• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If you want to know if your tax bills are on the books as paid - you will need to call Finance at 340-776-6698. I spoke with them today, but the computer system was down. This would be only for tax bills 2005 and prior.

I can see my prior tax bills on the DB also (not listed as paid or not) - and the latest on the 2006 taxes. What is weird is that the other weeks for my unit have differing amounts - some higher - some lower. Typical USVI...

You said you saw them there on the website - but did you receive one by mail?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thread on new refurbishes for the Kitchen and Bathrooms (11/3/08)
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84642

Our favorite hot sauce (from STJ) makes the big time...
http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2717&Itemid=1

Trinidad Charlie's West Indian Pumpkin Pepper Sauce

Nowhere to go and nowhere to be,
“Trinidad Charlie” on a stool next to me,
Readin’ his book ’bout the “haves” and “have-nots,”
In between chapters we take another shot.
And one by one we slide from reality,
With nowhere to go, and nowhere to be…

from Kenny Chesney "Lucky Old Sun"

Last edited:

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not my ad - from myresortnetwork:

Gold plus
St / 1 4
$7,500.00

First floor studio with full kitchen, living room, dining area,full bath, king size bed, washer, dryer. Located next to pool with barbecues for outdoor cooking. Full access to all the resort amenities. The Westin's private ferry provides access to St. Thomas. Beautiful views, beach, workout room and much more.
(see pictures) (email owner)

Call me crazy, but this is a good deal, right? And, wouldn't it have the added benefit of having DavidnRobin as tour guides?

If only I had liquidated my stock portfolio a year ago .....

Let's vote on who would make the best neighbor for DnR?

Nodge -- entertainment value
SDKath -- medical emergency
GrayFal -- finds best liquor store bargains

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not my ad - from myresortnetwork:

Gold plus
St / 1 4
$7,500.00

First floor studio with full kitchen, living room, dining area,full bath, king size bed, washer, dryer. Located next to pool with barbecues for outdoor cooking. Full access to all the resort amenities. The Westin's private ferry provides access to St. Thomas. Beautiful views, beach, workout room and much more.
(see pictures) (email owner)

Call me crazy, but this is a good deal, right? And, wouldn't it have the added benefit of having DavidnRobin as tour guides?

If only I had liquidated my stock portfolio a year ago .....

Let's vote on who would make the best neighbor for DnR?

Nodge -- entertainment value
SDKath -- medical emergency
GrayFal -- finds best liquor store bargains

Good price, but no where near what I bought my studios.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
stop on by... maybe that hidden rum will still be around...

we just made our flights
SFO-ATL-STT Delta - $900RT pp
(no AA ;) )

good enuff...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wsj 2009 Maintenance Fee's Through The Roof!!!

Folks,

I'm new to this forum and am glad to hear others are as outraged by the 2009increase as I am. The breakdown of the expenses for my one bedroom unit is as follows:

-Housekeeping & Unit Amenities- $305.55/Week - The room is cleaned up at the start of the week and they "tidy up" once during the week.
-Repairs and maintenance - $220.49/Week- ???
-Utilities, Telephone, Cable, Internet - $377.44/Week - ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!
-Administration - $193.35/Week - Administer What?? Maintenance Fee Increases!!
-Activities/Security - $98.71/Week
-Fixed Other Expenses- $258.77/Week - WHAT OTHER EXPENSES COULD THERE POSSIBLY BE??
-Reserve for Bad Debt/Insurance - $70.03/Week
Replacement Reserve - $692.12/Week - That's over $35K/Year!!!!

Total- $2216.48/Week minus $232.87 "Developer Contribution Which They Say Will Eventually Be Eliminated"

These costs are out of control. I've been an owner since 1999 when our yearly fees were $450.00. As owners, what recourse do we have to keep these costs down?? I think that there needs to be an audit. This is getting out of hand.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Welcome to TUG! :hi:

We have another thread specifically about issues at WSJ where you can read other owner's posts, so I'm going to move your post to that thread.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Folks,

DeniseM - move this one also - and feel free to delete the suggestion not to post ARDA and SVN fees.

I'm new to this forum and am glad to hear others are as outraged by the 2009increase as I am. The breakdown of the expenses for my one bedroom unit is as follows:

-Housekeeping & Unit Amenities- $305.55/Week - The room is cleaned up at the start of the week and they "tidy up" once during the week.
-Repairs and maintenance - $220.49/Week- ???
-Utilities, Telephone, Cable, Internet - $377.44/Week - ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!
-Administration - $193.35/Week - Administer What?? Maintenance Fee Increases!!
-Activities/Security - $98.71/Week
-Fixed Other Expenses- $258.77/Week - WHAT OTHER EXPENSES COULD THERE POSSIBLY BE??
-Reserve for Bad Debt/Insurance - $70.03/Week
Replacement Reserve - $692.12/Week - That's over $35K/Year!!!!

Total- $2216.48/Week minus $232.87 "Developer Contribution Which They Say Will Eventually Be Eliminated"

These costs are out of control. I've been an owner since 1999 when our yearly fees were $450.00. As owners, what recourse do we have to keep these costs down?? I think that there needs to be an audit. This is getting out of hand.

