• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

West 57th Ownership issue

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas,
HGVC MAX, Worldmark, Wyndham CWA
I am posting this for a friend who is trying to assist her parents with their West 57th ownership. Her mother was diagnosed with ALS two years ago and can no longer travel. Somehow they were able to get HGVC to allow them to roll both their 2016 and 2017 unused points to 2018 (apparently there was a fee involved). So at this point, there is 10,100 in their HGVC account, of which 3750 is from 2018 and the rest banked points from 2016 and 2017.

They are working with HGVC on buying the unit back because they will not be able to travel there any longer and were given the following two options:

Option #1

We can cancel your contract and mail you a check in the amount of $9,727.00. If you accept this option, we can send documents within 4 to 5 weeks for both of you to sign and notarize. After the Warranty Deed records, we will cancel the membership and send you the check. You may use the points from 2018 by confirming a reservation prior to the cancellation of the membership. However, do not use the points from 2019 or 2020.

Although you will no longer be a member of HGVC you will be able to keep your Hilton Honors membership according their terms of use and at the tier that you have earned directly with Hilton Honors. If you are interested in this option, please contact us as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that this option may change without notice and is not guaranteed for a future date.

Option #2

We can list your property on the resale market. If you decide that you would like to sell your property on the resale market a listing agreement will be provided to you by email, mail or fax. We work with a network of resale brokers that will advertise to find you a buyer. The suggested listing price range for your property is $12,000.00 to $13,000.00. This is only a suggestion based on current resale market analysis. You may list your property at any price you wish. Please understand that this does not relieve you of any financial responsibility for outstanding loans or fees that may come due on your account during the selling process. The broker commission due on the sale of your Hilton interval will be 25% of the sales price or a minimum of $500.

They are leaning toward Option 1 as the simplest way to get this done before the new maintenance year given that listing it for their suggested price, minus their commission is basically what they are offering to buy it for.

So, the question now becomes how can they use up as many of the points that they have before the contract changes hand, and given that they can’t travel, which means they will need to be reservations for other family or friends, but not a lot of time to do it in. They know that the 2018 points can be used to make HHonors reservations that can later be canceled and the points put back in the HHonors account (yes they know it is not necessarily a good use for them, but at least better than just not using them at all), but do any of you great Tugger minds have any suggestions on how best to get at least some use out of the remaining points from 2016 and 2017? Could they offer to makes reservations to rent at West 57th under the rules since it is their home resort? It would be a lot of rentals to arrange and coordinate and given their situation and probably not feasible given the short window. Is there a way to bank them with RCI outside of the corporate account if they open an individual account etc.? They were told they can make RCI reservations with the points now, but once the reservations are made, they will become "unchangeable" when the unit closes as the corporate account will close down. I don’t think the family wants to make a bunch of RCI reservations (and incur those associated fees) as they will just basically be just random dates and locations that they could not change later. Or is there a way to change them after the corporate account is closed?

The family would be grateful for any suggestions!

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
It sounds like that would be a gold season studio? How much time do they have to respond to HGVC's offer? Enough time to take a flier at trying for a quick sale via Tug or Redweek? There are 2 of these listed on Redweek currently for $12,500. If they could get $11,500 on the private market and get the sale finished before 2019 MF due, they would be up by another $1700.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could they offer to makes reservations to rent at West 57th under the rules since it is their home resort?

According to the rules, they are only allowed to rent a Home Week reservation, and not any others. Despite what the rules say, it is very much possible to rent other reservations to "friends." :)

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I don't think they could sell it quickly unless they are significantly lower priced on Tug and Redweek, so not sure there would be a significant gain vs. the HGVC offer.

The answer ultimately depends on how much effort they want to put into this. I imagine they are stressed with health concerns, so if it were me, I would opt for easy because the difference in return is < 2 - 3k so your friend will better off removing this from their plate and moving on.

Sell to HGVC and convert the points to HHonors or RCI (if feasible). However, make sure that whatever they choose, the points could be used by family or friends without adding more stress.

Last edited:

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
considering there is an ad in the market place for gold season unit the same as the one in the above scenario for $7,800 - and has been unsold since June, take option one. Trying to make more out of it and dealing with the great unwashed public is probably not worth it. Interesting how they have "a network of resale brokers" - me wonders who, and if there is a magic ROFR number they give them.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Also, bear in mind that there are a lot of fees on a real estate transaction in New York.

I think the biggest focus of the poster was how to use up 3750 points before year end.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
To use expiring points (you can't save 'em cuz they're already saved) book something.
for a stay before 12/31. If they can't use 'em themselves, buy a GC for a friend/relate.

Frankly, in their situation, simpler is better. Let HGVC take it back and eat the loss.
<my 2 cents>

ConejoRed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Craigendarroch Lodges, HGVC Bay Club, HGVC GP MarBrisa, Westin St. John, Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Villas,
HGVC MAX, Worldmark, Wyndham CWA
Yes, this is a Gold studio week and I agree that Option 1 is best at this point as it will be over and done with. I have suggested the HHonors conversion for 2018 so that will take care of the 3750 2018 points so what is still outstanding is how to use up the remaining 6,000+ points. My friend lives in So Cal so could book some weekends in Carlsbad if there is availability and she and her family could do some extended weekend getaways, but even doing that will take a few reservations (and the corresponding fees and guest certs). Not a lot of options for using those at this point is what it looks like.

Intheknow

Reaction score
Once the transfer of ownership occurs, unless you already booked the reservations, you will no longer have an HGV account or an RCI membership. The key is to confirm all reservations before transfer of ownership is finalized. Also, anything confirmed is final and you will not be able to cancel because you will no longer have an active membership.