• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Tom,

I can't remember... do you rent your car on STT or STJ? Any news on car ferries and how packed they are?

We will be there in Feb. and we are still planning on renting on STT and bring over... hope it's a good idea!!!

+1 We're there the first week of March though. (I have our vehicle reserved through Amalie, but will cancel if I need to.)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We have rented on STT (Amalie) for years, but we will probably rent in STJ this June. The Local Folk need the car barges for transport of building materials (etc), and could use the support more locally. Although Amalie/Barge makes it so easy.
Hi Jenn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We
Tom,

I can't remember... do you rent your car on STT or STJ? Any news on car ferries and how packed they are?

We will be there in Feb. and we are still planning on renting on STT and bring over... hope it's a good idea!!!

We rented on St John this time because of the unreliable ferry schedule. Ferries were packed from what I saw. All the rental agencies have brand new cars.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The USVI increased the allotment of Rental Vehicles for STJ before H.Irma.
That is why there are so many new looking ones.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
NOTE TO VGV OWNERS
We are about to be hit with a 5.6% MF hike
(regardless how much time span is used for comparison).
Add in the BS $25/day ‘environmental fee’ and that we pay our USVI Property Taxes separately - surprised that there are not more delinquencies. Although I suspect it will increase dramatically (especially for low season villas) for 2019.

It is true that MFs have stayed relatively flat since 2012 (but they skyrocketed before that...)
I think (still) that the disproportionate cost for VGV in regards to the entire resort (based on changing # of doors) is UNFAIR!
Especially when the FlatLanders have been up using our pool areas when they do not pay for VGV pool areas between 31-32 and 33-34 - only VGV owners do.

I just re-read the HOA letter and it says 2.8% per year for the next 2 years. Most hotel branded timeshare MFs are increasing 2-5%+ in 2019. As an aside, Disney is increasing by a lot more than that. I got confused when I first read your post and I thought you meant 5.6% in 2019. This increase is a lot given than WSJ already has high MFs, but not nearly as bad as if they were doing 5.6% in one year. This actually changes my opinion on some of my prior posts about WSJ.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The USVI increased the allotment of Rental Vehicles for STJ before H.Irma.
That is why there are so many new looking ones.

I also suspect that many of the ones that they already had were destroyed or damaged beyond repair.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just re-read the HOA letter and it says 2.8% per year for the next 2 years. Most hotel branded timeshare MFs are increasing 2-5%+ in 2019. As an aside, Disney is increasing by a lot more than that. I got confused when I first read your post and I thought you meant 5.6% in 2019. This increase is a lot given than WSJ already has high MFs, but not nearly as bad as if they were doing 5.6% in one year. This actually changes my opinion on some of my prior posts about WSJ.

Perhaps you should take time to look over VGV MF history. And Refurbushing costs. And USVI Fee. And PropTax...
And unfair division of WSJ (entire) resort costs...

Since Bob/Phil came aboard - MFs have been flat (since 2012 iirc). That 2.8%/yr x 2 years (5.6%) is projected - I was just letting Owners to prepare for a 5.6% increase (at a minimum... IMO).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I also suspect that many of the ones that they already had were destroyed or damaged beyond repair.

True - the large availability may also be due to lack of visitors. I wonder how many were flood damaged. I haven’t read anything about how rental fleets held up.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
One thing I did like about renting on STJ is we were allowed to park on their lot when in town. Parking is such the premium.

That would be nice - so much parking has been taken away over the years.
My first experience with renting on STJ (2006) was not good - one reason we went with AmalieCar.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Perhaps you should take time to look over VGV MF history. And Refurbushing costs. And USVI Fee. And PropTax...
And unfair division of WSJ (entire) resort costs...

Since Bob/Phil came aboard - MFs have been flat (since 2012 iirc). That 2.8%/yr x 2 years (5.6%) is projected - I was just letting Owners to prepare for a 5.6% increase (at a minimum... IMO).

I know WSJ esp VGV is expensive. I have been trying to keep up with as much as possible to decide if I want to own there or just take what I can get with StarOptions. I saw a week I like in B33 but it is a low season annual week that does not come with a lot of SOs relative to the MFs. I already have that same week reserved with SOs for next year so I will wait and see.

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those renting at Amalie, what is the benefit over booking at airport? Do they pick you up at airport and drop you off after your rental period?
Is it the Budget in Amalie that we're talking about?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
For those renting at Amalie, what is the benefit over booking at airport? Do they pick you up at airport and drop you off after your rental period?
Is it the Budget in Amalie that we're talking about?

AmalieCar rents space at the first Hotel (Emerald something? very close - walkable) down the road - they pick you up at STT Luggage area (they know your flight # therefore they know when you land...) - they usually take the Driver down to Lot (while others wait for Luggage (and buy cheap alcohol, or have free rum shots) - and you go from there. That involves swinging back to STT to pick up others/luggage - but it is close - so less hassle than transferring at STT.

Never used Budget - Budget is on-site. AmalieCar fleet are always new.

Last edited:

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Just to add to previous post, I have heard lately that Budget never has enough cars, even if you reserve in advance. When I was in St. Thomas this summer I rented a Jeep from L&L Jeep. They were great, picked us up from airport and dropped us there. You can take their jeeps to STJ too.