• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NerdAlert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please see Virgin Grand MF posted for 2018. They will please every VGV owner during this terrible situation.

NerdAlert

TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ VGV Meeting November 10 Quick Summary

There will probably be a formal note coming soon, but here is a quick summary of a portion of the meeting.

No SA coming to VGV. All damage due to Irma and Maria to be covered by insurance. The deductible reserve will be sufficient to cover insurance deductible. International damage recovery company is on site with about 300 workers. (Kudos--They did hire some of the Westin associates too.) Up until now, just damage assessments, moisture mappings, and stabilizations-- no renovations yet. Expect renovation work to begin late December. All pools got sludged, with main pool with 2 feet of sludge. All pools (3BR pools, hillside pools, and main pool) to be resurfaced. Some of the future planned refurbishments are going to be lumped into this renovation, reducing future downtime. Lemongrass did okay with Irma, but rocked by Maria. Huge problem of debris removal. Commercial entities just recently allowed to use landfills in VI. WSJ staging area for debris is tennis court area. Separating organic debris from construction debris so it can be chopped up. Overall, windows and doors fared well, with only 15 windows/doors compromised by projectiles. Big challenge is keeping all generators running to keep A/C systems running. This is important to keep dry units dry. Construction company has been keeping up with the diesel supply for the generators.

Unbelievable items: 50% of drywall resort wide was compromised. The maintenance fees are to be about 40% of prior levels for 2018. Even though bldgs 31-34 look great from afar, weird things happened. Some of the dormers above steps in the end 2BR TH units on the ends acted like flappers during storm. So the wind lifted them, rain shot in, then they went down. This happened all during the storm. They showed pictures of pretty significant damage to the 2BR TH villas on ends. (XX10, XX19, XX21, XX28). Many of the "20th Anniversary" banners on the light poles survived.

The general feeling was that maybe July 1 is optimistic given the magnitude of the job and supply procurement.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow! No SA and 2018 M/F is only 40% of 2017’s? That is incredible. Wouldn’t we need to replenish the reserve since it’s used for insurance deductible?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Wow! No SA and 2018 M/F is only 40% of 2017’s? That is incredible. Wouldn’t we need to replenish the reserve since it’s used for insurance deductible?
Does my MF over-pre-payment just carryover to 2019?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does my MF over-pre-payment just carryover to 2019?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Give them a call and ask them for that. Either way, the overpayment will stay as a balance in your account. You could even ask them for a check back. I’ve done all those...

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)

Good point. Perhaps the MFs are already partially covering the reserve replenishment?

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought about the replenishment, my guess is that it is already covered in the MFs. They may also be thinking that this was a freak year damage wise, like a 100 years storm used for design purposes, so they may think they have some time to get to full replenishment.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Give them a call and ask them for that. Either way, the overpayment will stay as a balance in your account. You could even ask them for a check back. I’ve done all those...
I contacted them via email to see if they will allow me to apply the overage to my other unit. I assume they will say I can't do that. I will then ask for a check back, then charge the other MF to a credit card, get those points and come out ahead!

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, when we are these low MF supposed to be posted online so we can make payment arrangements?

5333grand

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
westin kaan N
Will this resort be back to 100% by October of 2018

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I contacted them via email to see if they will allow me to apply the overage to my other unit. I assume they will say I can't do that. I will then ask for a check back, then charge the other MF to a credit card, get those points and come out ahead!
The response I received:
Dear GINA xxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Vistana Management, Inc.

We are sorry to hear about the confusion that this has caused. Upon reviewing the details of your account xxxxxxx, our records show that it currently has a credit in the amount of $xxxx.xx For information purposes, the 2018 annual fees for the referenced account have not been assessed yet; however, the current estimated amount comes to $2,355.07, not $963.58. Once the statement for the account in question is issued, you will either be billed for the difference, if any, or your account will show a credit. If your account shows a credit after your bill is issued, you may certainly request for it to be transferred to any other of your accounts, or have it refunded back to the credit card you used to submit your payments.

If we can be of further assistance, our hours of operation are:

Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern time
Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time
800-729-8246 - Toll free
407-903-4670 - Local & International
407-418-7771 - Facsimile

Sincerely,
Association Management

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Gina, that is what I would have expected. Once posted you should be able to see your credit.

5333grand.
I own a VOI that allows booking may thru December at 12 months. When I go online and look for availability, there is none.
Not looking good although officially they have only announced closure thru next 6/30/18

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, when will they post...

