TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by DavidnRobin, Dec 1, 2017.

1. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    No and No.

If you are trying to get to Honeymoon beach - you can walk from Lind Point, or take the dingy shuttle from Cruz Bay ($5pp) in front of High Tide.

Caneel is closed - and will be for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. Theodore Borromeo

Theodore Borromeo Guest

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV
    Vistana claims I did not call to bank my 2018 WSJ to Star Options with extended usage period, and that they just converted them to Interval International. This is clearly wrong as I recall calling it in when Vistana extended that offer last year. Anyone else have this experience or have advice for me? I have never used Interval, but more importantly, that has a 2020 usage deadline, not 2021 as with the Star Options. TIA.

3. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    When you bank StarOptions, you receive an email confirming the transaction. Did you receive such email?

Additionally, you would be able to immediately see the banked StarOptions on your Vistana Dashboard. Did they ever appear?

4. Theodore Borromeo

Theodore Borromeo Guest

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV
    The star options did show up on my dashboard and the rep said if I banked then they would not have appeared. I don’t understand that. Will look for email.

5. controller1

controller1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin KORVN OF
    Westin Nanea OF
    Westin FLEX
    The banked StarOptions would be shown on the bottom line of the reconciliation of the StarOptions shown at the top of the Dashboard page. Click on the StarOptions at the top of the Dashboard page and the reconciliation pops up for the current year and three years forward.

6. CKTobin

CKTobin TUG Member

My first post as a new TUG user! As a WSJ owner who normally uses my annual week, I have a lot to learn about renting my unit. I have had good success with STJOHNCONDOS.COM in the past, but less so in 2016 and 2017. I have a classified ad in the TUG2 board for my week 17 this year; no interest yet.

Does anyone have other ideas to advertise? Is AirBNB an option (or are WSJ rentals being hurt by other AirBNB competition?)

Open to advice and ideas from the experienced TUG community!

>JP

DavidnRobin and bonsai27 like this.
  7. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, Westin, Hyatt, DVC, Four Seasons
    You can go to some of the Caneel Bay beaches even without Caneel Bay property access. There is one that is easy to access but I can’t remember the name. Maybe someone else knows.

8. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MVC, Westin, Hyatt, DVC, Four Seasons
    I am interested in reading reports from anyone who has visited WSJ since it opened. We decided to cancel our WSJ exchange into WSJ and sail the BVIs for a week, followed by a stay at Ritz Carlton Residence Club in St Thomas. I hope to take the ferry over to St John and see WSJ. I have been on the fence about purchasing there. I have an owner who is interested in selling me a week 50 in a 3 BR pool villa at a fair price as well as giving me week 50 in 2019 wo reimbursement. But I am not sure if I will love it there since I will compare it to our stay at Caneel Bay a few years ago. Even though we stayed in a hotel room in Caneel Bay, it was ocean view and about 100 ft from the beach. That trip was one of the favorites of my life. I fell in love with St John but I think it was the location on St John and the 7 beaches that I fell in love with.

9. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    All beaches are accessible from the water - including Caneel beaches. You can get to Honeymoon and Salomon beaches via Lind Trail (not Caneel). Otherwise - there is no walkable beaches thru Caneel as Caneel is closed. You can do it, but it would be considered Trespassing.

You can swim/walk from Little Hawksnest to the beach that is on backside of Caneel.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    TravelTime likes this.
  10. OCsun

OCsun TUG Member

Thanks for the heads up on taking a dingy from Cruz Bay to Honeymoon Beach. We are looking forward to our week 16 on St. John this year, especially after missing out last year. The only downside this year is not staying in our villa.

I feel blessed that we were able to start a family tradition back in 2003, when we bought Unit 4111 week 16. We watched the grand kids grow up using our three bedroom pool villa as their home away from home. Everyone loved our villa so much that taking the kids out of school to join us was worth all the homework they did while we were away. It really hits a place in my heart when the kids start talking about St. John and Unit 4111, like it's a beloved member of our family.

Three of the four grandkids will be in college next year making our annual week 16 family vacation a thing of the past, at least for four years. Sure, we will plan other get aways to enjoy each others company, but we will always hold our St John adventures warmly in our heart.

Sorry to go on and on but I just want to say that when I bought our timeshare I justified spending the money as a way to force us to take annual family vacations. Never did I imagine that we would fall in love with St John Unit 4111 week 16 and treat it like a family member we had to wait a whole year to see.

A warm thanks to all Tug members whom have helped make timesharing part of our life.

DavidnRobin, TravelTime and Theiggy like this.
  11. WizardOz

WizardOz Guest

I didn’t receive or see changes to the occupancy - but I was told today (when we checked in) that building 43 is not open yet and probably won’t be for months... we are beyond frustrated to say the least!

We were also told our studio in building 32 is not open yet as well.

12. SandyPGravel

SandyPGravel Guest

Unit in building 32 not ready? That's disconcerting I thought bldg 31 & 32 were open. I am hoping to be in our unit March 1st.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GrayFal likes this.
  13. alexadeparis

alexadeparis TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Points: Shell, Wyndham ODD, Starwood EVEN, Hilton EVEN, Hyatt ODD, Annual: WSJ, TPU
    Google is your friend

14. vistana101

vistana101 TUG Member

Sorry to hear that. How is your stay going/how does the resort look?

