• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Los Cabos

Watford

Reaction score
Thinking of going there this year and wondered if anyone new the answer to these questions:

Is there a shuttle from the airport to the hotel?

Are there any good restaurants/ casual dining at the resort or close by - are prices reasonable?

Is there a grocery store nearby that you can purchase drinks / basic food for breakfast/ snacks

Is it far to the major towns and what is the best way to get to them - don’t really want to use the local bus

Does Uber operate in the area

We have been to the Westin in Cancun a few years ago - how does it compare

Many thanks

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We stayed at Westin Los Cabos last February and will be back in about 10 days.

The Westin can arrange airport to Westin transport through Baja Pacific - $80 per vehicle each way/ $155 RT, I think. Large SUV. You can also take a cab.

The resort has several restaurants - El Ciruelo is fine dining with great views; Cocina Casera has a great breakfast buffet (that you can get for $5/pp if you are Marriott/SPG Platinum or higher) as well as lunch/dinner; Coralline is a beachfront casual spot open 11am until 6pm; and there is the La Cantina Sports Bar. Also a pool bar with a swim up bar. Great margaritas. All other restaurants are a cab ride to the other resorts along the coast or in the two towns - Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo.

Mercadito is the onsite store/convenience store that has some basic food staples, wine, toiletries etc. Typical high resort prices, but with the almost free breakfast buffet and the many restaurants on site and in the area, we had no need to buy food.

The two towns - Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo are each a 15-25 minute cab ride. That's how we went there. Cabo San Lucas is about $35/US each way. San Jose del Cabo is $25/US each way. I don't think Uber is allowed in the area.

Never been to Cancun, so can't compare the two. Here is a link to a thread I posted about our stay at Westin Los Cabos last February
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/westin-los-cabos-resort-outstanding.269673/

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We were in November, and we enjoyed our stay. Overall we preferred Los Cabos because of the sea life and lower density than Cancun.
Here are my answers:

Is there a shuttle from the airport to the hotel?
As JimInNC said, the hotel contracts with Baja Pacific. The fees $80 (1-way)/$160 RT are for up to 6 people.
We rented a car and had no problems driving around the area. DH is used to roundabouts.
Some of the highway on-ramps are very short, even shorter than Hawaii on-ramps :D

Are there any good restaurants/ casual dining at the resort or close by - are prices reasonable?
Even tho' there is the Raintree resort next door, we didn't try to seek out their restaurants. The Westin concierge thought Westin's restaurants were better. And I did see several people from the neighbor resorts at the Westin's pool, dining poolside.
Prices are reasonable by resort standards. In town, the restaurant prices are much better.

Is there a grocery store nearby that you can purchase drinks / basic food for breakfast/ snacks
The grocery store isn't stocked as well as at the Lagunamar Cancun resort's store. But prices were not as high. And I did get fresh tortillas from them .
There are 2 large grocery stores , about 10 min drive away, to shop for drinks and food. They are at the main roundabout at the south end of San Jose del Cabo. The Chedraui store is larger, more modern. I can't remember the name of the one on the other side; it has a large green pelican icon. That one is older, and looks like more locals shop there. We shopped there too since it was easier to approach from our direction from resort.

Is it far to the major towns and what is the best way to get to them - don’t really want to use the local bus
San Jose del Cabo hotel zone is about 15-20 minute drive. Cabo San Lucas (aka San Lucas del Cabo) is farther (depending upon how fast you drive :)). The hotel operates a shuttle to both towns, but much more frequently to Cabo San Lucas. I think it was $15 RT pp to San Lucas.

It's about a quarter mile or more from the resort, uphill, to the highway where the buses run. We've seen various bus lines on the highway, and mainly locals at the bus stops.
The buses are not as frequent and organized as in the hotel zone in Cancun.
IMO, very easy to get by without a car in Cancun hotel zone. Much harder & longer taking buses, or more expensive taking shuttles/taxis in Baja.

Does Uber operate in the area
Per our concierge, Uber is operating, expanding more this year. He seemed to be looking forward to it.

