• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekinggill

TUG Member
Reaction score
My week 32 reservation is intact, but I don't know what to do. On one hand, June 30 could become August 30 late in the game leaving me few options in 2018 where the kids are not in school.

On the other hand, I really want to support St. John in its recovery. If the Westin is open for business, I want to support the recovery with my vacation dollars. Frankly a less crowded island and a few less amenities has great appeal to me.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
This seems like quite an imbalance and quite a question for VSE. (Probably leading to a class action lawsuit). Usually when an owner trades a use week for another use week there it is one week for one week. Here they are creating weeks out of thin air and using them to trade for real assets. So, the STJ owners are paying fees to use other system assets and the fees are going ...... where? Kinda fits the definition of fraud.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Vistana is able to balance things out using unsold inventory. Marriott does it all the time with their destination club program. If Marriott needs a week I deposit in II they take it and substitute another week for. deposit.
Vistana will be able to manipulate what is actually deposited.
It all works out in the end.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Vistana is able to balance things out using unsold inventory. Marriott does it all the time with their destination club program. If Marriott needs a week I deposit in II they take it and substitute another week for. deposit.

Hold on...
That is only if VSN has the inventory - and many of the VSN resorts are a serious step-down in many ways.

Hey WSJ Owners - those paying high MFs - go ahead and stay at a Orlando Sheraton that have 1/2 the MFs... ???
Sounds like a win for VSE/VSN unless they serious cut the 2018 fees for WSJ.
Right...

It is complicated - Duke isn’t wrong that they are walking a tight-rope. They may have just effective sold more SOs than owned (how many are going into II?), and certainly gained in MF value per SO. This is 9 months of SOs (or HOs) times 4 phases times #VOI-weeks - many that have high SO/HO holdings.
Al least they allowed SO banking until 2021 - that helps to buffer.

Isn’t that like selling more VOIs than you have? And they gain a benefit based on WSJ Owners decrease in SO value...

Again - complicated. Much depends on WSJ fees in 2018 and beyond...
At least we won’t have to pay that BS USVI fee of $175/week in 2018...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just went into VSE portal - one of our VGV weeks (wk24) was already cancelled and SOs returned, and the other week (wk23) was still listed (weird - it may because it has a separate II account number?). I cancelled it. I am going to try and get a jump on VSN usage of those SOs (191.4K) before the large increase of WSJ owners trying and figure out what to do (SO use or Bank). Hawaii - here we come!

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well.....With that update, I have canceled my three weeks at St John. Our reservations are for July 14th, but I do not like the "2 week" cushion that everything is going to be ok by June 30th.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana has a bunch of new inventory that they can use.....Cabo, Cancun, Maui. Plus a percentage of people will do nothing or bank into 2019.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Vistana has a bunch of new inventory that they can use.....Cabo, Cancun, Maui. Plus a percentage of people will do nothing or bank into 2019.

The new resorts help somewhat, and certainly the banking. However, they will also have owners, and others are using VSN and Banking. It is still a flood - how large remains to be seen. Many WSJ Owners are paying a very high $/SO rate.
I am going to reserve 16-17 nites in a 1Bd HI for our 191.4K SOs. No desire for Cancun, and Cabo only has 2Bd (or studios?).

Of course, this will be without knowing the 2018 cost for those WSJ-VGV SOs - that could change our plans.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again - complicated. Much depends on WSJ fees in 2018 and beyond...
At least we won’t have to pay that BS USVI fee of $175/week in 2018...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How the 2018 operating budget has any operating in it. Surely they should run a huge operating surplus in 2017 as well. 3 months of no housekeeping, electric bills and many other big ticket items.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
the 2018 MF will be a mess......How do you "subtract" costs from being closed for 10 months (minimum) and add in costs to fix/replace damages to the resort?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I just got my cancelation for week 7

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
the 2018 MF will be a mess......How do you "subtract" costs from being closed for 10 months (minimum) and add in costs to fix/replace damages to the resort?
Seems pretty simple to me

Fixed costs (insurance etc) stick.
Variable costs (electric./ cleaning) pro-rated.
Take the surplus from 2017 and toss it in there.
That's your 2018 OPERATING budget.

