• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We Are Coming for Your Phony Service Animals

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
No one ever said that Emotional Support animals do not offer some level of comfort. However, claiming they are SERVICE dogs, which perform a specific task for their owner and are trained to perform that task, does not make pets that provides emotion support a service animal.

Frankly owners of these ESA type Pets that are NOT trained nor controlled well are what are ruining it for everyone else.

The problem lies in the Services animals are a protected class, and just anyone's pet is NOT. Getting protected class privileges for a pet that does not warrant protected class is the issue.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If given the option, I think I would pay more to be on a flight that is adult only. No kids or animals. I get why people bring animals and kids and I like animals and kids but I don't like them so much on an airplane.

Bill

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I say again, this was not a problem until persons found out they could buy a cheap vest and fly a pet for free. Suddenly a whole new class of ailments can be cured by bringing a pet on board where before, people survived the horrible experience of leaving their pet behind or finding other solutions.

ESA only flights are certainly possible and would likely be priced at 100 times or more the average price of a ticket since flying a 160 passenger plane with 5 or 6 people with their so called ESA at the current fare certainly isn’t going to be economically viable. Additionally, there aren’t enough aircraft in the world to cover the current flight routes with ESA only routes. One could use NetJets or WheelsUp charters if that’s the answer. Actually, I wonder if those operators allow such flying of pets.

Friends of mine fly rescue animals all over the country in their private aircraft on a volunteer basis. I asked if they would transport these ESA if asked and was told if space was available, they would.

The whole idea of non carrier contained or non cargo animals other than true Service Animals aboard a commercial aircraft is rubbish.

Cheers

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh well... I suppose one man's "rubbish" is another man's treasure. ;)

As Mark Twain once said... "He that does not care for flowers calls them rubbish, and cannot tell one from another, and thinks it is superior to feel like that."

Cheers

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I, on the other hand, completely understand the benefit of an emotional support animal.

Having retired from law enforcement, I have seen and experienced both the worst and the best of people. Inside me, the one thing that has terrified me the most throughout life, was a visit to a Dentist. One of those trips you can only put off for so long. Now understand, I'm not talking simple uneasiness or apprehension. My blood pressure would escalate from normal, prior to walking through that door, to a high
of 179/138 on occasion when entering. Taking Valium prior to a visit was the one and only way I could or would do it. I had an occasion that even that didn't work. It became such a problem that my previous dentist refused to perform any procedures. Not even a simple cleaning.
A friend recommended a new dentist that understands this and had a solution. Upon walking into the office, signing in and taking a seat, I was met by two yorkshire terriers who jumped up into the seat next to me. I understood at this point, that this was not going to be just another dreaded visit to the dentist.

I discovered that these two girls make their rounds the same as any dental assistant. If needed, they will stay by your side for any procedure.

Cal this "bs" if you wish however, with a little furry emotional support, I can complete this visit with blood pressure in check and without medication.

Well then everyone's pet is an emotional support animal just as I stated. Everyone should be able to bring their pets on board.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I am sorry I am for banning all nonhuman animals from all means of public transportation other than properly certified and true Service Animals. I understand this means all ESA would be banned.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well then everyone's pet is an emotional support animal just as I stated. Everyone should be able to bring their pets on board.

Since I’m an Emotional Support Animal to my Girlfriends and Kids I think I’ll get a sweatshirt printed with “Emotional Support Animal” on the front and back and fly for free with them:D.

I’ll bring a leash just in case:).

Cheers

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If given the option, I think I would pay more to be on a flight that is adult only. No kids or animals. I get why people bring animals and kids and I like animals and kids but I don't like them so much on an airplane.

Bill

I don't know about kids, but certainly the people who bring pets on board should pay more, not the other way around.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I am sorry I am for banning all nonhuman animals from all means of public transportation other than properly certified and true Service Animals. I understand this means all ESA would be banned.
I don't think a ban on private carriers is needed. I simply think that companies should be allowed to make whatever rules they see fit, including fare differences and identified seating areas, regarding carrying animals (other than true service animals), and for them to be relieved of liability if they deny boarding to someone who claims they are being discriminated against. As regards service animals, they should be free to create whatever requirements they see for documentation that the animal is truly service animal.

If we do that, I expect the market will respond so that airlines will charge a premium for bringing an animal on board, carriers will establish some mix of animal-free flights and designated seating areas with animals.

