TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Westin Resort & Spa in Cancun

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by HarborsideHappyGirl, May 24, 2018.

1. HarborsideHappyGirl

HarborsideHappyGirl Guest

I see that this is a new(ish) option for Cancun.

Does anyone have any experience with this resort? If so, what did you think?

2. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    It is a hotel conversion to timeshare. Vistana took ownership of this property when Starwood spun off the timeshare business. They are slowly converting units to timeshare and I suspect there is still heavy construction going on at this property right now. It is operating as a hotel and timeshare until all units have been converted, which isn't supposed to happen until 2020.

The property is at the south end of the hotel zone and may not be in the best location for walking to a lot of restaurants. You would need to take the bus to a lot of places. The Westin Laguanmar is in a much better location.

Gatorlaw230 likes this.
  3. Snowonbeach

Snowonbeach TUG Member

I agree that Westin Lagunamar is closer to the grocery and liquor stores but the beach at Westin Resort and Spa is much better. It's on a cove and the water is not nearly as rough.

4. HarborsideHappyGirl

The beach at the Lagunamar was disappointing. It was far too windy and wavy to enjoy like we wanted, especially for kids.

TravelTime likes this.
  5. jlp879

jlp879 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

I've stayed at both resorts, but only at the Westin Resort & Spa before it began conversion; it was entirely a hotel at the time. So I have no experience in the timeshare rooms. Still, overall as a resort, I preferred the Westin Resort over the Westin Lagunamar.

Getting it out of the way, the rooms are much older and so is the entire resort. However, I really liked the beach and the overall feel of the resort.

IMO, if you're a beach person, you'd prefer the Westin Resort and if you're a pool person, you'd prefer Lagunamar. The pools at the Westin Resort (there are a least 4) are small and featureless. However, the whole resort is oriented to the beach in a way that Lagunamar is not. At Lagunamar, I felt cut off from the rest of the resort when I was on the beach. It somehow felt isolated to be at the beach and the beach never seemed to be busy.

At the Westin Resort, most of the loungers orient towards the beach rather than the pool. There is a whole level of patio at some of the pools that is built with sand and palapas that is just one level up from the beach. Then it is just a small level down again and many more chairs and palapas front the actual beach than at Lagunamar.

The beach is actively used. There were always a lot of people walking along it and it was swimmable. Since it so close to the rock outcropping at the Club Med the water is much calmer and provides a reef for snorkeling.

Yes, it is the furthest south area of the Hotel Zone, but we like exploring and we didn't mind the extra bit of time on the bus. There is an excellent seafood restaurant, Navíos, that is walking distance from the Westin, but not much else.

TravelTime and Gatorlaw230 like this.
  6. Carolyn

Carolyn TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin St John
    WJL St Lucia
    St James Club Antigua
    Charter Club Marco
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    We are booked in an oceanside studio in October using Star Options. The website states all construction will be complete in August, 2018. When we owned at The Royal Mayan down the street years ago, we would always take the bus to the Westin (Regina) have a drink at the outside bar and then walk thru Club Med and snorkle on the calm side. We loved the location and the bus transportation was super easy!

7. Ckhawaii

Ckhawaii Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Ocean Tower HGVC
    I was there last month at the Westin Cancun hotel and can atest from above. We stayed in a standard ocean view room. While the rooms are a little old, the views are incredible. If you like pools then this resort right now isn’t for you. I am not sure how the layout will be when the construction is complete but their is only one pool and it’s kind of small. However the beach in front of the hotel is excellent.

The hotel offers two restaurants and is on the south end of the hotel zone. We took a bus (it seems like they run almost every minute!) to the restaurants in the Lagunamar area.

Overall we liked the JW Marriott and the Hyatt more from past stays. However the Westin has a more quiet and laid back vibe, mainly due to its location. I’d like to go back when it’s completely converted to villas and has all the pools and spa open.

TravelTime likes this.
  8. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

I wonder why you need the same number of SOs for 2 bedrooms at both Westin Resort and Spa and Westin Lagunamar given that

1) half of the Resort and Spa condos are lagoon side while virtually all Lagunamar condos have ocean views.
    2) the 2 bedroom condos at Resort and Spa are small (843 sqf) and the second bedroom has no windows. The 2 bedrooms lockoff condo at Lagunamar is bigger (1140 sqf) and both bedrooms have nice views and balconies.
    3) Lagunamar has a better location with tons of restaurants and shopping around.

Am I missing something? Is Vistana trying to create more points (therefore more revenue) by treating the smaller condos with a less interesting view the same?

upload_2018-6-24_15-13-25.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  9. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    More points in the Aventuras Flex pool to sell. They can sell access to Lagunamar all while selling points seeded from The Westin Cancun.

