• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin Kaanapali

Debbie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow tuggers:

I need some help in clarifying resale ownership at Westin Kaanapali. We would like to buy a 2 bedroom oceanview annual use unit. I believe they are sold as platinum level for 148000 starpoints. What do these starpoints actually mean?
Can the weeks' usage be banked forward a year so that we could use 2 weeks together every other year?

Can specific units be requested when booking 11 to 12 months out the previous year. We have stayed at the resort 3 years ago, like the units along the side in first phase overlooking pool and ocean, close to front as possible. What are our chances of getting one of these units when booking the full 12 months out?

Why is the maintenance fee different for 2 bedroom annual use lockout units?
I have seen these listed for $1275 and $1450 per year.

Can these resale units be traded within Starwood to their other locations?

What is a good price range for these resales of this type of unit?

Thanks for your help

Debbie

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Hi Debbie,

Welcome to TUG! If you haven't already read the Advice section on Starwood at http://www.tug2.net/advice/Starwood_Vacation_Network.htm, that would be a good place to start. I'll try and answer your questions briefly here.

I believe they are sold as platinum level for 148000 starpoints. What do these starpoints actually mean?

They are actually Staroptions, and are Starwood's internal exchange system for booking nights or weeks at Starwood Vacation Ownership (SVO) resorts. A 2 bedroom is worth 148,100. This can be split up, so for 81,000, you can book a 1 bedroom, and for 67,100, you can book a studio. You could go for two weeks and stay in smaller accommodations, or take two vacations. Staroptions can be used at all the other SVO resorts. There is a chart that lists how many options it takes to go to a certain resort. You book at your home resort 12-8 months out and at all other resorts 8-0 months out. You can book less than 7 nights at 90 days out only.

Can the weeks' usage be banked forward a year so that we could use 2 weeks together every other year?

There is currently no banking of Staroptions.

Can specific units be requested when booking 11 to 12 months out the previous year. We have stayed at the resort 3 years ago, like the units along the side in first phase overlooking pool and ocean, close to front as possible. What are our chances of getting one of these units when booking the full 12 months out?

You can request a unit or view, and requests are honored on a first come, first served basis based on your reservation time stamp. 12 months out will give you the best chance of getting what you want, or close to it.

The MFs for deluxe units are higher than regular units. Also, you may see a difference in ads because sellers often may or may not include taxes or SVN dues in the MFs total. Or if it's an ebay ad, it could just be wrong. Current dues are closer to $1450 and rising.

Can these resale units be traded within Starwood to their other locations?

You trade your Staroptions at 8 months or less out for other locations. If you buy at a mandatory resort like WKORV, then, yes, you can do this.

I've seen them range from $32-36K. There was a recent auction on ebay that closed at around $27K, I think.

Read the Starwood advice article for more details on the Starwood system.

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I would just like to add to Denise's excellent information. To have a chance at getting the unit location you want, it is critical to make your Resv. at exactly 12 mos. out, at 8 am ET, (9 am weekends) when the Owner's Resv. office opens in Florida - especially during holidays and summer weeks. There is a lot of competition for the best views, so it is imperative to get your Resv. in ASAP. If you delay, you may end up with a construction view, or other undesirable locations. The units at the WKORV are Ocean Front, Ocean View, or Island View. Some of the Ocean View units have little or no view, so if being really close to the ocean is important, you might want to consider buying ocean front.

The SVO exchange program is a good deal, but exchanging for the most in-demand resorts can be challenging. St. John and Harborside can both be difficult to exchange into.

Last edited:

nell

TUG Member
Reaction score

The MFs for deluxe units are higher than regular units. Also, you may see a difference in ads because sellers often may or may not include taxes or SVN dues in the MFs total. Or if it's an ebay ad, it could just be wrong. Current dues are closer to $1450 and rising

Denise is right about the MF being higher for the deluxe units vs regular units. I think the $1275 is the MF before they raised it to $1450 this past year for the regular 2BR LO. The MF for the deluxe 2BR LO is between $1800-$1900. :( My DH does this :bawl: every year when the MF comes around, then he gets over it when we're there!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Debbie said:
Hello fellow tuggers:

Thanks for your help

Debbie
Congrats on finding TUG - Denise is correct in her responses.

