• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do you do with your parents' things?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I kept 1 or 2 very small momentos and some practical items like some mixing bowls and glasses I could use and had a liquidator come and empty my parents' entire house. Tried selling a few things-estate sale, ebay, facebook, etc.-but wasn't worth it- got nothing.

As it is we have thrown out plenty of stuff from our own house in anticipation of moving someday and also because most of it is unnecessary crap that I don't want our son to deal with when we pass. Just need to get hubby on board with his stuff in the garage, but he has made some progress.

I am into a simple lifestyle and almost a shaker like home. Easier to keep clean. Less tiring to look at.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In our neighborhood, peep put stuff on the street with a sign that says, "Free."
It usually stays there until the next garbage-pickup day. Then it disappears.
-----------------------
I'm quietly disposing of stuff in our garage. I can't have another garage sale.
Ever since I sold my DW's ancient waffle iron for $1, I'm forbidden.
Even though I replaced it with a new one.

When we put stuff out it disappears within an hour where we live!

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I live in the area where they film Storage Wars, I see Dave Hesters Yuuuuuuup truck in the neighborhood all the time, never been in his store.

You could put it all in storage then stop paying, like a timeshare viking ship...:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I live in the area where they film Storage Wars, I see Dave Hesters Yuuuuuuup truck in the neighborhood all the time, never been in his store.

You could put it all in storage then stop paying, like a timeshare viking ship...:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

HAHAHAHA! I like that idea!! :)

Dave

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year hubby's mom passed (dad passed 7 years prior). We had a ton of things to go through. We saved most of the pictures. Any pictures of the kids, grandkids - we toss them out. We have our own/same pictures given to them. She had a ton of religious items/pictures, etc. I kissed them all and tossed them. There was no way I could keep all she had. I did keep one or two statues/in my garden. Some furniture stayed with the new owners. Donated some and tossed out the rest. Clothing donated. knick knacks, dishes, etc. Some donated, some tossed and some in boxes for a possible future yard sale. We did keep an item here and there but we really have no room/space in our own home. We also kept some papers - birth certificate/army papers, etc.

My mom passed three years ago (dad passed 7 years ago too). We are now selling the house - we had a tenant in for the last three years but the basement is full of her things. We are doing the same thing. Saving all pictures from many years ago. All of us siblings want to share/divide some old pictures of them and my sister (also passed). Saving significant papers again. Donated, tossed and kept some things. Just way, way too much to keep. Siblings made one trip after she passed to see if they wanted anything. So much new/good stuff. We are hoping to split some either to keep or also future yard sale........just no room to put it all...........it's so sad

I told hubby one day our kids will do the same and toss it all out. We buy, save, don't use, buy and it all adds up.........

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We buy, save, don't use, buy and it all adds up.........

That's the story at my house. Problem is, since I don't buy used things, I have a house full of things I bought new, much of which has been replaced by other new stuff. But I still have the old stuff. I'm not sure what to do with it all. For example, I have a stack of probably six laptops sitting here, that have each been replaced over the years. All of them work, although none of them are current operating systems. I was planning to wipe or remove the hard drives, then donate them, but nobody wants them. I hate to send them to the landfill, but I don't see a lot of other choices. First world problem, most certainly.

Dave

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
That's the story at my house. Problem is, since I don't buy used things, I have a house full of things I bought new, much of which has been replaced by other new stuff. But I still have the old stuff. I'm not sure what to do with it all. For example, I have a stack of probably six laptops sitting here, that have each been replaced over the years. All of them work, although none of them are current operating systems. I was planning to wipe or remove the hard drives, then donate them, but nobody wants them. I hate to send them to the landfill, but I don't see a lot of other choices. First world problem, most certainly.

Dave
Laptop, try Goodwill, we have donated our old computer stuff to them.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
In our neighborhood, peep put stuff on the street with a sign that says, "Free."
It usually stays there until the next garbage-pickup day. Then it disappears.
-----------------------
I'm quietly disposing of stuff in our garage. I can't have another garage sale.
Ever since I sold my DW's ancient waffle iron for $1, I'm forbidden.
Even though I replaced it with a new one.

