TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Westin Kierland SO use at Kaanapali

Discussion in 'Vistana Signature Experiences (formerly Starwood)' started by kenme111, Mar 13, 2018.

1. kenme111

kenme111 Guest

First time post and could not find an answer to my question in the forum, sorry if already answered. About to pull the trigger on a 2bd Gold season at WK with 81k SO for $3.2k with the intent of mainly using for at one of the Westin Kaanapali resorts. Question is how hard is it to find availability 8mo out in Kaanapali, is it difficult or rather easy? My spouse is a teacher so our vacation time is limited to when schools are typically out. Thanks for any help

2. cubigbird

cubigbird Tug Review Crew Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay
    $3,200 is way overpaying for a resale gold season week at WKV. I would pass and keep looking, or if anything negotiate much lower. I wouldn't pay much more than $1000. Your best bet and the best value is to buy a Plat+ 148,100 Annual week.

heckp likes this.
  3. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

That is my observation too. Alternative is SVV Prime 2BR or 2BR l/o (Key West and Bella) for under 1K. 81K / 95.7K and with lower MF than WKV.

4. carpie99

carpie99 TUG Member

If your vacation time is not very flexible then I wouldn't buy WKV to go to Hawaii. You are going to want the 12 mos window to book. My vacation schedule is very flexible so I am able to use SVV weeks to book Hawaii during shoulder seasons. JMO YMMV.

mauitraveler and vacationtime1 like this.
  5. Tucsonadventurer

Tucsonadventurer TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
    This year there was a lot in June but middle of the summer looked tough. In the southwest when school is out the end of May it is very doable but for areas where school ends the later part of June it is more difficult to exchange at 8 mos out

redslp likes this.
  6. DeniseM

DeniseM Moderator

Kenme111 - Here is why a gold week for 81,000 Staroptions is not a good deal - you are paying the same maintenance fee as someone who buys a Plat week and gets 148,100 Staroptions.

7. Jayco29D

Jayco29D Guest

I agree with all the comments so far. We bought at Westin Kaanapali North Oceanfront to use it ourselves (primarily). The secondary goal was to buy at a mandatory resort so we could get the highest StarOptions of 178,000. This gives us more exchange opportunities to stay in other Westins in Maui, Westin St John and elsewhere. It will be hard to trade with so few StarOptions into other properties that require more StarOptions.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  8. Ken555

Ken555 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Westin Kierland
    Sheraton Desert Oasis
    I don’t typically travel during school vacation but I have had no issues using my WKV staroptions for Maui during the last 13 years. That said, I agree with others that a WKV 81k week is not the best choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. zinger1457

zinger1457 Guest

Maybe I'm missing your point but as long as someone has enough staroptions for the week they are requesting why would it be harder for them to make a trade outside of the location they own then you? Your WKORV ownership doesn't give you any special priority outside of WKORV.

10. Negma

Negma TUG Member

Here is another way to look at it understanding that MF will go up.
    I know you said your offer was 3.2, but to make the math easy using Starwood’s recent sale over 10 years; do the math using your offer ......
    Gold 2 br LO is 5 k plus 16 k in MFs for 21k for 81k in star options a year for 10 years.
    81 k options gets you 7 days in a one bedroom premium. Over 10 years that’s 70 nights or averages 300/ night
    15k for a 2br platinum lock off with same maintence fees over 10 years is total 31k for 148.1 SO. But you get a week in 1br premium and 1 week studio, that’s 140 nights or 221/ night
    Cubigbirds thinking makes more sense if you can afford the platinum week.

SandyPGravel likes this.
  11. GrayFal

GrayFal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Bluegreen WYN WestinStJohn VGV & CV SVV Morritt's Seaside
    I will be looking for week 48-50 in 2019. Is that a doable time frame using SO at 8 months?

12. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

A StarOption is a StarOption. It is not about trading power. If you have enough SO to book and there is availability, then you get to book it.

Jayco29D likes this.
  13. Jayco29D

Jayco29D Guest

I did not mean some resorts with StarOptions have more trading power than others. What I meant is if you have the a lot of StarOptions, you have the best chance to book at other places since you need 178K StarOptions to stay oceanfront in a 2 bedroom at the other Kaanapali resorts and at Westin St. John. You can also split up StarOptions into smaller units and stay at many other places. I probably should not have used the word "trading power" since that is a standard term used to refer to II and RCI. I probably should have said "exchanging opportunities" or something like that. I will go back and edit my post to be more accurate.

14. Jayco29D

Jayco29D Guest

I went back and edited how I wrote this. I mistakenly used the word "trading power" and should have said more StarOptions allow for more opportunities to exchange - not because any single resort has greater trading power - but because if you buy at a mandatory resort worth more SOs, you have more opportunities to exchange because you get more SOs. As far as I know, all SOs are equal in value. You just need more SOs to stay at specific locations, bigger unit size and for ocean views / ocean front views.

15. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OF (Maui)
    WKV x3 (Scottsdale)
    Yes. Weeks 48-50 are low demand weeks almost everywhere -- even WKORV/N.

Full disclosure: we will be competing with you for one of those weeks; fortunately, there will be enough to go around

GrayFal likes this.
  16. GrayFal

GrayFal TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Bluegreen WYN WestinStJohn VGV & CV SVV Morritt's Seaside
    Lol Thanks