• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What’s new in club 2019 - RCI Select Exchange - More difficult if not elite

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Seems some RCI exchanges will be more difficult if you are not elite.

If I understand this right, RCI is holding these resorts back from other RCI members. Wonder what resorts are being held back from hgvc that other chain members have access to first?

Interesting that Gulf Tides is one of them. I own a week there. It is nice but no way would I consider it a distinctive resort.

In their current Travelers Club “what’s new in club for 2019” this is what it says

RCI Select Exchange
All Club Members now have access to a selection of the most distinctive resorts in the RCI global portfolio through RCI Select Exchange. Booking windows for these select resorts open exclusively to Hilton Grand Vacations Club Members before they become available to other RCI members.

• Elite Members may book a reservation at an RCI Select Exchange Resort beginning 12 months prior to the desired check-in date through 6 months prior to check-in.
  • Club Members may book a reservation at an RCI Select Exchange Resort beginning 6 months prior to the desired check-in date through 3 months prior to check-in.
  • Remaining inventory is available to all RCI members beginning at 3 months prior to the desired check-in date through 1 day prior to check-in.”

Resorts in the list are
Florida
DRIFTWOOD BEACH CLUB (#0409)
LEGACY VACATION CLUB INDIAN SHORES (#4047)
GULF TIDES OF LONGBOAT KEY (#0582)

California
DESERT ISLE OF PALM SPRINGS (#0764)
WORLDMARK WINE COUNTRY SONOMA (#7548)

Europe
CARPEDIEM ROMA GOLF CLUB (#4267)
ROYAL REGENCY (#3068)
FITZPATRICK HOLIDAY HOMES (#0513)
ESTIVAL PARK (#2579)

Caribbean
MORRITT'S GRALND RESORT (#5930)
SIMPSON BAY RESORT & MARINA (#1516)
BLUEBEARD'S CASTLE HILLTOP VILLAS (#7654)
DIVI ARUBA PHOENIX BEACH RESORT (#4032)

New Orleans
THE QUARTER HOUSE (#3184)

Williamsburg
GREENSPRINGS VACATION RESORT (#3989)

Arizona
SEDONA SPRINGS RESORT (#3659)
SCOTTSDALE CAMELBACK RESORT (#1150)

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
They may have been simply too popular for their own good.
This makes it way more difficult for "regular" folk to get into.
I wonder if the resorts or the owners had a say in this.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
  • Remaining inventory is available to all RCI members beginning at 3 months prior to the desired check-in date through 1 day prior to check-in

Some of these resorts are generally available in RCI.
So I find the above statement hard to believe but I guess we will see. :shrug:

For example, here’s what I current see this morning for Quarter House and I’m not an Elite member. I can also see the Fri 26-Jun-2020 to Fri 03-Jul-2020 week with my non-HGVC RCI account.

F37BE72C-D74D-4B4D-AC58-F574E2DC82A6.png

Attachments

• B133A615-6C7C-420E-955C-FA9464F27F67.png
    B133A615-6C7C-420E-955C-FA9464F27F67.png
    206.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Yawn, just another dubious Elite “benefit” for Sales to tout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Also Disney has been offering RCI SELECT for a few years to all DVC members. And they provide a better offering than this new limited option from HGVC.

From an old 2015 Disboard post (link)
RCI Select Resorts: This selection of destinations features 70 Member-favorite vacation options available through RCI. Chosen with Members in mind, these properties offer increased availability—and Vacation Point exchange value—in popular destinations.
As a DVC member, here’s what I see today via RCI SELECT for
- Hawaii
- New York
- Europe
- Florida

371F93CB-05B8-4C93-9FB0-BE3F61524FD0.png 95B00A02-099C-4509-B7A5-4EB9BA948CF3.png 3B3B9B9F-F286-415B-8B3F-5309F73FE969.png 49A3E67D-8B03-47BB-AEF3-11A609A3DA5B.png

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I own one of the Elites, never knew!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMO...none of the RCI resorts are on our list to visit. If we wanted to visit, we can get better/equivalent Marriott, Vistana, Hyatt with II getaways at same locations so this offers zero value to us.

Sad, to see another small devaluation of the system because non-elite HGVC and resales get boxed in.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IMO...none of the RCI resorts are on our list to visit. If we wanted to visit, we can get better/equivalent Marriott, Vistana, Hyatt with II getaways at same locations so this offers zero value to us.

Sad, to see another small devaluation of the system because non-elite HGVC and resales get boxed in.
I found no worth for me either as the selections in most areas have much better selections.

