• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Nanea - observations

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
LOL...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like they designed it so not to upset people with color blindness :)

I saw on another post that you hadn't scored a great room at Nanea. Are you in 3310 above reception with the view of the parking structure? You should add a post to the 'views from the lanai thread' so people can see what a 'resort view' at Nanea could entail

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Looks like they designed it so not to upset people with color blindness :)

I saw on another post that you hadn't scored a great room at Nanea. Are you in 3310 above recept with the view of the parking structure? You should add a post to the 'views from the lanai thread' so people can see what a 'resort view' at Nanea could entail

Yes we are - in a 2Bd.
I would recommend staying away from the PL view - but again we are spoiled with OFD. And beggars can’t be choosers - meaning... this was 5 nites for $625 including car rental and $75 resort credit. with sales pitch mandatory.
They did offer to move us - but we had already settled in. If we were here for longer - definitely. Then again, may not bother others. The reverse beeping by the Shuttle every 20 mins is annoying - and the lights from PL. (and general car noises...).
Other than that... :D

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks for sharing the photos. We have a 1 bdrm Nanea reserved for 5 nights with points via the Marriott Hotel portal. Hope they don't give us a parking lot view but I don't have high hopes. If view and PL noise is too annoying, we have an overlapping night with a 2 bdrm Maui Hill week so may opt to leave early and go there. Like you, this will be coming after a week's stay in an OF unit.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for sharing the photos. We have a 1 bdrm Nanea reserved for 5 nights with points via the Marriott Hotel portal. Hope they don't give us a parking lot view but I don't have high hopes. If view and PL noise is too annoying, we have an overlapping night with a 2 bdrm Maui Hill week so may opt to leave early and go there. Like you, this will be coming after a week's stay in an OF unit.

Just be wise on villa locations when checking in - stay away from those facing PL (I did not).
They offered a move, but it was too late.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Other than asking for a 1 bdrm without a PL view, is there a particular building or location I should request?

Does it help to call in advance? Or certain room numbers I should avoid?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Other than asking for a 1 bdrm without a PL view, is there a particular building or location I should request?

Does it help to call in advance? Or certain room numbers I should avoid?

I don't think there are any 1BR with PL views. The problem is they are so short of 1BR it looks like they are 'upgrading' people to 2BR with PL views.

As for the beeping of the reversing shuttle, that was my only negative on our stay there and we were in 2509 overlooking the open space.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Frankly I was surprised that they were offering 1 bdrm units on the hotel site for 4th of July week given I have heard that owners can't get reservations.

Good to know that there are no 1 bdrms with a PL view. Perhaps I will decline the "upgrade" if it has a PL view and see what they offer(!)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Frankly I was surprised that they were offering 1 bdrm units on the hotel site for 4th of July week given I have heard that owners can't get reservations.

Good to know that there are no 1 bdrms with a PL view. Perhaps I will decline the "upgrade" if it has a PL view and see what they offer(!)

I apologize but I was mistaken. I based my reply on memory and on looking at the resort map posted on page 4 of this thread where I thought all 1BR we situated as infill on the inner corners of the units. However, looking at the schematic also posted on page 4 it seems there are 1BRs on the outer corners too, some of them facing the PLs. Sorry!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
IMO Your view is better than I thought. At least you can see the mountains and there is some space between the hotel and garage. At Ko Olina the parking lot shadows the balcony and you look right into the garage.

Perhaps you could notify management of the shuttle back-up noise as they must not be aware given they don't stay there and there is a simple solution to use the roundabout.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO Your view is better than I thought. At least you can see the mountains and there is some space between the hotel and garage. At Ko Olina the parking lot shadows the balcony and you look right into the garage.

Perhaps you could notify management of the shuttle back-up noise as they must not be aware given they don't stay there and there is a simple solution to use the roundabout.

seriously now, who designs some of these resorts? Cannot parking views be avoided? Don't they realize how much owners value the view?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
seriously now, who designs some of these resorts? Cannot parking views be avoided? Don't they realize how much owners value the view?

They managed with WKORVN.
I am not complaining as we are on a Nanea Preview that they allowed even as an VSN Owner.
A bargain - and if anyone wants an invite - send me a PM.

$625 for 5-nites 1Bd, including $185 towards car rental and a $75 Resort Credit
(may be slightly off on cost and rental)
the resort credit helps offset occupancy fee and/or parking fees.
Also, since it comes with daily housekeeping - you can GoGreen and get breakfast buffet credits (3 of them) - a $20 value each.
90 min standard VSN Timeshare presentation required.
PM me if you would like info for contact.

We tagged the 5 nites onto our 2 week stay - worked great.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

They were informed about it when we were there a year ago but it looks like so far they have decided not to do anything about it or can't do anything about it as the reception turnaround might be too tight, too low or too congested.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
They were informed about it when we were there a year ago but it looks like so far they have decided not to do anything about it or can't do anything about it as the reception turnaround might be too tight, too low or too congested.

Perhaps if they get enough complaints and emerges in TripAdvisor reviews they may decide to address it.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
To those that PM’d me regarding Nanea Invite - I am traveling home and will follow up then (Fri-Sat).

Vacationgoer

Reaction score
VRBO is significantly more expensive, and the rental rules favor the renter. Personally, I wouldn't use it.

I use both Redweek and TUG.
Good to have your insights into VRBO. I did a little homework, and it looks VRBO charges owner 8% commission if a unit can be rented out.
VRBO is significantly more expensive, and the rental rules favor the renter. Personally, I wouldn't use it.

I use both Redweek and TUG.
Good to have your insights into VRBO. I did a little homework, and it looks VRBO charges owner 8% fees if a unit can be rented out -- 5% commission + 3% each transaction. Is this reason that you think VRBO expensive? Mimi

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - If you rent it on Redweek - your total fees are about $50. Its a flat fee (membership + Ad.)

If you rent it on TUG - your total fees are $15 per year - just your TUG membership. NO rental fees.

triangulum33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
2005 WKORN
We explored Nanea on our owners update yesterday.
They told us there are only 14 units that face outward (PL).

We didn't care for the decor and it had a cheap feel to it that North and South don't have.

Adria and I had an interesting conversation about the room layout. If you are staying with family or close friends, and you eat most of your meals together, the Nanea gives you much better dining space. While the lockoff, forces all 6 of us to cram into the 1bd to eat and hang out, it would be much more comfy at Nanea. Since there are only 3beds, though, it woud make it harder on us with kids and friends. Plus you do loose some of the privacy and Independence the lockoff gives you.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

What exactly does that mean? Outward (PL)?

UPDATE: Perhaps PL means parking lot?

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

We didn't care for the decor and it had a cheap feel to it that North and South don't have.

Adria and I had an interesting conversation about the room layout. If you are staying with family or close friends, and you eat most of your meals together, the Nanea gives you much better dining space. While the lockoff, forces all 6 of us to cram into the 1bd to eat and hang out, it would be much more comfy at Nanea. Since there are only 3beds, though, it woud make it harder on us with kids and friends. Plus you do loose some of the privacy and Independence the lockoff gives you.

It looks like a whole lot more that 14 PL (parking lot -- actually multi-story parking structure) view units according to the site plan David posted at #86 above. More likely it is 14 units times the number of floors.

I will do onsite research in December -- hopefully NOT from a PL view suite (Interval exchange).

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
It looks like a whole lot more that 14 PL (parking lot -- actually multi-story parking structure) view units according to the site plan David posted at #86 above. More likely it is 14 units times the number of floors.

I will do onsite research in December -- hopefully NOT from a PL view suite.

I just reviewed the site map I received in March and you've hit the nail on the head. There are 14 units per floor which face the parking lot.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just reviewed the site map I received in March and you've hit the nail on the head. There are 14 units per floor which face the parking lot.

14? LOL

I took a short video - wish I could post directly here
although B3 has only 3 floors - and B5 has the workout room.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The 3 outward facing units in Bldg 8 don't have the best of views either because the property next door is only 15'-20' away but I suppose it beats PL (and at least they won't hear the beep...beep... from there :))

beachlynn

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to add some observations about Nanea that our friends offered us after going on WKORV explorer pkg. Their first room was terrible and not clean, as in toilet not flushed after the previous guest used it. The front desk moved them and the room was awful and looked at the electrical area. The noise was so loud they couldn't open the window. They had no lanai as they were in a studio. Why would management give potential customers such a crappy room if you are trying to entice them to buy?
So our friends went down to Nanea where another couple they knew were on an explorer pkg. They had upgraded them to a 2 bedroom so our friends didn't even stay at WKORV. Our friends have stayed with us in building 5 and building 8 at WKORVN. She said hands down they liked our villas better, clearly she didn't experience OFD which is another animal altogether. These were some observations:
The sewer smell was really bad. Our friend who was a guest at Nanea got out of his car and commented on the bad the smell was and the valet acted as though they didn't know what he was talking about. Our friends said that they didn't want to stay on their lanai for very long because it smelled so bad. I was there in Feb and never smelled anything. I was there in Oct 2016 and never smelled anything either. So is it intermittent?
Speaking of eating on the lanai, they said there was no light on their lanai. They brought a lamp out on the lanai so they could see what they were eating.
She hated the kitchen layout. The counter space is too small and if you are eating at the table it is hard to use it as a prep area. If you don't cook in much then it might not be an issue but we cook when we are there.
The dishwasher is awkwardly located. My friend said that a water ends up on the floor as you bring the dishes from the sink to the dishwasher.
The lack of space where the lock off area would be was troublesome. We usually set our snorkel bags and rented beach chairs in that area and they missed having that option at Nanea.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I wanted to add some observations about Nanea that our friends offered us after going on WKORV explorer pkg. Their first room was terrible and not clean, as in toilet not flushed after the previous guest used it. The front desk moved them and the room was awful and looked at the electrical area. The noise was so loud they couldn't open the window. They had no lanai as they were in a studio. Why would management give potential customers such a crappy room if you are trying to entice them to buy?
So our friends went down to Nanea where another couple they knew were on an explorer pkg. They had upgraded them to a 2 bedroom so our friends didn't even stay at WKORV. Our friends have stayed with us in building 5 and building 8 at WKORVN. She said hands down they liked our villas better, clearly she didn't experience OFD which is another animal altogether. These were some observations:
The sewer smell was really bad. Our friend who was a guest at Nanea got out of his car and commented on the bad the smell was and the valet acted as though they didn't know what he was talking about. Our friends said that they didn't want to stay on their lanai for very long because it smelled so bad. I was there in Feb and never smelled anything. I was there in Oct 2016 and never smelled anything either. So is it intermittent?
Speaking of eating on the lanai, they said there was no light on their lanai. They brought a lamp out on the lanai so they could see what they were eating.
She hated the kitchen layout. The counter space is too small and if you are eating at the table it is hard to use it as a prep area. If you don't cook in much then it might not be an issue but we cook when we are there.
The dishwasher is awkwardly located. My friend said that a water ends up on the floor as you bring the dishes from the sink to the dishwasher.
The lack of space where the lock off area would be was troublesome. We usually set our snorkel bags and rented beach chairs in that area and they missed having that option at Nanea.

The smell is not continuous. It depends on wind, and perhaps processing by the waste treatment plant. It could go from bad to no smell at all. It was really bad a few times.
Note: the smell is beta-mercaptoethanol which has different sensitivity between individuals. My sensitivity is much more than Robin’s.
I am familiar with the smell from my experience with protein electrophoresis (biochemistry).

We spent no time on the Nanea balcony (unlike our WKORV stays).
Mainly because it wasn’t conducive due to overall noise (and occasional smell).

The lack of counter space was an issue. In fact, it lead us to cook less often (that and the BBQs were quite a distance away. Just making coffee took up the only usable counter space.

The soaking tub (IMO) is a waste of space - and the moving wall between the bedroom and bathroom is a bad design (although it looks cool). I don’t want to sleep with an open bathroom area, and getting up at night to use the toilet for Robin is a hassle (move wall from corner, and cross bathroom in dark). Bad design.

We did like the pantry area.
The couch was more comfortable than our WKORV couch.

The parking fee...
it costs $15/day to self-park (this totally sucks). The valet is only $5 more, but personally do not want to depend on the valet to pickup/dropoff our vehicle. And the tipping that goes along with it...
And certainly do not want to pay $15/day to self park.

I like the foyer of the WKORV villas - it gives separation from villa and hallway noise, and makes it feel more secluded. We never hear anyone in our WKORV villa except occasionally the people in the adjoining lock off coming and going.