• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Los Cabos Resort - activities and other questions

DTD1990

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was fortunate to get a 10-day reservation in Cabo next summer (June 2020) in a 3 bedroom l/o plus an additional 1 bedroom studio. I used my points from my ownership at the Westin Laguanamar to try Cabo for a change.

Questions:

I am looking for some off-property activities. In Cancun, we have enjoyed ziplining (Selvatica and XPLOR) and the water activities at Xel Ha. We also enjoyed touring Isla Mujeres by golf cart. We are looking for similar activities in Cabo. For reference we will be travelling with our two teenagers (ages 17 (girl) and 15 (boy)) and likely two of their friends. We have invited another adult couple to use the studio so we will have some adult friends to enjoy the trip with.

In Cancun I never rent a car because of the great location of the resort as the La Isla Mall is across the street and cabs to local restaurants are not cost prohibitive. However, in Cabo the resort is too far to walk anywhere so I am thinking of renting a car - looking for thoughts on this?

Generally, other than breakfast, we eat out, so I am also looking for restaurant recommendations, both casual and some more formal for the adults.

Thanks!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I would rent a car for sure. Uber is starting to become available but cabs are really expensive. It's very easy to drive in the Los Cabos area. You're kind of halfway between San Jose and San Lucas so you can enjoy both areas. San Jose is quieter and San Lucas is more party party.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There are all sorts of activities in the Cabo Area. But unless you like long slow bus rides or taxis or you plan on spending all your time at the Resort you will need to rent a car. All the Activities will provide round trip transportation. There are lots of Adventure activities (Zip lining Plus, snorkel trips, Camel riding, swim with the dolphins, ATVing, etc, etc). We prefer San Jose del Cabo to Cabo San Lucas. If you like noisy, crowded, touristy towns then you will love Cabo San Lucas. San Jose del Cabo is less crowded and more laid back. The best swim with Dolphins is in the Harbour at San Jose del Cabo. The snorkel trips take you to Santa Maria or Cheleno. You can drive to the beaches. We usually get there about 8am. No wind, no waves, and no crowds. Then when the hundreds of snorkelers show up on the boats you can get out of the water and enjoy your time on the sand. There are bathrooms but I recommend always taking your own roll of toilet paper.

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning to head to the Westin Los Cabos for 16 days starting next week (just waiting to see if I get a jury duty summons in the mail on Saturday to book the units...) Has anyone been there recently? We will book 1 week with a getaway, and use 2 ACs for two additional weeks, but stay only 16 nights of the 21. Should I call the resort and let them know (1) we are arriving 1 day late for our first week, (2) we have multiple weeks reserved (3) request a high floor and to stay all 3 weeks in the same unit?

My husband is primarily interested in surfing while there. We know of the surf spots in San Jose del Cabo, zippers, la roca, middles and old man. Anyone know anything about surf spots closer to the Westin or have a surfing company/guide they recommend? He is thinking of hiring a guide for several days and possibly doing a few surfing excursions to other surf spots in the area.

We are planning to rent a car - are there counters in the airport and then shuttle to the lot? Any service better than others?

Any "Must do" restaurants (with open air dining preferred!)?

Any "Must do" excursions (assuming they are running)?

Closest/best grocery store to shop at?

Any other advice? Thanks! Tracy

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I would rent a car in advance and then get the shuttle. I've used Alamo and Hertz with good success. Keep in mind, they will have OPCs even at the rental office trying to get you to tour a property. Just decline.

There are a couple of nice grocery stores just as you're exiting the road to the airport.

There are so many restaurants in the area it would be hard to recommend any without knowing what kind of budget you're talking about. There are very good casual places and beautiful pricey places. I'm heading down in two weeks and don't really know what to expect with the current situation as far as what's opened and what's closed. We are just making this more of a hang out at the resort vacation rather than mingling.

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would rent a car in advance and then get the shuttle. I've used Alamo and Hertz with good success. Keep in mind, they will have OPCs even at the rental office trying to get you to tour a property. Just decline.

There are a couple of nice grocery stores just as you're exiting the road to the airport.

There are so many restaurants in the area it would be hard to recommend any without knowing what kind of budget you're talking about. There are very good casual places and beautiful pricey places. I'm heading down in two weeks and don't really know what to expect with the current situation as far as what's opened and what's closed. We are just making this more of a hang out at the resort vacation rather than mingling.

Thanks for the input! I'll post an update on the resort when we get there (fingers crossed no jury duty!) so you get a preview of what to expect. We are casual people for the most part. Husband rarely is out of shorts and T-shirts year-round, so good casual places are preferred.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Thanks for the input! I'll post an update on the resort when we get there (fingers crossed no jury duty!) so you get a preview of what to expect. We are casual people for the most part. Husband rarely is out of shorts and T-shirts year-round, so good casual places are preferred.

We won't be staying at the Westin but update anyway. We are at Grand Solmar Land's End. There is a restaurant right behind the grocery store La Comer (which is probably where you will shop) called Lateral. Very good and totally casual. Zipper's has good bbq and burgers and you can watch people surf.

grrrah

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Nanea
SVV - Key West
Any "Must do" restaurants (with open air dining preferred!)?

Any "Must do" excursions (assuming they are running)?

for restaurants, I really liked Aqua at the Palmilla not to far up the road.

for activities, the big one is ocean fishing on a charter boat. I've done ATV tour which was fun but a bit further away.

twise625

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the plug got pulled on this one. My office manager came down sick over the weekend and is having to quarantine so I have to stay and run the office. Gotta love the flexibility of cancellations on Southwest Airlines! My husband decided he did not want to go on his own and rent car, arrange surf lessons, etc. I'm working on booking him a 2 week surf trip to Sayulita Mexico that will include transportation, lessons, hotel, and some food as an alternative while I hold down the fort at home...hate to see those ACs go to waste though! It was pulling a 2 bedroom at the Westin Los Cabos for just $209 for the week...