Fix / replace that's all CAPITAL budget and an assessment to cover insurance gaps and rebuild deductible reserves over an appropriate time-frame. Realistically there is likely a short term borrow with a lien on the grounds or other HOA owned assets (including the ability to uses owners future cashflow as collateral on that loan) to spread the pain of the rebuild assessment.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am sure the insurance will also cover interruption of business to the resort too.
The bit I feel sad for here is the resort mitigates interruption costs by laying off all non essential staff instead of paying them and the cost rolling up to the insurer.

It's not like the staff have other jobs to go to.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I was able to reserve an oceanfront 2-bedroom villa in Maui, change my flights with no change fee to cover the outbound flight, and redeem AA miles accumulated during an SPG-AA transfer bonus promotion for the return flight. Total spent to trade my St. John vacation for a Hawaii one for my family of 4: $105. Not bad.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
We own a 3BR pool villa fixed/fixed that's out of network. The Hubby just called the elite line to see what we could get with this situation. Basically, nothing special due to the situation. We can reserve someplace else 8 months out as if we were just using the options. We were trying to reserve something at Harborside for 8 months + 1 day and the rep nicely explained how we could do that at midnight. Basically, have fun using your options somewhere else in 2018 if you can find it at this late date, or bank them.

Our 2019 reservation, which we had not yet confirmed, still looks like it's available for confirmation.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
My week 32 reservation is intact, but I don't know what to do. On one hand, June 30 could become August 30 late in the game leaving me few options in 2018 where the kids are not in school.

On the other hand, I really want to support St. John in its recovery. If the Westin is open for business, I want to support the recovery with my vacation dollars. Frankly a less crowded island and a few less amenities has great appeal to me.
I think you may be out of luck, your week is close enough that it may get cancelled if they hit any issues. Hopefully I am wrong.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
This seems like quite an imbalance and quite a question for VSE. (Probably leading to a class action lawsuit). Usually when an owner trades a use week for another use week there it is one week for one week. Here they are creating weeks out of thin air and using them to trade for real assets. So, the STJ owners are paying fees to use other system assets and the fees are going ...... where? Kinda fits the definition of fraud.
I mentioned this before, I agree with the unbalance 100%. But, can Vistana really get in trouble given the circumstances? Now, more than ever, it will be very important to reserve during the home season. Too bad for us WSJ owners...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do they own enough inventory to balance things? Are they OK forfeiting revenue to keep owners happy?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Has anyone asked what the deal is for the star points?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Of course I don't pay an SA, but, should SAs cover the rebuilding cost? MF should cover the recurrent costs, so those should go down until the units can be occupied.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone asked what the deal is for the star points?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I am guessing they will be similar to the discount packages you can get when you buy from them. If so, I want 100 of those...:doh:

So nice of them...

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reserve a Vistana Signature Network reservation for a stay at one of our other 20 network resorts; OR
Bank your 2018 Use Year StarOptions with no transaction fee, which are valid for use through December 31, 2021; OR
Assign your Weeks or Points Use Right with the full trading power of your Home Resort interval with Interval International(1) for use through December 31, 2020. While there is no fee to assign your week, at the time you initiate a vacation exchange request, Interval will collect its current exchange fee.(2)

How about if you are a non-VGV resale owner? Can you still use VSN to exchange or bank?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I just went into VSE portal - one of our VGV weeks (wk24) was already cancelled and SOs returned, and the other week (wk23) was still listed (weird - it may because it has a separate II account number?). I cancelled it. I am going to try and get a jump on VSN usage of those SOs (191.4K) before the large increase of WSJ owners trying and figure out what to do (SO use or Bank). Hawaii - here we come!

I just got my cancelation for week 7

My week 8- 2018 rez is still showing confirmed...:confused: Guess they aren't cancelling chronologically.

Status
Not open for further replies.