10. blondietink

blondietink Guest

So, there won't be any 1 bedroom villas at the Cancun resort?

11. jlp879

jlp879 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

12. blondietink

blondietink Guest

I guess that leaves us out then, unless the studios are huge and have a full kitchen.

13. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

14. blondietink

blondietink Guest

Studios are just not for this family of 4 adults. Plus we rarely go.out to eat due to food allergies.

15. Carolyn

Carolyn TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin St John
    WJL St Lucia
    St James Club Antigua
    Charter Club Marco
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    From the Vistana website:

Resort Renovations: Through August 2018
    While we are nearing the end of the extensive, multimillion dollar renovation on the resort, there will be ongoing renovation work in the following areas:
    • Lagoon terrace and its surroundings — through April 30
    • Restaurant El Palmar and the surrounding triangular swimming pools
    • Heavenly Spa by WestinTM
    • WestinWORKOUT® Fitness Studio

During this time, construction areas will be fully surrounded by fencing and work will occur daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Guests should expect moderate noise during this time; all efforts will be made to keep disruption to a minimum.

All other restaurants, pools and amenities, including the new FlowRider®, will remain open for Guests’ enjoyment. Please contact the resort for additional information.

16. HarborsideHappyGirl

I'm trying to understand why the Westin Resort & Spa's 3 bdr is worth substantially more points than the 3 bdr at Harborside which is larger and has all of Atlantis included. That math makes no sence to me.

17. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

does Westin Resort and Spa have a code for Interval yet?

18. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    FYI - Club Regina / Raintree share the driveway .
    It is also non - AI .
    & the beach was great when we did a 2015 RCI exchange
    RCI resort code 2662

I believe when the Westin Hotel & Club Regina were built - they had a common corporate ownership / and were built on the same "footprint "

19. okwiater

okwiater TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
    WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
    WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
    SMV 2B Plat+
    Sheraton Flex (x2)
    The StarOptions for Harborside will go up when Vistana gets to build a new phase there (i.e. probably never).

20. HarborsideHappyGirl

Doesn't really address the unfairness of the comparison.

21. Carolyn

Carolyn TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin St John
    WJL St Lucia
    St James Club Antigua
    Charter Club Marco
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    We are due to come to the resort Oct 20-27. I just went on the Vistana website and saw the following:

Resort Renovations: Through October 2018
    While we are nearing the end of the extensive, multimillion-dollar renovation on the resort, there will be ongoing renovation work in the following areas:

• El Palmar Restaurant and the surrounding triangular swimming pools. Sea & Stones Restaurant is affected due to its proximity to the triangular swimming pools.
    • Heavenly Spa by Westin™
    • WestinWORKOUT® Fitness Studio
    • Renovation to the sidewalks at the property’s main entrance

Additionally, the oceanside villas are closed to occupancy at varying times during the renovation project. When this occurs, Guests who have been confirmed into oceanside villas will be placed into lagoon-side villas. All other restaurants, pools and amenities, including the new FlowRider®, will remain open for Guests’ enjoyment.

During this time, construction areas will be fully surrounded by fencing and work will occur daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Guests should expect moderate noise during this time; all efforts will be made to keep disruption to a minimum.

Thank you for your patience during this resort enhancement project. Please contact the resort for additional information.

The last time I checked, the website stated that this construction would go on through August 2018.

We booked and oceanside studio and so not want to be on the lagoon side. Has anyone been there recently? Not a happy camper.

Carolyn

22. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

lots of ocean view suites/ rooms available on SPG for that period. I would check with Vistana and the resort to see what is going on.

23. Tucsonadventurer

Tucsonadventurer TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
    The rooms are quite nice but there is not much in the area. Also when we were at Lagunamar and my husband and our friends went to see it, there was tons of seaweed in the ocean, to the point that none of the guests wanted to go in.

24. blondietink

blondietink Guest

Was the seaweed in the ocean or lagoon or both? The resort is way out of the hotel zone but we thought we might like to try it for a couple of days as people rave about the swim-able lagoon. But, if it attracts seaweed like the ocean, it will be a no go for us.

25. Tucsonadventurer

Tucsonadventurer TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
    Ocean side, guests were complaining. Staff were digging holes to bury it and filling plastic bags with seaweed but it did not make a dent.There was some at Lagunamar in August too but nowhere nears what they had and still very swimmable.. We were wondering if it is related to red tide in Florida . You should check if at other times of year the situation is better.