TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by DavidnRobin, Dec 1, 2017.

1. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    12-bottle styrofoam cardboard container - individually bagged.
    37 pounds
    $30
    Delta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. NNerland

NNerland TUG Member

Great - Thanks. My thought too. I was trying to think of a way I could get them there without the styrofoam as to not add to garbage down there. I don't mind leaving cardboard to be recycled behind, but would want to not leave a giant mold behind for garbage. But your method was my first thought. We fly American, get free bags with our card; so we often don't worry about paying checked bag fees. But also a small 1 way investment!

3. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Great Time on Island Roots (Capt Jason Siska) at Lime Out VI (Floating Taco Bar) at Hansen Bay (Coral Bay)
    [​IMG]

LisaH, tperleberg and TravelTime like this.
  4. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Special visit by Baby Finn and Mama Jill at Salt Pond Beach with Papa Jason and the Island Roots Charter gang.
    Another great trip circumventing STJ!

[​IMG]

LisaH and TravelTime like this.
  5. farsighted99

farsighted99 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Nanea (Maui)
    Really? Excuse me, but WSJ is an amazing resort. I thought it was amazing and wonderful. Loved our room. Maybe you have to walk a bit, but even so, the resort is beautifully landscaped. The beach is wonderful. You sure you went to the same place I did??? Loved the iguanas and birds all over the place. And you can always jump on a golf cart for a ride... BTW, I own at Nanea in Maui (which ain't too shabby), but I prefer this place....

Caneel Bay won't be back for a long time; years probably. The place got destroyed and the lease was almost up. So don't count on going there any time soon. When I was there in March they were talking about how they haven't been able to renegotiate the lease with the current owners... and they won't be fixing it up for zillions of dollars to only stay with the property for a handful of years. So yeah, it has great beaches but no one wants to build there. Good luck with that! I went there years ago when it was owned by Rock Resorts; yeah it was nice. Also, I'm sure if they do get it back up one day, I probably won't be able to afford it.

BTW, here's the latest on the Caneel Bay ordeal: https://stjohnsource.com/2019/06/06/cbia-seeks-to-terminate-lease-for-caneel-bay-resort/

Says $100M needed to rebuilt resort; current lease owner wants the National Parks to give him $70M to get out of the lease... doesn't sound like it will be resolved soon...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    NerdAlert likes this.
  6. ccy

ccy Guest

Has anybody brought beach chairs in their luggage to STJ? Thinking of doing so ...

7. schafercpa

schafercpa Guest

Absoulutely, all the time.
    Two Tommy Bahama Costco chairs bound together with plastic ties. I have free 1st bags for all in my party with Delta Amex. ( you do not need to put tickets or use the delta card on airline. Just show up at airport with your group and fly together).
    My chairs are well traveled making this trip many times and survive without damage. People stare at us when they come out on the carousel in luggage claim.
    If serious beach bum, there is no other way.
    Go for it...................

8. ccy

ccy Guest

Thanks for the reply! I have free 1st bag with United. I'm thinking of sticking 2 TB chairs in a suitcase if it fits lol. My daughter and I will be beaching for 5 days and don't want to rent at $10/day. Might even bring a sunshade :)

9. ocdb8r

ocdb8r TUG Member

So, I'e been seriously thinking about designing some sort of "package" that allows me to combine 2 Tommy Bahama Costco chairs, a matching TB umbrella (or two) and my two spring float recliners into a single unit for checking on an airplane. It would go on every Timeshare/Cruise trip with me! Perhaps zip-ties is the answer....but I was originally thinking something that would be contained with a handle (easy to check and easy to lug around). Perhaps ziptie everything into a package and then get someone to sew a "cover" for the whole thing.

10. NNerland

NNerland TUG Member

Our family bought 6 chairs one year when we were there as it was cheaper than renting. We have returned with the chairs 2 times now. We too have a free bag with AA and our travel has been done by laying them flat on a tarp. We then fold the tarp over, like wrapping a present, and tape. We tape our names to them, like a shipping label. This is a great way to then take them back with us easily. We also throw in some life jackets for the kids. The size meets the regular checked bag policies and is super easy and cheap. We throw in some tape to make the return trip home.