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
When will the bill arrive with MF? When is the payment due? Not sure if I missed something arriving in the mail.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The WSJ VGV MFs have not yet been posted on VSE, but I expect will be soon now that HOA BOD has met.
The payment will be due in early January.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coral Vista

No usage in 2018 (sad) and reduced Maint Fees for 2018

November 2017

Dear Fellow Coral Vista Owner:

As your elected members of the Board of Directors, we have been actively involved in conversations with the management team of the Westin St. John since the resort was hit by Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria. We are aware that Vistana has been working with our insurance carriers and construction teams and many people are involved in restoring the property to its pre-storm condition.

We have also participated in a number of budget workshops in order to reduce this year’s maintenance fees to as low a level as possible. You will be getting a statement for your maintenance fees which represents a 35.1% decrease in the Base Fee and a 63.7% decrease in the Per Point Assessment for the 2018 year. The Board passed a budget that we felt was responsible and as minimal as possible.

There are significant fixed expenses that are incurred whether or not the resort is open. These include our Association’s share of the salaries of 27 essential resort team members who are continuing to work at the premises (instead of the approximately 270 team members required to operate at full capacity), including seven engineers who will maintain and repair the plant equipment, ten security team members who will ensure the perimeters are secured 24/7 and some key resort leaders and support team members, as well as insurance and utility fees. We are putting aside some money for our insurance contingency but we have not factored in an amount for our normal replacement reserve funding. Since some furniture and other goods will be replaced from insurance proceeds, we will recalculate the useful life of these goods and adjust the replacement reserve schedule (and costs) once we have a better idea on the settlement and the date we reopen.

While your fees are reduced, and the resort is not taking reservations for 2018 at this point in time, you may contact Owner Services at 888-986-9637 for assistance regarding your 2018 Star Options.

Please note that even though maintenance fees are going down significantly for 2018, if you exchange your unit week(s) through Vistana (if your interval is in the network) or through Interval International, you will receive the same benefit as though you had exchanged them after paying a full maintenance fee.

Vistana has arranged for various use options for 2018 even though members have no inventory to trade. This is a significant benefit and an upside of being part of such a large club and system and a silver lining for not being able to use our wonderful property.

We have asked Vistana to make updates on a regular basis to owners. We are aware that there is limited information coming out of St. John and that progress on restoration of the island is taking time to complete. The island has suffered major damage. At the resort, work is being done on a daily basis. At this point, debris is being removed, damaged materials are being taken out, and plans for reconstruction and repair are being made. Everything will be cleaned, repaired, and brought up to standard. Inspections of repairs and testing for mold and mildew will be completed before units are reopened. We all hope that this happens as soon as possible, both at the Westin St. John and for the entire island. Both we and management will keep you informed as best we can.

We will report to you after the annual meeting on March 6, 2018 which will be held in Orlando.

David Futransky
david.coralvista@gmail.com Nancy Gerding
nancy.coralvista@gmail.com James Miller II
james.coralvista@gmail.com
You have received this message as part of your vacation ownership. Please do not reply directly to this system

Here is my 2016 fee for 95.7 SO

2017 BASE FEE 726.09. Will see 35.1% decrease - $471
2017 POINTS ASSESSMENT $1,082.73. Will see 63.7% decrease - $390

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Virginia Grand Villas

Possible usage end of 2018????
November 2017

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Owner:

We recently participated as your elected directors in a Board of Directors meeting to revise the proposed budget created in September that you received several weeks ago. The revision was considered necessary in light of the temporary closing of the resort due to Hurricane Irma (and to a lesser extent, Hurricane Maria, which didn’t directly impact St. John as much as Irma did, but which has slowed reconstruction because of its devastating impact on Puerto Rico).

For purposes of the 2018 budget, we assumed that the resort would be closed for all of 2018. If it is able to open in the latter part of 2018, the Board will likely approve a supplemental budget, with a supplemental maintenance fee bill, late in the year.

