two week unit?
First off, remember the golden rule here: If a salesman's lips are moving, he's most likely lying!

When they tell you that they will purchase a deed back, what they really mean is that they will use the original purchase price (only if you purchase directly from them) as "equity" toward a larger purchase in the future (again, directly from them). So for example, if you bought a 2200 point starter week from them for $15,000, and at a later time wanted to upgrade to a 7000 point week which they sell for $40,000, you would pay $25,000 for the upgrade ($40K - $15K "equity").

Under no circumstances will they ever buy back a week for the full retail purchase price that you paid.

Kurt

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Hi, welcome to tug.

If your friend is in the legal rescission timeline he can cancel the deal and he should. You should let him know you found tug and he can get a 3400 point week for almost free and save 14k.

Hilton will never buy back a week for what you spent. They only will give you credit towards a larger purchase which costs you lots more money.

Resale is the way to go. Stick around and learn and you will figure out what is best for you and get it for thousands less, maybe even free, then if you purchased retail.

ProdedgySon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks so much for the fast replies everyone, and thabks for the welcome and greetings back. Last question, for me, is, can one get stuck with a program, unwilling to get rid of it and having to pay maintanence fees? It seems unlikely you couldn't find a buyer, just asking. The other question would be, if one was to upgrade, would you simply sell your old program here and buy a new one? I do like the idea of this program, especially RCI here and there as a bonus.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Thanks so much for the fast replies everyone, and thabks for the welcome and greetings back. Last question, for me, is, can one get stuck with a program, unwilling to get rid of it and having to pay maintanence fees? It seems unlikely you couldn't find a buyer, just asking. The other question would be, if one was to upgrade, would you simply sell your old program here and buy a new one? I do like the idea of this program, especially RCI here and there as a bonus.
The best advise I would give (if you decide HGVC will work for you) is to buy a Platinum week with a low maintenance fee to point ratio. Most Las Vegas location Platinum weeks are pretty good, but there are other options as well. When you own a week with a low MF/point ratio, 1) it makes your vacations less costly in the years that you use it, and 2) when you are ready to sell, it has a much higher chance of being worth more and will sell easily. If you have a Gold or (worse) as Silver week, when selling you won't get much if anything for it and it might even be hard to give away.

The downside is that you will pay more for a Platinum week, but in the long run it will save you money.

Kurt

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

I think I’m reading your question correctly here. You are asking if someone can get stuck with an HGVC timeshare and can’t get rid of it? If this is your question, the the answer is depends on what you buy and how badly you want to get rid of it. If you purchase a platinum unit, then you will probably be able to sell it. Maybe not for what you paid for it, but you should be able to sell it. If you bought a lower season like gold, silver or bronze, you may have to give it away. That being said, there are some timeshares that people can’t even give away. Platinum is always your best bet.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The other question would be, if one was to upgrade, would you simply sell your old program here and buy a new one?

If you want to upgrade, which to me means that you want more points, then that depends on what you currently own. If you purchased your first unit (for example, 7000 points) wisely, (a platinum with low MFs). Then, I don't think that you would probably sell that unit, you would just purchase another unit with whatever points that you need. That is what I have done anyway.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you have a dog of a unit with few points, you may have to give it away.
HGVC will offer to credit their original price against an upgrade from them.
But that would cost you a lot more than giving it away and buying resale.

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
Hello All,

We are new to both Tug and Timeshares and found this site through hours of research. Thanks to the many people who have posted VALUABLE information so newbies like ourselves can benefit from it!

A few quick questions that we have yet to feel like we have a clear answer to.....

Do Marbrisa resales qualify for the Elite status or same as all others? We know it seems like just a bunch of fluff that really isn’t worth it, but since we are new- everything is interesting!

Do Marbrisa resales qualify for the “trade up” program?

And FINALLY, would all other owner perks like “open season”, etc. be available to a Marbrisa resale?

A quick note we have a recently purchased- 5,000 point gold season 2 bedroom at the Marbrisa.

Thanks for all the help! It’s been great reading all the conversations so far!!!

JB

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hello All,

We are new to both Tug and Timeshares and found this site through hours of research. Thanks to the many people who have posted VALUABLE information so newbies like ourselves can benefit from it!

A few quick questions that we have yet to feel like we have a clear answer to.....

Do Marbrisa resales qualify for the Elite status or same as all others? We know it seems like just a bunch of fluff that really isn’t worth it, but since we are new- everything is interesting!

Do Marbrisa resales qualify for the “trade up” program?

And FINALLY, would all other owner perks like “open season”, etc. be available to a Marbrisa resale?

A quick note we have a recently purchased- 5,000 point gold season 2 bedroom at the Marbrisa.

Thanks for all the help! It’s been great reading all the conversations so far!!!

JB

Do MarBrisa resale’s count toward elite? Pretty sure that answer is no. The only resale’s I know of that count are The Scotland properties and a couple of the SW Florida affiliates.

Do MarBrisa count toward trade up’s? Not sure, but why would you? You would be paying developer prices and not getting your monies worth.

Owner perks? Yes, MarBrisa owners have the same perks as any other non elite owner. Open season, RCI portal and such.

