• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta Resort Fees Changed Again - Lowered

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Looks like Vidanta has figured out that the high resort fees with a 25% credit are a barrier to people (sales prospects) exchanging in. They've actually lowered the fees in RCI and The Registry Collection and eliminated the 25% credit, though it's still a 14-day prepayment. The new fees are per week based on unit size and location; I didn't look at them all, but a sampling was:

Location - studio-hotel - 1BR - 2+BR
Nuevo Vallarta & Los Cabos - $252 - $378 - $630
Riviera Maya & Puerto Vallarta - $168 - $252 - $420
Acapulco - $126 - $210 - $336

No fees in Mazatlan or at the Sea Gardens. I'm not in II, so couldn't check there.

This might make exchanging back in through RCI a better deal for some....

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Looks like Vidanta has figured out that the high resort fees with a 25% credit are a barrier to people (sales prospects) exchanging in .....
Location - studio-hotel - 1BR - 2+BR
Nuevo Vallarta ... - $252 - $378 - $ 630
Riviera Maya ......$168. - $252 - $420

This might make exchanging back in through RCI a better deal for some....

Interesting that RM & NV are now a different cost.

With all the Mayan Palace buildings in RM vs one building / 100 units or so in NV - the higher fee
must have impacted the exchanger fill rate in RM substantially .

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I didn’t check all the levels in RM, but that’s what it was for Bliss & Grand Bliss. Just assumed it was the same at MP & GM ‘cause I’m lazy. Think you’re right about the capacity effects, and there may be different costs. Lots more restaurants closed in NV now.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
I just went into II and did a 'mock' trade into the Grand Mayan NV and there is still and $30pp per day fee ($15 for children).

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
For any experienced TUG member reading this thread
Here is why Vidanta's issue is your opportunity- right now ( Sept 23 - 2018 )

RCI resort 6635 Mayan Palace - Riviera Maya ( probably 20 MP building on the RM resort property )

TPU cost - Sept - Dec 2018 - (no Christmas & New Years listed )
one bedroom - 7 TPU { 750 sq feet approx }
two bedroom- 7 TPU (sale) {1200 sq feet approx - 2nd bedroom is lockoff / hotel room studio }

TPU cost Jan - mid March 2019 / lots of availability
one bedroom -10 ( 9 after mid March)
two bedroom -12 ( 10 after mid March )

Lets say your TPU cost is $ 30 ( and I know some TUGGERS are at half that for their traders )

FEB 2019 week cost
12 TPU x $ 30 = $360
resort fee =$420
RCI exchange= $239

Total = $1019. / for a 2 bedroom

Mayan Palace level includes daily full housekeeping and all the towels you want .
( please tip the housekeeper & give a good review at check out)

While Vidanta has added upscale brands - we go in the winter for the warm sunshine ; & a MP unit is (IMO) likely similar to a Wyndham ( except for partial kitchen )

Vidanta does adjust the TPU cost regularly based on their fill rate by property - (so the best RM deals for 2019 snowbird season are likely now ,
because theu have a lot of capacity / MP buildings in RM ) and the resort fee structure may have impacted RM Mayan Palace booking levels .

{ I have Feb 2019 / 2 bedroom booked- at MP PV -Marina (only 200 units) for about 20 TPU's - booked well over a year ago)

There are TUG reports that you can negotiate 50% off the resort fee by agreeing to go to a sales presentation
The breakfast is very good . The "90 minutes" starts when you get to the sales floor , and it is high pressure .

Last edited:

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
“90 minutes”!!!??? I thought it was 900 minutes!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach (1Br, 2Br)
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach - Monte Cristo Estates
VIDANTA RESORT FEES

For reservations confirmed on or after August 1, 2018, all Vidanta properties will charge a mandatory resort fee that should be prepaid 14 days before check-in date. If confirmed, please watch for payment instructions from The Registry Collection.

There were zero fees with Registry collection up till now....

this sucks. last Vidanta trip is next year - glad I booked before fees were added.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
At least they’re lower now than they were in August....

