• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are the best and worst timeshare companies in Mexico?

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hear many horror stories about deceptions, fraud, lies and aggressive timeshare sales tactics in Mexico. I have some stories of my own. To help each other and future timeshare buyers, can you share your experiences with both positive and negative stories of specific timeshare companies you have dealt with in Mexico? If you have bought a timeshare and later found out you have been lied to and it is past the 5 day recision period, how do you get out of the contract? Can you just stop paying? Who do you report the fraud to in Mexico? Can anyone in the USA help us?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
PROFECO is Mexico's Consumer Protection Agency to lodge your complaint. Some have successfully reversed the sale with the developer through PROFECO.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi Hankmoon ,
If you want a bad one - read - the Vallarta Gardens TUG thread .

The good ones - honor what is written in the contract- not enough buyers read the contract before the 5 days are up ,and verbal promises are just hot air - if not in writing .

Last edited:

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to Profeco information: http://www.profeco.gob.mx/revista/publicaciones/otas_pub_06/timeshares_abr06.pdf

Look at the sticky posts at the top of the Mexico forum (in pink) and click on the first one about your right of rescission in Mexico. There is a lot of information in that very long thread.

Hi Karen,

I couldn't figure out how to get to the sticky posts in pink. This link went to the PDF not the forum. Is there another link to the forum?

Thanks,
Hank

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I hear many horror stories about deceptions, fraud, lies and aggressive timeshare sales tactics in Mexico. I have some stories of my own. To help each other and future timeshare buyers, can you share your experiences with both positive and negative stories of specific timeshare companies you have dealt with in Mexico? If you have bought a timeshare and later found out you have been lied to and it is past the 5 day recision period, how do you get out of the contract? Can you just stop paying? Who do you report the fraud to in Mexico? Can anyone in the USA help us?

My guess is that most of the resorts selling timeshares in Mexico are legit. After the 5 day rescission period, which does not include Saturday, Sunday or Mexican Holidays, the contract is valid. Verbal promises are not valid. Yes, you can stop paying but might end up with a collection agency trying to collect. I say might because to get a collection order, the developer in Mexico would have to follow procedures in the USA that might not be worth the time and effort. These developers like the easy money and there is plenty of that considering how many timeshares are sold in Mexico. If you google your timeshare with +fraud you might find some links that might help.

Article 56.- The contract will be perfected five business days after delivery of the goods or signing the contract, whichever is the latest. During that time, the consumer will have the power to revoke his consent without liability. Revocation shall be made by notice or by delivery of the property in person, by registered mail, or by other reliable means. The revocation made pursuant to this article leaves the operation without effect. In this case, the costs of freight and insurance will be borne by the consumer. In the case of services, the foregoing shall not apply if the date of rendering of the service is ten working days or less from the date of the purchase order.

Most people get out off these contracts by giving them away. I think this is the easiest way but it definitely won't seem worth doing so considering the amount paid to purchase.

Bill

seetheworld

Reaction score
We're members with elite1500 concierge services based in Mexico. They actually gave a full month to think things over before the contract became final. No crazy pressure which we really appreciated. Very professional group and everything was carefully spelled out and explained.
Get it down in writing!! Don't just rely on verbal promises and don't let them rush you.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
[QUOTE="seetheworld, post: 2068493, member: 99780"
Get it down in writing!! Don't just rely on verbal promises and don't let them rush you.[/QUOTE]

Don't just rely on verbal promises - get it in writing - makes sense .

As a first time post - the rest sounds a lot like a shill posting .

seetheworld

Reaction score
The question asked was "best and worst." There are some good ones out there, no?

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
We absolutely love being owners in the Universal Vacation Club system (Villa Del Palmar). One of the best purchases we have ever made. I'd like to add them to the "best" list.

WackyLucy

Reaction score
As a first time post - the rest sounds a lot like a shill posting.

Agreed. It is also worthy of note that all (3) posts by "seetheworld" since first registering on TUG earlier this week all manage to drop the name of this unknown "elite1500 concierge services". Perhaps this is just a remarkable coincidence. :rolleyes:

BoaterMike

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Caribbean, Royal Haciendas, Marriott Grand Chateau,
The question asked was "best and worst." There are some good ones out there, no?
Royal Resorts is very credible. The interest and activity on this forum has diminished over the past several years. Some resorts started to add all-inclusive properties, and a few resorts have reached the end of their agreement term. However, they do treat people well, are not pushy and owners do not have to take the AI if they are not interested.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We absolutely love being owners in the Universal Vacation Club system (Villa Del Palmar). One of the best purchases we have ever made. I'd like to add them to the "best" list.

Same here. I especially like being able to go to six different resorts in three different beach locations of Mexico by just making the reservation. I like the size of the resorts. I like the amenities of these resorts. I like the restaurants and bars at these resorts. Most of all, I like the locations.

I would add UVCI or Villa del Palmar to the "best list".

http://myuvci.com/

Bill

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any resorts in the Cancun-Playa Del Carmen Corridor (preferably closer to PDC) that are points-based. We just got back from staying at the Royal Haciendas in PDC. We rented from an ad we saw on TUG. We rented a partial week because that's all we wanted/needed. We loved our stay there.
If we were to go there again, I don't think we would want to rent (and, hence, stay for) a full week. So I'm just wondering if there are any resorts in that area where owners have some sort of a points package that would allow them to book partial week stays.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
If you want "best resorts," Vidanta is at or near the top. If you want "worst sales practices," Vidanta is at or near the bottom.

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want "best resorts," Vidanta is at or near the top. If you want "worst sales practices," Vidanta is at or near the bottom.

Don't you mean to say "Vidanta is at or near the top" of both the categories? The best resorts plus the worst sales practices. A Grand Mayan sales presentation was some of the worst 6 hours of my life. Never again!

jlp879

TUG Member
Reaction score
Something that was supposed to be 90 minutes?

Yep, and now you know why they call it a "Mexican minute". The sales person couldn't comprehend why we were complaining about our time being wasted.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Why not just leave?
There are at least 2 reasons I can think for staying:
Some are just too polite and can’t just say goodbye and leave.
Some others want their “gifts” or promised money for attending and feel trapped into staying.
Either way, just say no and leave. Not worth the aggravation.
I will be at NV GM next week. I will only go to a presentation if I get the suite that Phyllis (Pittle) got recently, but only for 90 minutes after breakfast. If necessary (hopefully not), I will give them a countdown to leaving. I find it ridiculous that Phyllis, who has been a long time owner in Vida had to do that to get out of the worst possible suite location. Shame on Vidanta for such tactics, total disloyalty on their part.