• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

vero beach

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Yes we stayed in April 2010

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
With that many weeks, you must be paying lots of$$$ On Maintenence fees.
I have 7 timeshares and I pay a lot in Maintenence too!

I think the MFs are reasonable because before we discovered the upscale branded timeshare market, we stayed in small hotel rooms for $400-$600+ per night. Now we can stay in 1 and 2 bedrooms with kitchens for a fraction of the cost.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
We bought DVC over 10 years ago, with the idea of vacationing with family, those plans worked out well.

Now we are adding on for our retirement and senior years. DVC is the most senior friendly timeshare out there, especially if you are flying. Honestly, you can vacation there well into your 80's, with not worrying about driving, luggage handling, and grocery shopping. We looked into buying a condo,
but when we figured things out, it makes much more sense to buy into DVC. Sure there is more economical ways but everything has a price, and sometimes the more economical ways are more expensive.

DVC has a strong resale, rental, family interest (meaning family will always visit you) value that if something should happen to us we would feel protected in a way that our family would not be in a bind over these timeshares.

My point is that piece of mind has value to it. How much value depends on your value of time, safety, convenience, and added worries.

Totally agree!

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Almost all of my DVC stays over the past 18 years have been on exchanges. VB, OKW, VWL, SSR, BCV, BWV and AKV. As many as 10 exchanges at one time for a family trip. But it is more difficult, for WDW it's essentially only SSR 1 BR with a rare AKV or AKV 1 BR for the past 3 years. I haven't looked at VB & HH but would figure they are available off season but not the rest.

Hi Dean, with all the DVC points you own and have owned over the year, why would you do DVC stays on exchange?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Dean, with all the DVC points you own and have owned over the year, why would you do DVC stays on exchange?
It has been much cheaper to do the exchanges and rent out the points. We've been able to stay where we were happy doing so. As I said, we'd planned to sell all but the 25 points but never got around to it. While I think exchanging in is workable for us going forward, I don't think it has the options it did 10 years ago. For a novice buying to exchange in would not be a good choice IMO but for someone looking to get to Disney and other places, owning something they could use but might be able to exchange in with could be a workable plan.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Vegas Blvd, Craigendarroch lodges x 2
It has been much cheaper to do the exchanges and rent out the points. We've been able to stay where we were happy doing so. As I said, we'd planned to sell all but the 25 points but never got around to it. While I think exchanging in is workable for us going forward, I don't think it has the options it did 10 years ago. For a novice buying to exchange in would not be a good choice IMO but for someone looking to get to Disney and other places, owning something they could use but might be able to exchange in with could be a workable plan.
That’s what I’m hoping my HGVC will be good for. I’ll try to exchange into the park DVC resorts. If not then the HGVC resorts aren’t too far away. I may still buy some DVC though! Lol!

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
That’s what I’m hoping my HGVC will be good for. I’ll try to exchange into the park DVC resorts. If not then the HGVC resorts aren’t too far away. I may still buy some DVC though! Lol!
Owning DVC points would allow you to book a DVC resort other than SSR. Saratoga shows up the most in RCI. Other DVC resorts are few and far between in RCI these days. I occasionally see OKW in RCI. And I personally have not seen AKL in ages in RCI.

We also use our DVC points to tack an extra two or three days onto a 7 night exchange thru RCI. Or after a 7 night exchange/Getaway with Interval International into Sheraton or Marriott, we book two or three days onsite at DVC. 9 or 10 day vacations work out perfectly for us. For May I have two one bedrooms booked at Marriott Harbour Lake for our daughters and a Sheraton Vistana Villages for my husband and I and then we move over to Disney property for the last few days using DVC points.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's a high risk high high reward play but if you're OK with the off property resorts in HGVC (which are overall nicer than DVC resorts), OK with SSR or similar, can do a 1 BR and plan far out; you're chances of success are high.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
We bought DVC over 10 years ago, with the idea of vacationing with family, those plans worked out well.

Now we are adding on for our retirement and senior years. DVC is the most senior friendly timeshare out there, especially if you are flying. Honestly, you can vacation there well into your 80's, with not worrying about driving, luggage handling, and grocery shopping. We looked into buying a condo,
but when we figured things out, it makes much more sense to buy into DVC. Sure there is more economical ways but everything has a price, and sometimes the more economical ways are more expensive.