I track SVN mandatory resales - I would say that a WKORV 2Bd LO OceanView (annual float - wks 1-50) are more like $30-32K - the best thing to do is to be patient - track eBay and all the main TS resale sights. I think that the unit Denise refers to was an Island View - which run about $4K less.

I hear that as the year closes out - and MFs are due - more TS are listed for sale - more inventory may translate to lower prices (macroeconomics).

Be careful about the MFs - use current MFs and SVN membership cost ($130) - often those posted on TS sites are old costs (and low!) - and don't forget taxes! I believe MFs are higher than you state in you post - a 2Bd Deluxe unit in 2006 is more like $1800 (w/o tax) - the premium units are ~$1450 (if I recall correctly)

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
blujahz said:
I think that the unit Denise refers to was an Island View - which run about $4K less.

You are right. It closed at $26,100.01, and it was Island View.

I hope that Ocean View units are still selling for $32-35K. Maybe someday Starwood will start exercising its ROFR and the prices will creep up so those of us who bought from the developer see the value go up a little.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
When we were on Maui this summer, we saw many 2-bdm. ocean view units listed with local realtors for $35K, so I think if you are patient, you should be able to get one for less than that. I wouldn't hesitate to make low-ball offers to anyone listing at 35K - the worst thing they can say is no, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
deniselew said:

There is currently no banking of Staroptions.

You can't bank forward but it is possible to borrow what you own next year to use this year. Thus with a 2 BR LO you could stay up to 4 weeks in Maui if you used the current year and borrowed from next year. You separate the lock-off into two separate weeks and book each of them at a different time.

When you borrow you have to pay the next year's maintenance fee up front, before you can make a reservation.

There are a few units in the low 30's at redweek.com. Make sure whatever unit you buy is really an Ocean View or whatever you really want. The lower priced units tend to be Island/Mountain View or the seller doesn't specify what it is.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
emuyshondt said:
You can't bank forward but it is possible to borrow what you own next year to use this year. Thus with a 2 BR LO you could stay up to 4 weeks in Maui if you used the current year and borrowed from next year. You separate the lock-off into two separate weeks and book each of them at a different time.

When you borrow you have to pay the next year's maintenance fee up front, before you can make a reservation.

There are a few units in the low 30's at redweek.com. Make sure whatever unit you buy is really an Ocean View or whatever you really want. The lower priced units tend to be Island/Mountain View or the seller doesn't specify what it is.

Is this also true if you bought resale?

You are correct in knowing what you are buying - it amazes me how many owners either do not know what they are selling, or fail to describe properly.

Also - I always have to chuckle when I see a TS being sold on eBay by 'forsalebyowner' - their prices are outrageous - eg. selling a 2Bd WKORV LO for $45-50K!!! :eek: - I have yet to see a single bid for one of their TSs

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
blujahz said:
Is this also true if you bought resale?

I don't know for sure but I think this is a feature of SVN so as long as you have an SVN mandatory property you should be able to borrow from next year. I'd call Starwood before buying, though, just to verify.

There is a lot of misinformation from various internet opinions and from buyers and sellers truly not paying attention and not knowing the details.

cdirik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Desert Willow
I like to post on this thread after a long time, but this was the closest I could find in search.

We have come across a resale for Westin Kaanapali for 148000 SO's. However if one looks at current resort point chart for Westin, one would need 148100 SO's for 2 BR for 1 week in Westin Kaanapali. I am puzzled with this -100 SO's. How come an owner then reserve 1 week when his account's SO value is 100 options short?

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like to post on this thread after a long time, but this was the closest I could find in search.

We have come across a resale for Westin Kaanapali for 148000 SO's. However if one looks at current resort point chart for Westin, one would need 148100 SO's for 2 BR for 1 week in Westin Kaanapali. I am puzzled with this -100 SO's. How come an owner than reserve 1 week when his account's SO value is 100 options short?
They ad has an error in it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk