• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Welk Resorts Points Inventory

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Welk Resorts Platinum Owners Association holds fee title (i.e., a deed), a leasehold, or a trust interest in various resorts. Owners in the Platinum Program receive points which are derived from the underlying resort holdings.

The attached table shows the Association's holdings (as of November 20, 2018) and the distribution of points derived from those holds. The table also shows the number of composite units, the number of weeks, and the average points per week for each resort.

The Association reports ownership holdings for nine resorts included in The Collection (these are locations not managed by Welk). Another seven Collection resorts have no holdings reported (viz., Falcon Point, Stoneridge Resort, Pono Kai Resort, The Cliffs At Princeville, Disney Aulani, Disney Saratoga Springs, and Disney Boardwalk Villas).

Source: Public Offering Statement for Welk Resorts Platinum Program

Attachments

• Welk Program.png
    Welk Program.png
    287.2 KB · Views: 106
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Somebody was asking how Welk derives points per unit so as not to sell too many points ownerships. This seems like a pretty good answer to that. Thanks Nuwer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is something in the Program Instruments call the one-to-one ratio. In our case (the Welk Program) it is in the Master Declaration. This is the document that legally creates the the timeshare program. I've seen the same concept in the Diamond Resorts and the Bluegreen documents. It's a bit like a paper currency system under a gold standard. The central bank hold the gold and issues paper at a fixed ratio. To issue more paper, the bank must acquire more gold. In timeshare point systems, the gold is the resort accommodation (i.e. a deeded week or the like) and the paper currency is the points.

Here is Welk's wording for the 1-to-1 ratio:
"A one-to-one purchaser to accommodation ratio must be maintained. This means the ratio of the number of purchasers eligible to use the accommodations of the time-share plan on a given night must never exceed the total number of accommodations of the time-share plan available for use in the time-share plan during that year. A purchaser who is delinquent in the payment of time-share assessments shall continue to be eligible to use the accommodations of the time¬share plan for purposes of calculating the one-to-one purchaser accommodation ratio. (Refer to Business & Professions Code Section 11250.)"

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's another table. This one shows the number of units at each Welk resort and the number and percent owned by the Platinum Program. I was surprised, for example, that the Program controls 70% of the units at LW Villas (i.e. Melody, Broadway and Harmony Hills).

Attachments

• Platinum Ownership Ratios.png
    Platinum Ownership Ratios.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 76
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
Ive been told since I bought in '15 that they were doing away with "traditional" timeshare weeks. And seeing how Branson is 100% points, I'd say they've been pushing points since it opened. I think around 2008? Maybe

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the points system was introduced in 2006 and Welk stopped selling deeded intervals at that time. I don't think there were any deeds at Banson, Cabo, and Mountain Villas -- I don't recall the history at Villas on the Greens. As for LW Villas, all the units were deeded intervals. So, since 2006 Welk has recovered 70% of them, and put those deeds into the Association. I'm sure some of this recovery was through foreclosing on owners who were not paying fees; some from owners who converted a deed to points; some Welk purchased in the resale market. The reason I'm a bit surprised is because other point system don't seem to recover that many legacy deeds. 50% or less are the numbers I've seen after 10 years of recovery -- something more like the Palm Springs number. No big deal, I just thought the LW Villas number would be lower.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
That's cuz Welks point system is the best ;)

Guitarmom

Reaction score
Yes, the points system was introduced in 2006 and Welk stopped selling deeded intervals at that time. I don't think there were any deeds at Banson, Cabo, and Mountain Villas -- I don't recall the history at Villas on the Greens.

Villas on the Greens were all deeded properties, floating weeks, sold in 2001. Adrianne, the long-time Welk staff member who runs food services, mentioned that they oversold quickly and ended up tearing down the existing restaurant to make enough room to build the number of condos they'd actually sold. Too bad, I liked that restaurant better than the too-tony Canyon Grille. I really felt like Villas on the Greens was the sweet spot of ownership if you only went to the Escondido property. You could be there any time of the year. We owned a two bedroom lockoff, and we used it as two separate weeks. Even better, the maintenance fee was much lower than it would be for the 300,000 Platinum Point equivalent.

RunCat

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HPP, Sheraton Flex.
Bought an annual 2-bed LO in Villas on the Greens around 2001/02. Converted to points a few years ago in order to merge accounts with my elderly father who owned a bunch of points. Currently have almost too many points to reasonably use