• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vida Lifestyles

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
i just received my “welcome” phone call from Vida Lifestyles reviewing all of the absolutely wonderful features available to me.
Just like the TS sales and other resort updates they are selling something with a lifetime membership including all sort of resort weeks, cruises, 3X reimbursements of usage fees and a SFX Members Only members.
Anyone know what this is?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
There are good and bad points to it; Vida Lifestyle is run by International Cruises and Excursions (ICE), which is the company that runs the travel store for SFX and RCI travel. You can get cruise deals through them that are comparable to other travel agencies; their guarantee is for the price you actually pay after discounting the "Vida Dollars" you get for paying your Vidanta usage fees. You can also book non-Vidanta resorts at a reasonable rate, though not really top of the line ones. Benefits will depend on what level you are with Vidanta; if I remember right, you're at the Deluxxe level, which would get you VL platinum. They have a first Friday event every month during which you can buy cruise certificates, resort certificates, wine or merchandise on a first come first served basis with limited availability; it's really a deal shoot if you can get anything at that level. At the 2 BR loft level and up, you have access the day before, but it's still not a sure thing on being able to get anything. You can use the Vida Preferred SFX access for privilege weeks instead of maintaining an SFX diamond level membership, but you wouldn't be able to deposit non-Vidanta weeks through it.

the SFX travel store is essentially the same, but has access to Vidanta resorts. In the spring, they had access at the Jungle Luxxe level in RM and the GL 1 BR or studio level in NV; there wasn't any the last time I checked, though.

I've gotten good deals on car rental through them, but think it's the same cost as through RCI, so it might not be worth it was if you already have access there. The resort access is about equivalent to the last call RCI ones, though there aren't as many to choose from typically. It does provide another option for post-retirement travel when you're more flexible, though. I've seen good deals for the Pueblo Bonito resorts, for example, and haven't seem any return restrictions (i.e., 1 in 4) like you see for some in the big exchanges.

I think you also get a certain number of weeks you can use to go back to Vidanta in the off seasons, but I've never seen it tough to get in by other means then. The upgrade gets you a lower annual fee than just renewing, but you get a year free with the Vidanta purchase, so you can try it out first. I would recommend doing that and asking the sales guy that called for his/her extension in case you decide you like it. It would be tough to believe they won't be able to sell you an upgrade later if you decline now; they'd still get a commission, so they'd likely find a way to waive any restrictions they cite now.

Hope that helps.

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
Eric. Thanks for the information. I think I have two years so that does give me a good opportunity for a test drive. I was interested though for what the reference to the guy called the SFX Members Only membership which he suggested was higher level than the Diamond which came with the purchase. Have you heard of this?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
They called it Vida Preferred for me. They make it sounds like a higher level, but you can’t use it for your other TSs. Vidanta is my most expensive one and I have much more efficient exchangers to use. I have exchanged a GL week once with Registry Collection before Vidanta instituted the resort fees there because you get 2 weeks for 1 deposit there for a spa unit or higher; I might do that again for the right resorts, but am choosier about the efficiency of my vacation dollars. (Not sure about Deluxxe, but GL otherwise gets 1 Registry week and 1 RCI week for a deposit below the spa level - think Deluxxe would be the same.). Registry is a good way to come back to Vidanta in the off season at a higher level than you bought, but it’s only marginally more efficient with the fees; with a GL deposit you can get anything they have in inventory.

Bottom line would be that if you have other TS, the Diamond level is a better bet. The resort escapes and specials are otherwise identical, though I think the fees might be lower with the Vida Preferred level.

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
I have six other TS weeks and I usually use at the home resort I do exchange through II. my weeks are all at II resorts.

I did kind of a test deposit if one March 2019 week in St Martin into SFX. I was doing an online search with SFX anything in RM for June if next year and nothing. Shows up as being available for this or the two bonus weeks they gave me. Is this normal? Do you have to place a request to see anything?

I’m waiting for the Registry Collection membership to come through to see what I might get with my GL trade.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have six other TS weeks and I usually use at the home resort I do exchange through II. my weeks are all at II resorts.

I did kind of a test deposit if one March 2019 week in St Martin into SFX. I was doing an online search with SFX anything in RM for June if next year and nothing. Shows up as being available for this or the two bonus weeks they gave me. Is this normal? Do you have to place a request to see anything?

I’m waiting for the Registry Collection membership to come through to see what I might get with my GL trade.

Your best bet with SFX is to place an OGS for what you want.
The online search is just like RCI's:
It only shows CURRENT (that moment in time) "excess" inventory.

For example, you'll almost never (if ever) find "online availability" with RCI for Key West. Why? Because everyone puts OGS in and they get scooped up before they ever hit the online system.

You're still far enough out I'd think you'll have a very good chance of getting what you want for RM for June of 2019.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t think there’s much of an online search capability for SFX. You can place a request yourself with them, including whatever limitations you’ve got as comments, or you can call to discuss with a rep. They’re quite helpful and have a better understanding of what is currently and typically available.

There is a fair search capability on their site for privilege weeks at https://members.sfxresorts.com/specials/privilegeweeks/search, though it’s not always accurate. It currently shows availability in GL RM, but you’re best off calling. You can generally book those as either privilege weeks or as exchange weeks, including using non-Vidanta bonus weeks. It’s not worth searching for Villas and up because they generally don’t have the inventory.

