• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What can you tell me about this AD- Newbe

EverLearn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Need help deciphering the good and bad of this:

Wyndham Fairfield Bay
Annual usage
Deeded as: Bldg. 00XX, Unit RXXX, Week 25
Converted to points

Would this be a ok purchase for the right price and MFs vs points ratio?
What are the usage limits if any on the points ect? Use at any resort?
Would this be treated like any other Wyndham points purchase?
Any info about this would be helpful. Just trying to learn what to look for when reading Ads.

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
I can only offer a little help here. I bought a converted fixed week at this resort. Yes, the points can be used at any other Wyndham resort at 10 months before the booking begins. They would be treated the same as any other Wyndham points purchase. Obviously it would have no additional Wyndham privileges, meaning VIP perks. MF ratios were fixed when the conversion process was begun. I just learned this recently. For your decision, what matters is if the annual MF's on this contract are affordable and acceptable to you, and if you believe they are on the lower side. I think the average MF has been going up these past few years, so with only a few exceptions, they seem to be in the $5.50 to $6.50 per thousand point range.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Because it's a converted fixed week, your only ARP would be that week at that resort. At 10 months, your points can be used anywhere. I don't know the specific MFs, but the good news is that week 25 is prime at that resort which means it's probably a decent ratio.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Need help deciphering the good and bad of this:

Wyndham Fairfield Bay
Annual usage
Deeded as: Bldg. 00XX, Unit RXXX, Week 25
Converted to points

Would this be a ok purchase for the right price and MFs vs points ratio?
What are the usage limits if any on the points ect? Use at any resort?
Would this be treated like any other Wyndham points purchase?
Any info about this would be helpful. Just trying to learn what to look for when reading Ads.
It’s hard to tell you anything about this without the detail, I’m not sure whether you edited out the details when you posted this or whether the advertiser didn’t include them

So what is the week and unit number and how many points and what is the mf

I have always said that before you buy a timeshare you need to know the product and you need to know your seller, at least by reputation.

So a little history lesson. Fairfield Bay was the original Fairfield Resort And was organized and sold as a fixed week timeshare resort. Generally speaking, with most of the “weeks” timeshare resorts there are different “seasons” (high season, low season and an in between season.) and there are different sized units (1 bed, and 2 bed, 3 bedroom etc)

When originally sold the larger units in the high season sold for more than the low season weeks. But here’s the thing; maintenance fees for all units of the same size were the same. Basically they took the annual condo fee for a condo and divided by 52

All this seems perfectly logical but there is an issue and that is, the owner of an off season week is paying the same mf as the guy that owns a high season week. An example of just how unfair this can be is at my favorite resort, Avenue Plaza in New Orleans. I paid $550 annual mf for my week that was guaranteed for Mardi Gras and the guy that owned a week in August (nobody wants to go to New Orleans in August) also paid the same $550. That just dosent seem fair. And it’s not fair at a resort like Fairfield bay either

So there came a time when Wyndham moved to a points based system and needed to figure out a way to value these weeks in terms of points. As you know from a look at the points chart for any of the resorts, it costs more points to stay in a unit in high season than the same unit in value season

So what’s that mean for us? Here’s another example. I’m going to get the numbers wrong because I bought this package of converted weeks in 2010. And I don’t remember what I had for dinner last night, much less what my maintenance fees were for this ownership 8 years ago

I bought 385000 points in 3 converted weeks. At the same resort. 154000, 126000, and 105000. All weee 2 bedroom units and the annual maintenance fees for each week were the same at about $700. No the math and you see that one week had mf of $4.50/1000, the second week was $5.50/1000 and the third was at $6.60/1000.

So I tell this story so you can see the importance of all the info.(Unit size. MF and week being purchased) To make an informed decision

The info you provided is not sufficient

Generally speaking a larger unit in high season will result in the best maintenance fee ratio. And unless you want that particular week for your annual golf trip. The maintenance fee ratio is the most important piece of information you need

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'll add this point - have you ever been to Fairfield Bay?
It is NOT exactly in the middle of anyplace desirable - especially in the summer given the heat and humidity of Arkansas.
Many people will say don't own someplace you would not want to go - just be sure you'd be okay vacationing here....