Hope that helps!

Finsadbel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA, Las Vegas
Thanks for the reply!

You’re right! We wouldn’t....... just super new to us and excited to know all there is to know. Thanks for the super fast reply!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
One clarification on gaining elite status via affiliate resale. You have to make the resale purchase from the resort or their agent. They may or may not be the lowest option. Just depends on much value you place the perks offered.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
I don't own Hilton, but thank you for all of the information because I have considered it. I need to get rid of my Shell.

I talked to Seth Nock a bit about it years ago. I think it's a no-brainer to buy resale in almost all cases, but with Hilton, it seems to make so little difference, you should never, ever buy directly from Hilton.

To this point someone recently paid probably %15 of the developers price (Hilton) in NYC and it cleared ROFR! To me this is kind of a good news bad news situation. The good news is you can buy resale cheap. The bad news is if you are already an owner it shows you what Hilton thinks of the value of its properties.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
To this point someone recently paid probably %15 of the developers price (Hilton) in NYC and it cleared ROFR! To me this is kind of a good news bad news situation. The good news is you can buy resale cheap. The bad news is if you are already an owner it shows you what Hilton thinks of the value of its properties.

I'm sure that this 15% purchase has happened, but it's certainly not the norm for NYC properties. It is certainly less than developer price, but rarely 15% from what I've seen.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

Which NYC sale are you referring to?

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
I thought you were even involved in that string of posts. Let me look it was just a couple of weeks ago. Some guy I thought bought at a crazy low price at one of the NYC properties. As I recall many people were surprised he would clear ROFR and he did. Do I have the city wrong?

sarakimou

Reaction score
Glad I found this thread! I’m still in my recission period. I actually discussed resale with my sales guy, and he said that all you get when you buy resale is the deeded week at the home resort — so if you buy Flamingo week 32, that’s all you’re entitled to with a resale deed.

I signed on because I’m an avid (and flexible) traveler and I wanted to be able to add bigger family trips to the agenda, so the RCI point exchange was a huge draw. I got 7,000 odd year points, with 17,000 signup bonus points, for $25k.

Obviously I can get comparable points for cheaper, but I just want to verify before I rescind that you resale owners have successfully traded into RCI, rolled over points, banked them into HHonors, etc. — literally everything I was sold, except for the Elite Status thing?

I know I know, the salesman’s lips were moving, but I also verified those limitations with the very knowledgeable-seeming supervisor of customer service who I chatted with at contract time, and he said that yes all you get with a resale deed is what’s on the deed, the rest of the system is cut off to you. So I want to make reeeeally sure he’s wrong before I rescind.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Glad I found this thread! I’m still in my recission period. I actually discussed resale with my sales guy, and he said that all you get when you buy resale is the deeded week at the home resort — so if you buy Flamingo week 32, that’s all you’re entitled to with a resale deed.

I signed on because I’m an avid (and flexible) traveler and I wanted to be able to add bigger family trips to the agenda, so the RCI point exchange was a huge draw. I got 7,000 odd year points, with 17,000 signup bonus points, for $25k.

Obviously I can get comparable points for cheaper, but I just want to verify before I rescind that you resale owners have successfully traded into RCI, rolled over points, banked them into HHonors, etc. — literally everything I was sold, except for the Elite Status thing?

I know I know, the salesman’s lips were moving, but I also verified those limitations with the very knowledgeable-seeming supervisor of customer service who I chatted with at contract time, and he said that yes all you get with a resale deed is what’s on the deed, the rest of the system is cut off to you. So I want to make reeeeally sure he’s wrong before I rescind.

Rescind, you were lied to.

Resale has all the same perks except points counting toward Elite status.

I purchased twice as many points every year for half what you paid retail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Recind....Welcome to tug. Congratulations you found us in fine to save at least over $20,000.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Y’all are priceless. Fedexing my recission tomorrow.

Not priceless at all. Once you buy resale, you'll be able to figure out exactly how much we saved you :)

Welcome to the enlightened!

Cheers.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I think @Nomad420 referring to The Residences rofr.net entry of $10,001. I think @JohnPaul is mostly right in that the ROFR setup wasn't in place yet. You can't purchase back a unit when the process isn't in place yet. I also think many of the low priced units are also going through because the postcard companies and eBay sellers are using the upfront fees in the final purchase price. Maybe not with this particular purchase though.

Here's the link to the post: My Sales Presentation (aka Owner Update)

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Just as an FYI, my Flamingo deed has no week listed on it. It was bought resale and HGVC accepted it.

Nomad420

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC New York Mid Town
I think @Nomad420 referring to The Residences rofr.net entry of $10,001. I think @JohnPaul is mostly right in that the ROFR setup wasn't in place yet. You can't purchase back a unit when the process isn't in place yet. I also think many of the low priced units are also going through because the postcard companies and eBay sellers are using the upfront fees in the final purchase price. Maybe not with this particular purchase though.

Here's the link to the post: My Sales Presentation (aka Owner Update)
Yes that was the unit I was referring to in the The Residences thank you. So the ROFR process was not / has not been set up yet for The Residences? Either way if I see the same deal for $10K I'll take a run at it for sure.