• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What do I do with extra Wyndham points?

LoveBeingRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am new to the timeshare game and I have spent the past 9 months acquiring Wyndham points contracts through the TUG Marketplace and eBay. As a result I now have 262000 points for 2018 that I will not be able to use before the end of the year. Are there better options than just depositing the points in RCI to get some value out of them? Thanks!!

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
If you don’t like RCI, Make a reservation and rent it out on tug, eBay, redweek, myresortnetwork or another site.

Points you let expire are worthless, points you move to RCI will at least extend them 2 years, however, you will need to pay exchange fee(s) to finally use them.

If you make a reservation and rent it you may get all or some of MFs back, If you do well may even turn a profit.

But if you let 262K points expire your are just throwing money away.

Example: If average MF is $6/1000 points then 262x$6 = $1572 bucks down the drain.

LoveBeingRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. As I mentioned, I’m new to all of this. How do I go about renting a reservation? There must be certain prime places and times that I should reserve to get a renter, so can you suggest where and when those are? How do I decide on a rental price? And what happens if I don’t get a renter, since we are close to the end of the year? Sorry for all the questions but thanks for the help!

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
If it were me, I would deposit to RCI. In the next 2 years you may desire to go somewhere you can't get thru Wyndham. And you may even find that it's worth the RCI exchange fee. I started TS'ing with Wyndham... years later I came to appreciate the options available thru RCI.

Also keep in mind that unless you get lucky or you are able to check Wyndham daily (or a few times daily), finding and renting a reservation this late in the year may be tough.

Best of both worlds... since you have until the end of the year to deposit, check Wyndham often for a desirable reservation, book if you find something... if it doesn't rent, cancel within 15 days of checkin and deposit the points to RCI. This would cost you two reservation transactions.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Thanks for the suggestion. As I mentioned, I’m new to all of this. How do I go about renting a reservation? There must be certain prime places and times that I should reserve to get a renter, so can you suggest where and when those are? How do I decide on a rental price? And what happens if I don’t get a renter, since we are close to the end of the year? Sorry for all the questions but thanks for the help!

First, reserving something. Not so hard in theory but it can be time-consuming. It will probably be in November or December. Where would you like to go in November or December? Forget "prime." Forget Thanksgiving Week in Florida -- it's booked. But, there are units available in Pompano Beach through most of December. The likely place would be Palm-Aire, mostly a golf resort but it's only fifteen minutes or so to Wyndham Royal Vista, which is on the beach. Sea Gardens is across the street from the beach and has units available. Panama City Beach and Destin have units available the first three weeks in December. Going the other way, there are units in December at Smugglers' Notch in Vermont, two or three places in Newport, RI, and at Skyline Tower in Atlantic City. You'll have to do some clicking.

Do comparative analysis for pricing. Check Craig's List, RedWeek.com, and Ebay. Again, a lot of clicking is necessary. If you don't get a renter, then the RCI deposit is probably in order.

You should be able to get something pretty good for 262K.

LoveBeingRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great info!! Thanks so much! Looks like I’ll be spending some time searching but that’s fine. Appreciate the help!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Look at the point cost for the Hilton/Holiday Inn/Vacation Village properties near where you vacation and deposit exactly that amount into RCI. Hiltons are nicer than Wyndhams, they just don't have as many properties. Ocean Walk was still open for Thanksgiving last I checked. If you trade into a week in a Hilton though, the maintenance fee + exchange fee cost is still a bit lower than the cost of actually owning at Hilton.

GT1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I's like to piggy back off of this discussion, since I'm sort of in the same boat due to a recent purchase. Where wuld I find a good primer on using RCI with my Wyndham points. There's info on the Wyndham website but I'd like to know the ins and outs, more insider tips. Even a particular thread here on the forums that you could point me to that you think has some good info. TIA!

ausman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if anyone actually wanted to sit down to write out a primer of how to use Wyndham in RCI points for all possible eventualities that they could think of, I certainly don't. Your best bet is to ask targeted questions and let people know of how many points you are going to deposit and what you hope to accomplish with those points.

I'll start with the generalities: Usually, if not known what you want to accomplish, it is better to wait until the beginning of the month the Wyndham points expire before depositing them into RCI, as that gives the greatest time period to use them in RCI.

Reactions: GT1

schoolmarm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham CWA, Bali Hai, and National Harbor; Summit at Massanutten
About renting out points...besides getting a reservation and trying to rent it out, you could also post that you have your points available to rent and ask people where they want to go...You are in the express reservation period and can borrow from your next use year to complete a reservation if it is more points than you have left for this use year.