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is NOT exactly in the middle of anyplace desirable - especially in the summer given the heat and humidity of Arkansas.
Many people will say don't own someplace you would not want to go - just be sure you'd be okay vacationing here....

thats the thing with wyndham points.. you can use your points anywhere in the system You are not limited to your home sesort

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

I’ve never stayed at any resort that I own in Club Wyndham! LOL

I wouldn’t buy Fairfield Bay, but that is for other reasons than location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EverLearn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can only offer a little help here. I bought a converted fixed week at this resort. Yes, the points can be used at any other Wyndham resort at 10 months before the booking begins. They would be treated the same as any other Wyndham points purchase. Obviously it would have no additional Wyndham privileges, meaning VIP perks. MF ratios were fixed when the conversion process was begun. I just learned this recently. For your decision, what matters is if the annual MF's on this contract are affordable and acceptable to you, and if you believe they are on the lower side. I think the average MF has been going up these past few years, so with only a few exceptions, they seem to be in the $5.50 to $6.50 per thousand point range.

-Thank you for the insight of someone who owns there. Any regrets owning at this location?

Because it's a converted fixed week, your only ARP would be that week at that resort. At 10 months, your points can be used anywhere. I don't know the specific MFs, but the good news is that week 25 is prime at that resort which means it's probably a decent ratio.

-That should work for me depending on availability at other Resorts. I would be more inclined to vacation at other locations. Thank you.

It’s hard to tell you anything about this without the detail, I’m not sure whether you edited out the details when you posted this or whether the advertiser didn’t include them

So what is the week and unit number and how many points and what is the mf

I have always said that before you buy a timeshare you need to know the product and you need to know your seller, at least by reputation.

So a little history lesson. Fairfield Bay was the original Fairfield Resort And was organized and sold as a fixed week timeshare resort. Generally speaking, with most of the “weeks” timeshare resorts there are different “seasons” (high season, low season and an in between season.) and there are different sized units (1 bed, and 2 bed, 3 bedroom etc)

When originally sold the larger units in the high season sold for more than the low season weeks. But here’s the thing; maintenance fees for all units of the same size were the same. Basically they took the annual condo fee for a condo and divided by 52

All this seems perfectly logical but there is an issue and that is, the owner of an off season week is paying the same mf as the guy that owns a high season week. An example of just how unfair this can be is at my favorite resort, Avenue Plaza in New Orleans. I paid $550 annual mf for my week that was guaranteed for Mardi Gras and the guy that owned a week in August (nobody wants to go to New Orleans in August) also paid the same $550. That just dosent seem fair. And it’s not fair at a resort like Fairfield bay either

So there came a time when Wyndham moved to a points based system and needed to figure out a way to value these weeks in terms of points. As you know from a look at the points chart for any of the resorts, it costs more points to stay in a unit in high season than the same unit in value season

So what’s that mean for us? Here’s another example. I’m going to get the numbers wrong because I bought this package of converted weeks in 2010. And I don’t remember what I had for dinner last night, much less what my maintenance fees were for this ownership 8 years ago

I bought 385000 points in 3 converted weeks. At the same resort. 154000, 126000, and 105000. All weee 2 bedroom units and the annual maintenance fees for each week were the same at about $700. No the math and you see that one week had mf of $4.50/1000, the second week was $5.50/1000 and the third was at $6.60/1000.

So I tell this story so you can see the importance of all the info.(Unit size. MF and week being purchased) To make an informed decision

The info you provided is not sufficient

Generally speaking a larger unit in high season will result in the best maintenance fee ratio. And unless you want that particular week for your annual golf trip. The maintenance fee ratio is the most important piece of information you need

-Lots of good things to consider. Great background info. My main reason for this post was for the input of info that I have not thought about and left out some info because I think I understand I want the lowest fees for the highest points and didn't want to muddy the water, but I don't know all the little details of the system that could bite me later. Which you covered some very helpful info of. Thank you.