We have been to the Westin in Cancun a few years ago - how does it compare
Lagunamar in Cancun is in a dense developed area. The Baja resorts are more far-flung from each other. The terrain is hilly, not flat like on the hotel zone strip.

At Los Cabos, almost every room has a good view or the ocean. Even tho' the pool area is smaller than Lagunamar, it was never really crowded. We saw fewer people out in the public areas, or walking up to the lobby. By contrast Lagunamar's main pool was more congested.
The pool/outside dining service at Los Cabos was light years faster than Lagunamar. During out Lagunamar stay, we had to wait nearly an hour for our food on 2 separate occasions. They definitely had a kitchen problem then; hope they've fixed it.

Los Cabo's 2 bdrm units (at least the one we were in) only had a kitchenette, and was much smaller than Lagunamar's 2 bdrm lockoffs. So Lagunamar definitely has the edge on villa size and interior.

Both resorts had themed nights: Mexican, Italian, Seafood, Steak (at Los cabos).
We ate at the Mexican and Steak ones, which were very good. $20 pp
Per my BIL, the Los Cabos westin margarita was $20, but 80-90% tequila.
He was pretty loony after drinking 2 of them !

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding Uber, members on the Los Cabos TripAdvisor Forum are reporting that Uber is up and running, and working well so far. Uber costs are about 1/4 to 1/3 local taxi fares. They are a little scarce in the morning, but multiply by the afternoon. Almost all are compact cars. There seems to be a lingering question on whether Uber can enter resort properties to pick up guests to return to the airport, so you might want to book the resort airport shuttle.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Jim, do you know if the breakfast is available to Platinum members even if you aren’t staying at the resort?

We will be staying at Grand Solmar at Lands End in December, but plan to visit the Westin for future reference. We may try getting there for the breakfast buffet.

Best regards.

Mike

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Jim, do you know if the breakfast is available to Platinum members even if you aren’t staying at the resort?

We will be staying at Grand Solmar at Lands End in December, but plan to visit the Westin for future reference. We may try getting there for the breakfast buffet.

Best regards.

Mike

As far as I know, the Rewards Platinum breakfast benefit is only available in conjunction with a stay at each property. When we were there last February, the breakfast benefit was a free continental breakfast, or you could upgrade to the full hot buffet for $5/pp per day. It's basically the same deal we enjoyed at the Westin Hilton Head hotel for three weekend stays this past summer/fall.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The hotel operates a shuttle to both towns, but much more frequently to Cabo San Lucas. I think it was $15 RT pp to San Lucas.

Is this new? When we were there last February the only option was a cab. If Westin has a shuttle now, that will be outstanding. For $30 for two people RT, that's half the cost of a cab, as long as frequency is reasonable.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jim, do you know if the breakfast is available to Platinum members even if you aren’t staying at the resort?...We may try getting there for the breakfast buffet.

Best regards.

Mike

Jim, I'm sure you won't have a problem getting a free breakfast buffet. You only have to agree to a "no pressure, information only" 3-hour tour of the resort! ;)
(Enjoy your stay at Grand Solmar. We spend a few weeks there every winter.)

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
What's the beach like? I've heard so many different reports about it being rough and you're not allowed to swim there. Can't seem to get a consistent answer to this question.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
As far as I know, the Rewards Platinum breakfast benefit is only available in conjunction with a stay at each property. When we were there last February, the breakfast benefit was a free continental breakfast, or you could upgrade to the full hot buffet for $5/pp per day. It's basically the same deal we enjoyed at the Westin Hilton Head hotel for three weekend stays this past summer/fall.

Thanks Jim. That makes sense. Either way, we look forward to visiting the resort while we are in the area.

Jim, I'm sure you won't have a problem getting a free breakfast buffet. You only have to agree to a "no pressure, information only" 3-hour tour of the resort! ;)
(Enjoy your stay at Grand Solmar. We spend a few weeks there every winter.)

PamMo, you are right :) With regard to Grand Solmar, we have visited once before and couldn't pass up a trade when I saw it. Looking forward to it.

Best regards.

Mike

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
What's the beach like? I've heard so many different reports about it being rough and you're not allowed to swim there. Can't seem to get a consistent answer to this question.

When we were at the Westin Los Cabos last February, I saw several brave souls venture in to the very rough surf in front of the resort, but the waves look powerful and the surf is very rough, so I would never want to venture very far into the water myself. We did enjoy the free beach chairs/umbrellas and the waiters bringing us drinks! And the beach just down the coast on the other side of a rock outcropping is beautiful. See some of the pics spread through this thread: https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/westin-los-cabos-resort-outstanding.269673/

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The beach in front of the Westin is gorgeous, but almost always flies a black flag (no swimming). Staff walks the beach and strongly discourages you from going in the water. That doesn't mean people don't do it, but there is a wicked undertow and it is not safe for most swimmers. On very unusual calm days, you can sign a waiver and they will let you go in at your own risk, but it's so much safer to go down the road to Palmilla, Santa Maria, or Chileno beaches if you want to swim/snorkel along the Corridor. We've been going to Cabo every year for 15+ years, and someone gets knocked down by a wave and/or swept away to their death every. single. year.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Thanks for the responses - this is why we aren't planning to go there. When I go to a beach resort, I want to swim in the ocean, not the pool. I have a pool at home. Actually, I also have an ocean at home - the Gulf of Mexico is more like a lake - mostly very calm and shallow.

Watford

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses ….very helpful information

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
You need a car but Chileno and Santa Maria are both good for swimming and snorkeling. They have bathrooms but take your own toilet paper.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is there a jet ski rental anywhere near or in the resort?

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Is this new? When we were there last February the only option was a cab. If Westin has a shuttle now, that will be outstanding. For $30 for two people RT, that's half the cost of a cab, as long as frequency is reasonable.

Sorry for late reply. The Westin shuttle was being offered when we were there in mid November. About 6-7 times a day into Cabo San Lucas. And only a couple of times, mainly in late afternoon/early evening into downtown San Jose, for dinner, I expect. Either check-in or concierge gave us a sheet with the departure/return times.

The Cabo San Lucas shuttle dropped off/picked up at the shopping mall adjacent to the marina. For those with rental cars, the hotel recommended parking at the shopping mall parking garage; only a few bucks for most of the day. We did this when we went out on an early morning fishing charter.

Is there a jet ski rental anywhere near or in the resort?

At the Chileno beach, there's a resort on the west side, that was renting little sailboats and other aquatic items. I can't remember seeing jet skis but I really wasn't noticing what they had to offer. We enjoyed Chileno beach, and was also fortunate to see the lifeguard releasing baby sea turtles on the beach. A real treat.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will be at another resort in Los Cabos later this summer. Does anyone know if i can go visit Westin Los Cabos while I am there and spend an afternoon at the pool, have lunch etc. I own multiple Vistana weeks, just not Cabos.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I will be at another resort in Los Cabos later this summer. Does anyone know if i can go visit Westin Los Cabos while I am there and spend an afternoon at the pool, have lunch etc. I own multiple Vistana weeks, just not Cabos.

I certainly hope you can not use the pool. One's ownership at one resort should not entitle them to benefits at another, unless one is staying at the resort, without a reciprocity agreement in place such as that with the Vistana Maui resorts.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Pool use should not be permitted in these circumstances. But they will always take your money for lunch!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You could book the cheapest villa possible for a Mon, Tue or Wed and get use of the facilities for two days. That is what I would do, if available.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be staying at Grand Solmar at Land's End in a 2 bdr penthouse. That resort is, from what I read, very nice so it is not like we will not have access to a pool in Cabos. It is more curiosity in case we want to return to Cabos and stay at the Westin. Maybe we will go just for lunch or dinner or maybe we will just skip it this time, it is a bit out of the way since Solmar is right near the marina.

Last edited: