• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Value of Trading into a Mexico Timeshare Property if You Have to Purchase the All Inclusive Anyway?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of the Mexican company timeshares exceed the Vistana and Marriott level in terms of luxuries and service. Daily housekeeping, full ocean view, super spacious 1BR - 2 Bath with the 1BR, decoration fit for a king. Impeccable service at restaurants and amazing pools. Grand Solmar at Lands End in Cabo San Lucas is a good example. If you look at Conde Nast list of most luxurious resorts in Mexico, almost all of them are by non-US based developers.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Tom, I was tempted to go for a walk and check out the GL Jungle suites for myself, but the heat of August talked me out of it. I did talk to people we picked up along the way through the GL complex, who said the units were very nicely decorated but had no large balcony or dipping pool and were one bedroom suites. Your square foot analysis is probably correct. I would trade into one of those GL units using Interval International, bec you still get all the access that GL offers around the complex. But given the choice between GL Jungle and Grand Bliss, I would probably go with Grand Bliss at the Riviera Mayan location.

I was surprised that NV GL showed up on II for January 2019, which I booked. I guess the NV GL has enough capacity now with all their buildings to offer January to traders on II. Good for traders.

I am guessing, since I didn't go on an update, that they plan to finish the lazy river started when they were building these RM MP buildings. If so, it will probably be for GL only, but that is speculation on my part.
Ron

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Luxxe is one of the most luxurious resorts in the world, especially if you own one of their specialty products. It is a AAA 5 Diamond resort, better than the Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons. I just came back from the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta. The one, two, three and four bedroom two-level lofts are the most amazing units I have ever seen. They have two story windows with breathtaking views. They range from about 2000 to almost 5000 sf. To buy a time share in one of these units costs $100,000 to over $200,000 plus high usage fees. I doubt you could easily trade into one with a Marriott. These specific high end units are breathtaking. They are so amazing that they are the only Grand Luxxe units allowed to trade on Elite Alliance. The regular Grand Luxxe units are not "good enough" for trading on the Elite Alliance. The Marriotts and Westins are 4 star. The Grand Luxxe is 5+ stars. If you are lucky enough to stay in one of their 2 level lofts with 2 story windows, it is a 6 star experience. Do not confuse this with their new studio lofts. Those are their starter lofts, basically a glorified hotel room. Very nice but nothing special.

Last edited:

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, We are staying at the Royal Hideaway Adults Only in January in Playacar (Playa del Carmen). It is an AI and a Leading Hotel of the World. We are also staying at Pueblo Bonita Pacifica Adults Only for Christmas and it is an AI too. Both have reasonable AIs. For two people, we are paying about $1500 per week for RH and $1200 for PB and they are both highly rated resorts, much better rated than Marriotts and Westins. Pueblo Bonito has 29 restaurants. Royal Hideaway has 5-7 restaurants, all gourmet. So not all AIs are overpriced. You just need to know how to get good deals on the AIs. You don't get good deals on AIs with exchanges. They charge the full AI with exchanges.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Grand Luxxe is one of the most luxurious resorts in the world, especially if you own one of their specialty products. It is a AAA 5 Diamond resort, better than the Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons. I just came back from the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta. The one, two, three and four bedroom two-level lofts are the most amazing units I have ever seen. They have two story windows with breathtaking views. They range from about 2000 to almost 5000 sf. To buy a time share in one of these units costs $100,000 to over $200,000 plus high usage fees. I doubt you could easily trade into one with a Marriott. These specific high end units are breathtaking. They are so amazing that they are the only Grand Luxxe units allowed to trade on Elite Alliance. The regular Grand Luxxe units are not "good enough" for trading on the Elite Alliance. The Marriotts and Westins are 4 star. The Grand Luxxe is 5+ stars. If you are lucky enough to stay in one of their 2 level lofts with 2 story windows, it is a 6 star experience. Do not confuse this with their new studio lofts. Those are their starter lofts, basically a glorified hotel room. Very nice but nothing special.

Marriott trades/exchanges with II, I believe and II has access to Grand Luxxe. I don't think they have the Spa towers, but I could be wrong. Either way you could get a 1 or 2 BR Grand Luxxe via II/Marriott. I use SFX mostly for Grand Luxxe as it's cheaper for me.

