• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Was it a Moment of Weakness at Welk?

Guitarmom

Reaction score
Went to an owner's update at Welk yesterday. Bottom line: we bit. I feel like we did the right thing, and yet we violated the guiding principal of "Never Buy From the Developer." I'm interested in your thoughts.

Background: We have a lot of family in Escondido, so over time we bought different contracts on the resale market. We had 240,000 Platinum Points, one fixed week (Thanksgiving week), and a two bedroom lock-off at Villas on the Green. Nine times out of ten, we went to Welk in Escondido for any vacation.

Welk offered to combine those three contracts into 780,000 Platinum Points for well under $10,000. Doing this gave us a reduction of about $1,000/year in maintenance fees, so we will break even in less than ten years and will continue to have reduced costs after that. Our feeling was, let's spend the money now while we're both working so that we can have lower costs when we retire.

Couple that with a lot of perks, like extended reservation windows, extended time to make a reservation if we've rolled points into the next year, reduced point usage if we make a reservation less than 45 days ahead, and a free week banked into RCI every year upon request—all of which we will use—and we feel like we won the lottery. We simply cannot believe we got all this and will break even in less than a decade.

We're still in the window of time when we can rescind. So tell me, do you think this sounds like a moment of weakness or a good deal?

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
My family did something very similar a few years ago. We traded three fixed week Villas for 780,000 platinum points. Same price as you paid. I don't feel I won the lottery, but I don't regret the choice. We also have another fixed week in the Villas. With 780k points (or more) my MF fees per point are the same as I pay for a Villas deed. In other points systems using a trust fund ownership system, the point fees tend to be higher than the deeded fees (Welks are too if one has a small account). So, I like Welk points for this reason.

I also like the flexibility of points, particularly the ability to reserve different size units in the exchange companies. I can get 6 1BR weeks with 780k points and the cost per week is very good compared any alternatives I've found.

Finally, 780k points still have some value in the secondary market. I've seen at least three recent sales for about $10k. When I retire in a year or so, I'm thinking of adding another 780k resale points.

My bottom line is that I'm indifferent between the 780k points and the three deeds. I don't regret the trade.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I suppose a different view might say: You can buy 780k resale points for about $10k and you can sell your three assets for $3-$4k each. You can likely break even. So, are the "Select" benefits plus the time and energy to buy and sell in the secondary market worth $10,000? I've not used any of the "Select" benefits. Although the extended window for saved (accrued) and borrowed points might be useful.

Last edited:

Guitarmom

Reaction score
I suppose a different view might say: You can buy 780k resale points for about $10k and you can sell your three assets for $3-$4k each. You can likely break even. So, are the "Select" benefits plus the time and energy to buy and sell in the secondary market worth $10,000? I've not used any of the "Select" benefits. Although the extended window for saved (accrued) and borrowed points might be useful.
Thank you. I hadn't thought of that, mostly because my favorite resale broker doesn't have any large packages right now. I didn't think Toni look elsewhere.

And your question is spot on: are the "Select" benefits worth this outlay of money? DH and I will definitely be talking this through!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
My opinion. You bought where you like to stay, got a pretty good deal. Enjoy it! If you start shopping around you might find cheaper, but not all the benefits that you now have.
I would keep it.
Silentg

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Guitarmom, we are former Welk owners having converted our fixed unit fixed week unit to their points program (360,000 points) before selling our ownership after several additional years of use. We did enjoy the additional flexibility of the points program as our kids weren't traveling with us any longer and we didn't always needs a 2 BR unit.

If you decide to keep the package you just upgraded to, but liked going to the fixed unit for Thanksgiving, you should consider telling them you want to retain your right to occupy that unit that week. We did that as we originally owned a fixed unit over July 4th week in a location that we really liked. They agreed to it for us, so they might for you too. We just had to tell reservations at least one year in advance if we wanted to use it. Otherwise, we just used our points. As it turned out we never used that option, but it was an added feature.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.

Best regards.

Mike

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
My opinion. You bought where you like to stay, got a pretty good deal. Enjoy it! If you start shopping around you might find cheaper, but not all the benefits that you now have.
I would keep it.
Silentg
I agree. This seems a modest investment for the extended reservation window and additional ownership perks. And since you have lots of family members in the Escondido area, this seems a natural to me. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is Welk's expanding portfolio of resorts, including Breckenridge. You'll have some awesome trading power if you choose to use it. I think you made a great decision!

Guitarmom

Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts on this. Your comments helped us to realize that there was an alternate pathway that we should consider. DH and I really weighed the pros and cons of each pathway. We appreciate each and every perspective you brought to this discussion.

I'm the end, we had to recognize two things: the extended windows & rollovers are really important to us, and we don't have enough spare time in our lives to manage what would be four escrows. So we're sticking with the Welk Platinum Select package.

This has been a very valuable discussion on many, many levels. Thank you for helping us determine that this was a decent deal and not "a moment of weakness."