• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westgate cancellation

Jenni

Reaction score
Hello I need advice me and my husband regret that we signed for trade off timeshare. We signed on July 19. I wanted to cancel it and we open up with them the MasterCard and had the down payment charged to that card. How do I cancel and stop them from me charging the down payment or any future charges on their credit card.Thanks

Ps this has cause me to have sleepless night and anxiety I want out it as soon as possible.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In your packet, there will be precise rescission instructions. They will be hidden (this is Westgate.) Not sure where you signed (that affects how many days you have to rescind,) but you need to get it in the mail TOMORROW. Be sure to send it someway that proves that you mailed it within the time period. There is great advice, and instructions, in this thread:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...westgate-need-help.274336/page-2#post-2311371

If you have proof that you sent the letter to the correct address within the window, you will be good. They have to cancel it. And then I would cancel the credit card account.

Jenni

Reaction score
In your packet, there will be precise rescission instructions. They will be hidden (this is Westgate.) Not sure where you signed (that affects how many days you have to rescind,) but you need to get it in the mail TOMORROW. Be sure to send it someway that proves that you mailed it within the time period. There is great advice, and instructions, in this thread:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...westgate-need-help.274336/page-2#post-2311371

If you have proof that you sent the letter to the correct address within the window, you will be good. They have to cancel it. And then I would cancel the credit card account.
Thanks do I send the tablet and materials given to me the same address as the letter

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello I need advice me and my husband regret that we signed for trade off timeshare. We signed on July 19. I wanted to cancel it and we open up with them the MasterCard and had the down payment charged to that card. How do I cancel and stop them from me charging the down payment or any future charges on their credit card.Thanks

Ps this has cause me to have sleepless night and anxiety I want out it as soon as possible.
Welcome to TUG. You'll be fine. Read through the thread Amy linked. All the gory details are there, except maybe a template for a letter. It needn't be technical or legalese. Just clearly state that you want to cancel this purchase, and both of you sign it. Your down payment will be refunded to the same card you charged it on. If they opened another one, wait until the refund hits it, empty the account and close it. It may take up to 45 days and Wastegate (as they are known here) are under no obligation to inform you of the progress. No extra charge for the stress. If you can't find the instructions, don't fret, mjust send the letter USPS Certified w/return receipt to the Ocoee, FL address regardless of where you signed the contract.

There is a good chance that they will try to contact you to make 'special offers' and save the sale. No good can come from answering those calls, so ignore all unknown calls for the next 10 days or so.

Best wishes!

Jim

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The first post or two in that thread includes a template for the letter. Breathe deeply--you've got this! (I think I accidentally linked to the second page of the thread; go to the first page of the thread and it's there.)

Jenni

Reaction score
Welcome to TUG. You'll be fine. Read through the thread Amy linked. All the gory details are there, except maybe a template for a letter. It needn't be technical or legalese. Just clearly state that you want to cancel this purchase, and both of you sign it. Your down payment will be refunded to the same card you charged it on. If they opened another one, wait until the refund hits it, empty the account and close it. It may take up to 45 days and Wastegate (as they are known here) are under no obligation to inform you of the progress. No extra charge for the stress. If you can't find the instructions, don't fret, mjust send the letter USPS Certified w/return receipt to the Ocoee, FL address regardless of where you signed the contract.

There is a good chance that they will try to contact you to make 'special offers' and save the sale. No good can come from answering those calls, so ignore all unknown calls for the next 10 days or so.

Best wishes!

Jim
Do I include the account number since I don’t have contract number and as for the credit card. How would I word it since I applied for the credit card on the day we purchased the timeshare and didn’t receive the card yet.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do I include the account number since I don’t have contract number and as for the credit card. How would I word it since I applied for the credit card on the day we purchased the timeshare and didn’t receive the card yet.
Include a COPY of the signature page for ID purposes. They will be able to refund to the correct account. Or if you haven't actually been billed anything, perhaps you can alert the issuing bank that you are rescinding, that you don't want their account opened. The bank is a different entity than Wastegate, and you filled out a separate application. It will have to be cancelled separately, unless you want their credit card. (Which I doubt)

Jim

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
...we open up with them the MasterCard and had the down payment charged to that card....this has cause me to have sleepless night and anxiety I want out it as soon as possible.

Yes, do what the others have told you and this should alleviate the anxieties you are feeling? BTW, what incentive did they give you for opening up this new MasterCard?

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

As others have stated, wait 45 days for refund on credit card. Alert the CC company you intend to cancel and apprise them of the situation. To avoid late/interest charges, ask the CC company to waive late/interest charges or pay a $1 minimum. Worth the hassle to avoid exorbitant late/interest charges.

Jenni

Reaction score
Yes, do what the others have told you and this should alleviate the anxieties you are feeling? BTW, what incentive did they give you for opening up this new MasterCard?
They didn’t charge the $99 for the interval international and no closing cost I believe.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They didn’t charge the $99 for the interval international and no closing cost I believe.
So, the only payment on CC should be the down payment? Definitely call the CC company saying you are waiting for a refund. Maybe they won't require a minimum payment, or even a $1 payment might work.