Responsible organizations will emerge to certify service animals; those organizations will have to do their job because it they don't airlines will stop accepting their certifications. Logically, this would be done by organizations that are legitimately involved with training service animals, and will be a way for them to make some additional money - which will enable them to do a better job of providing service animals to those who truly need them and can help subsidize the placement of service animals with people who need them but don't have financial means.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Fortunately Emotional Support Animals are not acknowledged in the UK for transportation purposes and the only animals allowed in the cabin of aircraft, some trains and some ferries are formally recognised service dogs (I believe the rules are the same for much of Europe).
I have a service dog who is nine months through her twelve month training period (two hour sessions twice weekly), she will undergo an examination and if she passes will be fully accredited. As it is, even in training, every restaurant or store I've entered have allowed her in after I've asked for permission. In restaurants she is trained to go under the table, not to solicit food or attention, most people wouldn't even know she was there and for the most part she uses the opportunity to take a nap. The dogs are trained not to toilet whilst wearing their vests in order that they can relieve themselves at appropriate times and places. Airlines are obliged to accept them on board however you can't just turn up and expect to be accommodated, the airlines require advance notice. The dog is carried free if it can fit under the seat in front (mine can just about) otherwise you have to pay for a seat however most airlines try to place you in the bulkhead seats.

Unfortunately, whilst I can provide her with the experiences of travelling by bus, train and boat there is no way of establishing what her reaction would be to flying as only accredited dogs can be accepted. I know that Qantas Airlines allow dogs on certain flights to establish how they cope but there are no British or other European airlines that offer a similar service. I understand that British Airways are looking at ustilising a simulator at their training headquarters.

The idea that service dogs can be associated with Emotional Support Animals (few, if any, have had anywhere near the training required for a service dog) is one that is unjust and I fully support the ban on bringing any old pet on board an aircraft.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Thank you Heathpack. That's interesting to know although I would have liked the article to have been a bit more comprehensive rather than providing two examples of European carriers particularly as the author states that the rules are different in mainland Europe.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Traveling with your "emotional support animal" without any additional fee or costs is allowed by airline carriers if you have an ESA letter.

American Airlines
American Airlines acknowledges the needs of an individual who requires an emotional support animal or psychiatric service animal. The company requires supporting documents to facilitate the request, such as an ESA travel letter issued within the year of travel.

Delta Airlines
Delta Airlines recommends an early notification about traveling with animals when booking reservations and you can already request for a seat assignment while doing so. The animal, however, will be required to stay on the floor beside the individual’s seat.

JetBlue
As with other airlines, JetBlue’s requirements for ESA travel is a documentation that has the following, per the company website.

Southwest
Southwest Airlines allow for travel of emotional support animals within the cabin, except for destinations to Jamaica.

United
Flying with an Emotional Support Animal on United Airlines requires documentation similar to other companies. However, the airline has some rules as to where the animal should be within the aircraft’s cabin. Specifically, “an animal should sit at the customer’s feet without protruding into the aisles to comply with safety regulations.

Alaska (formerly Virgin)
Alaska Airline’s ESA policy for travelers with emotional support animals is standard and as with the rest, the ESA letter should be issued not more than a year before traveling.

https://esadoctors.com/airline-requirements-for-traveling-with-an-emotional-support-dog/

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I’m severely allergic to most dogs and I travel a ton for work and thankfully I get to sit in comfort plus most of the time or first class. This has gotten so out of hand. I fully support service animals that are support animals.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The problem is that there are on-line ESA certificate mills that will get you an ESA letter for about $50. It's easier to get a phony ESA certificate than it is for a college freshman to get a fake id.

+++++

As I've said upthread, I think the simplest thing to do is to drop the whole game of charades. Allow passengers to bring pets on board, in accordance with whatever rules are set by the airlines. The airlines will devise a scheme that will allow them to make more money, which they logically should when they provide an additional service.

The exception, of course, is for legitimate service animals, and again the airlines can adopt whatever policies they desire to ensure that the exception is extended to animals that are truly qualified.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Thank you Heathpack. That's interesting to know although I would have liked the article to have been a bit more comprehensive rather than providing two examples of European carriers particularly as the author states that the rules are different in mainland Europe.

Well it was just a 30 second google search. I’m sure if you were really interested in specifics they wouldn’t be hard to find with a little more searching.

The reason I knew what you were saying didn’t sound right is that I have a friend who travels for a month every summer to Austria- with her dachshund in a carrier under the seat. Pet dog flying in Europe, I was aware that wasn’t a particularly rare thing.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem is that there are on-line ESA certificate mills that will get you an ESA letter for about $50. It's easier to get a phony ESA certificate than it is for a college freshman to get a fake id.