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
At least they’re lower now than they were in August....
there were no fees when booking vidanta through registry collection.

RCI Compaired:
still higher than the 11 pp rate from 1 year ago. just glad I booked my 3 vidanta trips before these crazy fees went into effect...

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
there were no fees when booking vidanta through registry collection.

RCI Compaired:
still higher than the 11 pp rate from 1 year ago. just glad I booked my 3 vidanta trips before these crazy fees went into effect...

Actually, the fees in Registry started out at $1050 for a week for a 2BR+, same as RCI, on August 1st. They've now been lowered as I noted above; I had started a thread on the fees in Registry around the end of July to let folks know they had been instituted. I agree that it is a fairly negative thing to have the fees in Registry considering the higher average cost of MFs for eligible TSs as compared to RCI; I was just remarking that they are not quite as bad as they were. For me, the calculus still favors exchanging back in via RCI rather than Registry because I have lower cost trading TSs I can use there.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Actually, the fees in Registry started out at $1050 for a week for a 2BR+, same as RCI, on August 1st. They've now been lowered as I noted above; I had started a thread on the fees in Registry around the end of July to let folks know they had been instituted. I agree that it is a fairly negative thing to have the fees in Registry considering the higher average cost of MFs for eligible TSs as compared to RCI; I was just remarking that they are not quite as bad as they were. For me, the calculus still favors exchanging back in via RCI rather than Registry because I have lower cost trading TSs I can use there.

think we are both talking about 2 diff. things. (I could/can be wrong)

My experience:
I booked on July 17 at NV 4 bed residence for 2019. Zero Fees for registry branded unit.
Booked April of this year at RM Grand Mayan 2br for stay end of may. Zero fees for registry branded unit.

Regular gold crown/normal Vidanta inventory had fees (what ever the prevailing rate).

Looks like registry branded units sport a fee from vidanta vs. prior where no fee was present.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
II still shows the following when booking Grand Luxxe RM.

REQUIRED RESORT CHARGES
REQUIRED SURCHARGES (energy, accommodations/occupancy tax, bed tax, fees or other miscellaneous) ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE OCCUPANT AND ARE PAYABLE DIRECTLY TO THE RESORT. Surcharges are subject to change without notice. Effective April 2, 2018: Resort Fee: USD 30 adult/daily. Children 5-12 years of age: USD 15 per child per day. Guests will receive 25% in resort credits from resort fee, which could be used at restaurants, spa, or golf services.

Last edited:

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
II still shows the following when booking Grand Luxxe

REQUIRED RESORT CHARGES
REQUIRED SURCHARGES (energy, accommodations/occupancy tax, bed tax, fees or other miscellaneous) ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE OCCUPANT AND ARE PAYABLE DIRECTLY TO THE RESORT. Surcharges are subject to change without notice. Effective April 2, 2018: Resort Fee: USD 30 adult/daily. Children 5-12 years of age: USD 15 per child per day. Guests will receive 25% in resort credits from resort fee, which could be used at restaurants, spa, or golf services.
than I got a stay with no fees this past may. this language was not present prior to booking and was not asked to pay any fees beyond the 20 local currency room tax.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
think we are both talking about 2 diff. things. (I could/can be wrong)

My experience:
I booked on July 17 at NV 4 bed residence for 2019. Zero Fees for registry branded unit.
Booked April of this year at RM Grand Mayan 2br for stay end of may. Zero fees for registry branded unit.

Regular gold crown/normal Vidanta inventory had fees (what ever the prevailing rate).

Looks like registry branded units sport a fee from vidanta vs. prior where no fee was present.

Roger that; the only thing is that I had noted what the fees were they added on 8/1, which were reduced recently. When they gave the warning of the coming fees in late July I booked my last Registry exchange there to avoid them. They’re lower now than they were in August, but still shouldn’t exist for Registry exchangers in my opinion.

whitewater

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
just check my conf. from registry and nothing is listed other than the standard registry language that says some resorts charge fees.....

nothing is listed for mine.

will be my last till vidanta gets their fees in line....

