• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

vero beach

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I do not think I have ever seen a subsidized dues Vero contract. With grand kids and school schedules in our future, Vero was out of the question for us because of wanting an 11 month window for booking WDW. Special assessments scared me off, too, with Hilton Head and Vero. Also was afraid of Disney cutting them loose.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not think I have ever seen a subsidized dues Vero contract. With grand kids and school schedules in our future, Vero was out of the question for us because of wanting an 11 month window for booking WDW. Special assessments scared me off, too, with Hilton Head and Vero. Also was afraid of Disney cutting them loose.
I've seen a number over the years but I haven't followed specific contracts in some time. Given the small size of the resort and relative number of points, they may be difficult to find. I looked for one at one time to use at VB but couldn't find one cheap enough I was comfortable proceeding. I also wonder if DVD would be more active in ROFR for those, they should be. But if one can find one and VB makes sense anyway, it's likely a good choice though it's just a math evaluation like VB in general for WDW. Same for Aulani. DVC has never had a SA but VB came VERY close at one time with formal discussions internally about one. IMO the SA issue is the least of the worries but it is a consideration. The other issue not discussed yet here is that both VB & HH have a risk of just being wiped out. I think that's a far more likely scenario than a SA but both unlikely. What happens if the resort is wiped out. Per the POS if the resort is planned to be rebuilt those member could use the points at other resorts subject to availability which is actually unusual in the timeshare world, normally you wouldn't be able to use them if your home resort was nonfunctional. If it was simply closed down, they would pay any expenses then divide any remaining proceeds, including insurance, among the owners pro rata. It's difficult to know what the proceeds would be but my best guess is about 50% of the current resale sales price on a per point basis give or take but less wouldn't surprise me. They then would not be members unless they owned elsewhere.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I've seen a number over the years but I haven't followed specific contracts in some time. Given the small size of the resort and relative number of points, they may be difficult to find. I looked for one at one time to use at VB but couldn't find one cheap enough I was comfortable proceeding. I also wonder if DVD would be more active in ROFR for those, they should be. But if one can find one and VB makes sense anyway, it's likely a good choice though it's just a math evaluation like VB in general for WDW. Same for Aulani. DVC has never had a SA but VB came VERY close at one time with formal discussions internally about one. IMO the SA issue is the least of the worries but it is a consideration. The other issue not discussed yet here is that both VB & HH have a risk of just being wiped out. I think that's a far more likely scenario than a SA but both unlikely. What happens if the resort is wiped out. Per the POS if the resort is planned to be rebuilt those member could use the points at other resorts subject to availability which is actually unusual in the timeshare world, normally you wouldn't be able to use them if your home resort was nonfunctional. If it was simply closed down, they would pay any expenses then divide any remaining proceeds, including insurance, among the owners pro rata. It's difficult to know what the proceeds would be but my best guess is about 50% of the current resale sales price on a per point basis give or take but less wouldn't surprise me. They then would not be members unless they owned elsewhere.

Good points Dean. I read on the Vistana forum that the Westin St John folks were all given some great incentives while they wait for it to be re-built. I can't recall the details but the postings I read made it sound like many owners were happy with how they were treated. I would assume Disney would do something similar or better if HH or VB were wiped out. I hope to one day trade my StarOptions to stay at WSJ so that is why I have been keeping up with those resorts. I assume that is a long term goal for us since owners with a WSJ home resort will be trying to get in as soon as they can and it will take a few years to rebuild it. I am amazingly impressed with how the Caribbean resorts are rebuilding so quickly in general.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good points Dean. I read on the Vistana forum that the Westin St John folks were all given some great incentives while they wait for it to be re-built. I can't recall the details but the postings I read made it sound like many owners were happy with how they were treated. I would assume Disney would do something similar or better if HH or VB were wiped out. I hope to one day trade my StarOptions to stay at WSJ so that is why I have been keeping up with those resorts. I assume that is a long term goal for us since owners with a WSJ home resort will be trying to get in as soon as they can and it will take a few years to rebuild it. I am amazingly impressed with how the Caribbean resorts are rebuilding so quickly in general.
The technical requirements are what I stated and that's all one should expect. The variables are going to be what happens to the points that are shorter notice, passed banking windows banked, borrowed or would be in holding plus lost reservations. Based on what I've seen over the years Disney in general and DVC specifically does great with individual issues but not as well with large picture issues. They've had a few opportunities over the years to handle big picture issues. They did great with hurricane interruptions but they did poorly with the valet parking change and with several refurbishment projects with in place reservations. And I believe they ponied up money to avoid a SA when VB was damaged before.