+++++

As I've said upthread, I think the simplest thing to do is to drop the whole game of charades. Allow passengers to bring pets on board, in accordance with whatever rules are set by the airlines. The airlines will devise a scheme that will allow them to make more money, which they logically should when they provide an additional service.

The exception, of course, is for legitimate service animals, and again the airlines can adopt whatever policies they desire to ensure that the exception is extended to animals that are truly qualified.

The problem is, people need to understand and accept that emotional support animals do in fact provide a legitimate service.

As for the "on-line ESA certificate mills" you mentioned, do you know of any you can share with us? :ponder:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m severely allergic to most dogs and I travel a ton for work and thankfully I get to sit in comfort plus most of the time or first class. This has gotten so out of hand. I fully support service animals that are support animals.

So, can we assume that you're not allergic to the support animals you referenced? :ponder:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The problem is, people need to understand and accept that emotional support animals do in fact provide a legitimate service.

As for the "on-line ESA certificate mills" you mentioned, do you know of any you can share with us? :ponder:
Just Google Emotional Support Animal letter and follow the "sponsored" links. You can have your letter in 24 hours after paying money. Our teams licensed professionals are waiting on-line now to respond to you. I'm not going to post any links, because why should I do something that will give those sites search engine pop.

Where do you draw the line between an emotional support animal and a pet? Really, you can draw the line anywhere you want to draw it, and if you make money giving out ESA letters, you will readily conclude that any animal that provides comfort to a person is providing emotional support. And when you can draw a line anywhere you want, there is not such thing as a line.

++++++

But I don't know why you seem to be contending with me. You and I are in total agreement. I understand and accept that emotional support animals provide a legitimate service. I agree that people should be allowed to fly with emotional support animals. I just don't see where ESAs are in some fundamentally different category than pets. That is completely different from use of a service animal to provide vision or hearing assistance to a blind or deaf person.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just Google Emotional Support Animal letter and follow the "sponsored" links. You can have your letter in 24 hours after paying money. Our teams licensed professionals are waiting on-line now to respond to you. I'm not going to post any links, because why should I do something that will give those sites search engine pop.

Where do you draw the line between an emotional support animal and a pet? Really, you can draw the line anywhere you want to draw it, and if you make money giving out ESA letters, you will readily conclude that any animal that provides comfort to a person is providing emotional support. And when you can draw a line anywhere you want, there is not such thing as a line.

++++++

But I don't know why you seem to be contending with me. You and I are in total agreement. I understand and accept that emotional support animals provide a legitimate service. I agree that people should be allowed to fly with emotional support animals. I just don't see where ESAs are in some fundamentally different category than pets. That is completely different from use of a service animal to provide vision or hearing assistance to a blind or deaf person.

An ESA letter must be written by a licensed mental health professional.

The rules are very clear when it comes to this question. In order to get a valid emotional support animal letter, it needs to come from a licensed mental health professional. Licensed mental health professionals include psychiatrists, psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, psychiatric nurses, licensed professional counselors, and other licensed therapists.

This is what your ESA letter needs to have:
Mental health professional’s letterhead and signature, as well as date of issuance
Mental health professional’s license type, date of license, license number, and the state that issued the license
Confirmation that an emotional support animal is a vital part of your life
Description of how the animal will help the condition (though they do not need to perform a task specifically for your condition)
“Prescription” (although not technically a prescription, it is commonly referred to as an ESA prescription) or recommendation for an ESA
Your name and details about your pet (type, breed, name, etc.) is not required but may be included

Like we have already explained above, only a licensed mental health professional can “prescribe” or recommend a valid emotional support animal letter. Take note of the term "licensed mental health professional".

And before this even comes into play yes, there are those claiming to be licensed mental health professionals. This is the case in any profession. If you wish to, you can find some scam artist who will provide documentation for any support animal. Even those animals supported in this conversation as legitimate. Does it happen? Of course it does. I've help put people in jail for claiming to be a doctor and even having their own office and guess what, all they had were fake degrees. So yes, it does happen. Always has and always will.

Just because someone doesn't believe that there are legitimate emotional support animals doesn't mean there's not.

Also, please don't take your pet to the airport claiming that they're a "legitimate" emotional support animal. Pardon the pun but, that won't fly. ;)

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Referring to the ESA letter mills -

Note that these sites do not exist to allow people to determine if their animal qualifies as a service animal. Nor do they advertise themselves as such. They exist solely for the purpose of selling people ESA letters. If people don't get ESA letters, the site doesn't get paid. This is a lowest common denominator issue. The site that is the most lax about giving out ESA letters is the site that is going to thrive and is going to have the highest satisfaction ratings on Google, Yelp, or any other rating service you want to pick.

