TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by DavidnRobin, Jun 24, 2014.

1. farsighted99

farsighted99 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Nanea (Maui)
    Getting value out of Starpoints depends on what hotel you are going to stay in, when you are traveling, and how much you can get it elsewhere. I just went on a trip to Asia: stayed in Bangkok at the St. Regis. Booked it through Amex (Platinum Card) and got a 4th night free and a free dinner in their Italian restaurant. Rates were way lower than points. Then stayed in the Le Meridien in Chiang Mai and booked it using points through Chase Ultra Rewards (Sapphire Reserve). Then the Marriott in Hong Kong used Marriott points since that was the best deal. All 3 hotels are SPG hotels. Got upgraded in all 3 hotels, with breakfast included. Haven't touched my Starpoints yet, but probably will soon. I have a lot of them thanks to Vistana. However, I wouldn't buy any unless I had plans to use them soon and they worked out to be worthwhile. Oh, and expiring in 6 years in not very appealing. Miles sent to airlines isn't too bad, but if your airline is United it's not a good exchange (2 starpoints for 1 united).

SandyPGravel likes this.
  2. YYJMSP

YYJMSP TUG Member

so here's a thought -- what happens to all of the WSJ Explorer packages out there that you can no longer return on?

3. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    They will likely just extend the deadline to use them.

4. Helios

Helios TUG Member

You do need to be aware of bad conversion rations and figure out what airline has the most advantageous point requirements for your desired route/cabin.

5. Helios

Helios TUG Member

tada...

6. Helios

Helios TUG Member

Re: value, I'll give you an example that maximizes your ROI. Buy the $110K points for $1,815, say you have 5K SPG points (value those at $0.0165/SP or $82.5), then convert them to Aeroplan miles in two batches (60K and 55K). You will get 140K miles for $1,897.50. Get a Lufthansa ticket from the US to Europe (saver mileage) for 140K miles and ~$1,266.60 CAD. Your total cost would be approximately $1,897.50 plus $1,015 = $2,912.50 USD. Sounds like a lot, probably/it depends...but this tix out of pocket can be more over $18,000. I know you won't earn miles...

No fuzzy math here. I just picked a good example to illustrate the value that can be achieved if the points are properly used. I realize this is not for everyone. There are other ways to get an even higher ROI...

7. NNerland

NNerland Guest

We have a package - we had reservations for January. We were able to cancel, before they cancelled everyone's automatically. I was told they would basically do whatever to make it work and they are kicking out there a few years. They basically use hotel inventory or unsold inventory so it shouldn't mess things up too much. But obviously they sell them to get you back and they want you back. They have been great to work with thus far. Package will be paid off this year, not a bad vacation at interest free. Not a STEAL by any means like I first sold myself on; but nothing to be ashamed of. Basically in our case a bit cheaper than the dues one would pay and much cheaper if we get to be in the new Sunset phase (which ironically has the most damage)

8. ksqdomer

ksqdomer Guest

they have, two years.

9. YYJMSP

YYJMSP TUG Member

Yup, just got the email on ours this morning -- extended to Dec 15, 2019

10. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    I’m curious on how a SA could apply for phases such as Sunset Bay that are in active sales by the developer. Wouldn’t the developer still have to pay their share on developer owned units?

As Denise mentioned in another thread, it’s not popular, but due to hurricane and completely unexpected, how much could it be to prevent owners from walking and how could it affect owners in a phase in active sales?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 2:09 PM
  11. SMHarman

SMHarman TUG Member

Yes the developer still owns those shares so would be paying their share. Just like they pay the HOA MF on those shares.

I'm more curious about owners that closed but their first use year is 2018. They didn't pay MF for use during the period the event occurred in and the developer has a warranty of habitation under law so surely the developer should be paying to make those weeks habitable again.

SandyPGravel likes this.
  12. Helios

Helios TUG Member

I'll post on this as this is exactly my case. :mad: :ponder: :wall: :bawl: :shrug: :doh:

13. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    WSJ-VGV 2018 (proposed) annual fees just arrived in mail

2018 WSJ-VGV MF (proposed)
    Studio: $1458.19
    1Bd: $1944.34
    2Bd TH: $2430.07
    2Bd Prem: $2916.40
    3Bd Pool: $2916.60

IMPORTANT
    Note at bottom states:
    This is only proposed and needs to be approved.
    That the MFs will NOT be as high as proposed due to H. Irma
    November 10 is the date for approval of the actual budget (MF).

It is interesting to note that the 2Bd TH MFs increased by ~$30. That is 5-6 years in row that MFs have stayed relatively flat (w/o Irma impact)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 6:37 PM
  14. okwiater

okwiater TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
    WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
    WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
    SMV 2B Plat+
    Sheraton Flex (x2)
    I assume the 3BR pool villa MF of $1916.60 is a typo?

15. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Oops - corrected - thanks

16. DavidnRobin

DavidnRobin TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKORV OFD (Maui)
    WPORV (Kauai)
    WSJ-VGV (St. John)
    WKV (Scottsdale)
    Question for WSJ Owners that took offer to buy SPs for 1.65c/SP.

Anyone been successful in actually purchasing them?
    Twice now - they have given me delay excuses (2 different ones...)

17. Helios

Helios TUG Member

I intend to buy it but haven’t gotten around to call. What kind delay excuses are they giving you?

18. Markus

Markus TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WLR, WSJ, WKV, WDW, VSE 5*
    I am going go buy also. These will be of good use in Europe. I just burned off quite a few in Greece, and found very good value.

Markus

19. OCsun

OCsun TUG Member

I called and purchased points yesterday. They said it could take up to 72 hrs to show. Is that not the case?