TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Vidnata NV - Grand Luxxe Room Service & kitchens advice needed

Discussion in 'Mexico Timesharing' started by zentraveler, Nov 1, 2018.

1. zentraveler

zentraveler Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

We stayed last year in one of the studio/hotel room units at the Grand Luxxe (building 5) and we used room service a lot; we found it reliable and fast, and the food was quite good.

This year we are staying in 2 BDRM unit. Any experience with using room service in the areas of the resort where the units have kitchens? Slower? Less consistent? Also, are the kitchens in those units reasonably outfitted -- a decent knife, enough equipment to cook simple dinners?

Thanks for any info.

[Moderators, I posted this earlier today in the wrong forum. Please delete previous post if appropriate; sorry]

2. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Massanutten, Wyndham Bali Hai, Grand Luxxe
    The kitchens are reasonably well equipped, though they don’t have ovens unless you’re in a loft unit or higher. There may be a fairly large toaster oven you can substitute for that; they have those in the spa units at least. There will be a microwave, blender, coffee maker, etc. The main cooking stuff is a 4 burner cooktop and some usable pots and pans. Every time I’ve stayed there has been two knives I would call serviceable rather than decent; I’ve got fairly high standards though. They’re good enough to use for what you’ll be able to do there.

The room service is fairly uniform throughout the resort. Don’t use it much myself; we wind up going to the restaurants when we aren’t making our own meals.

3. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    Eric - any idea if Grand Luxxe kitchens have a teflon type frying pan ?

I find the Mayan Palace & NV Sea Garden kitchenettes well equipped .

They have good quality Mexican style. pans including a frying pan . Due to my (limited) cooking skills I have trouble cooking omlets & heating wheat tortillas in this pan . as a result we,now bring a small non-stick style pan with us .

I also bring a supply of medium zip lock bags for easy storage of left overs . That said - the bowls and small plates seem to be designed to use the plate as a “lid “on the bowl for storage.

FYI - there is a good farmers & craft market on Saturdays behind the OXXO (that is near the SEA GARDEN NV ) It runs from approx. Nov - May . We have bought vegetables and fruits , good guacamole , sausage etc from local vendors .
    Some of them also have booths at the Sunday market near Paradise Village .

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Eric B likes this.
  4. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    No Teflon or other non-stick pans in Grand Luxxe; they’re all simple fairly lightweight steel ones. I’ve given up on making omelets there, too, but they work great for scrambled eggs.

5. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Oh, thanks for the tip about the market by OXXO; I’m down there again tomorrow and will check it out. My wife got down there early and actually figured out how to take the bus from the airport to Buganvilias for less than a dollar. She’s using the free 4 day stay from an SFX deposit before I get there.

6. zentraveler

Happy for the info on all counts. The farmers market sounds great and happy to know that room service will likely still work when we don't want to cook. Knives are always a weak point in resorts. Even if they have a good selection of them, they are usually as dull as butter knives. When we go to Hawaii we pack a decent knife (as well as a metal salad bowl and salad tongs, zip-lock bags, scissors and a few other things we like to have) but when we did that once for Mexico the knife was a real problem and we had to go through the "open your bad" hassle. Now I pack a Swiss Army Knife for Mexico.

What is in Buganvillas? I have read other posts where people mention going there but I can't figure out why!

7. zentraveler

Happy for the info on all counts. The farmers market sounds great and happy to know that room service will likely still work when we don't want to cook. Knives are always a weak point in resorts. Even if they have a good selection of them, they are usually as dull as butter knives. When we go to Hawaii we pack a decent knife (as well as a metal salad bowl and salad tongs, zip-lock bags, scissors and a few other things we like to have) but when we did that once for Mexico the knife was a real problem and we had to go through the "open your bad" hassle. Now I pack a Swiss Army Knife for Mexico.

What is in Buganvillas? I have read other posts where people mention going there but I can't figure out why!

8. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    There’s another timeshare resort called Buganvilias in PV close to the malecon. Atmosphere is a bit different than Vidanta, but it’s convenient to getting out in town.

9. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    In 2017- the start date was Sat Nov 4 / so it is likely starting this weekend in 2018 season
    Your wife will like it as well , & can spend the pesos she saved by taking the bus .

FYI - If you see the family run food booth that makes blue corn tortillas , fresh in front of you & sells taco lunches ; be sure to try them . I think they are located nearer the Oxxo .

- The grill in Oxxo makes pretty good lunches as well .

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Eric B likes this.
  10. Jimbotoo

Jimbotoo Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Vidanta Grand Luxxe Residence Club Nuevo Vallarta;
    Grand Luxxe Entertainment Collection
    FYI - there is a good farmers & craft market on Saturdays behind the OXXO (that is near the SEA GARDEN NV ) It runs from approx. Nov - May . We have bought vegetables and fruits , good guacamole , sausage etc from local vendors .
    Some of them also have booths at the Sunday market near Paradise Village .

This Farmers Market sounds awesome! We will be at Vidanta for 3 weeks in January, arriving at the airport on Saturday about 12:30. It will take time to get to the resort and get checked in. Does anyone know how late the farmers market is open. It sure would be great to start our week with some fresh produce.

11. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Not sure how late it’s open, but it is running now. There wasn’t that much produce, but we did get some good cheeses and eggs.