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A couple of other changes I missed regarding the Vidanta fees; the site you have to go to in order to pay them (unless you pay by phone) lists the benefits you get, which have changed a bit. Most of the benefits stayed the same (transportation from the airport, a welcome drink, internal resort transportation, etc.), but they've added a 10% discount for all room charges and daily newspaper delivery at all of the resorts. At NV they include a tour for 2 to San Sebastian del Oeste and at RM a tour for 2 to Chichen Itza. The 10% discount has been a standard inducement for attending a sales presentation for quite a while, but if you read the terms and conditions page it isn't entirely clear whether it's really the case because they only list a 10% discount on spa services. I haven't made any new reservations since this change; when I do, I'll print out the whole page and the terms and conditions so I've got something to show them when I check out. My experience is that they are happy to adjust the bill for things you've been promised if you have something to show them and often without it if it is a standard promise they make.

The newspaper is listed in the T&C as a "service available," which probably means you have to ask for it. It's also a daily local newspaper, so I'm not sure whether they have English-language ones, though it would make sense in tourist areas.

A very quick search for tours to San Sebastian and Chichen Itza tours showed a cost of ~$75 or $50 respectively. That would make up $150 or $100, plus the drinks for a few more dollars, plus the 10% off makes up a bit for the fee.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The Welcome Drink always seems to be a bottle of water. :) We have been to Chichen Itza so that would not be an incentive for us. They should have options if they are offering an outside activity. Tulum, Xcaret, or Xhel-Ha at RM would be some awesome ones. In NV, the Yelapa day trip is fun, as are some other excursions,

When we stayed at both the Beach and Sun Palace in Cancun, we had choices and therefore we could choose what we wanted to do.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Welcome Drink always seems to be a bottle of water. :) We have been to Chichen Itza so that would not be an incentive for us. They should have options if they are offering an outside activity. Tulum, Xcaret, or Xhel-Ha at RM would be some awesome ones. In NV, the Yelapa day trip is fun, as are some other excursions,

When we stayed at both the Beach and Sun Palace in Cancun, we had choices and therefore we could choose what we wanted to do.

Actually, they charge for the bottles of water....

I have gotten a welcome drink coupon for an SFX exchange in RM before, though.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Actually, they charge for the bottles of water....

I have gotten a welcome drink coupon for an SFX exchange in RM before, though.

At GB on SFX Exchange, we were handed an 8oz bottle of water when we walked up to the front desk. At NV last year, it was a regular 16 oz bottle of water. No coupon for either - maybe that is just for GL.

They do charge for the ones in the room, but we never use them and do not get charged for them - if we do, we make them take it off the bill. Ours is always still in each bathroom, the kitchen and the under-counter frig cabinet in the 2nd bedroom and they still have the price stickers on them.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You’re right; forgot about those bottles!

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
At GB on SFX Exchange, we were handed an 8oz bottle of water when we walked up to the front desk. At NV last year, it was a regular 16 oz bottle of water. No coupon for either - maybe that is just for GL.

They do charge for the ones in the room, but we never use them and do not get charged for them - if we do, we make them take it off the bill. Ours is always still in each bathroom, the kitchen and the under-counter frig cabinet in the 2nd bedroom and they still have the price stickers on them.

Wow, they've downgraded quite a bit. LOL.

The first time we did Grand Luxxe was at Riviera Maya, and it was around January 2014 (?). We got champagne! (I think they only had the 2 buildings at the time?)

The next, was at Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta and we got that hibiscus something or other.

Can't remember what we got the third time at Grand Luxxe RM (that was in January 2017). Wasn't water. Definitely wasn't champagne.
LOL

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. We were in RM last October and we're given water when we arrived, plus a bunch of drink coupons (2 per person iirc) that said "free welcome drink" or something similar on them, that we redeemed for free drinks during our stay.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Well, we did decline the update. Guess that was another punishment for us!