• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wall Street Journal Article - Marriott / Starwood Merger

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Paywall, even in private browser. Cornell, without pasting the whole article (which is not allowed), would you be willing to share some key points or a summary from the article? That would be interesting to know.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Paywall, even in private browser. Cornell, without pasting the whole article (which is not allowed), would you be willing to share some key points or a summary from the article? That would be interesting to know.

@TravelTime posted some excerpts in the Marriott forum on TUG.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup, already found it and read it. Thanks.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excerpt:

The company resolved one major issue involving elite-night credits earned from credit card spending just last week, more than three months after the integration. That problem left many members in limbo, unsure of how close they were to hitting elite-level thresholds before year’s end.

For hotels, the loyalty program is the glue that binds dozens of different brands together. For frequent travelers, it’s in many ways the most crucial part of selecting which hotel to book. Without its loyalty program, Marriott would be 30 different brands and 6,700 individual hotels world-wide. With the loyalty program, tens of millions of travelers have a reason to seek out anything connected to Marriott, where they know they can earn points, receive upgrades, free nights and perks like lounge access and free breakfast.

The loyalty program also becomes the backbone for multiple credit card rewards. (Payback on one popular card declined significantly after the merger, angering many SPG loyalists before the computer issues began.)

Marriott says the computer problems revolved around four main areas: accurately showing elite status, redeeming suite upgrade awards, getting points restored when award reservations were canceled and missing credit for stays.

For some, Marriott’s lack of communication has been the most frustrating thing. While hotels are often quick to throw extra points at loyal customers and offer apologies for leaky faucets or noisy remodeling work, Marriott hasn’t always acknowledged problems or offered compensation for time and troubles, they say.

“All they’ve said is, ‘We’re working on it,’ ” says Mr. Stedman, who travels for government contract work and decided this fall to stay at Hiltons and Holiday Inns until Marriott sorts its problems out. “They haven’t been proactive at all, and it kind of ticks me off.”

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cornell, thanks for the excerpt. I did notice some website hiccups last summer after the published date of when the Marriott site was supposed to be back up and running, plus it took awhile for my converted SPG-to-MR points to show up in my account. Fortunately, it wasn't during a time when I had to book any stays.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It's only super interesting if one has a subscription to The Wall Street Journal. Without that subscription, the link may as well not even be provided.

I always provide the link for the few who subscribe and/or want to know the source.