TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $11,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $11Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Westin Los Cabos Resort - Outstanding!

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by JIMinNC, Feb 12, 2018.

1. vice

vice TUG Member

Jim, Thank you for getting me excited about Westin Los Cabos. I was also looking for a Hawaii alternative that had beach, pool, golf, whales, and good weather in winter without the extremely long flight from the east coast.

2. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

@JIMinNC How did you get the $299 travel package? We have gotten snail mail offers for Maui but they state that you are not eligible if you are an owner.

3. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    We received a snail mail mailing last spring offering the $299 4-night Los Cabos package. I've assumed that came from direct mail marketing to my wife's SPG account. We are not currently Vistana owners, so any owner prohibition would not apply to us.

CalGalTraveler likes this.
  4. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    It is truly a great place and great location. In Maui, we've never seen as many whales from our balconies as we saw in five days at the Westin Los Cabos. They truly do love the area right there in front of the resort.

The golf courses also looked great, and we definitely will plan to play on our next trip. We just decided this time to focus on learning all we could about the area.

They have two main pools - a bigger one with a waterfall for families and, one level farther up, an adults pool with a swim-up bar (and great margaritas - two-for-one happy hour from 1pm until 2pm). These infinity pools are really beautiful. There's an even smaller, quieter adults pool one level above the pool with the swim up bar. I've attached two photos of the bar and the main adults pool. There's also a large hot tub between the two main pools.

They also have a great breakfast buffet. My wife's SPG status got us a free continental breakfast every morning, but we could upgrade for $5 US each to the full hot breakfast buffet with omelet and waffle station.

I was really surprised how low the resort occupancy seemed. The restaurants were not crowded, nor were the pools and beach. On the way out, the bell manager asked that we review the resort on TripAdvisor because they need to boost their business. They've only been open about 8 months and have a lot of units/points unsold, so it may not be surprising that occupancy is still low. But I'm wondering if the negative press and travel warnings about Mexico (some of which I'm wondering if they are politically motivated) are hurting tourism there? Having never been to Mexico, we didn't know what to expect either, but the Mexican people were absolutely wonderful and so helpful and friendly. We never felt unsafe anywhere we went in Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo.

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1961.JPG

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Sunshine10, CalGalTraveler and dsmrp like this.
  5. dsmrp

dsmrp TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
    Thanks Jim for the pictures and descriptions of this resort.
    As I said, I got an II exchange in November and am looking forward to this more than ever.
    II has 2 bdrm units available, but those are in the lower season summer or early fall.

I will have to go back in the winter time (2020 LOL) to see the whales.
    I never seem to be going to Hawaii at the right time to see them.

6. Karen G

Karen G Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
    Be sure to post a review on TUG, too!

7. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    I plan to. Maybe tonight.

Karen G likes this.
  8. okwiater

okwiater TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
    WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
    WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
    SMV 2B Plat+
    Sheraton Flex (x2)
    JIMinNC, thanks for sharing so many details about your stay at Los Cabos! We live on the east coast too and are excited about this new destination. The photos look fantastic.

Possibly. But it’s important to keep in mind (and to inform or remind other travelgoers!) that the State Department has classified Mexico as a “Level 2” country, which is the same as Spain, France, and the UK. No need to speculate about political motivations for the travel warnings (also, doing so may run afoul of forum rules.)

9. Tucsonadventurer

Tucsonadventurer TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
    This looks amazing.Thanks for the pictures. I am surprised that interval rates it premier . It certainly looks like it deserves an elite rating. .

10. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    Review submitted!

Karen G and lorenmd like this.
  11. alexadeparis

alexadeparis TUG Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Points: Shell, Wyndham ODD, Starwood EVEN, Hilton EVEN, Hyatt ODD, Annual: WSJ, TPU
    Here are the points charts for both phases at the Westin Los Cabos (ignore Lagunamar at the top)

Attached Files:

12. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    Note that my comments in this thread relate to the first chart for the Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas and Spa (the renovated former Westin hotel). The second Los Cabos chart on that page is for the adjacent Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas and Spa - Baja Point. That's the former Grand Regina resort whose owners have recently been offered the opportunity to become Vistana members, which was discussed in this thread -- https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/bajapoint-los-cabos-conversion-to-vistana.266195/

13. Karen G

Karen G Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
    I just read your review & it's a great one! Thanks for writing it.

14. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    Valid point that the actual travel warning status for most of Mexico is not that much different than other places. But based on comments I’ve read and heard online, from friends, and in the media, I think there is a perception by a lot of folks that the security/risk environment in Mexico resort areas is a bigger issue than it really is. It’s less important whether that perception is caused by politics, sensationalized media reporting, or something else. But it may be hurting tourism. Even outside of the resort, we were somewhat surprised that restaurants and other activities in Los Cabos did not seem any busier than they were, in what should have been a peak season.

15. travelhome

travelhome TUG Member

Thanks for the great reviews and pictures.

We just exchanged into this resort for late August, so no whale watching... :-(

Do you know where to find a resort map? Our unit will be 1316. Is this at a good ocean view location or somewhere being blocked by other buildings?

16. carpie99

carpie99 TUG Member

Every room has a clear ocean view ... it is beautiful there.

17. travelhome

travelhome TUG Member

Great! Fingers crossed, as I read reviews that some of the rooms in one side of the building would be blocked by another resort next to Westin.

If unit 1316 is at 13th floor, we should be fine. If it is at the 3rd floor, :ponder: not sure ..... but may also depend on where the unit is located on that level...

18. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    Our unit was 7th floor and was 1732. So based on that, 1316 will be 3rd floor. Not sure where in the building 1316 is located, but all suites do face the ocean.

How do you know your room assignment already? I was under the impression that actual room assignments are not made until right before check-in since all of the units at Westin Los Cabos are in the Aventuras Trust and Vistana controls the inventory. If this was an exchange, I would be surprised if the unit you get is the exact unit that was exchanged.

19. travelhome

travelhome TUG Member

Thanks for the info!

In my exchange confirmation from II, it says "unit 1316". I was also surprised to see that it was so specific. :ponder: But it was listed there....

I hope we could get a higher floor at check-in. Late August may not be a high season, right?

20. Maui_ed

Maui_ed TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WPORV, WKORV, WDW
    Is there a grocery store nearby, or is grocery delivery available?

21. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    That may not mean they keep you in that unit. Many II confirmations will list the specific unit. I think Royal Resorts also listed the specific unit. It is just the unit that was actually deposited.

22. travelhome

travelhome TUG Member

Good to know. Thanks! So we may get a different unit, hopefully at higher floor. :whooopie:

23. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 50,000
    Royal Solaris San Jose del Cavo
    I have never stayed there but I have stayed at the RVC/Club Regina next door. The simple answer is no. You are several miles from a regular grocery store. You can take a taxi, rent a car, or if adventuresome you could walk the mile or so to the Highway and take the local bus. You are slightly closer to San Jose del Cabo than Cabo San Lucas. As for delivery I have no idea as we always rent a car in Los Cabos and so driving to the grocery store is no big deal. Sometimes you can work a deal with your ride from the airport to the Resort to stop by a grocery store.

24. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

From what I have read, tourism to Mexico is at an all time high, but so is the development of new resorts. All the major resort companies all over the world are expanding in Mexico. So another possible explanation for low occupancy is increased hotel rooms and hotel competition. Plus high season in Christmas through Easter so if you go outside that period, occupancy will be lower.

25. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott:
    Maui Ocean Club
    Waiohai Beach Club
    Barony Beach Club
    Destination Club Trust
    HGVC:
    HGVC at Sea World
    We were there in Mid-February, so that is prime time high season. That's why I was surprised that the resort did not seem crowded at all. As we were leaving, when we mentioned we loved the resort and our stay, the lead bellman even asked us to do a TripAdvisor review to help them get a boost as things were slower than they would like.