That's what I would have expected but I've had great luck getting rid of odds and ends this way. I recently put some leftover ceramic tile on the curb for free. It had been in our garage for over 20 years. We were on the way to take friends on a brewery tour and everyone laughed about my optimism in getting rid of it but it was gone when we returned. It was probably 6 tiles - can't believe anyone wanted it but I'm happy that it's in their garage, not mine.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
When we put stuff out it disappears within an hour where we live!

Here too. It's a tradition for some to ride around checking out the streets the late afternoon/evening before trash pick-up day.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
Here we do have electronics recycling. We take it to our local landfill where is it located.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Laptop, try Goodwill, we have donated our old computer stuff to them.

Be very careful to erase, reformat and thoroughly wipe the hard drive before doing this!

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Be very careful to erase, reformat and thoroughly wipe the hard drive before doing this!
Yes, always have, a must

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to bet what is in the family house bult in 1702 ... one room on the 3rd floor is call "The Chair Room". It has always been the room where any broken wood chair was taken to await repair. Even my 93yo aunt has no name atteched to WHOEVER had slept there. Even she .. born in the house, knew of NO ONE who slept in that room (with 10' ceilings and at least 16x16 room size). And then there is all the relatives who slept in which room and who passed in which room.

But then there are the funerals held at the house. The living room where the deceased would be laid out for the both the evening viewing and the service the next day. I was in 3rd grade for my first at-home funeral (great-grandmother) and a college freshman, when my grandmother passed, etc.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I think there is an organizing guru who advises asking a couple of basic questions about your “stuff” when cleaning...something like..Is it used? And Does it bring you joy? She then advises expressing your thanks to the items that get a no and ridding yourself of them.

It sounded odd to me when I first read a summary of it, but I think it's useful in dealing with items like your mother's. You've already discovered what brings you joy...like her old cutting board...and the rest of the stuff doesn't rate a yes to the questions. So you should have no guilt it letting it go.

I'm getting to that point with many items I brought from my mother's home. A few bring me joy in my memories of her using them, but for many, time has dimmed the memories and they are just things that I have no use for or any remaining sentimental attachment. I do think allowing yourself time to discover what will be meaningful long term is helpful and you appear to have already done that.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Jumanji?

Seriously though, if those walls could talk imagine the stories they could tell. It's in situations like this where some written history of a house would be a worthwhile treasure.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Anyone want to bet what is in the family house bult in 1702 ... one room on the 3rd floor is call "The Chair Room". It has always been the room where any broken wood chair was taken to await repair. Even my 93yo aunt has no name atteched to WHOEVER had slept there. Even she .. born in the house, knew of NO ONE who slept in that room (with 10' ceilings and at least 16x16 room size). And then there is all the relatives who slept in which room and who passed in which room.

But then there are the funerals held at the house. The living room where the deceased would be laid out for the both the evening viewing and the service the next day. I was in 3rd grade for my first at-home funeral (great-grandmother) and a college freshman, when my grandmother passed, etc.

I can't imagine having that sort of family history in one place. Would be amazing to try and figure out all the relatives who had come and gone there.

Dave

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I think there is an organizing guru who advises asking a couple of basic questions about your “stuff” when cleaning...something like..Is it used? And Does it bring you joy? She then advises expressing your thanks to the items that get a no and ridding yourself of them.
This could be the one: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Changin...ks-20&linkId=61fece5e576b9c78a66941e903eeea81
I have a friend who swears by this method (The KonMari method). I don't have the patience to read the book first so I haven't tried it. :D Maybe I will try. It would probably be inspirational!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
This could be the one: https://www.amazon.com/Life-Changin...ks-20&linkId=61fece5e576b9c78a66941e903eeea81
I have a friend who swears by this method (The KonMari method). I don't have the patience to read the book first so I haven't tried it. :D Maybe I will try. It would probably be inspirational!

I've heard of the technique, and I may have to try it. In the case of my Mom's things, I think my hesitation is coming from a place of "what if?" it has significant meaning to someone else. But as I say, it's been 22 years since Mom passed, I'd expect if there was anything in great demand from others, they'd have said something by now.

We'll see how it goes. My sister came yesterday and brought a dozen boxes of Mom's things I didn't know were even still around. I thought these things were long gone. Collectibles and family heirloom things and such. Turns out Sis has been hanging on to them, so we siblings could go through them later on. Yikes! It's all sorts of things. And she didn't bring the trunk with her, which is too full to move by herself. Makes me wonder what has been put back into the trunk I don't know about. This is turning into something much bigger than I'd expected.

