• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Whale Watch Season Maui

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Maui next year and considering the end of March. Is that still prime Whale Watch Season or should I go earlier in the month?

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I think whale season in Maui is considered Nov - May, although peak season is Jan - March. Whale watching cruises primarily run during peak season. Once you hit April, there are generally fewer than peak in February per say.

We were there in Feb this year and saw quite a few. Not as many as in the past, but certainly enough to capture your attention (even from the beach). We've been the first week in April before, and saw quite a few then also. Every year is probably a little different, but I'd say end of March is likely within range...while Feb probably near peak of peak..if you went a few weeks earlier.

Google a bit to see historical trends. Enjoy Maui!

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
We have traditionally gone the last week of March. We have always seen lots of whales. The babies are bigger and they are more active. Last year we went the first week of March and saw the usual amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
We've gone as late as the 10th of April and still seen whales however, the number of whales is definitely diminished from what we saw a week ago today. It truly was "whale soup".

mike2200

TUG Member
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Maui next year and considering the end of March. Is that still prime Whale Watch Season or should I go earlier in the month?

Peak season is Jan to march..we are at MOC now and it is obvious of how much less whale action there is compared to being here late Jan thru mid Feb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carlsbadguy

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone on Maui last week or this week. Are there still many whales to see? Thinking of a visit this same time period next year or should I plan earlier in March?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Not there now, but prime season tends to be late Jan-Feb-early March, but numbers have been down for the past two years. Maybe the count is down, the visits are more spread-out, etc., no one knows why.

If you are taking a whale-watching trip you should be fine in any case.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
They are saying numbers are down this year in general.

We have seen whales this week though. If you go out on the water with an experienced boat company you will see whales. We have also seen them from shores but of course they are farther out and nothing like seeing them from a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Anyone on Maui last week or this week. Are there still many whales to see? Thinking of a visit this same time period next year or should I plan earlier in March?
We just got back, left Maui on the 20th. Weather was very strange while we were there, chilly and windy. It did get better by the time we left. We took a whale watching tour during our first week on March 6. Did see whales, but not as many as in the past. We saw one whale from our lanai and a couple on the beach, but again much less activity than in past years.

We already have one week reserved for next March, the 6 to 13. I may look at getting a week ahead of that one for our two weeks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
We used to go with Pacific Whale each year. We went with Maui Adventure Cruises this year and saw whales up close and personal in that raft. We went at 8 AM, and we had whales surrounding our boat for 30 minutes. Mom and baby and a couple of others not as close, but closer than Pacific Whale gets. The whales are very curious about the rafts. We will do Maui Adventure Cruises every year.
28276486_1680215185393085_4736435449215175629_n.jpg

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
The above photo is me on that whale watch. Rick's stepmom painted that sweater for me. She is an artist who can draw Mickey and Minnie as well as the artists at Disney. Heaven only knows why she stayed a Keebler line employee for 30+ years.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We used to go with Pacific Whale each year. We went with Maui Adventure Cruises this year and saw whales up close and personal in that raft. We went at 8 AM, and we had whales surrounding our boat for 30 minutes. Mom and baby and a couple of others not as close, but closer than Pacific Whale gets. The whales are very curious about the rafts. We will do Maui Adventure Cruises every year.
28276486_1680215185393085_4736435449215175629_n.jpg
Cindy ALL boats and companies are bound by the same regulations. They cannot get within a certain distance of tne whales. However, if whales approach the boat, the boat is to stop movement until the whale(s) leave. We've been on Pacific Whale Watch tours where whales have swum underneath the boat. So, you just got lucky on tnat trip, had nothing to do with the tour operator.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cindy ALL boats and companies are bound by the same regulations. They cannot get within a certain distance of tne whales. However, if whales approach the boat, the boat is to stop movement until the whale(s) leave. We've been on Pacific Whale Watch tours where whales have swum underneath the boat. So, you just got lucky on tnat trip, had nothing to do with the tour operator.
I know all of that. The whales were very curious. The boat's motor went off immediately, when someone spotted the turquoise color near the boat. We had two really great trips with this company. This one was the best. Our friends have a condo on Maui and were with us on both of our trips, and she took some great photos and videos.

Then we went on Pacific Whale the day before we left and didn't have any luck. I prefer Maui Adventure Cruises. It's a nice bunch. And I liked the rafts. I had to wear a long jacket to keep out of the sun, but it was cool enough on the water.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The zodiacs are nice because they can transition to another area very quickly, among other benefits. Definitely not as dry and stable as big boats.

Getting mugged though, depends on the luck of the draw. :)

YES! It was wonderful. The smaller boat gave us all a close up view of the whale and her baby. The mom kept popping up her head to look at us. The bigger boats are no longer what I want. We also saw spinner whales, but we see those from our lanai quite a bit at Hono Koa.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
The zodiacs are nice because they can transition to another area very quickly, among other benefits. Definitely not as dry and stable as big boats.

Getting mugged though, depends on the luck of the draw. :)
We actually prefer the bigger boats to the zodiacs.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
We actually prefer any boat that allows us to get close to the whales.

This year I had to convince my wife that two boats was the limit!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
I see all this talk about Maui so it’s now on the bucket list. Does anyone know if you can see whales from the big island? That’s where we’re heading in a couple of weeks.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I see all this talk about Maui so it’s now on the bucket list. Does anyone know if you can see whales from the big island? That’s where we’re heading in a couple of weeks.

Yes, the Big Island does have whales but it is getting very late in the season.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You may be able to see them, but the largest number of whale congregate on Maui.

taffy19

Reaction score
I think this might answer some of your questions....

https://www.pacificwhale.org/research/hawaii-wdt-sightings-map/
That is a great link to have handy, Rob! :D

They are still here as we have seen a few pods hanging around this morning from our balcony at the Maui Ocean Club and they stayed a long time so that small motor boats and Catamarans had time to get closer up to them. It is true that whales are leaving earlier the last few years. We used to see multiple pods all at once in every direction but not anymore. :bawl: We used to see whales until the middle of April in Kihei too but I do not expect that to happen this year.

So long the whale watching boats are still going, you should see them from your boat. What Cindy saw was very special. We also prefer the rafts because they can get to the whales a lot faster but still have to keep their legal distance but the whales seem to be attracted to our response to seeing them. ;)

To the OP of this thread, I would go earlier in March rather than later.

taffy19

Reaction score
We went whale watching yesterday from Lahaina and saw several pods and they were close but not as close as what Cindy saw in post #11.

We are seeing several pods now from our balcony too but in the distance. Same spot where we were yesterday with the raft. They are closer to the Island of Lanai.