But yes, the units are luxurious. We've only gotten the 1-2 bedrooms, though.

crazyj

Reaction score
Hi NYFLTRAVELER,

(snip)
The Bliss Jungle
The Grand Bliss Riviera Maya
Grand Luxxe Jungle Riviera Maya
Grand Luxxe Residence Club R.M

Can someone translate the II names to what the resorts (and other places like Tripadvisor) call them?

Specifically:
  • Grand Luxxe Jungle Riviera Maya (LXJ)
  • Grand Luxxe Residence Club Riviera Maya (LXR)
  • Mayan Palace Riviera Maya (MYI)
  • The Bliss Jungle Riviera Maya IV (BJU)
I am trying to match them up with the Vidanta map at http://www.vidanta.com/my-vidanta-new-content/pdf-maps/riviera-maya-en.pdf

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Can someone translate the II names to what the resorts (and other places like Tripadvisor) call them?

Specifically:
  • Grand Luxxe Jungle Riviera Maya (LXJ)
  • Grand Luxxe Residence Club Riviera Maya (LXR)
  • Mayan Palace Riviera Maya (MYI)
  • The Bliss Jungle Riviera Maya IV (BJU)
I am trying to match them up with the Vidanta map at http://www.vidanta.com/my-vidanta-new-content/pdf-maps/riviera-maya-en.pdf
This thread may help some. Specifically post #10.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/jungle-bliss-vs-grand-luxxe-riviera-maya.222780/

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott trades/exchanges with II, I believe and II has access to Grand Luxxe. I don't think they have the Spa towers, but I could be wrong. Either way you could get a 1 or 2 BR Grand Luxxe via II/Marriott. I use SFX mostly for Grand Luxxe as it's cheaper for me.

But yes, the units are luxurious. We've only gotten the 1-2 bedrooms, though.

I think you can get the basic Grand Luxxe units now because the developer is using them for promotional purposes trying to sell memberships. They are hoping as they develop and open the Park that they will be so full that exchangers will have more trouble getting into the Grand Luxxe and will probably be put into the Grand Mayan. Vidanta has a hierarchy in room assignments and exchangers are at the bottom of the hierarchy for room assignments. We joined simply to be able to better room assignments on higher floors with views. Next goal is to upgrade to get a gold or platinum designation because that gives the best room assignments. We love getting the best rooms and views. It matters a lot in Nuevo Vallarta and matters less in Riviera Maya. In future resorts, like East Cape (Cabo), there will probably also be amazing ocean views too.

crazyj

Reaction score

Thanks. That is what I was looking for. Unfortunately, these matchups don't seem to be confirmed so I did some more digging and here is what I've come up with.

II name: Grand Luxxe Jungle Riviera Maya (LXJ)
After carefully comparing photographs I believe this is the Grand Luxxe (so I will assume buildings 1–3 and on the map) and the specific room is likely the "Grand Luxxe Jungle Suite" on http://www.vidanta.com/en/destinations/riviera-maya/accommodations as that would explain the insertion of "Jungle" into the name.

II name: Grand Luxxe Residence Club Riviera Maya (LXR)
It makes sense that this would be building 4 on the map but i still have some confusion as II is showing availability of a "2e2 or 202" room indicating no bedrooms but http://www.vidanta.com/en/resort-hotels/grand-luxxe/riviera-maya/accommodations only shows 2, 3, & 4 bedrooms at The Residence. Grand Luxxe does have a "Master Room" which would seem to fit that description though.

II name: Mayan Palace Riviera Maya (MYI)

This one appears to be pretty easy and be a match for Vidanta's Mayan Palace, the buildings labeled 8 on the map.

II name: The Bliss Jungle Riviera Maya IV (BJU & BJV)
Again, after comparing photographs, I believe that this is the buildings labeled 9 on the map and is "The Bliss" on Vidanta's website. I'm not sure why II added "Jungle" into the name of this one as The Bliss does not seem to have room with the "Jungle" in the name.