The revised budget that we approved, a summary of which will be included with the 2018 maintenance fee bill that management will be sending out to you shortly, represents a 60.4% decrease in expenditures and in maintenance fees, compared with the proposed 2018 budget that we circulated to owners several weeks ago (and represents a 58% reduction compared to our 2017 maintenance fees). The budget cannot be zero, despite the assumed closure of the resort for the entire year, because we nevertheless have significant fixed expenses that are incurred whether or not the resort is open for business. These include our Association’s share of the salaries of the 27 essential resort staff who are continuing to work at the premises, including seven engineers who will maintain and repair the plant and equipment, ten security staff who will ensure the perimeters are secured 24/7 and some key resort leaders and support staff, as well as insurance and utility fees. We have also budgeted to continue paying into an insurance contingency to fund our approximately $2 million deductible under the property insurance policy, as much or all of the insurance deductible fund that we built up over the last few years will be depleted by what we will have to pay as a result of Irma’s destruction. We are not budgeting anything for our usual contribution to the replacement reserve fund, as the insurance policy will pay for replacement of a lot of furniture that was damaged, and thus extend the time before which it will have to be replaced. Next year, after we see how much furniture and equipment has been replaced with new product, we will resume funding the replacement reserve.

Please note that even though maintenance fees are going down significantly for 2018, if you exchange your unit week(s) through Vistana (if your interval is in the network) or through Interval International, you will receive the same benefit as though you had exchanged them after paying a full maintenance fee.

Vistana has arranged for various use options for 2018 even though members have no inventory to trade. This is a significant benefit and an upside of being part of such a large club and system, and a silver lining for not being able to use our wonderful property.

While we have been receiving periodic updates from management we don’t know much more now than we did in our last report about when basic services can be restored fully on the island or when the resort might reopen. At the resort, work is being done every day to remove debris, tear down sheetrock that had become wet, test for mold and mildew, and inspect windows and other structural elements and mechanical equipment. All the pools have been emptied and will be resurfaced while empty. Management will be providing periodic updates as there is news to share, and we will work to stay current, as well. And of course we will write to update you after the annual meeting, to be held in Orlando on March 5.

Philip G. Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com Robert H. Werbel
robert.werbel@yahoo.com

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi Pat - Thanks for the update.
The CV letter does not state 'no usage in 2018' - they are not yet taking 2018 reservations (of course, they may not).
"...the resort is not taking reservations for 2018 at this point in time."

and is aligned with tone of the VGV letter.
"For purposes of the 2018 budget, we assumed that the resort would be closed for all of 2018. If it is able to open in the latter part of 2018, the Board will likely approve a supplemental budget, with a supplemental maintenance fee bill, late in the year."

Pat - did you get resolution on what happens to resale buyers of CV (or BV) for 2018?

Looks like our 2Bd TH will have 2018 MFs between $960-$970/week.
As we used our 2018 SOs to stay at WPORV for 17 nights - that puts our cost at ~$113/nite for a 1Bd.
ps. we chose WPORV over WKORV/N because we are already staying at WKORV for 3 weeks (retirement is nice...)

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
I got my VG letter but not the SB. I wonder why?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi Pat - Thanks for the update.
The CV letter does not state 'no usage in 2018' - they are not yet taking 2018 reservations (of course, they may not).
"...the resort is not taking reservations for 2018 at this point in time."

and is aligned with tone of the VGV letter.
"For purposes of the 2018 budget, we assumed that the resort would be closed for all of 2018. If it is able to open in the latter part of 2018, the Board will likely approve a supplemental budget, with a supplemental maintenance fee bill, late in the year."

Pat - did you get resolution on what happens to resale buyers of CV (or BV) for 2018?

Looks like our 2Bd TH will have 2018 MFs between $960-$970/week.
As we used our 2018 SOs to stay at WPORV for 17 nights - that puts our cost at ~$113/nite for a 1Bd.
ps. we chose WPORV over WKORV/N because we are already staying at WKORV for 3 weeks (retirement is nice...)
I am assuming by the verbiage for CV which is different then VGV that CV had more dAmage and will not be open. Time will tell.

As for my 2017 usage as stated in the above letter, options are SO if participating and/or II deposits - as a resale owner, my only option is II. Looks like the same for 2018.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Welcome to the 'hood.

Sorry for being off-topic - we had a great visit to NYC minus the record setting arctic blast. (luckily we were prepared having camped in Yosemite the week before...)
Highlights:
Front row seats at Village Vanguard (Ravi Coltrane) - standby line.
The Daily Show w/ Trevor Noah - also standby.
Best food for the price - The Halal Guys

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am assuming by the verbiage for CV which is different then VGV that CV had more dAmage and will not be open. Time will tell.

As for my 2017 usage as stated in the above letter, options are SO if participating and/or II deposits - as a resale owner, my only option is II. Looks like the same for 2018.

I think they are just covering the options. I would have loved to see the photos they showed of the 2Bd TH VGV villas.

That is too bad about II being only option for CV/BV resale owners.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.