• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just received the 2019 WSJ-VGV proposed budget of operating expenses.
For our 2Bd TH - MFs went up by ~$10 based on the 2018 proposed budget before H.Irma/H.Maria.

Studio: $1464
1Bd: $1952
2Bd TH: $2440
2Bd Prem: $2928
3Bd Pool: $2928

Also lists VSN fee as $145 (single-week) and $195 (multiple-week)

Note: WSJ-VGV MFs have remained relative flat since 2012 ($2490). The 3 years before that were even higher (due to increase in RRs).

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I just received the 2019 WSJ-VGV proposed budget of operating expenses.
For our 2Bd TH - MFs went up by ~$10 based on the 2018 proposed budget before H.Irma/H.Maria.

Studio: $1464
1Bd: $1952
2Bd TH: $2440
2Bd Prem: $2928
3Bd Pool: $2928

Also lists VSN fee as $145 (single-week) and $195 (multiple-week)

That’s great! Do you know how they kept the budget stable?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
That’s great! Do you know how they kept the budget stable?

I assume because VGV had coverage for the deductible associated with the Hurricane Insurance policy.
iirc - the deductible was $5M

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Yuck, the reception desk by the ferry dock. That's going to suck when you arrive by any other means than the Westin Ferry. Drive into the main entrance then walk to the dock to check in after traveling for 12 hours.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Yuck, the reception desk by the ferry dock. That's going to suck when you arrive by any other means than the Westin Ferry. Drive into the main entrance then walk to the dock to check in after traveling for 12 hours.

Is it possible they are simply going to tear it down and then rebuild? The view down the slope, across the pool, and into the water was always a fabulous vantage point which makes a lot of sense for the main building. It doesn't make sense not to rebuild something there considering how difficult it is to new permit work on the island. Maybe another phase? :)

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Is it possible they are simply going to tear it down and then rebuild? The view down the slope, across the pool, and into the water was always a fabulous vantage point which makes a lot of sense for the main building. It doesn't make sense not to rebuild something there considering how difficult it is to new permit work on the island. Maybe another phase? :)

Maybe the plan will be for two reception areas...an auxiliary one for those arriving by ferry and one where it had always been. I agree about the vantage point of the reception area looking down over the resort. Plus the view from the second floor restaurant must have been amazing, although I never went up there myself.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I’m sure this all has 100% to do with the ferry business. If you can extract another $450 from a family of 4 round trip to make it more convenient to get to the airport why not?!?! The car barges seem to be a days event.

We have not seen any of these plans in the newsletter. Seems to be on the hush hush.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
How complicated is it to rent a car at the STT airport and take the car ferry to St John? It would save the expensive WSJ ferry fee especially if you are going to rent a car on St John anyway.

Does the WSJ ferry go directly from the airport to the WSJ dock?

If they do move the reception desk to the ferry dock, I would assume you could park your car by your room and leave your luggage there, then walk down to check in. Since many timeshare owner have a fixed unit, they will usually know what unit they are in before arrival. Yes, this is inconvenient but not totally a deal breaker unless I am in a super grouchy mood, which could happen after traveling for too long! Then watch out... :crash:

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
How complicated is it to rent a car at the STT airport and take the car ferry to St John? It would save the expensive WSJ ferry fee especially if you are going to rent a car on St John anyway.

Does the WSJ ferry go directly from the airport to the WSJ dock?

If they do move the reception desk to the ferry dock, I would assume you could park your car by your room and leave your luggage there, then walk down to check in. Since many timeshare owner have a fixed unit, they will usually know what unit they are in before arrival. Yes, this is inconvenient but not totally a deal breaker unless I am in a super grouchy mood, which could happen after traveling for too long! Then watch out... :crash:

You cannot first park by your Villa because you need the room key to get through the security gate across the road from the main resort. I would guess it is a good 1/2 mile or more from the hillside buildings to the ferry dock.(I'm not good at guessing that kind of thing.)

