• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Nanea - observations

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just submitted my 2300 word review for TUGGERS. Some general comments: supposedly only 1/3 full, a large shallow pool (4ft max), and two "plunge" pools, for those needing a more traditional adult pool, WKORVN and WKORV is close but a little bit of a walk since separated by the park. The non-lock off units I know were dictated in building, but that lack of flexibility, higher maintenance fees, and non-mandatory status makes a purchase here not a good choice from my perspective. Our guests periodically did smell the sewage and asked us, so definitely noticeable at times.

Only Oceanfront and resort view categories with many resort views having ocean views. The building 3 ocean front units however are set back a ways too.

This resort will have transformation as it completes the other 4 buildings, adds additional items to the marketplace like fresh meats, etc.

Nice addition, but I personally wouldn't want to own here.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I can easily smell the sewer plant emissions (often) from the north-side of WKORVN when walking north along the path - so of course the odor will be at Nanea.
I am sensitive to the sewage smell of beta-mercaptoethanol (BME) - perhaps due to the hours in labs using BME for cell culture and protein denaturation. Robin is less sensitive. Not everyone has same sensitivity to smell BME (not unlike asparagus...).

BootCampChick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just submitted my 2300 word review for TUGGERS. Some general comments: supposedly only 1/3 full, a large shallow pool (4ft max), and two "plunge" pools, for those needing a more traditional adult pool, WKORVN and WKORV is close but a little bit of a walk since separated by the park. The non-lock off units I know were dictated in building, but that lack of flexibility, higher maintenance fees, and non-mandatory status makes a purchase here not a good choice from my perspective. Our guests periodically did smell the sewage and asked us, so definitely noticeable at times.

Only Oceanfront and resort view categories with many resort views having ocean views. The building 3 ocean front units however are set back a ways too.

This resort will have transformation as it completes the other 4 buildings, adds additional items to the marketplace like fresh meats, etc.

Nice addition, but I personally wouldn't want to own here.

Hi luv_maui, thanks for posting your review of Westin Nanea and the link to your photos. Very enjoyable (and helpful)!

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
where is your review??? would like to read it.

I went on Trip Advisor, and apparently almost everyone who stayed there since it opened just love it. Fantastic! Can't wait to go next year....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
farsighted99 - The reviews are linked at the top of the page under Resort Reviews, but this is a member's only section.

dss

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are wrapping up our week here at WKORV and did the owners tour, including a stop at Nanea. A few thoughts to add to the mix, taken with a full disclaimer that some of this was told to us be our VSE sales rep.

- While there is reciprocity with all the pools right now, they are planning to discontinue that once Nanea is completed and that that a distinct property. Personally I don't see how they enforce that unless they go full wristband, but as a South owner, I think that's great as I think most people wind up at "our" pool anyway
- They are definitely making it a more of an "aspirational" property. The unit furnishings are a bit more modern/higher end, the TV's in all rooms are much larger. Beautiful full dinner tables on the lanai (though I still prefer the lounge chairs we get in OFD at South). There is a nice "walk in pantry" in the kitchen, etc...
- That all being said, to echo the sentiments above, I wouldn't want to own here. Beyond the obvious (it's voluntary, and no lockoffs), the lack of sleeper sofas means these these units sleep less than units at the other properties.
- Rep claimed that they were 25% sold already, which I find very hard to believe. The tour was a bit of a harder sell than i'm used to for owners update (we got the full touring experience with the "closer" and the explorer presentation at the very end) but nobody could give me a satisfactory explanation why I should move from a mandatory property to a voluntary property and into a unit that holds fewer people and can't be locked-off. They are banking hard on the "new shiny object" sales approach, and that certainly will appeal to some people.
- Since there was a lot of recent talk of pool access. The pool is somewhat small (at least to me) and they added two smaller plunge pools in an interior courtyard with a lot of chairs back there. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I noticed a LOT more gazebos in general this time at the property, a well as huge increase in the amount of the "two chair" rentals with the awning you pull over. FYI The Gazebos at Nanea were also overproduced imo. They come with a fridge, a large flas screen TV and a couch area, but only space for two lounge chairs. And they cost twice ($250!!) what the four lounge chair gazebo's cost at WKORV for a daily rental. We didn't see a single gazebo occupied but I'm sure that some of the people willing to pay $120k for a week there won't blink at another $250 for a daily gazebo rental.