Specific to the valet issue. Valet parking was free to DVC members for years even after the valet was outsourced. But the contract came up and the company was no longer willing to do it just for tips so DVC had to decide whether to pay full price for those that wanted it or to go pay to play. Clearly with those choices, pay to play for those that wanted to use it was the correct choice but they implemented it poorly. They didn't notice it to the point where some checked in with free parking and left with charges with no warning. It was like cloak and dagger in the middle of the night.

They have a history of planning major refurbishments and scheduling them after reservations are already set. Can you imagine you reserve minute one at 11 months out or even walk a reservation that's difficult to get then it's pulled out from under you. There were 2 major AKV refurbishments and one BWV that impacted DVC members significantly that come to mind. The BWV took members away from BW view rooms and away from the resort many to SSR but overall they seemed to do better than the AKV ones. The 2 AKV ones did the same and one took them away from once in a lifetime concierge club stays almost exclusively to SSR. In addition, they handled it individually depending on who you talked to and where they were in the process. Some got the SSR for free, free dining plan and return of all points. Some got nothing but just a return of the points difference and no options except SSR with lots of in between. With AKV they left it up to the resort both times to notify and plan it which was a big mistake IMO and it was clearly not done well.

Let's say VB or HH were wiped out but they planned to rebuild, here's my assumptions of what they would and would not do. They would let you use your points at the 7 month window at other resorts as required and bank per rules. They would likely take points in holding status and give them back without the restriction. They would likely allow banking after the deadline. They would likely return borrowed points to the original UY. They would not allow extension or further banking of banked points (they didn't with the hurricanes). They would not allow booking outside the 7 month window elsewhere. They could not create inventory availability so if no availability means you lose the points, so be it. They would not allow non qualified points to be used for cash type items like the DC or DCL. They might allow a priority wait list in specific case by case situations but not en mass. There might or might not be some dues credits in the meantime but if there were it would be due to lower costs of items that dues cover while it's down.

Marriott has taken on resorts over the years some of which are no longer with Marriott, in some cases Marriott simply dumped them and in others they just agreed to disagree. Obviously each issue I'll reference has it's own nuances but for sake of this discussion, I'll generalize. I can think of at least 8 resorts off hand that are no longer in the Marriott system. For some of these, Marriott sold weeks as Marriott's through their resale side. Many who bought did so in large part for the exchange priority through II back into Marriott's. Of course that option went away once a given resort was no longer a Marriott. With the first 2 that left early on, I don't think Marriott sold any of those but for the rest I think they did at all or most. With the first one that left where they had sold weeks, I am told they gave those owners that had bought from them the opportunity to trade for another week still in the system but in inventory though I don't know details. Later they didn't give that option and denied it when asked.

It's just like the Marriott HH Hurricane thing this past year, they had to chose who got the rooms and who didn't. I know many have issues with how they did this but that they had to chose is factual. The reality is that the owner or exchanger is taking risk for these issues per the contract and legal documents and what's written is all the company is required to do and frankly, all that should be expected is within the framework of what the documents say.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Are Vero and Aulani the only DVC resorts that have some contracts with subsidized dues? And do the subsidized dues always stay with the contracts when they are sold to someone else?

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
Are Vero and Aulani the only DVC resorts that have some contracts with subsidized dues? And do the subsidized dues always stay with the contracts when they are sold to someone else?
Yes, Vero and Aulani are the only DVC that have some contracts with subsidized dues. Yes, they can be sold to someone else.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
As noted, they are the only 2 with ongoing long term subsidies. Others have had temporary subsidies during the active sales process. The reason for VB is that the resort was planned to be much larger and was scaled back thus increasing the dues over what they would have been. Legally they didn't have to do this, the disclaimer that phases might not be added would have protected them. For Aulani they simply miscalculated/misrepresented them and they likely did have legal risk had they not done so or some other measure that accomplished a similar end. I'm also reminded of the allocation that happened with BLT while in sales but before it opened. As I understand it they gave members the option of a refund or adding on even less than the usual 25 pts which is why you'll see an occasional contract of less than 25 pts there.