-Any thing more I should watch out for or consider when buying resale points? OR why I should buy using some other method? What do you not like about the Wyndham system? Do you consider another Brand to be better? If so why?

-LOL, I have not been there though have been near there many times. Next town over I have a customer and love to visit when I am able. But honestly it probably would be low on the list for vacations.

thats the thing with wyndham points.. you can use your points anywhere in the system You are not limited to your home sesort

-I would be more interested in the points for other destinations. But I have no experience as an owner, I have not figured out how well this will work for me yet.

I’ve never stayed at any resort that I own in Club Wyndham! LOL

I wouldn’t buy Fairfield Bay, but that is for other reasons than location.

-I could see someone buying at other locations due to economical reasons and using the points for other destinations. Unless I find a reason not to, that is what I see myself doing.
-Now we are on the hook, why would you not buy at this location if the numbers were competitive with other resorts?

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham is a great system, cheap to buy into and with reasonable maintenance fees

I’d buy again, if they would let me

The website is a challenge to work with but for a few vacations a year I think acceptable

EverLearn

TUG Member
Reaction score
When doing a contract at any resort or resale, why should someone include or not include their spouse on the contract? We sat through a hicv pitch and I mentioned that I probably would just have my name on the contract if we were to purchase and they were pretty adament about including my wife. Can they be added as a authorized account user after closing with little issues?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I think Marriott is absolutely better.
I think Westin (VSE) is much better than Wyndham.

Of course, I enjoy vacationing in Hawaii, in 4-5* resorts. I don't mind paying for the timeshares and the MF's are pretty darn high.

The problem is........
  • Don't find a timeshare on Ebay and try to rationalize buying it. It's like doing a timeshare presentation on yourself!
  • A) Decide what you want, what you can afford, where/when/how-often you want to vacation and the quality you expect.
  • B) Sample the merchandise before you buy. Think of Costco samples: if it leaves a bad taste in your mouth--spit it out. If you're considering 'mugging' the worker to steal the remaining samples......go buy one for yourself you cheapskate! (JK)
  • After you have the answers to (A), and you've done due-diligence (B), get some input from the experts/crowd-source and then start shopping.
  • Shop smart: get the real info on the sale. No estoppel/deed, no sale. No financing. Financing is not for luxury items. Buy from an established seller with a known reputation....or from an owner with the appropriate proof of ownership and escrow.
Just some suggestions. Remember: some of these 'bargains' can be very hard to get rid of.

I'm being sarcastic above, but it really seems like you're fishing and not ready to buy yet. Good luck!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
When doing a contract at any resort or resale, why should someone include or not include their spouse on the contract? We sat through a hicv pitch and I mentioned that I probably would just have my name on the contract if we were to purchase and they were pretty adament about including my wife. Can they be added as a authorized account user after closing with little issues?

You can deed the unit however you like. The corporation may refuse transfers if they suspect the deed is fraudulent or deceptive.
If the TS is real deeded property (as-in deeded ownership to real-property) then make sure you understand the ownership, the options upon the death of the deeded owner(s), state law as it pertains to deeds/transfers/probate etc....

Depending on your state of residence, the property location and state laws (probate deed), you would be well-advised to seek some legal advice on the best form of ownership for you/your heirs and estate.

cheers.

***somebody on TUG may be able to advise you based on the property and your state of residence.

EverLearn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think Marriott is absolutely better.
I think Westin (VSE) is much better than Wyndham.

Of course, I enjoy vacationing in Hawaii, in 4-5* resorts. I don't mind paying for the timeshares and the MF's are pretty darn high.