What concerns me is what we will eventually be boxed out of that other systems get priority to. This is the start of something, how much of a problem in the future we will see.

Considering how great hgvc properties are, Hgvc did not negotiate well for their members.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Considering how great hgvc properties are, Hgvc did not negotiater well for their members.

I think it boils down to HGVC being viewed as a competitor to Wyndham, DVC much less so due to location limits and high price.

Let's not forget that Wyndham owns RCI. Wyndham reps probably love to cite access to Disney, but would not mention access to HGVC for fear of losing the sale to a competitor.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We can only hope that HGVC moves to II someday. (Wishful thinking, I suppose). So much more comparable inventory over there. RCI inventory, with the exception of DVC, is not really the same quality as Hilton.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I wonder if this could be a result in some decline in Hilton trading power due to the resort fees added for RCI exchangers.

In a way I think not. My guess is the HGVC inventory still gets taken just not as quickly as it used to.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I just re-read the list and see the Royal Regency is on the list. That will be a bummer for some since it isn't the easiest trade anyway. I'm thankful that we already booked that week and don't really plan on returning. Otherwise there's not much on the list that would be of interest to me.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
HGVC may be the third stepchild in the exchange world with competitors such as Marriott now taking over II, and Wyndham RCI. I bet the only reason Wyndham gives HGVC any preference is that DVC owners demand the 4-4.5 star HGVC trades vs. 3.5 star Wyndham/Worldmark trades. Wyndham needs DVC.

On a positive note this may mean HGVC may pursue independent exchange agreements as they have done with Fiesta Americana and Anatara. Short stay ability and no exchange or resort fees are good.

Last edited:

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I found no worth for me either as the selections in most areas have much better selections.

What concerns me is what we will eventually be boxed out of that other systems get priority to. This is the start of something, how much of a problem in the future we will see.

Considering how great hgvc properties are, Hgvc did not negotiater well for their members.

Yes, I agree it is a concern. HGVC owners are already at a disadvantage compared to other systems when it comes to RCI.

First, HGVC owners may actually be the only RCI members that don't have online access to RCI's Extra Vacations cash rentals. :crash:

Second, HGVC owners are prevented from seeing any HGVC resort deposits into RCI Weeks more than 9 months before checkin (except RCI Points). This allows all other RCI members priority access to HGVC deposits into RCI. :wall:

Thankfully I own non-HGVC timeshares with access to RCI and Interval International. But I honestly I hate to see HGVC members at a disadvantage.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I agree it is a concern. HGVC owners are already at a disadvantage compared to other systems when it comes to RCI.

First, HGVC owners may actually be the only RCI members that don't have online access to RCI's Extra Vacations cash rentals. :crash:

Second, HGVC owners are prevented from seeing any HGVC resort deposits into RCI Weeks more than 9 months before checkin (except RCI Points). This allows all other RCI members priority access to HGVC deposits into RCI. :wall:

Thankfully I own non-HGVC timeshares with access to RCI and Interval International. But I honestly I hate to see HGVC members at a disadvantage.
There is so much constantly changing in the industry, not just HGVC, that it is hard to keep up.

HGVC focus has never been on getting its members good trading power/rules with RCI.

Whereas many have seen HGVC as better to their members and believe trading within won’t change, I always worry it can as slowly benefits in all systems are slowly eroding not only in resale but from those buying directly from the developer.

My belief for hgvc still is buy where you would want to go in a high demand area. All my hgvc weeks except one are in hgvc affiliates where even if hgvc went away there would still be a resale value for the ones I paid for but more importantly I would use them. The one that is not an affiliated is in Myrtle Beach Anderson, maybe not the newest, but a 2 bedroom oceanfront, guaranteed July 4th week. I got this one for the points but know I can always rent or get rid of it easily.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Whereas many have seen HGVC as better to their members and believe trading within won’t change, I always worry it can as slowly benefits in all systems are slowly eroding not only in resale but from those buying directly from the developer.
Sadly I fear the same as well.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Years ago not only did I get great exchanges via RCI I also got great deals on “excess inventory” (unused weeks for $207 total). Not anymore.

Lately, I’ve been getting calls from RCI every morning regarding a Maui exchanges. I don’t even answer the phone anymore. It’s always the same very tired and worn resorts. Clearly I’m not the only person rejecting these exchanges. I officially put a couple of the resorts on my “do not offer me this exchange again” list. Now I don’t even bother.

