TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Westin Lagunamar platinum season trading power in Interval International

Discussion in 'Exchanging' started by DannyTS, Jul 4, 2018.

1. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

Hi, i am wondering if it is worth paying the II annual fee to register my resale platinum WLR 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom lockoff. I would not deposit a 2 bedroom condo, probably just a studio and /or a 1 bedroom. We would like to get 1 bedroom+. Does WLR have a good trading power? I am somewhat interested in other Vistana resorts (not too much though since we have SOs from another resort) but more interested in Marriott (Aruba?) and equivalent. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  2. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

If you want to trade for Marriott, you need a Marriott trader, because Marriott deposits have priority for Marriott exchanges.

A Lagunamar studio or 1 bedroom will not be a strong trader for Marriott.

3. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

Does it matter which Marriott trader or pretty much any Marriott does the trick?

4. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

If I understand things correctly, that's not the way it works at WLR, at least not for points ownerships. If you want to trade with I.I., I think you must contact Vistana, and they will select a unit & time period to deposit for you. Could be wrong, though. We own at WLR, but have never used it as a trader.

5. dsexton

dsexton TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Beach Quarters, RiverPointe, Westin Lagunamar, Sea Scape Beach and Golf Villas
    DannyTS -
    I own a 2-bedroom lock off Gold Season that I bought resale. We intended to use it every year, but it just hasn't worked out that way. I've had it deposited with II and traded it several times (locked off studio and one bedroom separately) and it seems to do well. Below are examples of trades:
    Embarc Palm Dessert
    Bay Gardens Beach Resort (St. Lucia)
    Cabo Azul (San Jose Del Cabo - Nicest resort I've ever stayed !)

6. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

7. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

this is good news. all my weeks are platinum so i should expect better trading power, right? I am editing the title, i obviously left out a very important detail.

8. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

You can still deposit a specific size, and you get the blended trading power of that size in your season. So with his 2 bed lockoff, the OP can get either:

A) blended platinum 2 bedroom

Or

B) one or both of a blended platinum studio and one bedroom

9. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

By reading other threads, my understanding is that Vistana does not allow you to deposit a specific week, your trading power will be based on the resort, size and season only. The disadvantage is that you may lose some trading power in case you had a great week booked. The advantage is (someone please confirm) that regardless of how late you deposit, you still get the same TP.

10. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

Exactly. I think the system works fine, it hurts those who would maximize the last bit of trading power, benefits owners who want to personally use prime weeks, and benefits those who want to deposit late.

I was responding to someone who said they didn't think you could lock off and deposit, which isn't true.

11. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

do you know how late in the year can you deposit a Vistana resort? my understanding is that you can deposit as late as the end of the season you own.

12. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

any experience anyone about how soon after opening the II account you start receiving Accommodations Certificates?

13. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

I thought it was the end of the year, but it may be the end of the season you own. I have deposited a SDO 1-52 after Christmas, past the final check-in date for my season, but that season does include the last week of the year.

Lagunamar plat includes week 52 (sort of) so you should be able to deposit right until the end. I wouldn't wait until Dec 31st in case there's an issue that needs to be sorted out, but last week of Dec should be fine.

14. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

I do not think that i would wait that long. Would the deposit count for an exchange during the same calendar year or for the next 12 months?

15. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Exchange is good for when you deposit plus 2 years after usage year. So if you are depositing a 2019 week today, it is immediately available for use now, plus all of 2019 and until Dec 31st 2021. Technically you have 4 years if you had deposited on Jan 1st, 2018 for 2019 week, expiring on Dec 31st 2021. This is true for blended weeks. If you own a fixed week, then it will be 2 years after the anniversary of the fixed date.

16. VacationForever

They are randomly dropped across all II accounts.

17. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

It sounds good!

18. DannyTS

DannyTS TUG Member

I assume that an extension fee is needed for 2020 and 2021?

19. VacationForever

Nope. Free, it is automatic.

DannyTS likes this.
  20. TravelTime

TravelTime TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DVC (AK, VGF, VGC, Poly, Aulani), WKOVRN, Four Seasons, MVC Trust Points, MVC Marbella and Ko Olina (enrolled weeks)
    I just got 2 ACs from II at the same time this summer - one runs from July - Dec and the other from July - Feb. I opened my II account at the end of last year. The two ACs have different resorts, even for the same month. The one that ends on Feb had better trades available so I used that one for an exchange next month. The one ending in Dec does not have much good inventory associated with it. Is it common to get 2 ACs at the same time? Also, is it typical that ACs have different inventory associated with them?

21. NiteMaire

NiteMaire Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grand Ch√Ęteau,
    The Colonies at Williamsburg
    Most, if not all, Marriotts will work...especially if it's platinum week (though Gold week owners have success). If you search the Marriott forum, you'll see this topic has been covered several times.

The 2 most recommended Marriott properties for trading are Grand Chateau and Grande Vista. I purchased a 3BR LO at MGC for that purpose. I have received wonderful trades with it (Hawaii, Caribbean, etc). There are other traders as well, but either of the 2 I mentioned will get superb trades into Marriott properties.

DannyTS likes this.