The problem is........
  • Don't find a timeshare on Ebay and try to rationalize buying it. It's like doing a timeshare presentation on yourself!
  • A) Decide what you want, what you can afford, where/when/how-often you want to vacation and the quality you expect.
  • B) Sample the merchandise before you buy. Think of Costco samples: if it leaves a bad taste in your mouth--spit it out. If you're considering 'mugging' the worker to steal the remaining samples......go buy one for yourself you cheapskate! (JK)
  • After you have the answers to (A), and you've done due-diligence (B), get some input from the experts/crowd-source and then start shopping.
  • Shop smart: get the real info on the sale. No estoppel/deed, no sale. No financing. Financing is not for luxury items. Buy from an established seller with a known reputation....or from an owner with the appropriate proof of ownership and escrow.
Just some suggestions. Remember: some of these 'bargains' can be very hard to get rid of.

I'm being sarcastic above, but it really seems like you're fishing and not ready to buy yet. Good luck!

Thank you for your input. I generally learn by experience and just trying to limit my pain later!

When buying resale, what documents do you request to see before signing a contract to purchase? Deed? Estoppel? Owners statement?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thank you for your input. I generally learn by experience and just trying to limit my pain later!

When buying resale, what documents do you request to see before signing a contract to purchase? Deed? Estoppel? Owners statement?

The estoppel usually comes later unless the seller/broker pre-orders. A copy of the sterilized deed/contract should be ok, but doesn't indicate current usage/bank/MF's etc....

Point is: know what you're buying before you commit cash and write the terms on the contract very distinctly and include escape clause if incorrect.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs

Since this is on the Wyndham forum I will answer this from the Wyndham owner perspective. You would want your wife on the deed and if you have adult children 21 and over you could consider adding them also. Some people add their parents, in-laws, siblings. I think there is a fee to add someone at a later date, maybe $299.

The reason to have more than just your name on the deed and account is so you can make reservations for the same or overlapping dates in each persons name without having to use guest certificates. They cost $99 online and $129 over the phone. You cannot have reservations for the same or overlapping dates in the same person's name so would have to use a guest certificate if you didn't have someone else on the account and put the other reservation in their name. This would save you money if those adult children or family members would be going to the resorts on their own or arriving before you. Having more than one reservation or overlapping dates without having to use a guest certificate may not seem like a big deal to you now but many of us can tell you it is something we have used and needed.

Last edited:

EverLearn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The estoppel usually comes later unless the seller/broker pre-orders. A copy of the sterilized deed/contract should be ok, but doesn't indicate current usage/bank/MF's etc....

Point is: know what you're buying before you commit cash and write the terms on the contract very distinctly and include escape clause if incorrect.

Yes I agree. This is helpful as I have no idea what order things happen with the paperwork. Thank you.

EverLearn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since this is on the Wyndham forum I will answer this from the Wyndham owner perspective. You would want your wife on the deed and if you have adult children 21 and over you could consider adding them also. Some people add their parents, in-laws, siblings. I think there is a fee to add someone at a later date, maybe $299.

The reason to have more than just your name on the deed and account is so you can make reservations for the same or overlapping dates in each persons name without having to use guest certificates. They cost $99 online and $129 over the phone. This would save you money if those adult children or family members would be going to the resorts on their own or arriving before you. Having more than one reservation or overlapping dates may not seem like a big deal to you now but many of us can tell you it is something we have used and needed.

This is on Wyndham forum because I am interested in becoming Wyndham owner. I have stayed in Westgate many times because of a family member owner but was cautioned by them to try something else.
Your post makes good sense I didn't consider this, but I am planning on using this for family retreats, and family vacations. Thank you.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I'll withdraw a bit and leave you in the good hands of the Wyndham folks.
I think you see the point: there is a lot to learn and many opportunities to make mistakes or miss very valuable opportunities.

Please take time to find what's right for you.....and listen to some experienced voices. It's very easy to make a simple mistake/oversight that can cost you big $$$ in the long run.
Wyndham is a fine system and might be perfect for you. But please take your time and choose carefully.
cheers.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
This makes good sense I didn't consider this, but I am planning on using this for family retreats, and family vacations. Thank you.

I should have added that if you were to get more points at down the road you could put different family members on each deed or contract as long as either you or your wife's name is also on that deed or contract too. Sometimes family members worry about being responsible for the maintenance fees on a large number of points if something should happen to you or your wife. They would only be responsible for the maintenance fees on the deeds or contracts their name is on, not everything in the account. It doesn't matter if someone's name isn't on every deed or contract in the account, all the points in the account can be used to make a reservation in any of the names on the account.

Most new people find themselves looking for more points within a year or two once they learn to use the booking system and start going to the resorts. You will soon find yourself day dreaming about resorts and locations you could go to.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

The reason to have more than just your name on the deed and account is so you can make reservations for the same or overlapping dates in each persons name without having to use guest certificates. They cost $99 online and $129 over the phone. You cannot have reservations for the same or overlapping dates in the same person's name so would have to use a guest certificate if you didn't have someone else on the account and put the other reservation in their name. This would save you money if those adult children or family members would be going to the resorts on their own or arriving before you. Having more than one reservation or overlapping dates without having to use a guest certificate may not seem like a big deal to you now but many of us can tell you it is something we have used and needed.

Thanks for the great input, you made the perfect point: things are not always what they seem....there may be many reasons for choosing one path vs the other......

uscav8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason I would look at other resorts is primarily due to MF. While Fairfield Bay May be decent, there are certainly better MF rates to be found.

Secondly, I’d consider the desirability of the location if you ever what to get rid of it. Say, for instance, that FB has the same low MF as Grand Desert in Vegas or Ocean Blvd in Myrtle Beach. Those locales have much better draws and more chance someone would want it for MF AND ARP. That should help prop up the resale value.

The third consideration, which actually might work in FB’s favor, is acquisition cost, and works somewhat opposite of the second consideration. If few people want FB in the future we can assume the same today. If so, you might be able to get it for less than the same amount of points at OB.

EverLearn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I should have added that if you were to get more points at down the road you could put different family members on each deed or contract as long as either you or your wife's name is also on that deed or contract too. Sometimes family members worry about being responsible for the maintenance fees on a large number of points if something should happen to you or your wife. They would only be responsible for the maintenance fees on the deeds or contracts their name is on, not everything in the account. It doesn't matter if someone's name isn't on every deed or contract in the account, all the points in the account can be used to make a reservation in any of the names on the account.

Most new people find themselves looking for more points within a year or two once they learn to use the booking system and start going to the resorts. You will soon find yourself day dreaming about resorts and locations you could go to.

This will save us a lot of time /money! Thank you!

EverLearn

TUG Member
Reaction score
The reason I would look at other resorts is primarily due to MF. While Fairfield Bay May be decent, there are certainly better MF rates to be found.

Secondly, I’d consider the desirability of the location if you ever what to get rid of it. Say, for instance, that FB has the same low MF as Grand Desert in Vegas or Ocean Blvd in Myrtle Beach. Those locales have much better draws and more chance someone would want it for MF AND ARP. That should help prop up the resale value.

The third consideration, which actually might work in FB’s favor, is acquisition cost, and works somewhat opposite of the second consideration. If few people want FB in the future we can assume the same today. If so, you might be able to get it for less than the same amount of points at OB.

I agree with the points that you bring up but so far this location has the best ratios of mf's to points I have found for sale so far at 154000 points, guessing for the reasons ronparise pointed out.

I am looking at other brands and locations per taterhed's and your recommendation but still leaning towards this as a test/start to see how we like Wyndham system vs the other brands we have sampled. Weighing the pros and cons of what we know at this point it still works.

Wyndham has many choices between 2hrs and a days drive in every direction including this location and the buy in is low enough as you pointed out. If JanM is correct this will be the start of several more which we will consider purchasing for arp and additional points at the locations we enjoy the most.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Good for you! (not sarcastic)

My point was: decide what's right, make a plan and act.

Wyndham/FB may be perfect you.....but only you can decide. Just make sure BEFORE you pull the trigger!

cheers.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Good for you! (not sarcastic)

My point was: decide what's right, make a plan and act.

Wyndham/FB may be perfect you.....but only you can decide. Just make sure BEFORE you pull the trigger!

cheers.

This.

And enjoy the vacation experiences to come!