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a seven night stay at the Westin Nanea. The landscaping, building exterior, and interior design looked great. The resort is still under construction, but the exterior scaffolding at the uncompleted sections have been removed. Construction noise wasn’t too bad, but for short periods of time we could hear sawing, hammering, and drilling.

I reserved a three bedroom unit and a two bedroom resort view unit using StarOptions for our party of eight. I requested Building 1 and received 5th floor units in this building. It seemed like the three bedroom was about the same size as the two bedroom unit with the exception of the added third bedroom and foyer. The three bedroom corner unit had 3 king beds in each bedroom, a very large foyer, and an oceanfront facing lanai.

Unit 1512

Unit 1509

Initially, I was concerned about the lack of kitchen counterspace, but the table in the middle of the kitchen worked well for prepping a meal for eight. It was a small inconvenience when trying using multiple appliances at the same time because it was hard to fit and operate a blender, rice cooker, and can opener in the short counterspace between the sink and stovetop. It was nice having an oven for baking and warming. Dinner on the lanai with eight people was a little tight, but it was workable, and everyone enjoyed the outdoor dining experience.

Since the resort was not fully complete, the pool area did not seem that crowded. Unoccupied lounge chairs were plentiful, although most of the thatched umbrellas were taken by late morning. The northern courtyard plunge pool/water feature area is projected to open in July. This area will be adult oriented, and the two plunge pools are very small. We tried a few small plate items from the Inu Pool Bar which were ok. The Mauka Makai Restaurant is fully operational, but we didn’t dine there. Overall, we had a great stay, and this resort worked well for our large group.

JulieInCA

Reaction score
We are here right now and in the same room 1509 as shown above. I love this room and the view is amazing! Pretty good for "resort view." It is going to be a great week!

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
I grabbed an exchange into a two bedroom for October and I have until tomorrow to cancel it. Does anyone know when the resort is supposed to be complete so that there is minimal construction noise? Any advice on requests for the two bedroom view, or do I just request ocean view and high floor and hope for the best? For those of you who have been here, do you think that it's a good exchange? I might get the E-Plus option in case a two bedroom opens up at North or South.

I wasn't sure where to ask these questions...there are a lot of threads about Nanea :). I want to see it and experience it, but I also love my home resort (WKORV), so am partial to the convenience of the original timeshares.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It won't be complete until 2018, but the major construction is done for the most part. You probably won't be able to put in a request until check-in on a II exchange.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It won't be complete until 2018, but the major construction is done for the most part. You probably won't be able to put in a request until check-in on a II exchange.

Thanks, Denise. When in 2018 is it supposed to be complete?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't think a firm date has been published

Rasputinj

Reaction score
When I was at Nanea a week ago they were saying completion would be in October. I think with the layout of Nanea don't hold out hope for a good ocean view. I did not like there was not a drink of the day there and the restaurant while it was nice was a bit overpriced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
No 'Drink of the Day'?
That will change...

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My brother-in-law and family were at Nanea last week and they loved it! They got an oceanview unit (we bought them a week when it was "on sale" on Interval) and they thought it was every bit as nice as their stays with us in WKORVN. They had no problem getting a palapa overlooking the beach every day.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My brother-in-law and family were at Nanea last week and they loved it! They got an oceanview unit (we bought them a week when it was "on sale" on Interval) and they thought it was every bit as nice as their stays with us in WKORVN. They had no problem getting a palapa overlooking the beach every day.

