• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
I wonder how the damage at Sunset Bay will affect the active sales and construction timeframe. I would assume most units are still developer owned at this point and less owner owned?

tammymacb

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a VGV owner and our friends own Bay Vista. We were SO excited about our next trip and then so devastated by what happened to our happy place. The villa photos look reassuring and I am really hoping this summer will be a "different" trip but still a wonderful one.
My husband and I are both divers and spent years diving Cayman. I understand the worry about the reefs taking a hit, and I'm sure they will. The issue is the churned up sand chokes out the reef. Time will tell what will happen and new reefs will form.
Until then, we'll make new memories and be thankful for what we have.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
That before and after video......wow!

Looks like the six lower buildings, resort pool area and check-in building took a beating. It will be 6-9 months to rebuild the check-in building.....and I might be too optimistic.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
That before and after video......wow!

Looks like the six lower buildings, resort pool area and check-in building took a beating. It will be 6-9 months to rebuild the check-in building.....and I might be too optimistic.

Tom, I think your estimate is optimistic. If I was planning to stay here in winter 2018, I would begin to think about making alternate plans.

taffy19

Reaction score
45 min video of Westin before and after.
This person said that it was a very scary experience but nobody was killed. For a person who knows this place well it has to be interesting to watch his experience. He walked down the hill to the beach and showed the preparation that was done by the employees to keep things from flying around. He walked down the hill a second time after the hurricane so you can see the damage that was done to the trees and beautiful landscaping plus the lobby area and then to the beach where some of the boats ended up. The crew was already removing the tree debris off the roads.

ksqdomer

Reaction score
any word on the Westin Ferry? I wonder how the building fared down by the dock for future check in? I would have to think that some temporary pods or other structures will be used for check in for quite some time. We are next June and I really hope to be there.

Negma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk WKV WMH WKORVN SVR Harborside 5* and spoiled
An amazing video. The work ahead for the employees first personally then for the resort is massive. Our hearts go out to them, and some $$ too.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Over the weekend, Robin and I were discussing what to do with next year. We already have three units booked for next July and our friends have another three units booked. With all that damage we are seeing about the islands, what will await us when we arrive? I am heavily leaning or looking to alternative vacations, but I also hate eating the MF on three units. I will be waiting and watching over the next month or so, to see what VSE has to say about the resort.

taffy19

Reaction score
The pool looked very dirty and some buildings had damage too but nowhere near the damage that hurricane Kenna did to our timeshare resort next to the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort in Puerto Vallarta in October 2002.

A very big wave wiped out the first two stories of accommodations completely plus all the electrical wires had to be replaced but the kitchen below ground level took the longest to replace plus new restaurants around the pool.

Our resort took about a year and a half and I remember posting pictures here on TUG of the damage to our 1 BR fixed timeshare on the second floor as nothing was left inside.

We also saw the damage in Kauai right after Hurricane Iniki and that was far worse than in Mexico. The damage was almost everywhere and it took years to rebuild.

I don't think that it will take that long to get the resort ready but the lush scenery may not be the same and some wonder about the reef.

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
The pool looked very dirty and some buildings had damage too but nowhere near the damage that hurricane Kenna did to our timeshare resort next to the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort in Puerto Vallarta in October 2002.

A very big wave wiped out the first two stories of accommodations completely plus all the electrical wires had to be replaced but the kitchen below ground level took the longest to replace plus new restaurants around the pool.

Our resort took about a year and a half and I remember posting pictures here on TUG of the damage to our 1 BR fixed timeshare on the second floor as nothing was left inside.

We also saw the damage in Kauai right after Hurricane Iniki and that was far worse than in Mexico. The damage was almost everywhere and it took years to rebuild.

I don't think that it will take that long to get the resort ready but the lush scenery may not be the same and some wonder about the reef.

I don't think the photos are reflecting the extent of the damage. I can assure you with gusts of 225+ mph, there was extensive damage. I believe it will take at least a year and maybe longer, and even then, things will not be the same. Remember, there are roads, restaurants, gas stations, etc., that sustained massive damage. It will take several weeks (hopefully not months), just to restore electricity to all of the island. I am very appreciative of the video; its hard to fathom the devastation that even less intensive hurricanes cause.

Last edited:

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I think that video is very telling. Those overhead videos do not reflect the damage that is done on the ground like that person walking on the ground. It's going to take more that a couple months. The lobby is totally destroyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
any word on the Westin Ferry? I wonder how the building fared down by the dock for future check in? I would have to think that some temporary pods or other structures will be used for check in for quite some time. We are next June and I really hope to be there.

The guests stranded were sent to PR by boat - from the IG video by Hershseysfinest looks the the WSJ ferry. The other boats Island Spirit and dive boats were beached based on YouTube video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Just feeling sad about the whole thing. So sorry for the people who live and work there.

Hurricane Ivan hit Grand Cayman 9/11/04. It took a long time for them to come back. It still has world class diving and snorkeling and beautiful resorts but it did not happen overnight. I have been an owner at Morritts Tortuga Club since 2007 but it was still "tough" even 2 1/2 years after the storm.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting SOs is some reassurance. However, not my case, how about if you wanted to rent your week. Would they let you use those SOs to reserve somewhere else and rent there. I would think not.

Also, how about if you are simply not interested in going somewhere else. Should they waive your MFs during the time they cannot provide the unit they are maintaining for you? Should they have insurance for this?

Lastly, the SOs that could be used in the network could create a headache for some people reserving.

I don't mean to sound insensitive to what's going on, but at the same time I don't want to be responsible for something I have no control over and that Vistana can do something about.
In the same way your homeowner covers the cost of alternate accommodation, the insurances the HOA have in place should cover the consequential loss here.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
There is lots of damage to certain buildings, yes, but many other buildings escaped "relatively" unscathed. I personally have a new appreciation for the quality of the rough construction used on those Hillside and Bay Vista buildings.

Either way, while I think the island will still be in a very rough and battered condition 4-6 months from now, I don't share lizap's somewhat more pessimistic outlook. Nor can I imagine staying away from the island this winter and keeping the much needed dollars away from the people who live on the island and are deciding whether and how to put their lives back together.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
The food and ambiance will be just as good...

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Wow. So depressing. So sad... It can all be rejuvenated, but so sorry for everyone. Looks worse than I thought. Guess it will be awhile before I head there, looks like. Was planning to swap between here and Nanea.... every other year.

The vegetation looks completely wiped out.

Hope it gets back in shape by 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.