I hear and feel your pain - as we own 2 weeks.
There is a WSJ thread which (when I get a chance) will be expanded upon this issue. But, it is very difficult to get accountability or 'true' Owner representation at SVO Resorts (not just WSJ). WKORV and now WPORV also have out of control increases (avg. >10% per year for 3 years).

I started a campaign to do something about the recent maintenance issues which got their attention - this would be a larger undertaking that likely could only get resolved by a lawsuit.

Reaction score
We own two weeks as well. I feel a little better for having vented. I contacted SVO HOA and they basically said most costs are out of their hands and that the rise is lower than the rate of inflation. It seems to me that the new GM hasn't done a very good job in keeeping costs down. My fees increased by $800/Week this year. I'd like to hear more about the campaign that you mentioned.....

Thanks,
MPG

Last edited:

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question for all of you WSJ owners...

I definitely agree that the Staroptions that WSJ owners are given for trading within SVN are not enough. The biggest reason WSJ is so hard to trade into is because there is not enough incentive to do so. How many Staroptions do you all think those units are REALLY worth?

Example - If a 2br in shoulder season at WSJ is worth 95,700 SO's, would someone who is an owner there consider trading it if it were worth 148,100 SO's? Would it be worth it at that point? If not, what would a fair amount of SO's be?

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a new owner, so perhaps the novelty will wear off in the future .... but, for now, I wouldn't trade mine for any amount of SOs. I'm lucky in that I can finally travel during non-school holidays and, as such, can get all of the other Starwoods with inexpensive traders (Harborside is a still a little difficult, getting easier in this economy, but I own there too so have my "fix" locked in). I'm a believer in the "buy where you want to go" for my top 2-3 weeks, but definitely benefit from traders that provide for nice, inexpensive trading opportunites.

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question for all of you WSJ owners...

I definitely agree that the Staroptions that WSJ owners are given for trading within SVN are not enough. The biggest reason WSJ is so hard to trade into is because there is not enough incentive to do so. How many Staroptions do you all think those units are REALLY worth?

Example - If a 2br in shoulder season at WSJ is worth 95,700 SO's, would someone who is an owner there consider trading it if it were worth 148,100 SO's? Would it be worth it at that point? If not, what would a fair amount of SO's be?

Josh,

Difficulty trading into WSJ really has nothing to do with SO/SP value incentive. The difficulty is comprised of a few reasons. 1.) The original phase was sold almost exclusively as fixed unit/fixed week and fractional (1/12) ownerships and many owners plan an annual vacation during their purchased week. It is even difficult for WSJ owners to trade their week at 12 months out. 2.) There is a thriving rental market for these units that sometimes far exceeds the MF's. There are agents there that specialize in rentals and resales of WSJ weeks. 3.) Everyone was guessing/hoping that the addition of the Bay Vista phase would open up trading. Almost at its opening, WSJ launched into interior refurbishments of VG, then starting this year, new major refurbishments of kitches/baths etc. (which we're paying dearly for). The displaced VG owners are being put into BV leaving trades into BV almost impossible as well because they're full of VG owners.

I purchased WSJ because I don't usually plan my vacations in a way that I am on the phone at 6am at exactly 8 months out. After calling probably 50 times hoping something would open up, I just made the plunge. I like the week I purchased, and I'm not unhappy with the SO's. The SP conversion is ridiculous, but I don't care. I have no intention of ever using either.

-tim

Joshadelic

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you mean that even if a 1br hurricane season WSJ owner could trade into a 2br in Hawaii, that wouldn't be enough of an incentive to trade that week through SVN? I'm just trying to figure out under what circumstances a Staroption trade would be attractive to a WSJ owner.

joeamyaloha

Reaction score
Trying to reserve WSJ - "developer inventory"

Is anyone aware of "developer inventory." I am trying to reserve WSJ in Oct. 09. Being told there are no units available, yet I can go onto spg.com and reserve a 2 bedroom villa for $1,150 a night. When we purchased it was my understanding that there were no restrictions or blackout dates. This was a big selling point to being in the Starwood family. So, if there are units available to the general public but not an owner this is very discouraging. Talking with the Westin Owners reservation line I am being told that the units in the "developer inventory" are not open to owners. Anyone else experience this??

islandguy

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of "developer inventory." Talking with the Westin Owners reservation line I am being told that the units in the "developer inventory" are not open to owners. Anyone else experience this??

Developer inventory is a common practice in all timeshare companies. If a unit hasn't sold then the developer can do what he/she wants wtih that unit. Why give it away free to the other owners.

The slogan about being able to use your points without blackout refers to the hotel points and not the timeshare points.

Remember the developer pays maint fees on all unsold units -- so it's like you the owner of a 2 bdr at St. John renting it -- except the developer has a built in distribution system (i.e. spg.com) to rent his units and it is visible to you.