Bear in mind that a "licensed professional" linked through these sites is not being paid for an opinion. They are being paid for a letter. That's a big difference. (FWIW - I'm a licensed professional, and in my business, making payment contingent on a favorable opinion would lead to loss of license and expulsion from some important technical associations.)

Also consider what their liability is if they fail to exercise professional care. Do they have to pay for cleaning up the mess if the animal misbehaves? Are they on the line if the animal bites someone? Hardly! So from their standpoint, this is nothing opportunity to earn $25 for 15 minutes on the phone with someone, so I can check some boxes and give someone a letter. If I don't give them the letter I don't get my $25. And there's no risk for me if I give them the letter even if they don't need it?

As noted above, those sites are in the business of getting people ESA letters - not assessing clients. If I'm a licensed professional on the referral list and I don't issue ESA letters on demand, do you think that the site is going to continue referring inquiries to me? Do you think one of these sites is going to make referrals to a Professional who is going to turn down requests? Of course not - they are going to send referrals to whatever professional generates the most income, and that is the professional who has minimal (if any) standards, and who spends the least time with each client (so that they can maximize the number of letters they issue).

++++

But for arguments sake, let's assume there is a legitimately provided ESA letter. The ESA only says that the animal is an ESA. It doesn't mean anything about whether the animal is appropriate to bring on an airplane.

Fro example, even if a canine is an ESA, it doesn't belong on a plane if it is yapping at other dogs or other people on the flight. It shouldn't be trying to barge into the aisle. It shouldn't be trying to squirm into the lap of the person in the next seat so that it can get a look out the window. It shouldn't be begging for table scraps.

It can do all of those things, and still be an ESA.

++++++++++

Air transportation has been occurring for well over fifty years. As others have noted above, why has this only become an issue recently?

Again - I think there is a simple solution. Let carriers establish policies for bringing any animal on board that is not a trained service animal. (Please note that I am drawing a clear distinction between a trained service animal and an emotional support animal.) If you have a need to travel with your animal, then book a seating that allows you bring your animal on the plane.

Last edited:

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
30 rather interesting ESAs, not all, but some of which have flown.

https://bestlifeonline.com/emotional-support-animals/

According to the article, Turtles, Geese, Ferrets and Peacocks among others have been declared ESA by folks planning to travel by airline. I am amazed that those folks somehow got around before they discovered they needed such items to calm the stress of flying.

Cheers

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
T.R. look at post #38. The airlines have established their own rules. Go to the site and they will show you these rules.

Either way, ESA are very real and are allowed on flights. We can continue our dance, with little being agreed to though. Once again...

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." ;)
Stuart Chase

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
T.R. look at post #38. The airlines have established their own rules. Go to the site and they will show you these rules.

Either way, ESA are very real and are allowed on flights. We can continue our dance, with little being agreed to though. Once again...

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." ;)
Stuart Chase
I am familiar with the rules, and it's pretty easy to say that the rules aren't working. Lots of animals are being boarded on planes that have no business being on planes because they haven't been trained to behave. Maybe everyone of them is an ESA - I doubt it - but for arguments sake I will concede that everyone of those animals is a legitimate ESA.

The problem, as I have noted previously, is that if they deny boarding, someone can cry "Fowl" (pun intended) and legitimately assert a claim for unfairly being denied boarding. Whereas there is little to no liability for making an error the other way. Consequently we are in a situation, where effectively, the airlines have adopted a policies that allow allow almost any passenger to claim that their animal is an ESA.

++++++++++

Let's continue to dance. Is it your contention that passengers should be allowed to board planes with ESAs who lack training for proper behavior on planes? If your answer is "Yes", then I think we can end the dance, with an agreement to disagree.

But if you believe that animals who have not been trained to behave properly on airplanes should not be allowed to board, how should that be enforced?

+++++++++++++

And I'll set aside, for the moment, the rejoinder that homo sapiens is an animal species, and if we allow homo sapiens to board who do not know how to behave on an airplane, why should we deny boarding to other member of the animal kingdom? :)

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
So, can we assume that you're not allergic to the support animals you referenced? :ponder:
I'm allergic to most dogs. Since this situation with everyone bringing their dog on board as a service animal my allergies have been really bad on flights that have 4 to 6 dogs on a flight...

I was not trying to be rude and I do fully support those folks that have true support animals, its just gotten out of hand with the folks that buy the best for their dog and say its a service animal...