• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are some things you say that make you feel old?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
On another recent thread Talent mentions the game Freecell. I hadn’t heard that game in a long time and it got me thinking about things we say that dates us.

Now, I don’t consider myself old at all, in fact I feel like a newbie with this group, but AARP does keep mailing me solicitations. I have two boys 9 and 13 so I am butting heads with old school and new school.

Yesterday, I reminded my oldest son to tape a show. Afterwards, I thought to myself, “he probably doesn’t even know what “tape” even means”. I had to correct myself and ask him to please DVR/record the show.

What have you said in conversation that afterward you thought gave away your age?

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, if you're not home I'll just leave you a message on your answering machine.

I do still find myself wanting to save something on a floppy disk. And why do I still have floppy disks? :ponder:

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just with my 5 y/o grandson last week and asked him if he wanted to play cards - or watch cartoons. He said, "What's cartoons." I realized that everything he watches is animated - but not cartoons.

"We are in the phone book." I guess - if you can find one.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
A couple weeks ago I needed to explain to my teen aged daughter that you need to dial "1" before the area code when making a phone call from a land line.

Kurt

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Not something said . . . but . . . when someone opens a door for me.

20 or so years ago, the gal who cut my hair said, "You can't get that color out of a bottle."

& I thought "who would want to?"

Last edited:
Reactions: RX8

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
A couple weeks ago I needed to explain to my teen aged daughter that you need to dial "1" before the area code when making a phone call from a land line.

Kurt

You do? Who’d a thunk it:D?

Cheers

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Kurt

I think you are referencing having to “dial” but I honestly don’t think my kids know what a landline is.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Definitely when I am talking tech to my grandkids. They just look at me like, "What is wrong with you?" And when I see my 2-year-old granddaughter playing electronic games, too.

The older kids stayed with us over spring break, they are 12 and 9, and I made a few blunders with my cell phone (accidentally erased a contact), and I couldn't get my computer to restart (the plug came out enough that it used up the battery, which Evie noticed right away but I didn't), and I asked my granddaughter how to get to a place to add a new app to my phone that our visiting four-year-old granddaughter wanted to play, and a few others I cannot remember.

They play video games a lot. Our grandson gave me the control to play a game with him. He told me how to use the control, and I didn't get it. I used to be able to play video games, but I didn't see things he needed me to do. Shake the control, Gram, now jump up and down to break it. I was not doing well at it.

I think everything makes me feel old. I don't see dirt like I used to. I think my house is clean, and then I bend down to pick something off of the bathroom floor and see crud next to the toilet. She just didn't seem to know how to clean anymore. Where did that come from? I just mopped 5 days ago. My grandmother had that problem, and my aunt went to her house and cleaned it once a month. The bathroom was so dirty. She just didn't seem to know how to clean anymore.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Not something I said but another story.

I had been going to the same barbershop for haircuts. I was 45 at the time. The lady cutting my hair would always welcome me by saying “Come in, young man”. Made me feel somewhat good that she thought of me as a young man. That is, until one day as I was in the chair getting my haircut and a guy who had to have been 95 years old came in. The barber says to him “Come on in, young man”.

Burst my bubble.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I still read a printed newspaper, though i have cut down to only getting the Sunday edition... If i am busy on the weekend i usually take some of the sections to work so read them at lunch. I had a younger employee ask me if I knew i could get the same news online.....

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I remember when students were in college, they would write you a sweet letter asking for a few dollars.

Now it is granddad please read your cellphone messages. I need a couple of hundred dollars for the weekend.:wave:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just with my 5 y/o grandson last week and asked him if he wanted to play cards - or watch cartoons. He said, "What's cartoons." I realized that everything he watches is animated - but not cartoons.

"We are in the phone book." I guess - if you can find one.
Had a similar thing with grands last week. I told their mom we went to see a movie, one that she had not heard of. I said it was a cartoon. Was immediately corrected by the 8 year old --
"It 's not a cartoon."

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

Kurt

I still dial "1" when calling a non-saved phone call on my cell phone.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Kurt

You think you're old? I still remember before that was a requirement. All area codes had a 0 or 1 in the middle digit, and telephone exchanges couldn't use that combination. Thus, the system could tell the difference between dialing an area code or an exchange. The +1 requirement came about when they ran out of number space, and thus had to use all number combinations for area code.

Bob, whose first real job was Bell Labs, another entity that doesn't (independently) exist any more.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I wonder . . . did we spend as much time reading 2 newspapers a day as we now spend checking our smartphones every time we get diddled?

Am I the only one that gets irritated when you go out to eat with another couple, or you have houseguests visiting, and everyone is on their own device?

Am I the only one that turns around when the person behind you in line at WalMart starts talking real loud, obviously to someone, and you turn around thinking they must be talking to you.

. . . "HEY!!! HOW YA DOIN'?"

Or . . . in the movie Hidden Figures, when they got the new "IBM", and the lady "checked out a book at the library" about Fortran, and they had to punch out a bunch of cards to tell that IBM what to do . . . and I took that course in college, and that's exactly what I did???!!!

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still refer to sound recordings as records.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I wonder . . . did we spend as much time reading 2 newspapers a day as we now spending checking our smartphones every time we get diddled?

Am I the only one that gets irritated when you go out to eat with another couple, or you have houseguests visiting, and everyone is on their own device?

Am I the only one that turns around when the person behind you in line at WalMart starts talking real loud, obviously to someone, and you turn around thinking they must be talking to you.

. . . "HEY!!! HOW YA DOIN'?"

Or . . . in the movie Hidden Figures, when they got the new "IBM", and the lady "checked out a book at the library" about Fortran, and they had to punch out a bunch of cards to tell that IBM what to do . . . and I took that course in college, and that's exactly what I did???!!!

But the real test - did you use the punches from the Hollerith cards and place them in the A/C of someone's car you wanted to get?
Christmas in July!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
When did I go from being "Miss" to "Ma'am"? :)

Probably near the same time I saw a fine looking woman approaching, she with a smile, ready to strike up a conversation...and she starts it with ......."Sir...." and I aged 50 years in one second...

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
What I said to a waitress: "No onions. Onions make me gassy."
Does that mean I'm old, or just annoying?

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
You think you're old? I still remember before that was a requirement. All area codes had a 0 or 1 in the middle digit, and telephone exchanges couldn't use that combination. Thus, the system could tell the difference between dialing an area code or an exchange. The +1 requirement came about when they ran out of number space, and thus had to use all number combinations for area code.

Bob, whose first real job was Bell Labs, another entity that doesn't (independently) exist any more.
I have alot of problems with phones. My first cell phone was the size of a brick, now my kids ask why I havent upgraded my Samsung 5. BTW I am a bell head. One of my first projects was converting a x-bar office over to a dms. For those of you who dont know what Im talking about a x-bar you could hear all the relays when someone made a call and a dms was a digital office and alot quieter.