• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We Heard a Tap, Tap, Tapping......

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I hope it was not symbolic....

There were actually 2 of them up there on the dormer roof. I went up and snapped the picture and then I threw my slipper up at the skylight to scare it off. Then hubby went outside and the slamming of the back door spooked them and they both flew away. They can do severe damage to a roof. I have heard of them making nests on roofs!

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
They can also severly damage vehicles. For some reason, they find the rubber seals around glass appealing and will, well, peel them off. They also like windshield wiper rubber...

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I would rather see your turkey vulture than the spider that just crawled across my security camera and caused an alert!!:eek:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Isn't having a vulture or two circling some kind of omen?
Hey, Mary Ann- Don't worry about that retirement!

Just kidding!

Jim

Iggyearl

TUG Member
Reaction score
How the heck do those claws hold on to the window with that angle? Look on the bright side - the buds are out on the trees....:wave:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
mpumilla, thanks for sharing that photo. I just learned something. There are turkey vultures
in North America and the Caribbean.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
OMG - great pic. I thought for sure when I read the title you were going to mention a woodpecker was found on the side of your house.

We have turkey vultures around here - nasty looking creatures. But, they sure help clean up road kill.

I recall several years - it was a misty/windy day and about 1/2 dozen were sitting on the peek of my neighbors house. They had their wings all spread. I assume drying them off in the wind. What a wing span they have.

I just recall thinking creepy and it didn't help that the owners at that time were just strange. Really gave me the heebie-jeebies!

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
“I think we're in real trouble. I don't know how or why this started, but I know it's here and we'd be crazy to ignore it ... The bird war, the bird attack, plague—call it what you like. They're amassing out there someplace, and they'll be back. You can count on that.” :eek:

Great movie.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a family of red tailed hawks and two adults are huge. Their territory is basically 20 houses on our cul de sac and the woods behind us. We also don't have as many rabbits.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 8 wild turkeys and 2 geese in our background.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We are staying in a VI Resorts cabin at Sunriver, OR. I heard a commotion on the roof of our cabin and went outside to look.

Several of the (many) Canadian geese from the river and golf course had gotten into a tussle on our roof.

geekette

Reaction score
bad situation here just determined - I saw a raccoon climb into my bath exhaust fan vent. Looked up wildlife removal (they are coming tomorrow), tossed some paper towels doused with ammonia up there and have a boom box blaring in the bathroom.

oh please, creatures, Just Leave. Hopefully mama will evacuate babies tonight (aren't there almost Always babies?)

oh yuck. no way I'm sleeping in my bedroom under creatures tonight, I will likely fall asleep watching lame movies on the couch. Comedies, no creepy alien being horror shows.

Maybe if I hadn't taken the lowest bid on the roof job I wouldn't have this problem, or a few others that have cropped up. Lesson most thoroughly learned.

geekette

Reaction score
We have a family of red tailed hawks and two adults are huge. Their territory is basically 20 houses on our cul de sac and the woods behind us. We also don't have as many rabbits.
Yes, I have a massive hawk's nest in my big sycamore tree. I love em, they know it, they will perch on my deck and even my gutter once. I am always thrilled when they bless me with a close up view, altho they have many regular perches on my land. The first time I saw one I thought it was an owl, the adults are indeed Very Large. I love when the big group goes soaring. I spotted 9 in the air one day last summer. It was amazing.

Fascinating mating season this year, very active. LOUD. One particular branch of a big maple out back was a popular hook up spot, just front of the woods.

I look forward to the next time one flies low and shows me fresh catch. Their faces are so fierce but of course it is the talons to fear. Holy moly. No tiny pets for me. I don't think my dog ever cared about the hawks and pretty sure they didn't care about her.

I am hoping to retire in place, I love the nature shows more than I would have ever imagined.

I have exactly one turkey vulture landing in my yard, about a year ago after massive rains, the most full of water my yard had ever been. I was washing dishes and saw some giant dark bird land "in the water". I went out to have a closer look and then started looking stuff up online to ID.

I also have exactly one incidence of weird crayfish in the yard. It looked like an albino lobster, it was that big, and claws waving as my dog went investigating. Only one turtle so far. I almost want to get a security camera just to see what wildlife shows up when I'm not looking.

When I moved in, a peacock had been living on the deck. Pete the Peacock has a back story (don't they all?) and has returned a time or two but not taking up residence.

If I didn't live here, I would never have known why the chicken crossed the road, but it turns out that there was something interesting in the woods (I wasn't going to stop the car to figure out what).

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
bad situation here just determined - I saw a raccoon climb into my bath exhaust fan vent. Looked up wildlife removal (they are coming tomorrow), tossed some paper towels doused with ammonia up there and have a boom box blaring in the bathroom.

oh please, creatures, Just Leave. Hopefully mama will evacuate babies tonight (aren't there almost Always babies?)

oh yuck. no way I'm sleeping in my bedroom under creatures tonight, I will likely fall asleep watching lame movies on the couch. Comedies, no creepy alien being horror shows.

Maybe if I hadn't taken the lowest bid on the roof job I wouldn't have this problem, or a few others that have cropped up. Lesson most thoroughly learned.

That must be a pretty big bath exhaust vent! We have one, but it is small and it is made with a built in screen. The only thing that gets in there are wasps and we have to spray it every year. You need to put a screen on yours or buy one with the screen already built into it.