The hardware store on St John, where we bought the chairs gave us this idea. It has worked wonderfully.

We take the St John Westin shuttle and boat, so the way we look at all of our bags is once we check at the airport, we don't touch our bags until we return home. Makes these extra bags all worth while.

We also do a food suitcase for snacks we know our kids want. This year we plan on packing a wine box for a one way journey. We manage to pack our clothes in carry one, so we can use our checked bags for this very purpose.

alexadeparis likes this.
  11. ccy

ccy Guest

I love the idea!!! I checked Amazon for tarp shipping bags and nope they don't have any

12. NNerland

NNerland TUG Member

We don't use a tarp shipping bag - we use a basic 8x8 or something like that tarp. Then use it like wrapping paper. Very simple. It isn't a bag or anything; just a simple square tarp. Very cheap and easy to pack safely. Sorry if I implied a bag - it is just a plain tarp. And an idea we got from the Hardware store when trying to figure out how to get 6 chairs home.
    Just be sure your final "package wrap" matches airline guidelines for luggage, so not to be oversized.

Wrapping them in a tarp allows you to protect them from damage when tossed around by airlines.

13. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

How did you manage to ship all these bottles from mainland? LOL.
    Could you do me a favor by taking a look of #3428 to see if it's finished?

14. LisaH

Saw this picture on Facebook posted by Jason. I was wondering if you were in it...:) We will be there in Aug and will contact him. Hope his business stays strong.

15. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    2 days left and we have 2 bottles of white remaining - perfect
    The wine shipping details are above.

Looks like 3428 is occupied.

LisaH likes this.
  16. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Yep - that was us. If you want Jason - you will need to check. He is also working for STJ Fire and Rescue. His new boat is nice - smoother and larger. The mangroves in Hurricane Hole are devastated.

His baby boy is adorable - big fat thighs. It was nice of Jill to carry Baby Finn down from their place at Kiddel Bay.
    They just completed their house and have been essentially living in an Eco tent for months. I cannot imagine doing that w/o AC and with a baby.

LisaH likes this.
  17. Andy Cross

Andy Cross Guest

Is there a way to tell when booking a 3bdr if it is a pool villa or not, or are those impossible to book?

18. sachia007

sachia007 TUG Member

Love this pic.... wish I were there!!!!

19. sachia007

sachia007 TUG Member

My husband bought 2 beach chairs, and the cool thing about them is that they collapse like the camp chairs (they have shorter legs). He bought them on Amazon and also bought a beach tent and a zip bag (with wheels and a retractable handle) to put it all in. This Feb. was our first time traveling with it (in all the years we've been to STJ) and it was well worth the checked bag cost!!!!

20. SandyPGravel

SandyPGravel Guest

Probably hard to get. First reason being those are fixed week, fixed unit. The SO values for the weeks are slightly different for certain weeks. For example the amount required for weeks 16-18 are 196,900, not 257,000. Weeks that don't overlap the same seasons would be the only way I can see.

21. Helios

Helios TUG Member

It is possible, but just for a couple of weeks of the year when the seasons don't line up. You can tell because of the different amount of points the unit requires. Getting one is possible, but it is very hard. The easiest way to do it, IMO, is probably by getting one last minute. That, of course, is very risky and you may want to consider this as plan b while holding another reservation. I know it can be done because I did it before I got my two Pool Villas.

22. ksqdomer

ksqdomer Guest

:hi:
    hey arriving on 6/21 building 33. got any beach chairs for me??;):banana:

23. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    I left a TB chair at bottom of stairs below B34 (staircase next to pool).
    If you meet Eric and Carol - in 2Bd TH in B33 closest to pool (1st floor) - they also have some.

24. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Did you get TB chair from under B34?

25. LisaH

What happened to the storage shack? We used to take and deposit beach chairs, floats and other supplies there.