Nice to read this. I was wondering if I would be disappointed with Nanea after staying at WKORV for the past 14 years or so, and whether I would be sad to stay somewhere else. I'm planning to go with some good friends and we have two 2-bedroom units right now. Part of me really wants to experience the new resort and part of me just wants the super familiar feeling of my home resort. It's Maui, right, so what's not to like? The drink of the day can be margaritas in my villa :). Chances are I won't have to ask that the mattress be replaced since it will be so new! Is there underground parking?

secord

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WESTIN KVOR WESTIN LAGUNAMAR HGVC FLAMINGO
The parking is in a separate building in front of the entrance to the resort. It is not underground.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
What I didn't consider until seeing the photos is that by not offering lockoffs, they don't need to chop up the lanai. I really, really like that. If it was 2-3 feet deeper it would be even better, but it's still a nice improvement over the other two sections, IMO.

Having a 3 bedroom with 3 king beds is also nice for those traveling with couples, which is my normal MO these days. I actually had to bypass some great rental options for my upcoming trip to Aruba because the 2nd bedroom had twin beds. I'm on vacation in a romantic place with my husband; I'd like to sleep in the same bed, thankyouverymuch.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
What I didn't consider until seeing the photos is that by not offering lockoffs, they don't need to chop up the lanai. I really, really like that. If it was 2-3 feet deeper it would be even better, but it's still a nice improvement over the other two sections, IMO.

Having a 3 bedroom with 3 king beds is also nice for those traveling with couples, which is my normal MO these days. I actually had to bypass some great rental options for my upcoming trip to Aruba because the 2nd bedroom had twin beds. I'm on vacation in a romantic place with my husband; I'd like to sleep in the same bed, thankyouverymuch.

To each his own. I'd rather have double beds in the second bedroom. I have two adult children (boy and girl) and they don't want to sleep in a king bed together. We're getting a 2 bedroom when we go in 2018, and one will have to sleep on the couch. Don't have the points for a 3 bedroom (we bought a 1-bedroom at Nanea, already stretching it).

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
To each his own. I'd rather have double beds in the second bedroom. I have two adult children (boy and girl) and they don't want to sleep in a king bed together. We're getting a 2 bedroom when we go in 2018, and one will have to sleep on the couch. Don't have the points for a 3 bedroom (we bought a 1-bedroom at Nanea, already stretching it).

Understandable. Many hotels solve these competing interests (couples want one bed; others may want 2 singles) by having 2 queens in the same room. Doubt there is room for this in the Nanea layout.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
Understandable. Many hotels solve these competing interests (couples want one bed; others may want 2 singles) by having 2 queens in the same room. Doubt there is room for this in the Nanea layout.
They are all kings. Some hotels have two beds they can put together as one king. That works a lot better. But, oh well.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can anyone recommend a Nanea building to request, assuming that I can even request anything there eventually? The two bedrooms only sleep 6 now? I would retrade to WKORV or WKORV-N, but I haven't seen any two bedrooms show up there, and hardly any one bedrooms either. One advantage to staying there for the first time is that I can take photos :).

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The 2 bedrooms at Nanea are not lock-off, and yes, they do sleeps 6, plus an optional roll-away if requested. They are 1,260 sq.ft. which is comparable to 1,230 at WKORV-N.

If you would like to see pictures, there are a lot of photos in the Nanea photos sticky, at the top of the forum.

nanea_2bd_FP.png

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
nanea.map.png

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks, DeniseM! I did look at the photos and layouts. I am surprised that it appears that the one bedroom villa doesn't have the separate tub and shower, is that accurate? Maybe I was looking at old layouts. And the two bedroom adds on the true Master bathroom side with the separate tub and shower. I love the WKORV one bedrooms and studios that both have the big separate shower and tub. The lanai looks narrow, as people have pointed out. I think I'm excited to try something new, maybe :rolleyes:.