After you buy your unit you are of little value to the timeshare company -- they make money from the purchase and need to increase sales every year. Your maint money goes to the resort and the management company (which in some cases is SPG) but is nowhere near the profit level that new purchases are.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
joeamyaloha - welcome to TUG! :hi:

Westin St. John is a nearly impossible exchange. Most of the weeks are fixed and owners use them or rent them for big bucks. You might consider Harborside instead, which is slightly easier. To have the best shot at a WSJ exchange you need to call at exactly 8:59 a.m. ET, on Fri., Sat,. and Sun. for your desired dates and be persistent.

In addition to what Island Guy said, any week that are converted to Starpoints go into developer inventory, and the developer can do anything they want with them.

Last edited:

shanblom

Reaction score
Selling, renting...WSJ

We own a week in a one bedroom at WSJ and won't be able to go this year. We have considered selling, but I wanted to know how easy it would be to rent and how much could I expect to get? We are paid up for 2009 and I was considering selling, but if I could rent it for my maintenance fees (or close to it) I would just keep it.

I hope this is the correct spot to post this, if not, sorry.

I appreciate your advise.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You should have no probelm renting it for at least your MF, but if you sell it, you would probably lose at least 50% of the retail price, so I wouldn't sell it right now.

Besides the free TUG classifieds, I personally use the following cheap and free rental websites.

www.craigslist.org (free)

www.redweek.com

* Membership $14.99 for 12 Months
* Timeshare Rental Postings - $19.99/ea for 6 Months - $49.99/ea for 12 Months

www.myresortnetwork.com

$19.95 posting fee ($24.95 for a float week ad)

Last edited:

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other thing to know about being able to rent villas from SPG (hotel) specifically at WSJ is this. Starwood took four buildings from the hotel and converted them into the Bay Vista phase. Only two buildings have been transferred to SVO. The other two buildings are still "owned" by the hotel. Therefore, they have two buildings (fully built out into Villas) that eventually will be part of SVO that they currently rent through SPG. They have to sell a certain percentage of the two SVO buildings before the other two buildings are "sold/transferred" to SVO.

-tim

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
So you mean that even if a 1br hurricane season WSJ owner could trade into a 2br in Hawaii, that wouldn't be enough of an incentive to trade that week through SVN?

Yes, that what it means for me. I can use a much less expensive trader to get that 2-BR in Hawaii and therefore would never give up my WSJ for it. For me, it's a combination of preference and availability -- both of which could change in the future. I can only respond as to how I feel today and based on today's availability. Hope that makes sense -- I'm sure others feel differently.

Remember that the assignment of SOs/SPs associated with a particular resort/week/unit is decided by the same people who sell units for astronomical prices to unsuspecting tourists, create loyalty promotions like the Elite program and then remove benefits when they feel like it, change Elite requirements with zero notification, increase the number of SOs when sales are underwhelming (e.g., Lagunamar), remove benefits for resale buyers which clearly hurts those once valued clients who actually paid full retail prices, etc. Personally, I have the same opinion of StarOption/StarPoint values as I do of most of Starwood's practices. In other words, just because Starwood says your unit is worth X SOs/SPs, don't always believe it! :ignore:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Onto this topic - there is no black/white answer to what the SOs are worth, or the availability of units as a SVN exchange.

Is the SO allocation fair? I would say 'fair enough' now that they have been raised. I almost did use our 2009 week to do a SVN exchange until we picked up a 2nd week (adjacent to our week - same unit - same check-in day). After this decision to pick up a 2nd week - we were notified of a 50% increase (for 3 years) in MFs as a special assessment for an extensive refurbish (no vote - forced upon WSJ Owners) - this increase would have stopped me from using the SOs for a SVN exchange because they are now $2400 (vs. $1600) and that is too much to pay to feel good about a 1Bd exchange into HI. This increase would have essentially caused me to rent the unit to offset the MFs instead of a SVN exchange - since I would not pay $2400 to stay in a 1Bd in HI. Instead I cancelled our WKV stay and used that for a SVN exchange into a 1Bd at WKORV. That is a great value for WKV with low MFs - and I reason I believe WKV is the best value as a M resort goes.

So it is just not about the SO value - it is also about the MFs (which we were blind-sided with a 50% increase) - luckily it is just for 3 years -luckily we go with another couple that helps offset the cost. Be aware that the taxes are about to double and have not been billed since 2005 {double ouch} so this may also have impact on WSJ rental values.

The SO -SP conversion is just not worth it - 22K SP to convert our week???!!!! who in their right mind ever do that?

As to availability - in going thru the Recorders Office and Tax records (when it was free to do so) - I found tons of units owed by 2 groups with similar names - I mentioned them before (something like Westin Vacation Club) - that I assume to be a block of units owned by WSJ for the purposes of renting. Another thing I have commented on is that there seems to be plenty of empty units during our week 24 stay in our building AND people staying in the villas that were upgraded from the Hotel side. Given this - I would say that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to WSJ availability via SVN or outright renting from SVO-WSJ.

I do think SVN availability has opened up with BV opening - since there seem to be more reports of successful SVN exchanges (e.g. LisaRex getting a SVN exchange).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.