BBDad57

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Westin Kierland, Westin Coral Vista, Westin Sunset Bay
Progress is being made.....some changes to a few items on property. However on track and doing a nice job (IMO) navigating and protecting our interests.

September 2018

Dear Fellow Coral Vista Owner:

Your Board of Managers held its quarterly meeting in mid-September along with our annual budget workshop. We wanted to report to you on the meeting and update you on the progress of repairs and restoration of the Westin St. John resort, and especially on the Coral Vista units.

Much progress has been made on the entire resort, and the property is on schedule to reopen on January 4, 2019. We had a report from our General Manager, Sam Hugli, and from the team that is managing the construction work.

All of the buildings in Coral Vista and most of the other parts of the property are on schedule. Four of the Virgin Grand buildings need additional work and will be ready a few months after the opening. The old lobby is being torn down and the space is being converted into an open-air lounge area. There will be a lobby at the marina and an additional space in the area that had previously housed Bougainvilla, near the Westin Workout. The Spa and workout space are being restored as was previously. The Westin Family Kids’ Club is being rebuilt slightly smaller. There will be four tennis courts and one multi-purpose court for basketball and other activities.

The Marketplace is going to be moving back to its former location near the administrative offices and the Spa. Snorkels will be reopening on the beachfront and serving 3 meals and cocktails in January when the resort opens. Lemongrass will not be opening on January 4, but will be in operation later in the year. Many restaurants in town are up and running and their numbers and offerings are steadily increasing. The concierge desk can help you connect with local places.

Covered balconies have been added to the studio units in Coral Vista, which is a most welcome sight. Environmental consultants have been inspecting the units on a regular basis to make sure that our reconstructed units are environmentally safe for occupancy.

There is a new air-conditioned ferry that will run more often and service the resort from Red Hook. Luggage storage on the ferry will be covered. Air-conditioned minivans will help to transport you and your luggage from the airport to Red Hook. We heard about recovery efforts on both St. Thomas and St. John and, while things are not back to the way they were, much progress has been made.

Many owners have made their reservations for 2019. If you still have StarOptions available to use for 2018, please make sure you contact Owner Services at 888-986-9637 or 407-903-4635 before they expire. They will be happy to assist you.

You will hear from us in late November about the final budget and maintenance fees for 2019. Our team operated on a greatly reduced budget for 2018. We managed our reserve funds and had the money on hand to pay our share of the insurance deductible without having any additional assessment. Our goal is to rebuild our reserves so that when the next storm comes, we have the money to be able to continue to maintain and rebuild as we did in 2018. We know that insurance premiums for 2019 are greatly increasing over the levels from 2017. We also know that much of our mechanical systems and unit interiors will be brand new; therefore, we will be able to reset the life expectancy and replacement costs in our 2019 budget.

You were also able to use your 2018 StarOptions at other resorts at a reduced level of cost from 2017 – our maintenance fees were less this year. Our goal is to keep the maintenance fees at or below the 2017 level and to rebuild our reserve funds, especially our insurance deductible fund, as quickly as we can. You will receive more information on this in the next few months.

We cannot thank the Westin St. John team members who have worked on recovery and restoration for the past year enough for their efforts. We also want to thank the management group in Orlando for their leadership and tireless effort to help keep things moving. We have a very dedicated and hard working group of people who deserve all of our thanks for their efforts to bring Coral Vista back to us.

We will continue to update you as we get more information. We know that we are looking forward to 2019 and we are sure you are equally excited about returning to St. John. Please contact any of us if you have questions or suggestions.

Your owner-elected representatives,

David Futransky
david.coralvista@gmail.com

Nancy Gerding
nancy.coralvista@gmail.com

James Miller II
james.coralvista@gmail.com

Has anybody received a similar letter for Sunset Bay?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
You cannot first park by your Villa because you need the room key to get through the security gate across the road from the main resort. I would guess it is a good 1/2 mile or more from the hillside buildings to the ferry dock.(I'm not good at guessing that kind of thing.)