DVC has a strong resale, rental, family interest (meaning family will always visit you) value that if something should happen to us we would feel protected in a way that our family would not be in a bind over these timeshares.

My point is that piece of mind has value to it. How much value depends on your value of time, safety, convenience, and added worries.

"My point is that piece of mind has value to it." - I agree!

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Unless there is a savings, it makes no sense to buy. Obviously it depends on what you're comparing to, for DVC it's comparing to on property cash and/or DVC rental.

I think - as long as you can afford it - there are many purchases that make sense for emotional reasons, enjoyment and peace of mind. Like I said before, DVC is a luxury, non-essential purchase. If we are strictly looking at financial reasons, then buying a DVC timeshare does not make sense at all. Going back to Disney again and again would, technically, be unnecessary. I hope I am communicating this properly. While I am a Disney owner, and purchased most of my points resale, I think it was a frivolous purchase but one we can afford and we did try to maximize our value. If we based decisions solely on saving money, we would own very little expect our primary home and 2 cars. We would have one pet instead of four including three expensive pure breeds. In fact, if we were solely concerned with financial savings, we would never buy a new car or go on a vacation far from home. In the olden days, when I was a kid, we never went on vacation more than 200 miles away from home (always by car) and that seemed like a luxury.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think - as long as you can afford it - there are many purchases that make sense for emotional reasons, enjoyment and peace of mind. Like I said before, DVC is a luxury, non-essential purchase. If we are strictly looking at financial reasons, then buying a DVC timeshare does not make sense at all. Going back to Disney again and again would, technically, be unnecessary. I hope I am communicating this properly. While I am a Disney owner, and purchased most of my points resale, I think it was a frivolous purchase but one we can afford and we did try to maximize our value. If we based decisions solely on saving money, we would own very little expect our primary home and 2 cars. We would have one pet instead of four including three expensive pure breeds. In fact, if we were solely concerned with financial savings, we would never buy a new car or go on a vacation far from home. In the olden days, when I was a kid, we never went on vacation more than 200 miles away from home (always by car) and that seemed like a luxury.
Sure but my point is that if it doesn't make financial sense at least compared to on property, it doesn't make sense at all. Just to be a member of the club doesn't make any sense.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well apparently I've lost all sense then. I put an offer in on a contract tonight. We'll see what the reply is and I'll let you know how it goes. They may just tell me to pound sand as I offered much less than they were asking but right around what they have been selling for so we'll see.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Well apparently I've lost all sense then. I put an offer in on a contract tonight. We'll see what the reply is and I'll let you know how it goes. They may just tell me to pound sand as I offered much less than they were asking but right around what they have been selling for so we'll see.

If you think you will have fun and you have the money, then go for it! Which DVC resort did you make an offer on?

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We were able to stay at Disney Vero Beach on an RCI exchange about8 years ago. Is it harder to get now?

I exchanged once their in 2009 via II and in April 2015 via RCI (20 TPUS). Haven't seen it show up again.....

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
Good luck.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana

Nice resort. I have seen their price per point all over the map so you should get one at a good price. If the one you made the offer on does not work out, I am sure you will find another contract at the price you are willing to pay.

Mosescan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ended up in a multiple offer situation so I had to amend my offer. I’ll find out after 5 tonight if I got it. It’s a big contract so it’s not cheap but it will pay for itself over time so I’m ok with it.

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Multiple offers on a timeshare are rare. How big is your contract?

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Did you get it?

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Pretty much just 1br SSR nowadays. There was a time a few years ago that exchanging was great. But now there are less opportunities and locations. Also RCI has increased the exchange fees plus now DVC collects $190 a week when exchanging in.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
I suspect DVC does not want folks to exchange because RCI does not have good options for trading into. That may be one way they keep their resale prices high. DVC is not a trader.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect DVC does not want folks to exchange because RCI does not have good options for trading into. That may be one way they keep their resale prices high. DVC is not a trader.
Overall they have been encouraging trading somewhat. I suspect their agreement with RCI requires a certain volume of exchanges

mj2vacation

Reaction score
It's a high risk high high reward play but if you're OK with the off property resorts in HGVC (which are overall nicer than DVC resorts), OK with SSR or similar, can do a 1 BR and plan far out; you're chances of success are high.

Which HGV resorts do you feel are nicer?