• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wait List Issues

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We called in to reserve 3 wait list reservations indicating we wanted all 3 of them to come through and did not want to cancel if 1 request came in. We were assured repeatedly by the rep. it was done that way. The new online site did not seem to have a way for us to reserve that way so we called in. We got one of our requests and none of the others. When I looked online yesterday, one of our other requests was on the site. Luckily we were able to grab it . I can't believe that the rep. who answers the phone is so inexperienced. Usually we have had good luck with Hyatt reps. This one was rude and pretended to know everything. I would have hung up and tried again but the wait was so long.
Just a warning to be careful when doing wait list. Should there be a separate reservation number for each week you are reserving?

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I agree with you about the quality of CR/Owner's Services reps over the past year. They have really degraded. My advice is that the moment you feel you've got someone on the line who is incompetent, hang up and call back--even if you have to get back in the queue again.

I also have made a note to myself to ask for Nelson at Extension 8244 whenever I need help. He's excellent.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree with you about the quality of CR/Owner's Services reps over the past year. They have really degraded. My advice is that the moment you feel you've got someone on the line who is incompetent, hang up and call back--even if you have to get back in the queue again.

I also have made a note to myself to ask for Nelson at Extension 8244 whenever I need help. He's excellent.
Thank you! We wished we had asked the names of the folks that were incredibly helpful. I will keep Nelson's info in my phone. Appreciate the tip.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
When ever I make a request thru a human, I specifically ask them how did they check the "cancel box". It has ALWAYS been a problem between reservations and IT. Yes means no and no means yes. They need to read the question to you and tell you how they responded.

This problem will only happen once where you get hijacked; from then on "fool me once......". Hyatt claims they cannot reverse the error as that would mean removing the reservation from the owner who benefited from the error (at your expense). They would definitely not want to make that owner upset. Too bad for you though. :crash:

stover33

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to have a waitlist request with multiple units but place priority on one of them over the others?

For ex... I was trying to reserve 3 units at Breckenridge for a family trip, but preferred one of them be a 3br since one of the groups has 6 people, and a 2br might be tight for them. Since I know 3br units are harder to come by, I placed a wait list request for three 2BR units, and one 3BR unit, planning to cancel the extra 2BR request if the 3BR got filled. As it turns out, all 4 got confirmed on the same day, so now I have an additional 2BR unit that I don't need and will likely have to pay a fee to cancel.

It would be nice to have some way to tell Hyatt "IF one of the 3br units is available, THEN cancel only ONE of the 2br requests", but I don't think that is possible.

Probably not a situation that comes up that often, but I'd imagine other people often place a backup request for a smaller unit in case their first choice is not available (a 1BR at Carmel in case the 2BRs are not available, for ex.) If they get filled the same day, those people will end up with an extra reservation.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of Hyatt's blind waitlist method. This being my first year of CUP use and not fully being experienced on how things work, I put in several requests for a resort at various weeks just to hedge my bet on getting the reservation filled, and I ended up getting a week that wasn't my first choice while the other week that I preferred was showing available. I wish they would waive the CUP fee and let you cancel if it's within a few days of waitlist confirm. I'm used to and prefer Starwood/Vistana where there is no blind waitlisting and you just book at 8months out for non-home resort usage.

peas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually really like the Hyatt waitlist method. Though I'm not a fan of the blindness of it, I really like its set it & forget it method. I dislike having to clear my schedule at a certain time on a certain day exactly X months out just to get my week. It leaves me sweating bullets the few days/weeks prior to it thinking about fighting the entire club to get a certain timeframe. At time of booking, I'm all rilled up-- in a bad way.

That setup may be better for those of you who are more flexible, but due to our school aged children, I am usually after 1 certain week and location. I find the hyatt waitlist system frees up my brain space and probably does me more emotional good not having a set time to stress about it.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm not a big fan of Hyatt's blind waitlist method. This being my first year of CUP use and not fully being experienced on how things work, I put in several requests for a resort at various weeks just to hedge my bet on getting the reservation filled, and I ended up getting a week that wasn't my first choice while the other week that I preferred was showing available. I wish they would waive the CUP fee and let you cancel if it's within a few days of waitlist confirm. I'm used to and prefer Starwood/Vistana where there is no blind waitlisting and you just book at 8months out for non-home resort usage.
There is a lot more availability in general with Vistana it seems though. For Hyatt there are fewer units at many of their resorts so wait list does help. I am new to Vistana but was amazed at the number of openings we found at 8 months out. Hopefully this continues and it was not just a fluke.With Hyatt We have gotten some hard to reserve units using the wait list. I agree that the system is flawed as many of the reps don't know how to make a wait list reservation that doesn't cancel out your weeks when 1 come through. Its disturbing when we know more than the reps we call to learn info.