It appears that the entire reception and check in area is relocating to waterfront and at this point there will not be a secondary check in area up the hill. Will be interesting to see especially as WSJ looks to generate ferry business by making it so inconvenient to not use the ferry.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It sounds nice to have a new use for the old reception area but it would have been better perhaps to put the new lounge on the water rather than a reception area.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I just re read the association letter and it states the new ferry will operate from Red Hook.
One of the reasons we liked the Westin Ferry was because you didn’t have that long tedious ride to red hook and it was convenient for going into town.

What is the attraction now, are they going to be providing free AC shuttle service from red hook to Charlotte Amalie each time you go back and forth???

And if you arrive by taxi or car, where will the drop off area be to get all the way down by the dock?

They are trying their best to keep you on property!

ksqdomer

Reaction score
One of the comments with that article said there will be a secondary check in by the fitness area and that the marketplace is moving back their as well.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One of the comments with that article said there will be a secondary check in by the fitness area and that the marketplace is moving back their as well.

Is this the sentence that indicates there will be a secondary check-in: There will be a lobby at the marina and an additional space in the area that had previously housed Bougainvilla, near the Westin Workout.

It is a bit vaguely worded so it was not clear to me if this is what they meant.

Also, they mention that the Virgin Grand section is delayed and those owners will be assigned to other units until they open up. Does anyone know when those sections are scheduled to open? Are Virgin Grand owners being assigned to an equivalent size unit?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have s one bedroom two bath Virgin grand unit in February. I will let you know what unit is assigned.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Also, they mention that the Virgin Grand section is delayed and those owners will be assigned to other units until they open up. Does anyone know when those sections are scheduled to open? Are Virgin Grand owners being assigned to an equivalent size unit?

IIRC only 4 buildings are delayed, 33, 34, 41 & 42. Not positive on the building numbers I can't find the post that mentioned them. Those owners with reservations were contacted about being housed in a different comparable unit.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I have s one bedroom two bath Virgin grand unit in February. I will let you know what unit is assigned.

I'm going to try to remember to PM you after your stay. Our guests that are coming with us drink coffee and I need to know what kind of filters they should bring. Since everything should be new, and I can't remember what kind the resort had before anyway!! (We don't drink coffee...just tea....and rum of course:p)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
IIRC only 4 buildings are delayed, 33, 34, 41 & 42. Not positive on the building numbers I can't find the post that mentioned them. Those owners with reservations were contacted about being housed in a different comparable unit.
I know it was 33/34 as that affected me. Since only sunset has 1 Brs I assume we will go there or be upgraded to a two bedroom elsewhere. I don’t think 31/32 have one bedrooms???? I no longer have the link to the building floor plans to check.
Time will tell.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I know it was 33/34 as that affected me. Since only sunset has 1 Brs I assume we will go there or be upgraded to a two bedroom elsewhere. I don’t think 31/32 have one bedrooms???? I no longer have the link to the building floor plans to check.
Time will tell.
4846d318-dc0c-4dfd-8f77-54fc8efc684c
upload_2018-10-18_7-24-28.png upload_2018-10-18_7-23-26.png

Looks like Bldg 31 is the same as 32-34, not sure why the diagrams are separate.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The 1Bd are the villas on top floor of buildings 31-34.
They are separate diagrams as B31 has 2Bd premium villas.

As only VGV have 1 Bd villas (SB is only 2Bd and studios) - it will be interesting to see how they handle changes to other locations. I suspect they will need to put some people in 2Bd villas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Re: Westin Ferry operating solely between Red Hook and WSJ (and dropping Crown Bay). I actually think that this is mainly a good thing because the ferry ride is so much shorter from Red Hook, and presumably allows them to add a much needed 2nd mid-morning option.

The downsides: No lunch at Tickles (bummer) and no opportunity to shop at the local market at Crown Bay.