• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We are eloping in Kauai!

hekela1206

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Hi all,

Any suggestions for us? I wanted to get married on the north shore, Ke'e Beach at sunset and normally I stay in princeville. We plan on going the last week in October!

Has anyone had any luck with getting a cheap jeep rental or hitting up Costco for the week?

Mahalo!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding in Hawaii. Be sure to do your due diligence on having a beach wedding there. Permits and insurance policies are required, so it’s not a simple thing to do. I did it a few years ago for my brother, and it was a hassle.

Cheap Jeep rentals are rare. You have to shop around, but you’re still likely to pay a lot.

Not sure what you mean about hitting up Costco for the week. ?

Dave

hekela1206

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding in Hawaii. Be sure to do your due diligence on having a beach wedding there. Permits and insurance policies are required, so it’s not a simple thing to do. I did it a few years ago for my brother, and it was a hassle.

Cheap Jeep rentals are rare. You have to shop around, but you’re still likely to pay a lot.

Dave

Dave

I thought I read there is a Costco in Lihue?? Is that not true?

I’m using a wedding coordinator to handle all the licensing! They have a lot of beach weddings! Bummer about the Jeeps

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Not sure about cheap Jeep rentals, but we always use Costco Travel to rent our vehicles. Try Discount Hawaii Car Rental too.

There is a Costco warehouse in Lihue, just a short distance toward Poipu from the airport. Definitely worth a visit for some shopping.

Have a great time! Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Best regards.

Mike

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I thought I read there is a Costco in Lihue?? Is that not true?

I’m using a wedding coordinator to handle all the licensing! They have a lot of beach weddings! Bummer about the Jeeps

Ok. Thanks for clarifying. Since you said both things in the same sentence, I thought you meant something about luck with Jeeps at Costco. :) And BTW, generally speaking, the cheapest car rental rates on the island can be found at Costco.com's Travel site. If you know the dates, reserve now, and keep checking back. As rates drop, make a new reservation and cancel the old one. It's often worthwhile to be persistent.

Yes, there is a Costco in Lihue. Cheapest gas on the island, for that Jeep you hope to find. There is no special luck to it - it's a Costco just like the one you have at home. It has more local produce and Hawaiian-themed souvenirs and such, but the main parts of the warehouse are the same as you'll find at home.

If you find the food sizes are more than you expect you'll need, there is a Foodland and a Safeway in Kapa'a, on the way to Princeville. Easy to stop and pick up whatever you might need.

Good that you have a coordinator for the wedding. Things will be fine. When you said "eloping" it sounded kind of spontaneous. :)

Dave

hekela1206

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Thanks!! I didn’t even think of using Costco travel!!! Well eloping in the sense it’s just going to be us! And then do a reception when we get home. Has anyone golfed in Princeville? Is it expensive to rent clubs?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Costco is the best place to buy alcohol. The local Rum is cheaper at Costco than at the Distillery only about 5 minutes away.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Thanks!! I didn’t even think of using Costco travel!!! Well eloping in the sense it’s just going to be us! And then do a reception when we get home. Has anyone golfed in Princeville? Is it expensive to rent clubs?

Golf in Princeville is expensive and renting clubs will likely cost $40-50 per set per day. You can also rent clubs at Snorkel Bob’s, so I would recommend checking them out too.

Costco is the best place to buy alcohol. The local Rum is cheaper at Costco than at the Distillery only about 5 minutes away.

Agreed. However, if you like rum, I would recommend going to the Koloa Rum tasting room and shop located by Gaylord’s. I went last month for the first time and enjoyed the experience. They offer a complimentary tasting session every half hour and the number of guests is limited to about 20 for each session. As I recall, we tasted 4-5 different flavored rums and they shared some information about Koloa Rum and the process.

Best regards.

Mike

hekela1206

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
So shockingly RCI travel has the best price on jeeps, 450 as opposed to 800 for the week! Although I’m not second guessing spending the money on the upgraded car.

Thanks for pointer on golf clubs! We want to make this an economical trip as well!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So shockingly RCI travel has the best price on jeeps, 450 as opposed to 800 for the week! Although I’m not second guessing spending the money on the upgraded car.

Thanks for pointer on golf clubs! We want to make this an economical trip as well!

You need to look at Discount Hawaii Car Rental. I just checked, and they have a Wrangler 2 door through Alamo for a week starting November 10, out the door for $443. www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

Dave

hekela1206

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Thanks Dave! Ill check it out!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that you have told eighty thousands of Tuggers your secret. How can you elope? Wishing you guys many, many Happy Years Together and Good Health.

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Congratulations! Here's another tip on food/groceries in Princeville: we always stop at the Costco in Lihue before heading north to Princeville. As you know, you'll be flying into Lihue so the Costco is very close and much easier to pick up a few food items at a lower cost when you're already there.

If you run out of certain items during the week, there is a nice Foodland market right there in the Princeville Shopping Center--but beware: you will be paying full freight Hawaii prices for groceries at the Foodland.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The free Rum Tasting at the Distillry is fun. Just don't buy the Rum at the Distillery. Buy it at Costco.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The free Rum Tasting at the Distillry is fun. Just don't buy the Rum at the Distillery. Buy it at Costco.

They have certain flavors available at the distillery that they don't sell at Costco. But it's all very good rum, and we bring home a bottle or two every time we go.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
After you make the reservation for the jeep, go to autoslash.com and register your reservation. They will monitor it for you and advise you when it drops. They make their cut on the commission for the rental--not from you. Generally, Costco is the best starting point since they have additional features not found on some other rentals (like a free spouse driver--which you will be !) Also, note carefully whether you want a two-door Jeep or a four-door jeep. BIG difference. If you've never driven a jeep, get a good demo on how to stow the hardtop panels (4 door) or lower the soft top (2 door, but maybe 4 door too).

Costco is in Lihue...shop there first. Safeway (very nice one too) is in the same vicinity (1000 ft away). Get the rest of groceries at SW. The prices and selections in Princeville are a bit more dear and limited.

many blessings to you...

Oh...if you've been there.....I'd suggest a note of caution for you and the guests: if it can blow-away, blow-up (skirts), blow-off (hats) or melt (cake) have a backup plan. I've seen some of the funniest videos of beach weddings being blown-over and rained on! (funny now, not funny then)

cheers.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Generally, Costco is the best starting point since they have additional features not found on some other rentals (like a free spouse driver--which you will be !)
Won't technically be a spouse if they get the rental when they arrive, they are getting married on the island. Good news is though that the free additional driver with Costco rates doesn't have to be a spouse, it can be anyone.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Won't technically be a spouse if they get the rental when they arrive, they are getting married on the island. Good news is though that the free additional driver with Costco rates doesn't have to be a spouse, it can be anyone.

OK..OK. But it sounded neater my way!:p

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Congratulations!