I know I need to update my search but I don’t know what RCI exchanges I’d be willing to accept. I thought I could do an RCI exchange for our next trip to Europe but when I look at the RCI resorts at the places I intend to visit I see the same types of reviews—“tired” “needs updating.”

I know our next trip will be mainly Airbnb.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Seems some RCI exchanges will be more difficult if you are not elite.

If I understand this right, RCI is holding these resorts back from other RCI members. Wonder what resorts are being held back from hgvc that other chain members have access to first?

Interesting that Gulf Tides is one of them. I own a week there. It is nice but no way would I consider it a distinctive resort.

In their current Travelers Club “what’s new in club for 2019” this is what it says

RCI Select Exchange
All Club Members now have access to a selection of the most distinctive resorts in the RCI global portfolio through RCI Select Exchange. Booking windows for these select resorts open exclusively to Hilton Grand Vacations Club Members before they become available to other RCI members.

• Elite Members may book a reservation at an RCI Select Exchange Resort beginning 12 months prior to the desired check-in date through 6 months prior to check-in.
  • Club Members may book a reservation at an RCI Select Exchange Resort beginning 6 months prior to the desired check-in date through 3 months prior to check-in.
  • Remaining inventory is available to all RCI members beginning at 3 months prior to the desired check-in date through 1 day prior to check-in.”

Resorts in the list are
Florida
DRIFTWOOD BEACH CLUB (#0409)
LEGACY VACATION CLUB INDIAN SHORES (#4047)
GULF TIDES OF LONGBOAT KEY (#0582)

California
DESERT ISLE OF PALM SPRINGS (#0764)
WORLDMARK WINE COUNTRY SONOMA (#7548)

Europe
CARPEDIEM ROMA GOLF CLUB (#4267)
ROYAL REGENCY (#3068)
FITZPATRICK HOLIDAY HOMES (#0513)
ESTIVAL PARK (#2579)

Caribbean
MORRITT'S GRALND RESORT (#5930)
SIMPSON BAY RESORT & MARINA (#1516)
BLUEBEARD'S CASTLE HILLTOP VILLAS (#7654)
DIVI ARUBA PHOENIX BEACH RESORT (#4032)

New Orleans
THE QUARTER HOUSE (#3184)

Williamsburg
GREENSPRINGS VACATION RESORT (#3989)

Arizona
SEDONA SPRINGS RESORT (#3659)
SCOTTSDALE CAMELBACK RESORT (#1150)

Looking at the resort option I feel that I’m once again loosing NOTHING by not being elite. :)

Had they added the option for a mission to Mars I might have felt that I lost something:)

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Looking at the resort option I feel that I’m once again loosing NOTHING by not being elite. :)

Had they added the option for a mission to Mars I might have felt that I lost something:)

That's the way I feel too. None of those would be places I feel I would trade into. My biggest fear is they set aside some units from those HGVC resorts that were in the RCI list that @alwysonvac showed leaving less for HGVC members to book.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies

I see nothing that I think would be worth the price of admission. It is not discussed much on TUG, but the one thing that I wonder if it has much value would be access the the registry collection. I am curious if having it would make it much easier to get two bedroom trades with DVC and I would like access to the timeshare associated with the Omni Homestead. I think access to it MAY add value, but maybe not ... and certainly not enough to make me shell out the dough.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
It may be used by salesmen to up the ante,
but for us plebes, it's pretty much a yawner.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see nothing that I think would be worth the price of admission. It is not discussed much on TUG, but the one thing that I wonder if it has much value would be access the the registry collection. I am curious if having it would make it much easier to get two bedroom trades with DVC and I would like access to the timeshare associated with the Omni Homestead. I think access to it MAY add value, but maybe not ... and certainly not enough to make me shell out the dough.
From what I have seen the point requirements for the registry collection is huge and IMO not worth it. I'm beginning to think that it is one of the reasons why you have to be elite premiere to get the access. If you are elite premiere you have a minimum of 34K points and then you could get a few weeks.

I just signed into my DVC account as that have access to the registry collection. I can see that a 2br at either HGVC trump or Elara will cost you 500 DVC points. Those points could easily rent for $9k. I also found a 2br at Wyndham Bali Hai Villas PR and those would cost you 800 DVC points for a week. If the point requirement is just as horrific for HGVC i''m starting to second guess if the 34k will give you more than 2 weeks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The Shell exchanges through RCI are very costly. I can get the same exchange for much less using RCI Points. i cannot imagine owners using RCI to get anything. It's just so over-the-top for MF value to exchange with RCI. It's a disappointment.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies