• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loriannf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Refurb details

Just received in today's mail a listing of planned refurbishments to the villas. Basically, it sounds as if they're replacing the carpet, painting, and replacing most of the furnishings. The letter indicates that the work should be completed between August 15 and November 28, 2008.

Kitchen and bath updates to be determined.

Lori

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
:banana: I just got a great piece of news from WSJ...

"Thank you for being a Starwood Vacation Owner and your interest in the quality of your villa, xxxx! It is with great pleasure to inform you that the living room furniture and drapes in your villa has been replaced. Please do not hesitate to inform us if we can be of assistance!"

A bit of overuse with the "!" - but we will take it after almost 3 years of requests...
I am so happy - I can barely stand it - happy dance...:banana:

Last edited:

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
:banana: I just got a great piece of news from WSJ...

"Thank you for being a Starwood Vacation Owner and your interest in the quality of your villa, xxxx! It is with great pleasure to inform you that the living room furniture and drapes in your villa has been replaced. Please do not hesitate to inform us if we can be of assistance!"

A bit of overuse with the "!" - but we will take it after almost 3 years of requests...
I am so happy - I can barely stand it - happy dance...:banana:

That's great. about time. assessment?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Gimme some LOVE Baby!!! :banana:

No assessment - this was part of the existing reserves (I assume) - this will be followed up by the refurbish described above of which we were charged additional reserves for 2008 resulting in a 15% increase in MFs.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The following (short-hand {w/ snide comments}) is in regards to the refurbish letter from the WSJ Association Management (somewhat in-line with the couch/draperie replacement)

2/15/08
Assoc. Member,

We are pleased to make you aware of the latest project planned for the WSJ Resort and Villas. (goes on to give the history of refurbish vote that would have passed, but not enough Owners voted... {mainly because of extremely poor comunications on WSJ's part})

Since that time, with the billing of the 2007 MFs, the Assoc's reserves were funded to a level that would allow to begin the replacement of key items. Included in teh 2007 reserve replacement are sofas, occasional chair, living room drapery, and carpeting for the entire villas (attached). Some of these items have already been installed. {that would be our villa}

With the approval of the 2008 resort budget {15% increase}, we have accumulated enough funds in the reserves to move onto the next phase of replacments. The specific items are provided (attached). These replacements are scheduled to begin installation 8/15/08 with completion slated for 11/28/08.

We are currently working on the issues of upgrading the kitchens and bathrooms in the villas. We will communicate updates regarding these items in the future {based on history - 2015?}

With the 2 previous requests for your vote to approve a refurbishment, we understand there may be some confusion regarding the replacement schedule (no foolin'} and the specific items included. We hope this letter serves to provide clarity on what you may expect when you next visit WSJ.

Going forward, there is a plan to replace items on a regular basis in conjunction with the replacment reserve schedule. {blah, blah, blah...}

Sincerely
BOD
Virgin Grand Villas - STJ Condo Owners Assoc.

the attachements lists the items being replaced/evaluated for B32, B33, B34, and B41, B42 and #4415, and some limited items in B43, B44, and B31

For B32, B33, and B34 2Bd villas:
Kit - Barstools
DR - chandelier, Consule Cabinet, and Table&Chairs
LR - TV console, Bose Audio System, Chaise Lounge, Cocktail Table, Console Table, Draperies, End Tables, Lamps, LCD Flat Panel TV, Lounge Chair, Mirror, Sofa
MBR - Bench, Draperies, Dresser, Headboard, Lamps, LCD Flat Panel TV, Mirror, Nightstands
GBR - Draperies, Dresser, Headboard, lamps, LCD Flat Panel TV, Nightstands
Throughout - Artifacts, Artwork, carpet, Interior Paint

Last edited:

WINSLOW

TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ unit conditions

Still considering and searching WSJ resales. My question - Is there a list or does anyone know what units are refurnbished and which are still the old (in need of refurbishment) units? Should the ones in need of refurbishment be less money if size for size they are the same? Will the older ones end up with a special accessment fee? Does it make a difference when purchasing, as in all units will end up getting done over eventually? Thanks for any help

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We have an on-going discussion about that and I am going to move your post to that thread.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Still considering and searching WSJ resales. My question - Is there a list or does anyone know what units are refurnbished and which are still the old (in need of refurbishment) units? Should the ones in need of refurbishment be less money if size for size they are the same? Will the older ones end up with a special accessment fee? Does it make a difference when purchasing, as in all units will end up getting done over eventually? Thanks for any help

The buildings listed above are the 'old' style units, therefore, the other ones are the 'new' style (Westin). It would seem reasonable that the new ones may be a bit more than the old ones on teh resale market (maybe), but prices are so variable that it will likely be case-by-case. No special assessment is being done to refurbish as listed above (they increased the MFs for all to add reserves). I suspect there will always be a 'new' and 'old' style since a total refurbish of the old style would involve a special assessment and based on history this is unlikely to happen since it would need a majority vote with a majority of owners.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I went to make our 2009 WKV reservation this morning - and lo and behold - we were able to reserve our WSJ unit for June 2009 - that is 15 months ahead of time! The reservation person just went ahead and did it - I didn't even ask.

NED

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been that way for several years. Our week is in May so I always try to call ahead. It's easier for me to remember that way.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It has been that way for several years. Our week is in May so I always try to call ahead. It's easier for me to remember that way.

Yes - I have understood it to be from 10-14 months in advance (we generally reserve in April at 14 months prior), but 15 months(?) is even outside the OM for fixed weeks.

MINNESOTA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Refurbishment

DavidnRobin,
Your response to a Redweek listing I had posted at The Westin St. John in January is how I found out about TUG. My wife and I went to The Westin during week 4 and expected to see new carpet, draperies, and livingroom furniture. We were told that this was the plan for 2007. We have a couch, 2 chairs and new draperies in the livingroom only. We were rather disappointed because we expected more improvments on the interior, although we did have new patio furniture.
This unit really needs the complete refurbishment that was voted on. The kitchen is the worst part of the unit and with the proposal in place for this year, kitchens and baths are not included. For example the counter top is chipped and coming loose in the middle. It has a Almond ref., white range, black microwave, broken tile,mauve formica cabinets and countertops. Not 5 star rated. I'm a home builder myself and the proposal the HOA has is backwards. Normally in construction you would'nt paint and recarpet first and then later change tile, cabinets, countertops, interior doors and trim. This would result in some drywall work, painting again, carpet issues not only with cutoff points but also the dirt and mess on new carpet.
The HOA needs to change their plan or vote again and get this refurbishment done right.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
DavidnRobin,
Your response to a Redweek listing I had posted at The Westin St. John in January is how I found out about TUG. My wife and I went to The Westin during week 4 and expected to see new carpet, draperies, and livingroom furniture. We were told that this was the plan for 2007. We have a couch, 2 chairs and new draperies in the livingroom only. We were rather disappointed because we expected more improvments on the interior, although we did have new patio furniture.
This unit really needs the complete refurbishment that was voted on. The kitchen is the worst part of the unit and with the proposal in place for this year, kitchens and baths are not included. For example the counter top is chipped and coming loose in the middle. It has a Almond ref., white range, black microwave, broken tile,mauve formica cabinets and countertops. Not 5 star rated. I'm a home builder myself and the proposal the HOA has is backwards. Normally in construction you would'nt paint and recarpet first and then later change tile, cabinets, countertops, interior doors and trim. This would result in some drywall work, painting again, carpet issues not only with cutoff points but also the dirt and mess on new carpet.
The HOA needs to change their plan or vote again and get this refurbishment done right.

Welcome to TUG - you will find this forum to be an invaluable source of infomation.

Have you read what was written above?

The refurbish vote was unsuccessful - WSJ did a lousy (LOUSY! if SVO is reading...) job of getting the proxies out to Owners in time and unlike had the correct addresses for many owners (I got the proxy for the Week 23 Owner... more later...

OK - back -

You should have received a letter from the HOA at WSJ (VG) - in that letter - which a described above - they discuss what will be changed and what won't. This is not the total refurbish as attempted by vote (that failed) - this is only a partial refurbish based on what they call their standard wear-n-tear usage (paraphrased...).

Unfortunately - I think it is unlikely that the HOA wil attempt another vote since they are using some monies to make general improvements as needed. th eoriginal vote would have led to a large special assessment that would have been a total makover of the old units. Now, just a partial makeover.

Sorry to hear about the condition of your unit - our is not as bad - although our visit is not until this June. We had already been complaining about the condition of the LR area (especially the couch) for about 3 years - that looks like they have changed. I do agree with you that some of this refurbish seems backwards. I do not see a resolution in the short-term since this has all been approved. The approval process is like a small dictorship in that there is really no feedback prior to setting things into action (or voice of reason). Unfortunately - the total refurbish vote did not go through - considering that the Owners who voted were in favor - however, not enough Owners chimed in. From what I have observed this was either because of stupidity on the HOA's part, or downright intended.

I do not think they are planning to make the changes you described - those were part of the total refurbish - not the partial one they are doing.

Last edited:

bfkc

TUG Member
Reaction score
early reservations secret?

A couple of you have mentioned that you were able to book your reservations more the 12 months ahead of time. Was there any trick to it?

I've called every morning for about a week now and been told each time I was only allowed to book 12 months ahead of time.

Please share your secret!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
A couple of you have mentioned that you were able to book your reservations more the 12 months ahead of time. Was there any trick to it?

I've called every morning for about a week now and been told each time I was only allowed to book 12 months ahead of time.

Please share your secret!

No trick - they initiate it when I call in for reserving our other weeks (non-WSJ).

Do you own a fixed week in the VG section of WSJ? If so, you should be able ro reserve from 10-14 months out. If not, then this does not hold.

bfkc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fixed week in BV for me (1st stay there coming next month) - guess I'll vae to wait for the 12 month "window" to open.

Thanks anyway!

bfkc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry- meant to say FLOATING week in BV

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The beyond 12 month reservation is for fixed units.
Make sure you fill out the SVO Ownership poll.

bfkc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin Ferry Owner Discount?

Hi all

I seem to recall someone posting that WSJ owners get a discounted rate on the Westin Ferry. Does anyone have more information on this?

Thanks

Brian

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi all

I seem to recall someone posting that WSJ owners get a discounted rate on the Westin Ferry. Does anyone have more information on this?

Thanks

Brian

Yes, WSJ Owners get a discount - it is around 20% off. For the 2008 cost - you should contact WSJ. Unless someone here has it...?

MINNESOTA

TUG Member
Reaction score
Westin Ferry

We just returned from St. John in February. The current rate for the Westin ferry is: Adults 95.00 non-owner 85.00 owner
Children 80.00 non-owner 70.00 owner

MINNESOTA

pointsjunkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
the new staroption chart has come out for 2009 and wsj has been adjusted just like they said it would be. both sections have been readjusted. so now all you wsj owners start trading within the SVN so we can have a chance to visit wsj.
there are no more excuses!!!!

you all must be so happy.

the chart does not include svr fountains section os vistana beach club. i wonder what's going on with that?

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice, even the studios got a little bump up!

FYI...I won't be able to use my studios until 2010 or 2011. So I guess I'll be doing my part to allow others to trade into WSJ.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We just returned from St. John in February. The current rate for the Westin ferry is: Adults 95.00 non-owner 85.00 owner
Children 80.00 non-owner 70.00 owner

MINNESOTA

Thanks for the update - that is $15pp more for Owners than last year.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the info that was included with my resevations .I'm wondering if these prices on my reservation are still good or are they going to hit me with the increase. ........ The Westin St. John Resort & Villas offers round-trip transfers to and from the resort and airport via their private ferry. As a valued owner, you will receive a discounted rate of $60/adult and $50/childm which entitles you to unlimited ferry trips during your stay at The Westin St. John Resort & Villas. After gathering your luggage, proceed to the reception desk for The Westin St. John Resort in the airport. The staff at the airport will greet you, assist with luggage, and arrange a private taxi to take you to Crown Bay Marina. Our private ferry will pick you up there for the 45-minute ride directly to the resort dock. The taxi and ferry run on a set schedule coordinated around primary flight times. After booking your flight, please contact Owner Services to book your transfers on The Westin St. John ferry.

Status
Not open for further replies.