Dave

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
I've heard of the technique, and I may have to try it. In the case of my Mom's things, I think my hesitation is coming from a place of "what if?" it has significant meaning to someone else. But as I say, it's been 22 years since Mom passed, I'd expect if there was anything in great demand from others, they'd have said something by now.

We'll see how it goes. My sister came yesterday and brought a dozen boxes of Mom's things I didn't know were even still around. I thought these things were long gone. Collectibles and family heirloom things and such. Turns out Sis has been hanging on to them, so we siblings could go through them later on. Yikes! It's all sorts of things. And she didn't bring the trunk with her, which is too full to move by herself. Makes me wonder what has been put back into the trunk I don't know about. This is turning into something much bigger than I'd expected.

Dave

Whoa, didn't see that coming! Sneak drop off. And the pink trunk is still to come. Time to take those pictures and email them to anyone even remotely related to you even if it isn't their parent. At this point I would only give them 6 months. You don't need the clutter in your life or the stress it brings from having to look at it. You might not identify what you feel regarding all this stuff as stress but on some level it is.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Whoa, didn't see that coming! Sneak drop off. And the pink trunk is still to come. Time to take those pictures and email them to anyone even remotely related to you even if it isn't their parent. At this point I would only give them 6 months. You don't need the clutter in your life or the stress it brings from having to look at it. You might not identify what you feel regarding all this stuff as stress but on some level it is.

I know, right? All these years I thought I had it figured out. Turns out I was very wrong. I think stuff that was pulled out to send to other relatives never quite made it out the door, and as my Sis moved, she repacked stuff. No wonder she wants it out of her house now.

I've taken everyone's advice, and already scheduled a weekend next month for my Sister and my daughter to come help me sort through this stuff. I told my daughter whatever doesn't go that weekend will be donated, one way or the other. My daughter's response was, "We don't have a big house, but we'll do what we can." She's a good daughter, who loved her grandmother a lot. I think this may work out okay. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The county historical society printed a book on the family linage. I am listed as 10th generation New Jersey-ite.

I think that's great! I have a book my great-something-or-other uncle put together back in the 1920s, tracing my paternal grandfather's lines back a long ways. Through his mother's line, I think it stops in the 1500's in London. There are lots of anecdotal stories along the way, containing snippets of folklore about the family. (e.g. Fairmount Park in Philadelphia is supposedly on land an ancestor leased to the City, but the lease was never recorded, [conveniently], so when the lease expired, the City kept the land.) My daughter has been doing a lot of genealogy research on Ancestry, and has taken those lines even further back. It's crazy to think of that amount of continued lineage. Pretty interesting, actually.

Dave

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
My daughter has been doing a lot of genealogy research on Ancestry, and has taken those lines even further back. It's crazy to think of that amount of continued lineage. Pretty interesting, actually.

Dave
It is amazing to think of all the ancestors each of us had. Consider the following, and I'm talking just about biological ancestors:
Each of us has two biological parents. Each of them had two parents so we have four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, 16 great-great grandparents, 32 great-great-great grandparents etc. If you keep multiplying the number by two and you figure an average of about 25 years between each generation, then in just 500 years there would have been 1,048,576 people beginning the production of YOU!

sun starved Gayle

TUG Member
Reaction score

I read the Japanese book. She says you should throw out everything that does not "bring you joy". My toilet plunger does not "bring me joy", but when you need it, you need it ! I liked "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning" better. She makes a lot more sense to me. She refers to herself as "somewhere between 80 (I think) and 100". She was both sensible and amusing.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It is amazing to think of all the ancestors each of us had. Consider the following, and I'm talking just about biological ancestors:
Each of us has two biological parents. Each of them had two parents so we have four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, 16 great-great grandparents, 32 great-great-great grandparents etc. If you keep multiplying the number by two and you figure an average of about 25 years between each generation, then in just 500 years there would have been 1,048,576 people beginning the production of YOU!

Whoa! I had never thought of it that way. That's one big family reunion! :)

And that's just biologics. Factor in adoptees, remarriages, "raised by" and whatever else, and the numbers are off the charts.

Dave