15. melclark1

melclark1 Guest

Just returned from WSJ and thought I’d share our perspective since many of you are wondering what’s going on there. All things considered the resort looks great! We were told there were still about 100 units not available. The resort seemed really empty. Very few people at the main pool the couple times we went. Still a lot of construction happening, but they seem to be working quickly to try to get all units open. We own in building 31 and I believe all of those villas are open. Building 32 was not open when we got there, but my husband talked to the foreman from Vistana and he said they were working feverishly to have most of those units open by Monday. Our unit had new furniture, appliances, and carpet. Just FYI for those that like to cook during your stay like we do...the kitchen is sparse. We made do, but it’s not fully stocked the way it used to be. No colander, measuring cups, baking sheets, just to name a few. I’m sure that will get better with time. Snorkels is the only place to eat at the resort. We arrived late on the first day and had dinner there and it was terrible. On our last morning we had breakfast and that was really good.

As for the rest of the island it is remarkable the recovery. The beaches were beautiful, the foliage is coming back in most places, and the shops and restaurants appear to be in full swing. We ate at High Tide for breakfast, Miss Lucy’s for lunch and The Longboard and The Sundog for dinner and they were all as great as always. The Starfish Market wasn’t very impressive with many items out of stock, but the grocery next to the Westin was fully stocked with everything we needed and a very nice selection of items. We saw quite a few donkeys which made us super happy! The road to Little Lameshur was definitely more of an adventure even more than usual, but that didn’t seem to stop people from making the trip. We were only able to see Caneel from one of the lookouts and it is so sad to see the devastation to such a beautiful resort.

I’m happy to answer any questions if I can. It was great to be back and it was really sad to leave to come home to the cold weather. I hope everyone heading there this year has a wonderful trip!

Oh and one last thing! In my opinion, it is not worth the cost of the Westin transfer. It leaves out of Red Hook now where the public ferry is located. If you don’t mind managing your own luggage it would save you a ton of money to just take a public taxi or even a private taxi to/from Red Hook and the public ferry. We are a family of 4 and the savings is substantial.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    TravelTime, OCsun, vistana101 and 3 others like this.
  16. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Thanks for the update.
    Photos of the villa would be great?
    Do you know how to post them?
    Not hard depending on their source.

Was there ever a colander or baking sheets? (I’ll let Robin know...).
    Was the new ferry (non-Westin) running from Crown Bay Harbor running?
    Any work on B33-34?
    Carpet? Our floors were tile. Did they go back to carpet?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  17. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Sorry for late response. I don’t think AirBnB is an option. I don’t think STJCONDOS gets that many hits.
    Try RedWeek.com - I rent WKV and WKORV with good success.
    It comes down to price and advertising (views).
    Many WSJ Owners rent for MFs (or did so in past).

18. CKTobin

CKTobin TUG Member

Appreciate the response, David. I will try RedWeek.

Question on your last like "Many WSJ Owners rent for MFs". Can you enlighten me on the MF abbreviation? Thanks

>JP

19. Bill4728

Bill4728 Moderator

MF is maintenance fees

20. GrayFal

GrayFal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Bluegreen WYN WestinStJohn VGV, SB & CV SVV Morritt's Seaside
    FYI, high season owners 51,52,1-15 ish get 1.5 to 2x maint fee for rentals.
    Also recommend Redweek

21. GrayFal

GrayFal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    http://newsofstjohn.com/2019/01/07/new-ferry-service-between-st-john-and-st-thomas/

Running every day
    $20 per person

The new ferry, operated by Inter Island Boat Services, leaves Crown Bay daily at 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. It leaves Cruz Bay daily at 11 a.m. and 4:15 p.m. This ferry does not leave where the regular ferries leave. The Inter Island ferry leaves from the Creek, which is beside the old customs’ building and the Virgin Islands Visitor Center. It’s the ferry that has the yellow sun-like image on it.

The cost of this new ferry is $20 per person. Bags cost $5. The trip takes roughly 35 minutes. And once you arrive at Crown Bay, you can expect to pay about $5 for the five-minute taxi ride to the airport.

Please call 340-776-6597 or 340-201-6311 for more information or to reserve our spot.

http://www.interislandboatservices.com/

DavidnRobin likes this.
  22. SandyPGravel

SandyPGravel Guest

Yes

DavidnRobin likes this.
  23. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    As well as those in high season (Plat+), but for us less fortunate owners recovery of cost is a positive outcome.

This is an issue with having ‘seasons’(old school SVO), and the HomeOptions and Flex systems are a result.
    WSJ-VGV is a prime example.
    and WKV...
    etc.

24. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    I recall this - but some have tried and business never lasted.

This would be an excellent route.

GrayFal likes this.
  25. GrayFal

GrayFal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I feel that I read someplace (Facebook group?) that it is the old Westin Ferry? As Westin now has a fancy new one.

Edit. No, doesn’t seem to be the same ferry. There were 250 replies to wade thru

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019