I hope this helps and if anyone can confirm the accuracy of my guesses it would be appreciated.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many of the Mexican company timeshares exceed the Vistana and Marriott level in terms of luxuries and service. Daily housekeeping, full ocean view, super spacious 1BR - 2 Bath with the 1BR, decoration fit for a king. Impeccable service at restaurants and amazing pools. Grand Solmar at Lands End in Cabo San Lucas is a good example. If you look at Conde Nast list of most luxurious resorts in Mexico, almost all of them are by non-US based developers.

I agree. I have been blown away by the resorts in Mexico. There are many Mexican resorts on the AAA 5 Diamond and AAA 4 Diamond list of the world's best resorts. There are very few Marriotts timeshares and Westins timeshares on the list. http://newsroom.aaa.com/diamond-ratings/. The Grand Luxxe is a 5 Diamond and Grand Mayan is 4 Diamond. There are other Mexican timeshares on the list as well as many Mexican resorts that are not timeshares. Mexico has more 4 and 5 diamond resorts than any other country outside the United States.

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent you a PM on my take of your question. I own 3 weeks at Marriott Aruba Ocean Club and one week at Marriott's Surfwatch. IMHO the Grand Luxxe is far more luxurious than any Marriott timeshare I have been to. I have exchanged into the GL properties 5 times and I have another week coming up in 2019. We exchanged into Villa Del Palmar which was isolated ( we had a car) and not impressive. We stayed at the Westin Lagunamar last April-- it was ok, but the restaurants on property were mediocre and the palapas on the beach were crowded- they have a large beach, they could have been spread out. The Royal Islander has a beautiful beach-- we used to own there. The villas are nice, I have heard that they have recently been updated, restaurants on property are good and they are walking distance from other restaurants.

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent you a PM on my take of your question. I own 3 weeks at Marriott Aruba Ocean Club and one week at Marriott's Surfwatch. IMHO the Grand Luxxe is far more luxurious than any Marriott timeshare I have been to. I have exchanged into the GL properties 5 times and I have another week coming up in 2019. We exchanged into Villa Del Palmar which was isolated ( we had a car) and not impressive. We stayed at the Westin Lagunamar last April-- it was ok, but the restaurants on property were mediocre and the palapas on the beach were crowded- they have a large beach, they could have been spread out. The Royal Islander has a beautiful beach-- we used to own there. The villas are nice, I have heard that they have recently been updated, restaurants on property are good and they are walking distance from other restaurants.

Yes, I agree. Which room types have you stayed in at the Grand Luxxe so far? And which resorts?

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
GL we have stayed in 1 bedroom units, 2 bedroom units and a lock off. Stayed at both NV and MR properties.

Those are all nice units. So if you were impressed with those units, wait until you see the 2 level lofts. They are unlike anything on earth!

Hankmoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Through II, l cannot exchange into a loft.

That is good because being a loft owner is very expensive. I hope Vidanta does not dump developer inventory into II anymore. That is bad PR for members. It also demotivates people from becoming owners. On the positive side, I am an owner and was able to book a 1 bedroom suite today for January at the Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya. There were only 2 left for the date I wanted. There is hardly any inventory left for high season especially to book this late in the year. So I guess membership has its privileges!

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
All of our exchanges through II have been for high season! I have always found it interesting that we exchanged into the properties during high season and when we got there we met owners of the GL who were staying in the GM because they couldn't get into the GL. They had use of the pool etc, but they couldn't get a villa in the GL yet we got in via exchange- that doesn't show owner privilege to me.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Vidanta is all RTU - developer sells contract , builds more units ( in pesos) & repeat . Vidanta controls the inventory . Their inventory / reservations system is sophisticated and well run .
Owners have ARP and if you call when your booking window opens ( if you want Feb / high season ) you have an better opportunity to get your preferred reservation .

As the developer - Vidanta does deposits with II , RCI etc - and a savvy exchanger can do well .
Vidanta probably does this for cash flow and for new prospects for TS sales .
Vidanta will have a unit for owners - but not always their first choice . That is why it is RTU

If you own , TUG is a good place to learn how to use .
If you exchange TUG is a good place to learn how to get more for your deposits .

February - Warm Sunshine in Mexico is for all who visit[/QUOTE]

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Mexico and most, if not all, foreign countries all timeshares are RTU because of the laws that govern non nationals and their rights to own property. It is not to help Vidanta. We own timeshares in Mexico and Aruba and they are all RTU.