You can see the Registry Collection availability by going to their website and entering as a guest, then selecting availability. There are two halves to Registry, a Points side and a weeks side that has less resorts; Vidanta is on the weeks side, though you might be able to get them to book one of the other ones if you notice it and ask. With GL, you should be able to get anything listed; the terms and conditions for Registry still don’t reflect a change they made in March.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
My experience with SFX was that the online inventory capable of search is limited to 60 days out, they keep the rest of it offline for manual matches to requests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Asl18940

Reaction score
I've been a Diamond member of SFX for about 8 years. I actually got it in connection with a prior HGVC membership and paid a significant amount to get a lifetime Diamond membership. Now of course they've diluted the benefits and want another $2600 or so to get the extras. So beware, SFX can and does change benefits even after you pay. That said, the main problem is that you won't really find great places to exchange to with a Grand Luxxe membership. There aren't many equals in terms of offerings. They sent me to a resort in Puerto Plata that superficially seemed to have the same amenities as the Grand Luxxe, but it was far from it. The cruise deals aren't really special, and I hear very mixed reviews about the ease with which you can convert points to airfare.

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
Thanks everyone for the information. I did wind up calling SFX direct to request a trade for June and they were able to secure the GL 1br. week I wanted for my daughter. Since this is a TS program we are dealing with I wasn't too surprised at the extra charge they added to the regular exchange fee for a "luxury upgrade" of $299 in addition to the $149 exchange fee. So the total trade cost to me was $1,124 including the trade's MF ($600), SFX fees ($449) and the $75 resort fee. I could have re-traded an II exchange that I currently have for GL in February for June a few days ago for the June date at no additional cost but now they show availability for the 1 BR is no longer listed and I didn't want to lose my February date.

The trade did turn out, however, to be less expensive that a Privilege week use where they required a $1,430 usage fee plus the $75 resort fee. I didn't realize that the cost of the Privilege weeks were that high, but they are still a few hundred bucks less than using the current Vidanta usage fees. Interesting!

I assume I will eventually catch on to the Vidanta/SFX system.

One last Vida rookie question. They show a MF reimbursement program if you deposit your unused weeks at other resorts. Less, their service charge. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What they give you for that is “Vida dollars.” If you use your ownership, you’ll have plenty of those and they’re only good for partial payment of some things (e.g., cruises) and they only guarantee the lowest price after those. I don’t see ever depositing a TS for them myself.

You might try seeing how much it would cost for a GL week using an SFX bonus week rather than a privilege week. I got a 2 BR GL next month for about $1149, I believe it was, plus the $75 resort fee. My understanding had been that the privilege week would have been the usage fee plus, or about $2100, but I don’t remember what they quoted me. That’s pretty close to the rock bottom low season, though; they might have better prices because of that.

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
What they give you for that is “Vida dollars.” If you use your ownership, you’ll have plenty of those and they’re only good for partial payment of some things (e.g., cruises) and they only guarantee the lowest price after those. I don’t see ever depositing a TS for them myself.

You might try seeing how much it would cost for a GL week using an SFX bonus week rather than a privilege week. I got a 2 BR GL next month for about $1149, I believe it was, plus the $75 resort fee. My understanding had been that the privilege week would have been the usage fee plus, or about $2100, but I don’t remember what they quoted me. That’s pretty close to the rock bottom low season, though; they might have better prices because of that.

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
I too thought that it was going to be Vida $ also but the rep (sales guy) stated that it was an actual check. Not Vida dollars. He is sales guy though. That’s why I brought up the question.

SFX person said it would come out to be a couple of hundred dollars more using the bonus week rather than the exchange week. I don’t have the exact amount with me now.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On the website they list the number of Vida Dollars you get depending on the unit size you deposit and if it's 60-180 days out of longer. There's a link provided to a form that says you'll have them in your account 5-7 days after you deposit the week. There isn't anything about depositing for a check. Think he must have been relating alternate facts.

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
I’m sure you are correct. Fake news

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
[QUOTE="mike53, post: 2198206, member: 53549"
SFX person said it would come out to be a couple of hundred dollars more using the bonus week rather than the exchange week. I don’t have the exact amount with me now.

[/QUOTE]

Vidanta is a float week system and their unit count is built for peak snowbird season & Mexican Holiday weeks . (ie)- Christmas Week to Easter / late April .

Therefore there is significant availability - all other seasons .
Figuring out the best / least expensive way in is a game you can learn & master .

FYI - the Celebrate Park / Cirque theme park under construction in Nuevo Vallarta could
alter summer season occupancy levels & greatly benefit Vidanta .
It is scheduled to open about the same time the Guadalajara to NV toll road is fully opened .
This will make NV a 3 hour drive from Mexico’s second biggest Metro area .

mike53

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner (2)
OBBR (2)
Island Seas (2)
Grand Luxxe
I’m sure you are correct. Fake news

Just to follow up on my post. I checked the Vida Lifestyles page on my cellphone and sure enough it specifically states Vida Dollars. No surprise.

I just now, though, looked again at the desktop web page and it says something completely different. It say something to the effect that for contracts signed after April 2018 (if I recall correctly...old age) it does state an actual refund check in dollars would be received for MF's (with limits and a $99 processing fee). ???

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too thought that it was going to be Vida $ also but the rep (sales guy) stated that it was an actual check. Not Vida dollars. He is sales guy though. That’s why I brought up the question.

That could be/sounds about right.

The bonus week pricing is here:

https://www.sfxresorts.com/bonusweeks

There are times where the bonus week has been a little cheaper vs. my exchange. Especially when SFX runs the promotion deposits where you get the "vacation cash" (like $100 off a $599 or higher bonus week).