Jenni

Reaction score
So, the only payment on CC should be the down payment? Definitely call the CC company saying you are waiting for a refund. Maybe they won't require a minimum payment, or even a $1 payment might work.
Yes it just the down payment

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes it just the down payment

You can relax and chill. It appears you rescinded correctly, so try to sleep better.

I rescinded a $5k retail purchase. I've since bought four (4) $1 resale TS, but the TS process fits me. Mind sharing how much rescinded that TS would save you?

Don't buy any TS in the near future, even resale. You first need to figure out if the TS process fits you. You need to book at least six (6) months in advance (for summer dates), up to ten (10) months in advance, and stick to those booked dates. Cancelling booked dates means you potentially lose money and points.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Duplicate post deleted.

Last edited:

Jenni

Reaction score
Thank you to all!! I appreciate I sent it yesterday along with their crappy tablet in separate packing. It says they should receive it July 25.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you to all!! I appreciate I sent it yesterday along with their crappy tablet in separate packing. It says they should receive it July 25.
Great to hear! Did you follow up with the cc company? Do not follow up with the resort or Ts salesmen or saleswomen.

Mind sharing how much the rescission would save you?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will follow up with them. I saved about 10k

Remember contact the credit card company saying you are expecting a refund in 45 days at the most. Ask if the first payment can be waived. If not, offer to pay $1. Say you intend to close the credit card after the expected refund.

Jenni

Reaction score
I contacted them and told them my intend to cancel and told me they can’t accept the $1 offer or waived first payment. Should I dispute it or wait.. I have until August 20 for the first payment

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you rescinded within the legally allowed time frame, and mailed it via USPS Certified Mail, then you need not do anything more. You are off the hook and your relationship with them is now history!

Be sure not to answer the phone from them as it "may" be disguised as a sales call to make a better offer or talk you out of rescinding.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy having saved thousands of dollars.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I contacted them and told them my intend to cancel and told me they can’t accept the $1 offer or waived first payment. Should I dispute it or wait.. I have until August 20 for the first payment
I'd say wait until August 19 for the refund. If not, then on August 19, dispute the cc charges with the cc company, and upload your rescission paperwork. I wouldn't want you to be on the hook for cc interest because the TS resort wouldn't refund within 30 days or before the cc payment's due date.

unicorn213

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
Hi everyone! I'm new to TUG and I'm so thankful I found this forum. I recently purchased a Westgate timeshare and thanks to this forum I was able to rescind on the sale within the allotted 10 days. However, during the sale I applied for the Westgate mastercard in order to pay the downpayment of $800. I called the customer care center for the Westgate Rewards Mastercard and informed them that I had rescinded and would like to close the account. The lady I spoke with stated that she would go ahead and cancel is as per my request and would mail a confirmation letter to my address. However, she stated that the balance of $800 still remains due and the minimum payment of $30 is due on Aug 20th. I know I shouldn't contact Westgate but should I just wait until they issue the credit? Or should I dispute the bill once I receive it? I do not want this to mess up my credit and I don't want to be stuck paying for the $800 that I technically don't have. Any help is appreciated.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi everyone! I'm new to TUG and I'm so thankful I found this forum. I recently purchased a Westgate timeshare and thanks to this forum I was able to rescind on the sale within the allotted 10 days. However, during the sale I applied for the Westgate mastercard in order to pay the downpayment of $800. I called the customer care center for the Westgate Rewards Mastercard and informed them that I had rescinded and would like to close the account. The lady I spoke with stated that she would go ahead and cancel is as per my request and would mail a confirmation letter to my address. However, she stated that the balance of $800 still remains due and the minimum payment of $30 is due on Aug 20th. I know I shouldn't contact Westgate but should I just wait until they issue the credit? Or should I dispute the bill once I receive it? I do not want this to mess up my credit and I don't want to be stuck paying for the $800 that I technically don't have. Any help is appreciated.

Wait until they issue the credit. It could take 45 days. I suppose you can make the minimum $30 payment. Make another purchase for $30 or close to it. Then close the cc account.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

@unicorn213
We hope that your rescission went well and that you are enjoying life without the financial burden of a developer/ resort TS. Solely to track how much TS owners have saved, mind sharing how much you saved with the rescission? As half of all tuggers initially bought developer/resort TS, there is no shaming involved.

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Its very unlikely that the credit card payment would be due prior to getting your refund if you rescind in time. Its 28-30 days from the time you open the card until your statement would cycle, and then another 20 or so days from when the statement period closes to when the payment is actually due.

In the unlikely event that your payment is due and you have not been refunded yet you could dispute the charge with the credit card company and then the payment would not be due until the dispute is resolved. Just remember the credit card is not issued by Westgate, its a partner financial institution. (Comenity Bank)